The Official Jameis Winston Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
These Are The Days

Re: The Official Jameis Winston Thread

Post by These Are The Days »

Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:50 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:56 pm Can anyone remember a time where a team just straight up moved on from it's former #1 overall player who was supposed to be the face of the franchise and that team completely turns it around and wins a title?
The Rams and Jared Goff just last year.
Cheb's got dibs on me

#TheseAreTheBlunders
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

These Are The Days wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:56 pm Can anyone remember a time where a team just straight up moved on from it's former #1 overall player who was supposed to be the face of the franchise and that team completely turns it around and wins a title?
Brady’s done it twice.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:18 pm
Brady’s done it twice.
Damned right he did. haha!
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:18 pm I actually liked Bruce Gradkowski. Many moons ago I updated the batched draft class to Madden and this Gradkoski guy would go on to win SB MVP on a sim. Then we drafted it. Didn't go the same well.

For me it's still a what if about Josh Johnson and Jon Gruden.
Dude, the "Gruden commits to building around Josh Johnson" scenario would be one of my very first choices for the Futurama "What If" machine.

Of course, we should all accept that Gruden never would have done it. He was fired early in 2009? That offseason, he either signs David Carr as his pet reclamation project or 39 year old Kerry Collins. But at least we wouldn't have drafted Freeman.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
These Are The Days

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:33 pm
Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:18 pm I actually liked Bruce Gradkowski. Many moons ago I updated the batched draft class to Madden and this Gradkoski guy would go on to win SB MVP on a sim. Then we drafted it. Didn't go the same well.

Dude, the "Gruden commits to building around Josh Johnson" scenario would be one of my very first choices for the Futurama "What If" machine.

Of course, we should all accept that Gruden never would have done it. He was fired early in 2009? That offseason, he either signs David Carr as his pet reclamation project or 39 year old Kerry Collins. But at least we wouldn't have drafted Freeman.
There's no scenario where Gruden gets someone and is happy. He's the dude who rebuilds classic cars and stops in the middle of one project to start up another until all he has to show for it is a graveyard garage full of shit that doesn't run.

Every time I think about him coaching Rodgers I think about how he'd have a single season before Gruden got frustrated and moved on to someone else.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He seem to reclaim Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson well enough. Even gave Jeff Garcia a nice second breath.

Brady took over for a #1 Bledsoe and and #1 Winston.
Stafford took over from a #1 Goff.
Nick Foles took over for a #2 Wentz.

Of course this is a very niche scenario as there's only one #1 pick each year.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

You forgot 1. Goff took over for a #1 Stafford.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I just don't understand why Glazer waited so long to fire Gruden. After that choke job in 2008, Gruden should've been fired the day after the season ended.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Dread

Post by Dread »

Defense5599 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 am

I just don't understand why Glazer waited so long to fire Gruden. After that choke job in 2008, Gruden should've been fired the day after the season ended.
Gruden was fired mid-Jan 2009 after losing 4 consecutive games to end the season 9-7 (after starting 9-3).

So he was fired right after the regular season ended.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Dread wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:21 am
Defense5599 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 am

Gruden was fired mid-Jan 2009 after losing 4 consecutive games to end the season 9-7 (after starting 9-3).

Yeah, but back in 2008, the season ended in late December. Still puzzles me why they waited a couple weeks.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Defense5599 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 am
Dread wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:21 am

Yeah, but back in 2008, the season ended in late December. Still puzzles me why they waited a couple weeks.
It happened the day after Mike Shanahan got fired by the Broncos. The popular theory was Shanny was the reason Gruden was fired. Turned out, no.

I'm sure there's an interesting story about how that all went down echoing through the halls of OBP. I've never heard it. My best guess? Ownership wanted to hire his assistants (especially with Monte now leaving) and Gruden balked.
Let's roll another joint
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:05 am
Defense5599 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 am

It happened the day after Mike Shanahan got fired by the Broncos. The popular theory was Shanny was the reason Gruden was fired. Turned out, no.

I'm sure there's an interesting story about how that all went down echoing through the halls of OBP. I've never heard it. My best guess? Ownership wanted to hire his assistants (especially with Monte now leaving) and Gruden balked.
Ironically both coaches had their teams in first place with five games to go and totally imploded. I remember that year very well. Shanny and Gruden made it a total of seven coaches getting the axe. That's a lot.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

MJW wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:53 am I kinda gotta jump in and say something.

Mike Glennon, since he's left Tampa, has been bad. He's not only not developed, he's regressed. I don't think anyone would argue with that. His best fate now is getting another 3 or 4 years holding a clipboard. It's over for him.

