Stuff I'd like to see - and not like to see - this offseason

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Stuff I'd like to see - and not like to see - this offseason

Post by Snake »

Like to see (QB centric):

Aaron Rodgers restructures his contract and his traded to New England for Mac Jones and draft picks.

- Patriots have $38m in cap space before any cap chicanery.

- Patriots went 8-9 with an absolute joke of a coaching staff situation link. They had a positive point differential. 11th best defense in terms of points allowed. 17th in points scored. They had a 3 game winning streak, and three 2 game losing streaks. They were sitting at .500 football in week 17. Point being, it was as a steady as a Patriots team as one would normally expect. Decent result considering the dysfunction around the team.

- Patriots hired Bill O’Brien to run the offense and have all but named Jerod Mayo the DC. He is an associate HC and helped interview OC candidates, as well. B’OB is at his best as an OC. Former players speak about his ability to coach all position groups, play sequence, and ability to keep things elementary or go super granular if the time calls for it. Even if he’s average, this is a huge upgrade for them.

- Mac Jones finished with 14 TDs, 11 INTs through the air. We’ll give him a break due to the coaching issues. But, he isn’t Aaron Rodgers. Or even Old Aaron Rodgers.

- Belichick is a known fan boy of Rodgers. Rodgers calls Belichick a living legend and the greatest coach of all time regularly. To be fair, those are just indisputable realities than compliments for Belichick. But, it’s something. The two had lengthy conversations before and after their matchup last season. link). Real recognize real. and Aaron is a weird enough dude to go for something like this.

- Belichick won’t coach forever. He’s the oldest HC in the NFL. He more than anybody knows the value of an elite QB. Mac Jones could end up a good NFL QB. He could even be one right now. But, he won’t ever be elite or a top 7 QB.

- Rodgers had a down year by his standards. Which are perhaps higher than anyone. Back to back MVPs the two previous seasons. His leading receiver in 2022 was a rookie 2nd round pick who played for North Dakota State the previous season. And career 3rd WR Lazard.

- I believe the Patriots can win their division with Rodgers at the helm, an improved coaching staff, and some choice additions to WR.
Snake

Re: Stuff I'd like to see - and not like to see - this offseason

Post by Snake »

Seattle Seahawks sign Geno Smith to multiple year extension:

Geno Smith: 4300 passing yards (7th in NFL), 30 passing TDs (4th in NFL) against 11 INTs, 79.8 PFF grade, in age 32 season.

Seattle picks 5th in this draft thanks to the Russell Wilson trade. And keep their own pick at #20. If Geno leaves – albeit unlikely – they’re now in that position of needing a QB and being in prime QB picking spot. The top two purported QB prospects are likely to go in the top 4. So, hold tight or trade up or take someone from their next tier of prospect orrrrrr raid the FA market for a Carr?

Just sign Geno. Don’t do the franchise tag dance like Dak and the Cowboys. Don’t low ball him like Lamar. Find a deal that bakes in his age and his lack of track record. Done.

Snake

Post by Snake »

Jimmy Garrappolo signs with NY Jets (If Brady turns them down):

Just makes too much sense. They need an adult at QB. Jimmy G is an average NFL QB at best and needs looks generated for him. But that’s a lot better than whatever Zach Wilson provides. They can either move off Wilson, or let him marinate. Don’t really care. Saleh needs wins and Jimmy G is everything Mark Sanchez was supposed to be. Handsome, an actual NFL QB, and Hispanic.

Brady signs with 49ers (if he doesn’t want to play for NYJ)
Tom’s childhood team. Fantastic roster. Pretty good coach.

The Trey Lance thing becomes even more strained when you bring in the GOAT. But this could be a good 1-2 year option for them. Purdy and Lance combine for a ~$10m cap hit in 2023. Not horrible for the entire backup stable behind a 46 year old (!!!) QB. Purdy is an average QB at best. I don’t allow him to interfere with this. He’s dirt cheap and under control.

49ers may need to start some cap chicanery though. Maybe Bootz has some thoughts here.

It's rumored that Brady and Shanahan don't get along. So, that's a wrench. Also, how will Brady's addition change the Shanahan offense that is known for keeping guys on script and creating opportunities vs being QB dependent?

Snake

Post by Snake »

Something I'd prefer not to see:

Tom Brady signing with Tennessee Titans (or any other team that isn't close to contention)

- Titans are looking at 4 new o-line starters.
- WR group – at the moment – is not great.
- The team is not ready made for a deep playoff run. Roster isn’t there yet.

