Is Patrick Mahomes a HOFer Already?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Is Patrick Mahomes a HOFer Already?

Post by acmillis »

If he were to never take another snap, does he get, "the knock?"

2-time League MVP
2-time SB Champion
2-time SB MVP

Why or why not?

Everyone who has one two MVPs are either in (Jim Brown, Unitas, Montana, Steve Young, Favre, Warner, P. Manning) or will be (Brady, Rodgers).
Naismith

Re: Is Patrick Mahomes a HOFer Already?

Post by Naismith »

He was a HOF'er before this game.

He has five AFC Championship appearances, three super bowls and 2-1 in those games, same as Peyton Manning's whole career. And he's 27.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Of course he is
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

1st ballot if he retires today.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Yes.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Asked and answered.
Don't tread on me
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Of course he is.

Adding to this, was this the most decorated season for a QB ever?

Mahomes was the first QB in NFL history to do the following in 1 season:

Win MVP
Win Superbowl and Superbowl MVP
Lead NFL in yards
Lead NFL in TDs
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Has there ever been any player at any position that is a guaranteed lock for the HOF after six seasons?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

When I tackle him, I'm going for that right ankle.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:43 am Has there ever been any player at any position that is a guaranteed lock for the HOF after six seasons?
Brady.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:43 am Has there ever been any player at any position that is a guaranteed lock for the HOF after six seasons?
Brady and Watt for sure, I'm sure there's more.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:59 am
Brady.
This…
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:04 am
Terrell Davis
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:12 am
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:04 am

Terrell Davis
True, I guess he locked it up in 4 seasons.

It's rare, but not unheard of.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

He’s past HOF status. He’s working on GOAT status. Got a bit of work there, though, to catch Brady….but it’s very doable.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:13 am He’s past HOF status. He’s working on GOAT status. Got a bit of work there, though, to catch Brady….but it’s very doable.
I think he's already in that "most talented QB to ever play" conversation with Rodgers, Elway, Manning, and Marino. I think he's probably already locked himself in the top 10 all-time.

Catching Brady will be almost impossible. There are so many factors beyond good/great QB play that are needed to win a Super Bowl, plus staying healthy as long as Brady did. I think it's a safe bet to say he'll finish in the top 3 all-time, but catching 1 will be extremely difficult.

He's vastly out performed brady in the regular season through his first 5 seasons, but it's still a crazy mountain of achievements to surpass.

Also, the head-to-head losses to Brady mean nothing to me. It's a dumb saying when QBs aren't facing each other, they are facing the opposing defense.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:13 am He’s past HOF status. He’s working on GOAT status. Got a bit of work there, though, to catch Brady….but it’s very doable.
He's not even close to GOAT status.

Can people pump their brakes a bit? He has two rings, Something Big Ben and Eli Manning have.

Unless he wins 8 rings, he's never going to be the goat. So he's got 7 more to go
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:18 am

Can people pump their brakes a bit? He has two rings, Something Big Ben and Eli Manning have.

Unless he wins 8 rings, he's never going to be the goat. So he's got 7 more to go
This also is a false statement. Rings matter, with context, depending on the argument. Even when Brady had 4, a large group still put Manning over him.

No one thinks Russell is the GOAT in the NBA, most leave him out of the top 10, but it's all the other stats, wins, comebacks plus the rings that solidify it for Brady. People don't put Eli or Ben in the same conversation as Rodgers, Marino, Brees, etc.

If Mahomes keeps his numbers up, he should be number 2 all-time in playoff passing in the next 2 years (10 away from tying Montana in Playoff TDs). He could win 5 and have an argument with additional MVPs, stats, wins, comebacks...still 3 more SBs is a difficult.
Last edited by uscbucsfan1 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

As usual BnB you are missing the forest for the trees
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

His help.

ISIAH
PACHECO

Rd 7, Pk 251 (KC)
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:21 am

This also is a false statement. Rings matter, with context, depending on the argument. Even when Brady had 4, a large group still put Manning over him.

No one thinks Russell is the GOAT in the NBA, most leave him out of the top 10, but it's all the other stats, wins, comebacks plus the rings that solidify it for Brady. People don't put Eli or Ben in the same conversation as Rodgers, Marino, Brees, etc.

If Mahomes keeps his numbers up, he should be number 2 all-time in playoff passing in the next 2 years (10 away from tying Montana in Playoff TDs). He could win 5 and have an argument with additional MVPs, stats, wins, comebacks...still 3 more SBs is a difficult.
No, rings absolutely matter, especially in the NFL.

Nobody gives a fuck about Russell's titles because he played in an era that nobody cares about.

Brady played in the greatest era of QB play ever(still the greatest as well) and emerged as the unquestioned best.

He also spent the first third of his career playing against real NFL defenses, and not this Mickey Mouse shit that Mahomes gets to exploit. QBs didn't have absolute free reign over the middle of the field like they do now and people are terrified to tackle QBs for fear of a flag.