BUT...

The revisionist history has become that he had no potential, or he couldn't play, and we had no choice but to move on from him ASAP. That's not true.

Lovie and Co. screwed him the hell over in 2014. The kid was coming off of a damn solid rookie season, considering. We were a bad team. He didn't get any first team reps until ten minutes before he became the starter. Schiano was a joke and the locker room was crumbling around us.

Glennon came in under those conditions, had a better than 2-1 TD/INT, completed about 60%, had respectable metrics. He went 4-4 over his last 8 starts that year while Schiano blitzed the kneel downs. Next to Vincent Jackson, his best receiver was Tim Wright. His leading rusher was Bobby Rainey. Brian Leonard and Tiquan Underwood played prominent roles in the offense. Still, he had a rookie year where, if a first rounder had it under those conditions, you'd feel like the future was bright.

Lovie comes in, signs his buddy from Chicago Josh McCown, and refuses to give Glennon a shot at the job. McCown is DREADFUL. He's just awful. 11 TDs, 14 INTs, 56% completed, sacked about 1 out of every 8 dropbacks. Glennon, when he did get time because of injuries? He leads the best win of the season against the Steelers. He throws 10 TDs to 6 INTs. He plays more aggressively and shows signs of real growth.

But by then, it's over. He was "beaten out" by Josh McCown on the worst team in the league. Winston and Mariota are both seen as potential franchise guys. The end.

I BELIEVE there is a universe where Lovie doesn't screw Glennon over. He gets 16 more starts. He shows promise. And if we still pick first despite that (possible), we trade the pick for a friggin' brinks truck of draft capital and we build around him.

Would this have yielded a Superbowl? Probably not. Neither did Jameis or Mariota.

But can we please stop pretending Glennon was Bruce Gradkowski?
Glennon's biggest issue is that he's so immobile that if he doesn't have a good line he's garbage.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

The Outsider wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:43 am
MJW wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:53 am I kinda gotta jump in and say something.

Mike Glennon, since he's left Tampa, has been bad. He's not only not developed, he's regressed. I don't think anyone would argue with that. His best fate now is getting another 3 or 4 years holding a clipboard. It's over for him.

BUT...

The revisionist history has become that he had no potential, or he couldn't play, and we had no choice but to move on from him ASAP. That's not true.

Lovie and Co. screwed him the hell over in 2014. The kid was coming off of a damn solid rookie season, considering. We were a bad team. He didn't get any first team reps until ten minutes before he became the starter. Schiano was a joke and the locker room was crumbling around us.

Glennon came in under those conditions, had a better than 2-1 TD/INT, completed about 60%, had respectable metrics. He went 4-4 over his last 8 starts that year while Schiano blitzed the kneel downs. Next to Vincent Jackson, his best receiver was Tim Wright. His leading rusher was Bobby Rainey. Brian Leonard and Tiquan Underwood played prominent roles in the offense. Still, he had a rookie year where, if a first rounder had it under those conditions, you'd feel like the future was bright.

Lovie comes in, signs his buddy from Chicago Josh McCown, and refuses to give Glennon a shot at the job. McCown is DREADFUL. He's just awful. 11 TDs, 14 INTs, 56% completed, sacked about 1 out of every 8 dropbacks. Glennon, when he did get time because of injuries? He leads the best win of the season against the Steelers. He throws 10 TDs to 6 INTs. He plays more aggressively and shows signs of real growth.

But by then, it's over. He was "beaten out" by Josh McCown on the worst team in the league. Winston and Mariota are both seen as potential franchise guys. The end.

I BELIEVE there is a universe where Lovie doesn't screw Glennon over. He gets 16 more starts. He shows promise. And if we still pick first despite that (possible), we trade the pick for a friggin' brinks truck of draft capital and we build around him.

Would this have yielded a Superbowl? Probably not. Neither did Jameis or Mariota.

But can we please stop pretending Glennon was Bruce Gradkowski?
Brady's biggest issue is that he's so immobile that if he doesn't have a good line he's garbage.
FIFY...Just saying, that really shouldn't be an excuse.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

acmillis wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:52 pm
The Outsider wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:43 am

Brady's biggest issue is that he's so immobile that if he doesn't have a good line he's garbage.
FIFY...Just saying, that really shouldn't be an excuse.
Being slow doesn't equal being immobile. Brady is really good at moving around in the pocket and avoiding the rush. He's also got one of the quickest releases in the game. Glennon may as well be a statue and his release isn't near quick enough to compensate for that.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Glennon needed a specific offense to be successful. Ironically, it would look a lot like Pre-Brady Bruce Arians liked to run. Passing out of heavy sets. Play-action. Like that.

