WTF was wrong with this team

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
13F11B

WTF was wrong with this team

Post by 13F11B »

That was what I was worried Bowles was bringing to the team. How the heck can none of the players be responding to Brady?
King Bootz

Re: WTF was wrong with this team

Post by King Bootz »

They aren't responding to Brady because A. Brady hasn't played well and B. Brady wasn't all in on this season, even by his own admission. You can't lead by example when the example isn't up to par.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:53 am

That was what I was worried Bowles was bringing to the team. How the heck can none of the players be responding to Brady?
Brady has to wear some of the blame here. Actually he has to wear the majority of it. Brady was never all in while demanding that his teammates were. That leads to what we see in that video.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

"We" were content with what we had. Coaching, players, personnel, etc. we we're like, "upgrades...we don't need no stinking upgrades"

Sure, we brought in Julio and Gage, but that's like putting rims on a care while the engine is on a cherry picker at a buddy's house.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brady fucked it up from jump and Bowles has the emotional range of a corpse.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

No wonder Bowles talked so much about changing the culture at his end of season press conference. The apathy is real.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:00 am Brady fucked it up from jump and Bowles has the emotional range of a corpse.
Bowles is a walking zombie up there but Brady took a week off from training camp so he lost the respect of the locker room and couldn’t lead the team this season. :lol: :lol:
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:01 am
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:00 am Brady fucked it up from jump and Bowles has the emotional range of a corpse.
Bowles is a walking zombie up there but Brady took a week off from training camp so he lost the respect of the locker room and couldn’t lead the team this season. :lol: :lol:
It wasn’t simply taking the week off. It’s everything about Brady was simply off this season. He was visibly never truly bought in which was probably due to the divorce, but it matters. The team stopped responding to him sometime after the game he was berating everyone while himself playing like shit. I remember the OL just looking away because Brady was bitching while missing throws and throwing interceptions.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:12 am

It wasn’t simply taking the week off. It’s everything about Brady was simply off this season. He was visibly never truly bought in which was probably due to the divorce, but it matters. The team stopped responding to him sometime after the game he was berating everyone while himself playing like shit. I remember the OL just looking away because Brady was bitching while missing throws and throwing interceptions.
The Steelers game. They were completely ignoring him and with good reason. He went to Kraft's wedding that Friday and met the team in Pittsburgh Saturday. IIRC he missed the team walk through.

That should have never been allowed to happen. Belichick wasn't even at the wedding. Nor were any Patriots coaches or players.

You can't preach to me if you're doing something different.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

The never bought in comments are just people seeing what they want as a result of media drama over the missed training camp. Ever since Brady took that week off there have been posters on here writing him off as well as an unrelenting media surge.

But that’s all speculation. We have a handful of clips of Brady on the sidelines and some press conferences to give us insight into how Brady was acting this season. That’s it.

Meanwhile we have a head coach with zero passion, zero fire. We hear from him every week. We witness his coaching style firsthand. but he’s not the problem getting our team motivated, Brady somehow is.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Redrum wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:08 am No wonder Bowles talked so much about changing the culture at his end of season press conference. The apathy is real.
I'm confused. You think Bowles is changing the apathy? Have you ever seen him? I mean at any time. Doesn't even have to be on the field while he's working. Have you ever seen any expression from him whatsoever? He's the post-covid Jim Caldwell meme waiting to happen.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The only emotions I’ve ever seen from him are small amounts of incredulity and disgust.

#LeaderOfMen
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Brady's mistake was coming back to the Bucs, period. I guess that tells you how much he wanted out of his marriage.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:10 am
Redrum wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:08 am No wonder Bowles talked so much about changing the culture at his end of season press conference. The apathy is real.
I'm confused. You think Bowles is changing the apathy? Have you ever seen him? I mean at any time. Doesn't even have to be on the field while he's working. Have you ever seen any expression from him whatsoever? He's the post-covid Jim Caldwell meme waiting to happen.
Oh I agree. Bowles is very monotone. He's not the ra-ra guy who will get the troops fired up. Tom Brady was that guy but last year it didn't work for whatever reason. I think Bowles wants to get rid of the players who he believes didn't buy in last year and bring in high energy guys to replace them.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:24 am

The never bought in comments are just people seeing what they want as a result of media drama over the missed training camp. Ever since Brady took that week off there have been posters on here writing him off as well as an unrelenting media surge.

But that’s all speculation. We have a handful of clips of Brady on the sidelines and some press conferences to give us insight into how Brady was acting this season. That’s it.

Meanwhile we have a head coach with zero passion, zero fire. We hear from him every week. We witness his coaching style firsthand. but he’s not the problem getting our team motivated, Brady somehow is.
The posters posting that Brady seemed more disconnected than previously which have included me from the day he decided to return are correct. The fact that Bowles provides outward dispassion can also be true. If we can read Bowles outward appearance as providing evidence, we can read Brady's issues as providing evidence as well.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bill Belichek is literally a robot, so saying a coach's demeanor has an impact is not accurate.
Belichek
Dungy
Lovie

All these guys are plane Jane and have had unquestionable success.
nybf

Post by nybf »

You just have to find a batshit crazy rumor to float past dungy if you want him to show emotion.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:04 pm I heard a rumor that he's against women's reproductive rights
I have no doubt he is. But that's run of the mill stuff for people like him. You have to find the truly crazy, the stuff only people with brain worms would believe. Then you'll get a reaction from him.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Without being imbedded with the team, it's hard to say why the team looked and felt so flat. But when I see it I presume it's a failure of leadership, from a coaching and/or player perspective.