Mahomes can't even be discussed in the goat status for at least another decade of continued high level play and AT LEAST 5 more rings. Then it's at least debatable

@Doctor of course I'm missing the forest because people are looking at an inflatable flailing arm tube man and trying to tell me it's a tree.

Mahomes is a good QB that's MASSIVELY assisted by Andy Reid. He can safely be labeled as the best QB in the league until Burrow or Allen or someone else gets some hardware.

But this goat talk needs to stop.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Hence the words “working on.” He’s going after Brady, but whether he gets there…well as usc said, prolly not. But you have to have goals. I think he can end up as the second greatest of all-time, passing Montana, Elway, Manning, Favre, and some of those greats. I think he can get to 4-5 rings, though. The difficulty is the AFC is a tough road to go through. Getting to the SB will be much tougher than winning it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

It took Brady 8 years to get his 1st MVP award. Mahomes has 2 in his 1st 6.

Anyone saying Mahomes isn’t close to GOAT status is definitely missing the forest for the trees.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Who gives a fuck a fuck about MVP awards? Rodgers has a bunch of those and doesn't even get a seat at the table, let alone a voice in the discussion.

If you're seeing a forest, I'm sorry to say, but there's nothing but a barren desert there. Maybe you need to check your blood sugar or water intake because you're clearly hallucinating.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Damn, @BucsNBills we get it, you don’t like Mahomes.
Last edited by Phantom on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:42 am Who gives a fuck a fuck about MVP awards? Rodgers has a bunch of those and doesn't even get a seat at the table, let alone a voice in the discussion.

If you're seeing a forest, I'm sorry to say, but there's nothing but a barren desert there. Maybe you need to check your blood sugar or water intake because you're clearly hallucinating.
We get it, you hate Mahomes, but most people see him and his career differently than you do.

The MVPs absolutely matter with legacy and it's why many, including Brady, have referred to Rodgers and Manning as 2 of the most talented QBs of all-time.

To say neither of them are in the top 5 all-time, despite not winning a lot, is a rare take.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Brady is not the GOAT only because of the 7 rings. If you believe you’re truly diminishing his impact on the game and not fully appreciating him or his craft. Winning championships is a by-production of excellence as a team, especially in football.

Michael Jordan is widely regarded as the greatest ever to play basketball. He doesn’t have the most rings. He doesn’t have the most points scored. Doesn’t have the most MVPS. His impact on the game and how he revolutionized it is what makes him the greatest. Same with Brady.

It’s a combination of a multitude of variables that gives someone GOAT status.

Edit: My mistakes, Michael Jordan does have the most finals MVPs ever.
Last edited by King Bootz on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

You're right, I do hate Mahomes, and stupid conversations like this are a big reason why.

I literally said he was the best QB in the league until further notice.

But even mentioning him in the goat discussion is disrespectful to the game and those that have come before him. He's gotta wait his turn and earn his way to that discussion.

Two rings doesn't cut it
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:49 am You're right, I do hate Mahomes
That’s all we needed to know.

Should be made into a sig for you.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:53 am
BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:49 am You're right, I do hate Mahomes
That’s all we needed to know.

Should be made into a sig for you.
And you have a body pillow with his likeness on it that you sleep with every night. What's your point?

Despite my hatred of him I'm still the only one being objective about the GOAT discussion here.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

:lol: :lol: :lol: You said he has to win 7 more rings in order to be considered the GOAT and you think you’re being objective?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:13 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: You said he has to win 7 more rings in order to be considered the GOAT and you think you’re being objective?
To beat the real GOAT you need to outperform him. Eight rings is the target.

And he's 0-2 vs Brady in games that matter, including getting embarrassed by Brady in the Super Bowl.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:42 am Who gives a fuck a fuck about MVP awards? Rodgers has a bunch of those and doesn't even get a seat at the table, let alone a voice in the discussion.

The king of the hallucinogens has spoken! :lol: :lol:
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

I disagree. A little.

It's possible that he could pass Brady as the goat without winning more rings. One, I doubt many QBs play as long as Brady in as good of a situation. He won't touch Brady career numbers but if he can have a prime that is utterly untouchable, that's the path.

If he goes 6 for 7 in the superbowl while keeping up his superhuman level of play for 12 to 15 years, it's an argument.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

People forget Brady wasn’t Brady until 2007. Let’s matchup his 1st 6 seasons to Mahomes’.

Brady: 80 games. 1577-2548 61.9% 18,035 yards, 123 TDs, 66 INTs 88.5 passer rating

Mahomes: 80 games. 1985-2993 66.3% 24,241 yards, 192 TDs, 49 INTs 105.7 passer rating

So don’t tell me Mahomes will never reach Brady’s status. He doesn’t even need to play 20 years to reach a lot of Brady’s overall records. He just has to play at his current pace, which he’s more than capable of doing for the next 7-12 years or so.