Vrabel, Henry, and the bad division are draws. But as we’ve learned in Tampa, just getting to the playoffs and hoping to be good isn’t a real strategy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

@Snake as great of an idea as that would be, Pats would have to upgrade those weapons. What Rodgers had in GB is much better than what NE has.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:52 pm @Snake as great of an idea as that would be, Pats would have to upgrade those weapons. What Rodgers had in GB is much better than what NE has.
Agree with that. Would have to re-sign Meyers and add weapons.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lamar Jackson is traded to Atlanta:

- BucsNBills or Primeminister or someone spelled this one out in the last couple weeks. I think it’s a fun fit and I personally want the division to be stronger.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buccaneer centric:

Do whatever is necessary to keep LVD a Buccaneer.

He won a ring in Tampa. He fulfilled the Cornhusker prophecy that Barrett Ruud did not. LVD’s 88.5 coverage grade this season ranked second among off-ball LBs, and his 93.0 PFF grade over the past four seasons is tops at the position. Give him a 3 year deal and call it a day.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:51 pm Something I'd prefer not to see:

Tom Brady signing with Tennessee Titans (or any other team that isn't close to contention)

- Titans are looking at 4 new o-line starters.
- WR group – at the moment – is not great.
- The team is not ready made for a deep playoff run. Roster isn’t there yet.

Vrabel, Henry, and the bad division are draws. But as we’ve learned in Tampa, just getting to the playoffs and hoping to be good isn’t a real strategy.
I don’t get why people bring the Titans up as a Brady landing spot. I get the whole Vrabel connection, but if Tom Brady wants to be around buddies at 46 years old he can just retire. He would be better off staying here and I don’t think we can realistically give him a shot to win the Super Bowl next year either.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Jimmy G. Hispanic? I think he's Italian.

Great writeup, and a fun read, Snake.
Last edited by Moozician on Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Moozician wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:06 pm Jimmy G. Hispanic? I think he's Italian.
I honestly thought he was Middle Eastern.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:47 pm Seattle Seahawks sign Geno Smith to multiple year extension:

Geno Smith: 4300 passing yards (7th in NFL), 30 passing TDs (4th in NFL) against 11 INTs, 79.8 PFF grade, in age 32 season.

Seattle picks 5th in this draft thanks to the Russell Wilson trade. And keep their own pick at #20. If Geno leaves – albeit unlikely – they’re now in that position of needing a QB and being in prime QB picking spot. The top two purported QB prospects are likely to go in the top 4. So, hold tight or trade up or take someone from their next tier of prospect orrrrrr raid the FA market for a Carr?

Just sign Geno. Don’t do the franchise tag dance like Dak and the Cowboys. Don’t low ball him like Lamar. Find a deal that bakes in his age and his lack of track record. Done.

IMO, that is the franchise tag.
Snake

Post by Snake »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:12 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:47 pm Seattle Seahawks sign Geno Smith to multiple year extension:

IMO, that is the franchise tag.
That is certainly an option. if you believe in him and you can parse out the tape and figure out how “real” the stats were, I think there’s enough there to make a decision right now.

Franchise tag money is pretty insane money for Geno Smith, considering his career trajectory. So I doubt he would be too upset…

My opinion:

I think you can lock him into a good contract that doesn’t pay him like a top five quarterback if you do it now. There is risk inherent in that. But there’s also a risk in him coming out and having an even better season and you’re going to try to threaten him with the franchise tag again? And now you’re using his age against him in negotiations blah blah blah…

If he’s not willing to be reasonable about it, franchise and review your options. But if he’s willing to entertain a five-year deal at a lower clip, that’s what I would do…
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:54 pm Lamar Jackson is traded to Atlanta:

- BucsNBills or Primeminister or someone spelled this one out in the last couple weeks. I think it’s a fun fit and I personally want the division to be stronger.
I hate this but it makes too much sense.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:22 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:54 pm Lamar Jackson is traded to Atlanta:

Not for Baltimore.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:50 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:22 pm

Not for Baltimore.
Shouldn’t keep a guy who doesn’t want to be there and doesn’t feel appreciated. Just doesn’t make sense to have your QB in enmity.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 am

Not for Baltimore.
Shouldn’t keep a guy who doesn’t want to be there and doesn’t feel appreciated. Just doesn’t make sense to have your QB in enmity.
On the one hand: firing Greg Roman probably helped a lot, and undoubtedly the next hire will have Jackson's approval...The Ravens are known to be a very strong organization that have rarely seen disgruntled players over the years...They've been building their attack around Jackson's strengths for several years...and former league MVPs this young simply never get loose.

On the other hand...Watson and the Browns completely screwed up the system, and as a direct result, Jackson and the Ravens are more than $100 Mil apart on guaranteed money right now. That's a hell of a lot of money. If some team IS willing to give Jackson a fully guaranteed deal, I can see Jackson pulling a Watson (no, not that) and sitting out until he's dealt.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 am

Not for Baltimore.

