The Official Jameis Winston Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Toothpick

Re: The Official 2021 Jameis Winston Thread

Post by Toothpick »

Sometimes a new team and coach can change your career, Winston did not manage the game he did what Brees told him to do, take what the defense gives you. He ran for key first down. Ryan Tannehill is a great example, Arians is having a 44 year old QB to throw 50 times, Bucs are yet to fix the running game. The true QB whisperer are Andy Reid and Sean Payton.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Great game by Winston. Still glad he's gone. He was never going to be a winner here.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:02 pm I find JaMiss fascinating. Given the pedigree, the 30-30 record, going to arguably the best offensive head coach in the league.

I think it’s must watch TV. To see if he can stay within the parameters that Payton has put around him. Curious to see how he’s going to do when they’re playing from behind in the second half.
If Sean Payton can win games without his QB NOT passing for more than 100yds through the first 3 quarters he deserves to be unanimous CoY.

Kudos to the Saints for dominating that game and Jameis for executing the few low risk throws he did.

Jameis wasn't part of why they lost, so that's progress.

But from what I saw there were not any high pressure/stress throws and we saw alot of the same Jameis we did from 2015-2019.

He almost threw the ball over Kamara's head on 3rd and 2 on that 2nd drive of the game.

His 2nd TD pass was his famous heave into the end zone while getting sacked. His TE made a good a play on the ball. It was 4th down that play so no real damage with an INT, but still that habit of throwing the ball in the red zone while getting sacked was all too familiar.

He did thrown a 3rd quarter INT in the RZ with the score 24-3 that could have been costly. But he got bailed out by a suspect roughing the passer call.

So even in a game where the running attack and defense dominated which allowed Jameis to be neutered as a QB we still saw some #exciting brushes with danger. It's just who the kid is, he can't help himself not go for it.

He didn't have an 'explosive' passing play (one that is >20yds) until he hit that bomb with 10minutes left already up 31-3.

In yesterday's game nothing was asked of Jameis, to his credit he didn't hurt his team trying to do too much. Which has always been his problem with turnovers.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:27 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:02 pm I find JaMiss fascinating. Given the pedigree, the 30-30 record, going to arguably the best offensive head coach in the league.

I think it’s must watch TV. To see if he can stay within the parameters that Payton has put around him. Curious to see how he’s going to do when they’re playing from behind in the second half.
If Sean Payton can win games without his QB NOT passing for more than 100yds through the first 3 quarters he deserves to be unanimous CoY.

Kudos to the Saints for dominating that game and Jameis for executing the few low risk throws he did.

But from what I saw there were not any high pressure/stress throws and we saw alot of the same Jameis we did from 2015-2019.

He almost threw the ball over Kamara's head on 3rd and 2 on that 2nd drive of the game.

His 2nd TD pass was his famous heave into the end zone while getting sacked. His TE made a good a play on the ball. It was 4th down that play so no real damage with an INT, but still that habit of throwing the ball in the red zone while getting sacked was all too familiar.

He did thrown a 3rd quarter INT in the RZ with the score 24-3 that could have been costly. But he got bailed out by a suspect roughing the passer call.

So even in a game where the running attack and defense dominated which allowed Jameis to be neutered as a QB we still saw some #exciting brushes with danger. It's just who the kid is, he can't help himself not go for it.

He didn't have an 'explosive' passing play (one that is >20yds) until he hit that bomb with 10minutes left already up 31-3.

In yesterday's game nothing was asked of Jameis, to his credit he didn't hurt his team trying to do too much. Which has always been his problem with turnovers.
This is the exact desperation that to criticize I don't understand at this point. Like what exactly are you looking to convince people of? That he did what most QBs are asked to do? That's the very thing Brady was brought here to do. Play within the system, make sound decisions, take whatever the defense gives you. Receivers had to make plays on the ball? That's what they get paid to do.

I wouldn't expect this fanbase to look at that game objectively. The contrarian viewpoint from which many of you look at this game go completely against what stats, advanced metrics, opinions, and analysis of the game say. Hell, most of it goes against what Buczone.com use to say regarding the importance of YARDS.

I think if you simply admit that you view Winston and the Saints as a threat it would go a lot further than your wonky analysis of what would has been categorized as a great QB performance by 99.9% of the football world.

This also plays heavily into the racial divide at the QB position. Drew Brees or Taysom Hill play this way it's "what QBs are supposed to do". Jameis Winston does it, he's all of a sudden been "neutered".
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:26 pm

This is the exact desperation that to criticize I don't understand at this point. Like what exactly are you looking to convince people of? That he did what most QBs are asked to do? That's the very thing Brady was brought here to do. Play within the system, make sound decisions, take whatever the defense gives you. Receivers had to make plays on the ball? That's what they get paid to do.

I wouldn't expect this fanbase to look at that game objectively. The contrarian viewpoint from which many of you look at this game go completely against what stats, advanced metrics, opinions, and analysis of the game say. Hell, most of it goes against what Buczone.com use to say regarding the importance of YARDS.

I think if you simply admit that you view Winston and the Saints as a threat it would go a lot further than your wonky analysis of what would has been categorized as a great QB performance by 99.9% of the football world.
The only thing I'm trying to convince people (like you) of is that I'd pump the breaks on the 'Jameis is fixed' narrative based on yesterday is all.

If you want to call his performance "great", so be it. It is certainly a nice box score which is where you are no doubt forming such an analysis.

I criticized Jameis for some things but stated pretty much what you're saying as well in that he did what he was asked. My point is nothing was asked/demanded of him.

