Super Bowl LVII game thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Re: Super Bowl LVII game thread

Post by mdb1958 »

I didnt see the play but I feel if the defense puts so much pressure on a QB that all he can do is run and throw it away to avoid the sack - why is the NFL finding flags that really were not relevant.

I know lets make our favorite pastime be decided by Mike Pereira - the Czar of our viewing experience.

None will know - soon - how it used to be..
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake

Post by Snake »

This ball hung in the air seemingly forever.

Snake

Post by Snake »

Re, the hold:

CB barely grabbed him, refs let worse holds go all game, then they pull this shit?

Botched.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:14 am Re, the hold:

CB barely grabbed him, refs let worse holds go all game, then they pull this shit?

Botched.
This is a double down on arguing with the player who admitted he held, so that makes 3. Do I hear 4?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:17 pm The Chiefs have 1 offensive TD in the past 6 quarters of Super Bowl play. Mahomes has 2 interceptions and 1 TD.

They've been outscored 55 to 23.

Seven of those points are off a fluke fumble, so in reality they've been outscored 55 to 16.
LMAO!! Damn you tried hard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

You don't have to try hard to state facts.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:16 am

Botched.
This is a double down on arguing with the player who admitted he held, so that makes 3. Do I hear 4?
No, the poster said he held. I get Bradberry said he tugged his Jersey a little…but it goes back to Greg Olsen’s point…in a situation like that, do you let that call go? If it’s the NHL playoffs and overtime, that’s not getting called. NBA finals late 4th quarter of game 7…prolly not. It brings into conversation whether at a moment like that in the game whether the refs should loosen up.

Personally, I agree with the call…but I also would have been fine with it not being called. I just hate seeing a SB decided that way, that’s all.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:59 am

No, the poster said he held. I get Bradberry said he tugged his Jersey a little…but it goes back to Greg Olsen’s point…in a situation like that, do you let that call go? If it’s the NHL playoffs and overtime, that’s not getting called. NBA finals late 4th quarter of game 7…prolly not. It brings into conversation whether at a moment like that in the game whether the refs should loosen up.

Personally, I agree with the call…but I also would have been fine with it not being called. I just hate seeing a SB decided that way, that’s all.
For me, the calls have to be consistent throughout the game. I have issues with the idea that when it comes down to the end of the game we should 'let them play'. Either way, a call or no call will screw one team or the other. If the calls have been consistent all game then each team KNOWS what is going to be called and what is not going to be called.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Botched.
Even CB Bradburry admitted that he held the receiver.
Snake

Post by Snake »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:25 am

Botched.
Who said he wasn’t holding? The point is, the way with the game was going, holding just wasn’t getting called despite both sides doing it. And that holding wasn’t even egregious.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

There's a video going around of Rodger Goodell hugging Chris Jones and celebrating with him like they both just won the SB. He then tells Chris Jones "I don't care how you hit the QB".

Pretty good look for what should be an impartial commissioner of a sport. Never seen Goodell openly celebrate with a SB winning team like that. Or any commissioner of any sport.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:05 am
GreatTimes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:25 am
Who said he wasn’t holding? The point is, the way with the game was going, holding just wasn’t getting called despite both sides doing it. And that holding wasn’t even egregious.
Snake with the hat trick! 1 more and you’ll have gone full retard.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Let’s the adults have a nuanced discussion and go cut some hair, please.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:07 am There's a video going around of Rodger Goodell hugging Chris Jones and celebrating with him like they both just won the SB. He then tells Chris Jones "I don't care how you hit the QB".

Pretty good look for what should be an impartial commissioner of a sport. Never seen Goodell openly celebrate with a SB winning team like that. Or any commissioner of any sport.
You have to wonder why the commissioner would opt to help out the 26th largest market in the NFL and not the 5th largest……What incentive could he possibly have?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:09 am Let’s the adults have a nuanced discussion and go cut some hair, please.
Nuanced discussion?? This isn’t a matter of opinion or interpretation. BRADBERRY ADMITTED HE HELD AND SAID HE HOPED HE COULD GET AWAY WITH IT! You’re the only fool arguing the contrary.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The obfuscater-in-chief pretending like this is a black and white issue is pretty rich.

The refs didn’t bother calling a defensive holding for 98% of the game. When we all know they were instances of defensive holding happening the entire game. Then in possibly the highest leverage moment, they throw a flag for a defensive holding that wasn’t even egregious?

Not fair to the players after letting them play the entire game that way.

They also allowed both teams bully them into pre-snap penalties.

