Super Bowl LVII game thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
uscbucsfan1

Re: Super Bowl LVII game thread

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:16 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:10 pm

Moment shouldn’t dictate the outcome of whether it’s a penalty or not. It’s like saying an obvious facemask should be overlooked because of the moment there.

What makes people look like fools is arguing with the player who admitted he committed a penalty.
We get the player admitted it. It’s whether they still should have thrown the flag in that moment. It’s very debatable and there’s no right or wrong answer. Two very respected former players —Greg Olsen and Troy Aikman—both said no. And I value their opinion a lot more than people’s here.

I am mixed on it, but it is what it is. We move on, but it’s something that referees could take a look at and discuss for future SBs. Like I said, the NHL officiates differently in the playoffs than they do the regular season.
To be fair, Olsen said the Goddert catch should have been and would be overturned.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:10 pm

Moment shouldn’t dictate the outcome of whether it’s a penalty or not. It’s like saying an obvious facemask should be overlooked because of the moment there.

What makes people look like fools is arguing with the player who admitted he committed a penalty.
We get the player admitted it. It’s whether they still should have thrown the flag in that moment. It’s very debatable and there’s no right or wrong answer. Two very respected former players —Greg Olsen and Troy Aikman—both said no. And I value their opinion a lot more than people’s here.

I am mixed on it, but it is what it is. We move on, but it’s something that referees could take a look at and discuss for future SBs. Like I said, the NHL officiates differently in the playoffs than they do the regular season.
Moment shouldn’t dictate the outcome. Again, if it’s a facemask are you saying they should have ignored it?
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:00 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:58 am

Well....I found one guy:

"Eagles CB James Bradberry on crucial third-down penalty: 'It was holding'"

I'm not sure who this guy is but he obviously did not watch the play.
Doesn't make it a good call. It's one of those calls that was technically holding, but not normally called. When it's finally called in a play like that, it makes it a bad call.
So the player involved in the play says it was a hold but your argument is that it shouldn't have been called due to circumstances. You keep going with that.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:17 pm

To be fair, Olsen said the Goddert catch should have been and would be overturned.
I thought by rule it wasn't a catch myself.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:19 pm
Doesn't make it a good call. It's one of those calls that was technically holding, but not normally called. When it's finally called in a play like that, it makes it a bad call.
So the player involved in the play says it was a hold but your argument is that it shouldn't have been called due to circumstances. You keep going with that.
There are holds on every play. Someone posted multiple clips of the same thing in the game that weren't called. If they were called consistently, people would have less issues with that call.

Again, it's technically a hold, but something that the league does such a poor job with consistency, when it is called people get mad.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:15 pm
13F11B wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:22 am

For me, the calls have to be consistent throughout the game. I have issues with the idea that when it comes down to the end of the game we should 'let them play'. Either way, a call or no call will screw one team or the other. If the calls have been consistent all game then each team KNOWS what is going to be called and what is not going to be called.
The rules are subject to individual interpretation in a split second by the various refs. It's possible that an official on the other side of the field doesn't make that call. Establishing consistency is difficult to do in a sport where we have a bunch of human beings interpreting rules as quickly as they are required.

You are forgetting the fact that now the NFL has earbuds in all these ref's, telling them what and how to think.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:17 pm

He had his left foot down when the ball stopped moving for a split second.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The number of people willing to debate James Bradberry on his own penalty is astounding to me. I know people are stupid but damn.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:23 pm

There are holds on every play. Someone posted multiple clips of the same thing in the game that weren't called. If they were called consistently, people would have less issues with that call.

Again, it's technically a hold, but something that the league does such a poor job with consistency, when it is called people get mad.
If only the damn officials eyes worked like the camera angles do!
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Moment shouldn’t dictate the outcome. Again, if it’s a facemask are you saying they should have ignored it?
No. But that’s more black and white. But I disagree on the moment aspect because I think it should play a role on certain calls. I think you let them play more in a moment like that unless it’s a really clear black and white. Now the Saints-Rams game a few years ago…that was clear black and white and it didn’t get called. Again, that’s juts my opinion. I think some refs call it, but others don’t. I see both sides of the argument.

I guess me being a huge hockey fan, I’m just used to seeing different refereeing in critical moments.
Last edited by Navybuc on Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:28 pm

That's an absolutely valid point.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What would picking KC to win for a million gotten you?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I bet there were over a hundred NFL people with headsets on talking to a higher level that talks to the refs.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Not every ref in a crew is going to see the same thing the same way. It's possible that another ref sees nothing with this play. This same ref may have called similar plays earlier in the game in a similar fashion. I don't think it was a hold but it shouldn't have been called is a great point to argue.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:22 pm

He had his left foot down when the ball stopped moving for a split second.
That's not how I saw it even on the replay but that's ok.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:29 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:18 pm

No. But that’s more black and white. But I disagree on the moment aspect because I think it should play a role on certain calls. I think you let them play more in a moment like that unless it’s a really clear black and white. Now the Saints-Rams game a few years ago…that was clear black and white and it didn’t get called. Again, that’s juts my opinion. I think some refs call it, but others don’t. I see both sides of the argument.

