Anthony Richardson

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Doctor

Anthony Richardson

Post by Doctor »

More and more I keep getting the feeling he is going to be the pick.
Phantom

Re: Anthony Richardson

Post by Phantom »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:19 pm

More and more I keep getting the feeling he is going to be the pick.
you're kidding?
MJW

Post by MJW »

He's awful. Pocket presence is non-existent. Footwork is atrocious. Motion is elongated. Throws every pass like a fadeaway jumper, and puts a mile under the ball. No evidence he can read the field.

And that's based on his highlight reel.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think you are right on all counts MJW. I also think a lot of those are very much interconnected and improving one will ripple through the others.

The league is being run by high upside guys who fixed their flaws, from Mahomes to Hurts to Lamar to Allen.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

54.7 career passer? You don't think the NFL will eat that up?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The last time I had a similar pit in my stomach when thinking about drafting a quarterback was the year we took Freeman.

I guess we would be exciting or something, but he's not a very good quarterback.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Side by side it with Trask's UF tape.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Hire Greg Roman as OC and let's start mauling people.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

These are going to be great takes when we're all eating crow. I'm not banging the drum here. Nor do I like the pick. Cheb is right, this is eerily similar to Josh Freeman.

But like then, even though so many of us hated the idea of going with Freeman, the talk of him being the pick proved true.

I have a feeling the same will happen here. So better start warming up to the idea now.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Licht can do no wrong! Lmao
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

If you’re gonna go this route, might as well wait until Saturday and draft the QB out of UCLA. At least he can throw an accurate, catchable ball.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Seems like Richardson would turn into some kind of gimmick. A run/pass threat QB, a run/pass RB, a run/pass TE, or even a run/pass WR. Players do not seem eager to have a 25mph blow up with his size while he is running.
I like the thought of evading the defense to heave bombs - but for a 1st rounder?

Might be a stretch to think any QB will be a perfect fit even after the roster is mostly set.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:45 pm If you’re gonna go this route, might as well wait until Saturday and draft the QB out of UCLA. At least he can throw an accurate, catchable ball.
This. The kid from Houston would qualify also. I don't mind using a Day Three pick on a project QB (in fact, I encourage it.) But first round? No. And Richardson is goddamn terrible. I'm not sure he would win an accuracy competition with most of the "HS/College QB who had to change positions in the Pros" players in the league right now.

FWIW, I'm pretty high on the anti-project, Aidan O'Connell. Complete pop-gunner arm. Not a running threat. But just really smart. Reads the field, stays calm, faces pressure. Big Brock Purdy type vibe.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:29 am
King Bootz wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:45 pm If you’re gonna go this route, might as well wait until Saturday and draft the QB out of UCLA. At least he can throw an accurate, catchable ball.
This. The kid from Houston would qualify also. I don't mind using a Day Three pick on a project QB (in fact, I encourage it.) But first round? No. And Richardson is goddamn terrible. I'm not sure he would win an accuracy competition with most of the "HS/College QB who had to change positions in the Pros" players in the league right now.

FWIW, I'm pretty high on the anti-project, Aidan O'Connell. Complete pop-gunner arm. Not a running threat. But just really smart. Reads the field, stays calm, faces pressure. Big Brock Purdy type vibe.
I don’t get it. Was he a big winner? No. Did he display outstanding production? No. Oozing with God given untapped potential and ability? I certainly didn’t see it. Other than his size and his rushing abilities, Richardson is a piss poor thrower of the football. No thanks.

As for the bolder part, I know very well your feelings about the QB position and QBs that can run it vs traditional pocket passers. You should not be drafting QBs who can’t make plays with their legs anymore. That’s reality. The league has caught up. If your QB can’t make plays with their legs, you’re going to run a very limited offense. Now they don’t have to be Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen. But statues don’t work anymore. Brady was likely the last of his kind.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:29 am

Instead of having some story where we sign some homeless guy, I say we draft this player. I would love to see him run the offense.

Lindsey Scott Jr. Four times this year he accounted for seven TD's. That kind of threat opens things up for our offense.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I reject the idea that nfl defenses have seemingly solved any offense that doesn't feature a running qb.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:20 am I reject the idea that nfl defenses have seemingly solved any offense that doesn't feature a running qb.
Idk , our offense seemed pretty solved last season. Think of how many drives could've been sustained and points scored had Brady been mobile enough to create plays on his own.

During tonight's game, keep a count of how many times Mahomes and Hurts does their street ball bullshit and imagine those plays being sacks or throwaway passes. You're going to see tons of yards and points that are suddenly erased from the game

I hate the street ball nonsense but it's undeniably a part of the game now and a cheat code versus defenses.

If you don't have that, you're deleting an entire phase of the game from your offense. And we're not even counting all the offensive play design that can exploit mobile QBs.