*no flag*
*no flag*
*players stand up and start pointing across the line*
*two seconds later, a flag gets thrown*
Last edited by Snake on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:01 pm Is there anyone saying it was a good call? It was bad, but it didn't decide the game. The Chiefs would have most likely made the FG from there and at worst it would have been tied with a min and a half.

There were so many opportunities for the refs to actually push the Chiefs by over turning the 2 Eagles 3rd and long catches which the announcers set up to be turned over.

Saying it was rigged or influenced ignores the other 60 min. It sucks it was a bad call, but saying the refs/NFL handed it to the Chiefs ignores the Chiefs dominance/Eagles implosion in the 2nd half.
Actually, Bradberry himself said it was a good call. He was hoping they'd overlook it, but he admitted he grabbed the jersey on the break.
Don't tread on me
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:10 am
BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:07 am There's a video going around of Rodger Goodell hugging Chris Jones and celebrating with him like they both just won the SB. He then tells Chris Jones "I don't care how you hit the QB".

You have to wonder why the commissioner would opt to help out the 26th largest market in the NFL and not the 5th largest……What incentive could he possibly have?
There's harsh diminishing returns for the 5th larger market and there's not much higher it can go.

Whereas growing the 26th market represents a large growth opportunity for the league. KC is also a Midwest team so geographically it makes sense as well.

The Patriots were close to where they are in value or market before their run began.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Either way...called or not called...half the people watching would be pissed off today. I personally feel like that ref should have let it go...but like Philly's coach said, it was a split-second decision and once the cat is out of the bag there's no taking it back...especially when it was, technically, a correct call. If they had picked up the flag stating there was no foul, they'd be strung up the nearest tree (and rightfully so) since holding did occur.

This could have gone either way. But the game being rigged is so far from the truth it's not even worth discussing.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:23 am

There's harsh diminishing returns for the 5th larger market and there's not much higher it can go.

Whereas growing the 26th market represents a large growth opportunity for the league. KC is also a Midwest team so geographically it makes sense as well.

The Patriots were close to where they are in value or market before their run began.
LMAO!! WTF are you talking about?! The only way you’d grow a market is if people move there. Youre Saying Goodell was doing his part to help influence fans to move to KC?! :lol: :lol: :lol:..

And what you said about the Pats is a lie. Foxborough is part of Boston metropolitan area, one of the most populous in the country. It always has been. They were never in a small market.
Last edited by King Bootz on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:19 am The obfuscater-in-chief pretending like this is a black and white issue is pretty rich.

The refs didn’t bother calling a defensive holding for 98% of the game. When we all know they were instances of defensive holding happening the entire game. Then in possibly the highest leverage moment, they throw a flag for a defensive holding that wasn’t even egregious?

Not fair to the players after letting them play the entire game that way.

They also allowed both teams bully them into pre-snap penalties.

*no flag*
*no flag*
*players stand up and start pointing across the line*
*two seconds later, a flag gets thrown*
So what is this, 2 wrongs make a right? The issue is black and white. Bradberry held. He admitted he held and thought he’d get away with it. He didn’t. That didn’t make it a bad penalty call. It made it the right call. If you wanna argue about others that should’ve been call, that would be the move. Not embarrassing yourself by digging into this position that the player in question would call you a fucking idiot for defending.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:29 am

Either way...called or not called...half the people watching would be pissed off today. I personally feel like that ref should have let it go...but like Philly's coach said, it was a split-second decision and once the cat is out of the bag there's no taking it back...especially when it was, technically, a correct call. If they had picked up the flag stating there was no foul, they'd be strung up the nearest tree (and rightfully so) since holding did occur.

This could have gone either way. But the game being rigged is so far from the truth it's not even worth discussing.
Yeah, it was the right call. It just goes back to Greg Olsen’s point…it was holding, but it was pretty weak and given that moment, it sucks. It basically decided the game.

Can you imagine Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals with two minutes left and the guy gives the guy the slightest shove in the back and they call a penalty? Hell no. These guys are ripping each other’s eyes out at that point of the game and refs let it go.

