Who should the 49ers go with at QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Trey Lance
15%
Brock Purdy
20%
Jimmy Garoppolo
10%
Tom Brady
35%
Aaron Rodgers
10%
Derek Carr
No votes
Other
10%

Total votes: 20

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Where do the 49ers turn?

San Francisco quarterback Brock Purdy “completely” tore his UCL in Sunday’s loss, another blow to a 49ers quarterback room that could be cursed. Quick breakdown:

Trey Lance began the season as the starter, while the team looked to trade Jimmy Garoppolo. Lance suffered a season-ending injury in Week 2 and Garoppolo regained control. When Garoppolo went down with a foot injury in Week 13, Purdy — who began the season as a rookie third-stringer — played well.

So they enter next year with a healthy Lance (who’s almost forgotten at this point), maybe a healthy Garoppolo (free agent) and Purdy, a finalist for Offensive Rookie of the Year. If Purdy opts for Tommy John surgery, he’ll miss at least seven months, which means he could be ready for Week 1 next year, but that’s a hopeful timeline.
So, the starting QB job for a Super Bowl contender is officially open? The Niners will add another quarterback this offseason, but their internal thinking remains unknown.

The options are many, with domino effects involving three California natives, including two of the game's most prominent QBs ever:

Tom Brady, a Bay Area native, is available.
Aaron Rodgers could also be on the trade block.
Derek Carr is very available, though San Francisco might prefer in-house options.
Garoppolo? My bet is that someone overpays him in free agency to be their starter, and he doesn’t want to return to a team where he could be QB1 or QB3 on any given day.
Tim Kawakami made a compelling argument earlier this month to make Purdy the starter going forward, which now feels like it hinges on that UCL. If they opt for that, is Lance available via trade?

Given they really are just a QB away this is probably the wildest QB controversy I have ever seen with a literal ring or two hanging in the balance.
Snake

Re: Who should the 49ers go with at QB?

Post by Snake »

Brady or Rodgers are the obvious answers.

Rodgers is more mobile than Brady. Would probably open things up in that offense with bootlegs and all that.

I’d love to see it. They are built to win now. Shanahan can make damn near anyone look good on script. They need someone capable of going out and winning a playoff game if they’re down 10 points and the pressure is on.

Jimmy G’s limitations were exposed in those situations. That Chiefs SB comes to mind.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

If they want a one-year fix - Brady. Rodgers is a self-centered dick and would likely have issues with the system in SF. I could see Carr being a guy they would look at as insurance if they actually plan on Lance or Purdy being their week-one starter. I am not sure they bring Carr in to be the 'guy' over Purdy.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Probably Lance, honestly.

If anything, the 49ers have shown that they are not QB dependent. It just takes a general understanding of what to do/not to do in their offense.

Why bring in a new guy when Lance/Jimmy G at least know the offense and have won games leading it?

Rodgers would work. But the 49ers are still competitive with Lance.

If they’re going to sacrifice resources to bring someone in it should be further weapons around the QB or on defense.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The window is gonna close eventually. Shanahan will run out of rope, eventually.

Supposedly, he didn’t even want Lance.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The guy they traded 3 1st round picks for.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 am The guy they traded 3 1st round picks for.
Sunk cost fallacy?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 am The guy they traded 3 1st round picks for.
Sunk cost fallacy?
Consider the source, Bootz. Consider the source. :|
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:09 am
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 am

Sunk cost fallacy?
They are in their SB competitive window. do you wait for Lance to shows he’s good? Considering how bad he’s looked and the injury?

I don’t think they can wait. You can still roster him, but it doesn’t mean he has to start.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:12 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:09 am

They are in their SB competitive window. do you wait for Lance to shows he’s good? Considering how bad he’s looked and the injury?

I don’t think they can wait. You can still roster him, but it doesn’t mean he has to start.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Good dialogue.

We will see what they do.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:06 am The window is gonna close eventually. Shanahan will run out of rope, eventually.

That's a lot of revisionist stuff there. He was reportedly gagging on coaching up Lance's untapped potential pre-draft. Probably some hubris there too.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:34 am
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:06 am The window is gonna close eventually. Shanahan will run out of rope, eventually.

That's a lot of revisionist stuff there. He was reportedly gagging on coaching up Lance's untapped potential pre-draft. Probably some hubris there too.
CONSIDER THE SOURCE!
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Brady should be their pick. For the most part, was has been the biggest issue with the 49ers? I'd say it's the inconsistent ability and availability of their QB position. It's kind of insane how many injuries the 49ers constantly deal with at the position on an annual basis yet they still find a way to be competitive.

Brady, even if he has declined, will give the 49ers the most dependable QB they've had in a very long time.

Brady also doesn't have to be an MVP candidate while throwing 50 times a game for San Fran. He'll make all the layups, he'll be on the field the entire season, and he'll also get the occasional big time throw when it really matters.

Shanny can have both Purdy and Lance in the bullpen, learning whatever they can with Brady under center. Hell, they could even consider trading Lance, but that's an entirely different subject.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lots of reported stuff going on with him. Which is true?