The fix? Get rid of what bad apples you can and add guys who give a shit.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:39 pm Bill Belichek is literally a robot, so saying a coach's demeanor has an impact is not accurate.
Belichek
Dungy
Lovie

All these guys are plane Jane and have had unquestionable success.
Yeah, I don't buy whatever ra-ra bs people are trying to say here.
Also, many players have said not to be fooled by Bowles gameday zen, dude chews you out and curses like a sailor when you've earned it. Either way, I think it's a silly think to try to read too much into anyway.

As for the OP... it colors your view before you even watch it. Even in the first huddle, dudes are nodding and doing everything normal. I have no doubt there were definitely moments the team tuned Tom out this year though, particularly when he was missing practices and walkthroughs.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:31 pm Bowles gameday zen
:lol:

Every time you see him, he looks like he's searching for someone in the stands. But yeah, gameday zen.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

The funny thing is this. I can find pictures of Bowles on our sidelines smiling. Jets I can. Cards I can. This is the closest I could find. Must be from watching Devin White free lancing too much

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Pretty tame.

Not that you want a psychotic Gruden type either.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I have no issue with Bowles lack of emotion on game day. I do have issues with the team not being properly engaged in the game. It is a careful balance. I do not need a hot head getting 15-yard penalties because they lack self-control (Mike Evans at New Orleans style) nor do I want someone who does not get fired up to play within the rules.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Kacy Rodgers was Bowles defensive coordinator all 4 years as a Jet. Now 4 years as defensive line coach here.
So does Bowles keep control of the DC badge - give it to Kacy Rodgers again - or go with a new name?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:26 pm Kacy Rodgers was Bowles defensive coordinator all 4 years as a Jet. Now 4 years as defensive line coach here.
So does Bowles keep control of the DC badge - give it to Kacy Rodgers again - or go with a new name?
I honestly do not like the Bowles defense. Great on 1st and 2nd down with a tremendous letdown on third down happened way too much.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I felt that was the case too but looking it up right now we were actually pretty good on third down. We definitely didn't blitz nearly as much as Bowles would've liked due to injuries. And we almost never got to unleash the grave diggers this year either.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:16 am

The Steelers game. They were completely ignoring him and with good reason. He went to Kraft's wedding that Friday and met the team in Pittsburgh Saturday. IIRC he missed the team walk through.

That should have never been allowed to happen. Belichick wasn't even at the wedding. Nor were any Patriots coaches or players.

You can't preach to me if you're doing something different.
This game was the one that bothered me. What bothers me more than Brady actually going to the wedding instead of being with the team, is that the organization signed off on it. Bending over backwards for one player that’s likely going to leave us high and dry anyways. If it were literally any other football player besides Tom Brady, he would have been crucified in the media for that.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:17 pm I felt that was the case too but looking it up right now we were actually pretty good on third down. We definitely didn't blitz nearly as much as Bowles would've liked due to injuries. And we almost never got to unleash the grave diggers this year either.
I guess it is fan-induced hysteria from watching them allow teams to go down the field and score so often. I miss the Sapp defense.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Emotion by a coach is completely overrated. Jon Cooper of the Lightning has an argument for being the best coach of any sport in the last 20 years that isn't Hoodie and the dude has the emotional range of a cow chewing cud until we win the Stanley Cup. Emotional response plays a role in player response, yes. But we're emphasizing it probably twice as much as we need to be. Even baseball managers barely flinch half the time no matter what happens

Bowles is guilty of so much more
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Someone has to be the bad guy... that is just the way things work.

If that is not the coach it has to be someone else.

Dungy had Sapp
Bowles had Brady.

I guess the question is who is that going to be next season? I don't see that person on the squad right now.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Digital_Damage wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:55 pm Someone has to be the bad guy... that is just the way things work.

If that is not the coach it has to be someone else.

Dungy had Sapp
Bowles had Brady.

I guess the question is who is that going to be next season? I don't see that person on the squad right now.
That comes SO CLOSE to "Team Identity..."
Late 90's to the Bucs first Super bowl, it WAS Sapp.
The last three years, it was Brady, but lately?

This team no longer HAS an identity, and the losing culture is back, like a bad rash.

Who is it going to be next season?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's a little unfair. While it's true Brady fills up any room he's in, we also have a lot of great guys on this team.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:29 pm That's a little unfair. While it's true Brady fills up any room he's in, we also have a lot of great guys on this team.
This doesn't play up to the narrative that without Brady, a team consisting of Tristan Wirfs, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Ryan Jensen, Vita Vea, Antoine Winfield Jr, Shaq Barrett, Carlton Davis, Lavonte David, Devin White will be in the running for the #1 overall pick.