But he COULD have been successful. And considering how lousy the situation he played in here in Tampa was, he did a solid job despite his shortcomings.
Let's roll another joint
Dread

Post by Dread »

MJW still stumping for Glennon warms my heart.

You're a loyal girl MJW, for better or worse. Once you believe in a player it takes alot to move you off that belief. Same is true once you have a negative view of a player.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Glennon had the same issues elsewhere and the comparison to Brady makes no sense. Brady has much better pocket awareness and his release is quicker. Glennon wasn't great at either.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:49 am Glennon needed a specific offense to be successful. Ironically, it would look a lot like Pre-Brady Bruce Arians liked to run. Passing out of heavy sets. Play-action. Like that.

But he COULD have been successful. And considering how lousy the situation he played in here in Tampa was, he did a solid job despite his shortcomings.
Then how come the Bears signed him to a pretty substantial deal, then a month later, butchered their draft to get Mitch Trubisky? After watching him for a few offseason workouts, they knew they fucked up giving him that deal. He proved them right, lasting only four games as a starter and has bounced around the league ever since.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:35 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:49 am Glennon needed a specific offense to be successful. Ironically, it would look a lot like Pre-Brady Bruce Arians liked to run. Passing out of heavy sets. Play-action. Like that.

Then how come the Bears signed him to a pretty substantial deal, then a month later, butchered their draft to get Mitch Trubisky? After watching him for a few offseason workouts, they knew they fucked up giving him that deal. He proved them right, lasting only four games as a starter and has bounced around the league ever since.
Nah, this isn't it.

John Fox wanted Glennon. He wanted to play the offense I'm describing - heavy sets, heavy run, play action, good defense.

Ryan Pace, then the GM, fell in love with Trubisky. Fox didn't want him. He didn't even know he was going to be the pick.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/270 ... fore-draft
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Let's roll another joint
These Are The Days

MJW wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:38 pm https://www.amazon.com/Jameis-Winston-D ... 5&sr=8-152
Holy shit.
This is incredible.

Guarantee this fellow bought the book or wrote it

_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

I need to write a book.

That fucking guy is going to sell a half million copies in Louisiana alone.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

I suppose if esteemed literary critic Jacquez Green recommends a book you should probably read it.

I remember being so pissed when we drafted him so high: wasn’t he like 5’6 145 pounds?
Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin »

Brazen331 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:34 am I suppose if esteemed literary critic Jacquez Green recommends a book you should probably read it.

I remember being so pissed when we drafted him so high: wasn’t he like 5’6 145 pounds?
He was no Ike Hilliard.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Talk about using creative math to pump up a guy. And while those stats might be true, you can't overlook the fact that he never improved on his decision making skills and penchant for turnovers.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

Capsaicin wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:27 am
Brazen331 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:34 am I suppose if esteemed literary critic Jacquez Green recommends a book you should probably read it.

He was no Ike Hilliard.
Or Reidel Anthony. We just couldn’t get enough of those Spurrier WRs from UF. I just looked up Green and he is now the head football coach at Manatee HS.
Kress

Post by Kress »

MJW wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:38 pm https://www.amazon.com/Jameis-Winston-D ... 5&sr=8-152
Holy shit.
Gun to your head: If shown that cover sketch and asked to identify the man, would you, within your first 375 guesses, say Jameis Winston?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Not with that skinny of a face.
These Are The Days

Kress wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:15 pm
Holy shit.
Gun to your head: If shown that cover sketch and asked to identify the man, would you, within your first 375 guesses, say Jameis Winston?
It's an excellent sketch. It might've taken me a minute but I think I could've gotten it
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:40 pm

It's an excellent sketch. It might've taken me a minute but I think I could've gotten it
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

That’s only because you’ve had Lasik.
Kress

Post by Kress »

_MB_ wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:25 pm

It's Jameis Winston derangement syndrome.

Fact.
These Are The Days

_MB_ wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:25 pm

He said 375 tries!!
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

These Are The Days wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:46 pm
Holy shit.
This is incredible.

Guarantee this fellow bought the book or wrote it

The dude who wrote it send Joebucsfan a tweet in Jameis' last season with us full of stats and graphs to show how Winston stacks up with Hall of Fame quarterbacks. As if they comparing Favre's first 4 seasons is comparable to the modern NFL.