There was also a report that came out that he much preferred Mac Jones.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:35 pm

Honestly Jones would've been a great fit for them. And I don't think they would've needed to trade up to get him. For sure a whiff on Lynch's part.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I selected other because I think if you're the 49ers you cut or trade Garoppolo in the offseason, draft a guy in the mid-later rounds, roll into camp with Lance and Purdy as 1a and 1b. Whoever wins the job wins the job, the other guy is then the backup, and rookie is the emergency QB.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:39 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:35 pm

Honestly Jones would've been a great fit for them. And I don't think they would've needed to trade up to get him. For sure a whiff on Lynch's part.

Where you been for eleven days, you seemed to not exist on this board for awhile.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:52 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:39 pm

Where you been for eleven days, you seemed to not exist on this board for awhile.
Got a vacation. it's whatever. I'm over it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:41 pm I selected other because I think if you're the 49ers you cut or trade Garoppolo in the offseason, draft a guy in the mid-later rounds, roll into camp with Lance and Purdy as 1a and 1b. Whoever wins the job wins the job, the other guy is then the backup, and rookie is the emergency QB.
Jimmy a FA.

Everything but the drafting of yet another QB is already in motion.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:01 pm
The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:41 pm I selected other because I think if you're the 49ers you cut or trade Garoppolo in the offseason, draft a guy in the mid-later rounds, roll into camp with Lance and Purdy as 1a and 1b. Whoever wins the job wins the job, the other guy is then the backup, and rookie is the emergency QB.
Jimmy a FA.

Everything but the drafting of yet another QB is already in motion.
Ah, well that takes care of that then.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Speaking of Jimmy, I wonder if McDaniels was impressed by him enough while they were in New England together to seek a reunion.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:06 pm Speaking of Jimmy, I wonder if McDaniels was impressed by him enough while they were in New England together to seek a reunion.
He better do something at QB, because he already burnt his bridge with Carr and he's not going to have anyone to blame next off-season.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Jimmy this gens Alex Smith.
Puss in Boots

Post by Puss in Boots »

Draftkings thinks it will be Brady

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Puss in Boots wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:09 pm Draftkings thinks it will be Brady

Wonder how that compares to the odds of him playing for the Bucs.
Puss in Boots

Post by Puss in Boots »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:11 pm
Puss in Boots wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:09 pm Draftkings thinks it will be Brady

Wonder how that compares to the odds of him playing for the Bucs.
With this movement, I'm guess Bucs are probably +750 or so.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Nah bro Trey Lance MVP!
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Maybe the 49ers will cut Lance and the Buccaneers can sign him?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:56 pm Maybe the 49ers will cut Lance and the Buccaneers can sign him?
Purdy is out for 6 months minimal after surgery and they have no other QBs on the roster. Lance ain't going anywhere.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Garappolo will be gone. He’s a poor man’s Brock Purdy and is expendable with 2 younger, cheaper, better QBs ahead of him on the depth chart.

Purdy was basically a lock before the injury. I think they have a real QB competition this year between Lance and Purdy. Lance will be ready to participate in offseason activities and prepare for week 1, so I’d bet he’s the starter week 1. Purddy could take over if Lance doesn’t look good.

Purdy has been solid, but not great enough that you’d save the spot for when he returns if Lance performs well. Keep in mind. They gave up so much for Lance. Sure, it’s the sunk cost fallacy, but NFL owners care a lot about those sunk costs. The 49ers wouldn’t have given up the farm for someone unless they believed highly in his potential. They surprised everyone by drafting Lance while they had Garappolo and they could (kinda) surprise again by choosing Lance over Purdy.

I’d like to see them get Brady because I’m a Brady fan. That’s the best chance for Brady to win next year and the best chance for the 49ers to win next year. I could imagine Purdy waiting in the wings for a year or 2 behind Brady, but I couldn’t imagine that for Lance. He’s already waited 2 years and many around the league think he’s worth a high draft pick. Brady wants to win now and would like to see that extra draft capital in return for Lance.

So either: 1. Lance 2. Purdy 3. Mystery QB
Or: 1. Brady 2. Purdy 3. Mystery QB

Carr isn’t much of an upgrade over Lance or Purdy. He’s also older and more expensive. Rogers is arguably the most talented of all available QBs, but he’s a wild card. He could pull a Jake Plumber on them.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Prior to his injury I would have said Purdy by a wide margin. Now though I wouldn't trust him to be the same guy in a somewhat tight timeline, so you have to go other directions.

Lance may or not be it (I lean not), so I would personally give Brady a call and see what's reasonable. Having said that, the Niners have only $16 million in cap space at the moment, so signing Brady could make money right, and I would presume that they would have potentially other offseason priorities.

Also somewhat selfishly, I kinda-sorta hope that Brady doesn't come back for the Bucs next season, so Brady going out here to Cali to play for his childhood team would line up well with my preferences, presumably his, and the Niners. Plus we would probably get a nice comp pick for next season, which ain't nothing.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

they have a crazy decision to make.

I guess they will sit down and look at the Cap situation for each.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Digital_Damage wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:40 pm they have a crazy decision to make.

Lance was the #1? overall pick and Purdy was the last pick in the draft. If that's what you mean the cap situation is pretty damn obvious. Either one of them will be cheaper than Brady.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:42 pm
Digital_Damage wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:40 pm they have a crazy decision to make.

Lance was the #1? overall pick and Purdy was the last pick in the draft. If that's what you mean the cap situation is pretty damn obvious. Either one of them will be cheaper than Brady.
I think it comes down to dead money, but with the ridiculous cap increase it could be moot. I don't see them trying to pull Brady in.