How long before he feels that way about Atlanta. By the way we better, we need to get faster on defense.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I would like to see myself lose about 30 pounds and have a chance to meet Mike Evans at a Buccaneers event. Neither will happen, but I can dream.

Seriously, I want to see the Buccaneers finalize the offensive staff so that it has a good amount of time to evaluate Trask. Second, I would love to see the Buccaneers finally develop a QB that is a franchise QB. After trading away Steve Young and watching him have a great career in SF it irks me that they have never really developed a decent QB. Dilfer who is not a franchise signal caller even won a Lombardi after the Buccaneers traded him. WTF. it is good that the Buccaneers finally got the acquire old veteran QB and win with him down (Brad and Tom), but they have yet to actually draft and develop a winner.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 pm I would like to see myself lose about 30 pounds and have a chance to meet Mike Evans at a Buccaneers event. Neither will happen, but I can dream.

Seriously, I want to see the Buccaneers finalize the offensive staff so that it has a good amount of time to evaluate Trask. Second, I would love to see the Buccaneers finally develop a QB that is a franchise QB. After trading away Steve Young and watching him have a great career in SF it irks me that they have never really developed a decent QB. Dilfer who is not a franchise signal caller even won a Lombardi after the Buccaneers traded him. WTF. it is good that the Buccaneers finally got the acquire old veteran QB and win with him down (Brad and Tom), but they have yet to actually draft and develop a winner.
It’s only been 50 years, dude. We just need more time!
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 pm I would like to see myself lose about 30 pounds and have a chance to meet Mike Evans at a Buccaneers event. Neither will happen, but I can dream.

Steve Young was never going to become "Steve Young" as long as he was here
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Well actually they drafted two ‘winners’ really. Doug Williams and Vinny Testaverde. They just simply could not develop either of them they way they should have.
I said what I said

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

My point stands. I want to see the Buccaneers draft and develop a winner at QB. I would like to enjoy 10 years of excellent quarterbacking.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

13F11B wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:45 pm My point stands. I want to see the Buccaneers draft and develop a winner at QB. I would like to enjoy 10 years of excellent quarterbacking.
From your mouth to the Football God’s ears.
I said what I said

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:46 pm

If looks are any indication Cage is a pretty good QB, heh?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:46 pm Like to see (QB centric):

Aaron Rodgers restructures his contract and his traded to New England for Mac Jones and draft picks.

- Patriots have $38m in cap space before any cap chicanery.

- Patriots went 8-9 with an absolute joke of a coaching staff situation link. They had a positive point differential. 11th best defense in terms of points allowed. 17th in points scored. They had a 3 game winning streak, and three 2 game losing streaks. They were sitting at .500 football in week 17. Point being, it was as a steady as a Patriots team as one would normally expect. Decent result considering the dysfunction around the team.

- Patriots hired Bill O’Brien to run the offense and have all but named Jerod Mayo the DC. He is an associate HC and helped interview OC candidates, as well. B’OB is at his best as an OC. Former players speak about his ability to coach all position groups, play sequence, and ability to keep things elementary or go super granular if the time calls for it. Even if he’s average, this is a huge upgrade for them.

- Mac Jones finished with 14 TDs, 11 INTs through the air. We’ll give him a break due to the coaching issues. But, he isn’t Aaron Rodgers. Or even Old Aaron Rodgers.

- Belichick is a known fan boy of Rodgers. Rodgers calls Belichick a living legend and the greatest coach of all time regularly. To be fair, those are just indisputable realities than compliments for Belichick. But, it’s something. The two had lengthy conversations before and after their matchup last season. link). Real recognize real. and Aaron is a weird enough dude to go for something like this.

- Belichick won’t coach forever. He’s the oldest HC in the NFL. He more than anybody knows the value of an elite QB. Mac Jones could end up a good NFL QB. He could even be one right now. But, he won’t ever be elite or a top 7 QB.

- Rodgers had a down year by his standards. Which are perhaps higher than anyone. Back to back MVPs the two previous seasons. His leading receiver in 2022 was a rookie 2nd round pick who played for North Dakota State the previous season. And career 3rd WR Lazard.

- I believe the Patriots can win their division with Rodgers at the helm, an improved coaching staff, and some choice additions to WR.
Ahem

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

😂 😂 😂

Keep dreaming
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Sweet!!! 😂 😂
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s broken other pats news before.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If he’s going to the Patriots

Jets signed Allan Lazard? Because of Rodgers?? Crazy

I mean Jets>Pats
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Oh fucking hell
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

He’s taking his talent to NYC. Well I mean Jersey?