Drafting an immobile QB is retarded in the modern NFL, which sadly Licht didn't consider when he set a draft pick on fire with Kyle Trash.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

• Weaknesses:
    Very limited passer
    Struggles to see the field
    Poor vision
    Struggles to read defenses
    Slow to work through progressions
    Not an accurate passer
    One-read quarterback
    Arm strength is average
    Personality issues
Oh sorry, those aren't the weaknesses of Anthony Richardson's scouting report, the above belongs to Jalen Hurts.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:20 am I reject the idea that nfl defenses have seemingly solved any offense that doesn't feature a running qb.
The key word is "our" offense.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Reject it all you want to. It was a reality in 2022. Bucs, Rams(Stafford), Colts(Ryan) were the only offenses featured QBs who weren’t threats with their legs. Ryan got benched a couple of times and wasn’t very good overall. Stafford got hurt. Brady got beat up. All 3 offenses finished in the lower 4th of the league in terms of producing.

It’s also not a coincidence that the youngest of these 3 is Stafford, who’s 35. Traditional pocket passers are a dying breed.

Defenses are so diverse and so multiple now. Instead of having just a front 4 to worry about, QBs and Olines have to worry about pressure from multiple spots. Edge rushers are now moving around all over the front 7, playing in coverage. And these guys run 4.4, 4.5 these days. You have to have a QB that can counter that with their rushing abilities.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Two of those 3 teams just won rings.

Literally.... just.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You guys want Lamar Jackson right? Right?!

Why not draft Richardson? He’s cheap

Certainly not for $$$250 million
Backside

Post by Backside »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:47 am Why not draft Richardson?
How?

Does Richardson have an MVP under his belt? A record of sustained success in the league?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

:roll: I was being sarcastic

Y’all are delusional Lamar Jackson is coming here.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:13 am Lamar Jackson is coming here.
Hope you're right, love the optimism.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:44 am
  • Weaknesses:
    Very limited passer
    Poor vision
    Not an accurate passer
    One-read quarterback
    Arm strength is average
    Personality issues
Oh sorry, those aren't the weaknesses of Anthony Richardson's scouting report, the above belongs to Jalen Hurts.
It's also the scouting report for Tim Tebow. What's your point?
Let's roll another joint
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:30 am
BucsNBills wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:44 am
  • Weaknesses:
    Very limited passer
    Poor vision
    Not an accurate passer
    One-read quarterback
    Arm strength is average
    Personality issues
The point is I think the paradigm surrounding Qb prospects is changing. We've now seen Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, and even Lamar Jackson overcome bad accuracy issues and mechanics in college on an NFL field. I think the league is getting better at fixing these issues and tools are becoming more important than deficiencies. Also I think teams are more willing to focus on QBS CAN do rather than what they can't. They're also not trying to turn these guys into pocket passers like they used to do with guys like Vick.

I'd say Richardson's success in the NFl is going to hinge much more on his personal stake in improving his game rather than what his college tape or scouting report says. If he's willing to dedicate a large amount of time to fixing his issues then the sky is the limit. If not, then he'll likely bust. Unfortunately we can't know that information by watching tape or reading scouting reports.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:27 am

The point is I think the paradigm surrounding Qb prospects is changing. We've now seen Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, and even Lamar Jackson overcome bad accuracy issues and mechanics in college on an NFL field. I think the league is getting better at fixing these issues and tools are becoming more important than deficiencies. Also I think teams are more willing to focus on QBS CAN do rather than what they can't. They're also not trying to turn these guys into pocket passers like they used to do with guys like Vick.

I'd say Richardson's success in the NFl is going to hinge much more on his personal stake in improving his game rather than what his college tape or scouting report says. If he's willing to dedicate a large amount of time to fixing his issues then the sky is the limit. If not, then he'll likely bust. Unfortunately we can't know that information by watching tape or reading scouting reports.
There's no paradigm shift for quarterbacks that is going to have the scouting combine as the great equalizer.

Every quarterback in the draft is a good athlete who tries hard.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Idk man. Richardson is like putting Isaiah Simmons at QB. Just because you’re a great athlete in shorts and are called a QB doesn’t mean you’re an nfl QB. If it was as simple as being a freak athlete, there’d be more freak athletes at Qb.

I hope he proves me wrong. But I don’t see it. Famous last words.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:11 am

There's no paradigm shift for quarterbacks that is going to have the scouting combine as the great equalizer.

Every quarterback in the draft is a good athlete who tries hard.
I agree, the combine isn't the great equalizer. More like what Richardson has proven he can do on the field.

Just last year we destroyed the Eagles in the playoffs and Hurts looked truly lost and did not look like an NFL thrower. A year later he's in the Super Bowl and was a gambling driven holding call away from winning it.

I just think when you have to athletic gifts that Richardson has, college accuracy issues aren't a death sentence like it used to be.

We'll see though. He won't be our problem either way but it will be interesting to revisit this in a few years and see what happened with Richardson's development.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The thing with Richardson isn't in what he is today. By in large it never is with draft prospects at any prospect. The question is how coachable is he? How quickly and how much can he learn? And what's his ability to implement what he's learned onto the field?

People forget what Josh Allen looked like his 1st 2 seasons as a starter. A complete bust. Buffalo didnt take him because they thought
he could win a Super Bowl early in his career. He needed a ton of development. But the tools were there and he was coachable. That's the difference between being a Josh Allen and a Sam Darnold.

Which way will Richardson fall? No one knows. Any team drafting him has to have a vision and a clear plan on how to get there.
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

So we start with a backflip first?