I guess me being a huge hockey fan, I’m just used to seeing different refereeing in critical moments.
Isn't part of letting them play allowing the offense, in this case, have the opportunity to make the play without being held?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Refs have 1 job in a game that’s this subjective and fluid:

Be consistent.

They weren’t at the worst possible time.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:34 pm

I bet there were over a hundred NFL people with headsets on talking to a higher level that talks to the refs.
OK, I confess. It was me talking to the refs who told them to throw that flag for holding. I also sprayed the field with Pam Cooking oil to make the field slippery. And just to make sure the outcome of the game was never in doubt, I sprayed the football that Hurts fumbled with the same Pam Cooking oil. Not to mention I stabbed that Eagles defensive lineman in the backside with a pin to make him jump offside.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:48 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:34 pm

OK, I confess. It was me talking to the refs who told them to throw that flag for holding. I also sprayed the field with Pam Cooking oil to make the field slippery. And just to make sure the outcome of the game was never in doubt, I sprayed the football that Hurts fumbled with the same Pam Cooking oil. Not to mention I stabbed that Eagles defensive lineman in the backside with a pin to make him jump offside.
NFL New York they are heavily involved.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Did you mean: How many employees work for NFL New York?

Based in New York, NY, National Football League is a key player in the hospitality industry with 3,595 employees and an annual revenue of $930.0M. We unite people and inspire communities in the joy of the game by delivering the world's most exciting sports and entertainment experience. Is This Your Company?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:48 pm
NFL New York they are heavily involved in my head.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:36 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 pm

NFL New York they are heavily involved in my head.
You are older than me, we watched football on black and white tv's.

What has the internet done to you? Do I really need to quote this?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:35 pm Did you mean: How many employees work for NFL New York?

Based in New York, NY, National Football League is a key player in the hospitality industry with 3,595 employees and an annual revenue of $930.0M. We unite people and inspire communities in the joy of the game by delivering the world's most exciting sports and entertainment experience. Is This Your Company?
Did you just ask question and then ask yourself for clarification?
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:47 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:35 pm Did you mean: How many employees work for NFL New York?

No, I asked google. 3600 employees just in New York - no wonder they don't know where to spot the ball.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:51 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:47 pm

No, I asked google. 3600 employees just in New York - no wonder they don't know where to spot the ball.
You asked Google……………here?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

You do that shit at my house and we're gonna fight.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Plot twist: it was his TV and he's freaking out over like 2 grand
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:25 pm

The number of people willing to debate James Bradberry on his own penalty is astounding to me. I know people are stupid but damn.
Nobody is debating a penalty could have been called. Not with our without Bradberry's input.

I'm fully willing to debate that in that situation, with those stakes, with as ticky-tack as the penalty was, if it's the best thing for the game, the (non KC) fans, or the league that it was called. I say no. The last thing the league needs, or we want, is 99% of the post-Superbowl discussion being about a call.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:55 am

Nobody is debating a penalty could have been called. Not with our without Bradberry's input.

I'm fully willing to debate that in that situation, with those stakes, with as ticky-tack as the penalty was, if it's the best thing for the game, the (non KC) fans, or the league that it was called. I say no. The last thing the league needs, or we want, is 99% of the post-Superbowl discussion being about a call.
Too late for that, eh?
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

If it's not called, the discussion is still likely about that call. Especially if the Eagles win. People just love to complain and have something to bitch about. It's human nature to be miserable. Life sucks for most people.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:39 am

If it's not called, the discussion is still likely about that call. Especially if the Eagles win. People just love to complain and have something to bitch about. It's human nature to be miserable. Life sucks for most people.
As I said earlier, it was definitely a case of, damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's just a shame that happened. But even if there had been no foul, people would have looked further back in the game to find some controversy.
Don't tread on me
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:39 am People just love to complain and have something to bitch about. It's human nature to be miserable. Life sucks for most people.
This statement says a lot about you.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Betsy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:51 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:39 am People just love to complain and have something to bitch about. It's human nature to be miserable. Life sucks for most people.
This statement says a lot about you.
This statement says nothing about me. I enjoyed the game. One of the best Superbowls ever played.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

WHOOSHHHHHHH.......
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Ju-Ju trolls Bradberry, catches heat from other players.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/list ... -reaction/
Don't tread on me