It’s a totally different debate, though, whether refs in that moment should be more lenient or do they call it like it was week 1 of the season in the 2nd quarter? Everyone has an opinion on that. Greg Olsen obviously made his known last night.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

In the Chiefs defense, in the 2nd quarter, they did get screwed on a non-PI call on Schuster-Smith 10 times more obvious than the one on the final play. It forced them to punt…which I think ended up being their only punt all game?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:56 am In the Chiefs defense, in the 2nd quarter, they did get screwed on a non-PI call on Schuster-Smith 10 times more obvious than the one on the final play. It forced them to punt…which I think ended up being their only punt all game?
I think we've laid this to rest at this point. It was a foul. It was debatable whether said foul should have been called at that point in the game. There was no conspiracy. Moving on to the 2023 offseason.
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:08 am
Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:56 am In the Chiefs defense, in the 2nd quarter, they did get screwed on a non-PI call on Schuster-Smith 10 times more obvious than the one on the final play. It forced them to punt…which I think ended up being their only punt all game?
I think we've laid this to rest at this point. It was a foul. It was debatable whether said foul should have been called at that point in the game. There was no conspiracy. Moving on to the 2023 offseason.
Yup I agree with that.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Credits goes to Mahomes on his comeback victory over the Eagles. You can’t deny that. Im still in awe on the Bucs’s Super Bowl win over Mahomes

Mahomes only loss in Super Bowl…
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

3rd and long.
Chance to end the game with a first down.
Still a chance for Philly to make a stop and have a shot on offense.

Play occurs, flag is thrown at the tail end of an incomplete pass

Review play, slight hold that didn’t affect the outcome of the pass.
Flag thrown significantly after hold occurs, almost when the pass is confirmed incomplete.

Flag gives them first down and ends the game.

Nah, fuck that. All time low season of reffing capped off with a garbage call to decide the superbowl.

Why didn’t the ref call the penalty when it occurred, rather than when it was confirmed an incomplete pass? Holding calls should be instant flags.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:01 pm Is there anyone saying it was a good call? It was bad, but it didn't decide the game.
Well....I found one guy:

"Eagles CB James Bradberry on crucial third-down penalty: 'It was holding'"

I'm not sure who this guy is but he obviously did not watch the play.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:58 am
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:01 pm Is there anyone saying it was a good call? It was bad, but it didn't decide the game.
Well....I found one guy:

Doesn't make it a good call. It's one of those calls that was technically holding, but not normally called. When it's finally called in a play like that, it makes it a bad call.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I think this is more the issue. We were set up to have a great final minute and a half and now we didn't have that. A guy sitting at the one yard line intentionally, a couple of kneel downs and a chip shot.

As to the call...it was a hold and we've seen that type of play called a hold many times. In fact, I think the Bucs had a drive extended in a win this past season on pretty much the same type of play although it wasn't near the end zone.

Also...and I've seen no mention of this by anyone else so maybe it isn't a factor but...the throw went well beyond the receiver and I think that's influencing the reaction to the penalty. Had the throw been just off the receivers hands or out of his reach by a yard is the tug on the jersey and hand fighting subsequent more of a factor and therefore the call more acceptable? I think it would be.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:00 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:58 am

Well....I found one guy:

Doesn't make it a good call. It's one of those calls that was technically holding, but not normally called. When it's finally called in a play like that, it makes it a bad call.
Moment shouldn’t dictate the outcome of whether it’s a penalty or not. It’s like saying an obvious facemask should be overlooked because of the moment there.

What makes people look like fools is arguing with the player who admitted he committed a penalty. But what I’ve come to discover is people are naturally miserable and find comfort in having something to complain about. So instead of the focus being on 1 of the greatest Superbowls played ever, people want to fight with a player saying he committed a penalty and that it was the right call.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

13F11B wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:22 am

For me, the calls have to be consistent throughout the game. I have issues with the idea that when it comes down to the end of the game we should 'let them play'. Either way, a call or no call will screw one team or the other. If the calls have been consistent all game then each team KNOWS what is going to be called and what is not going to be called.
The rules are subject to individual interpretation in a split second by the various refs. It's possible that an official on the other side of the field doesn't make that call. Establishing consistency is difficult to do in a sport where we have a bunch of human beings interpreting rules as quickly as they are required.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:10 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:00 pm
Moment shouldn’t dictate the outcome of whether it’s a penalty or not. It’s like saying an obvious facemask should be overlooked because of the moment there.

What makes people look like fools is arguing with the player who admitted he committed a penalty.
We get the player admitted it. It’s whether they still should have thrown the flag in that moment. It’s very debatable and there’s no right or wrong answer. Two very respected former players —Greg Olsen and Troy Aikman—both said no. And I value their opinion a lot more than people’s here.

I am mixed on it, but it is what it is. We move on, but it’s something that referees could take a look at and discuss for future SBs. Like I said, the NHL officiates differently in the playoffs than they do the regular season.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:23 am

The argument that the NFL rigged the game in favor of the Chiefs is stupid. Just take the loss.