As far as the Saints being a threat to this Bucs team? I'd say I don't consider a Jameis Winston led team to be a threat to beat a Tom Brady led one. But I'll leave it to you to make that argument. Since your not the contrarian, amirite?
Snake

Post by Snake »

You’re coming off a little unhinged here Bootz. All he’s doing is providing context for the events in the game. That is a big part of being objective. Taking all the other factors into consideration. Rather than jumping to emotional topics like race because you’re upset.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:43 pm

The only thing I'm trying to convince people (like you) of is that I'd pump the breaks on the 'Jameis is fixed' narrative based on yesterday is all.

If you want to call his performance "great", so be it. It is certainly a nice box score which is where you are no doubt forming such an analysis.

I criticized Jameis for some things but stated pretty much what you're saying as well in that he did what he was asked. My point is nothing was asked/demanded of him.

As far as the Saints being a threat to this Bucs team? I'd say I don't consider a Jameis Winston led team to be a threat to beat a Tom Brady led one. But I'll leave it to you to make that argument. Since your not the contrarian, amirite?
Literally no one is saying Jameis is fixed. No one. EVERYONE is saying the same thing. He played great yesterday. People like you have created this narrative in your head that if you somehow acknowledge he played well it means you think he's fixed. It's 1 game. Take it for what it is.

And the box score, game score, result, game tape, experts. All things say the performance was great. Your "pump the breaks" analysis goes against reality but I'm sure being inaccurate or wrong mean much to you.

I'll tell you what. You show me the last time a QB threw 5 TDs for 0 picks on 20 throws and the performance was called questionable, I'll give you a cookie. Go!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:44 pm You’re coming off a little unhinged here Bootz. All he’s doing is providing context for the events in the game. That is a big part of being objective. Taking all the other factors into consideration. Rather than jumping to emotional topics like race because you’re upset.
Except his context goes against reality and is hardly objective. That would take comparative data from other QBs, which I doubt @Dread has bothered to do. Maybe he has but he hasn't shown that. I offered comparative data. Look at what Taysom Hill did in this offense. No one said he was "neutered".
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:49 pm
Dread wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Literally no one is saying Jameis is fixed. No one. EVERYONE is saying the same thing. He played great yesterday. People like you have created this narrative in your head that if you somehow acknowledge he played well it means you think he's fixed. It's 1 game. Take it for what it is.

And the box score, game score, result, game tape, experts. All things say the performance was great. Your "pump the breaks" analysis goes against reality but I'm sure being inaccurate or wrong mean much to you.

I'll tell you what. You show me the last time a QB threw 5 TDs for 0 picks on 20 throws and the performance was called questionable, I'll give you a cookie. Go!
Cool, let's take it for the one game it was. I agree.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Bootz... The race card? Really? I don't think anyone (except you) bring up race.

Yeah Jameis had A GREAT GAME! But can he be consistent? Ask me at mid-season. If he IS, then yeah, New Orleans IS a bonafide threat against any team in the league.

But we had 5 years of inconsistency from him. I am hoping that he indeed reverts back to his old self. Takes the pressure off the Bucs. I wish Jameis no ill will, I just want him to be like he was here. Selfish on my part? Certainly.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:44 pm You’re coming off a little unhinged here Bootz. All he’s doing is providing context for the events in the game. That is a big part of being objective. Taking all the other factors into consideration. Rather than jumping to emotional topics like race because you’re upset.
Except his context goes against reality and is hardly objective. That would take comparative data from other QBs, which I doubt @Dread has bothered to do. Maybe he has but he hasn't shown that. I offered comparative data. Look at what Taysom Hill did in this offense. No one said he was "neutered".
You're being emotional. All I meant by neutered was that Sean Payton had, and was able to maintain a very conservative/low-risk game plan for Jameis.

Which is a fact.

But to refute your point, Taysom Hill is absolutely neutered as a passer by Sean Payton.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

13F11B wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 am It could be that Sean Peyton is just a better coach than Arians and Smith. It could be that Jameis finally got his brain properly functioning. I am not really concerned with it beyond wanting bad Jameis to show up against the Buccaneers.
I think "better coaches" is an oversimplification. People really down play how important "fit" is, they just assume if the HC is "really good" or if the QB is "really good" than they'll just make it work and that will be that.
I think Winston was an awful fit for DKs four verticals. He wasn't nearly as bad in Arians but you're going to get what you put in, and while I had Winston as my #3 prefered QB last offseason (Brady #1) I think the INTs would've come down but the rest stayed high. Ideal? No. Winnable? Yes.

Now he's in a Sean Peyton offense and it's probably the best fitting offense he's had to date. For one as my FSU buddy keeps point out Winton is best with a strong run game. Peyton's offense is a lot of short and intermediate, which will only get stronger when Slant Boy returns, with the occasional deep shot (which Winston has no problem taking).

Even if you think Winston is a total "forever bust" you should probably be rooting for a killer season from him. He's in a contract year after all. Wouldn't you love to hear the Saints extend him for $120M?
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I think I've seen this movie before.... Maybe the reboot of the series will have a different ending

I guess we wait and see
NeezDuts

Post by NeezDuts »

#exciting
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:54 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm

You're being emotional. All I meant by neutered was that Sean Payton had, and was able to maintain a very conservative/low-risk game plan for Jameis.

Which is a fact.

But to refute your point, Taysom Hill is absolutely neutered as a passer by Sean Payton.
I wasn't sure at first, but now you all but confirmed that you didn't even watch this game. The Saints game plan was anything but conservative. Especially early on. But if your thought process is that a 35 point ass kicking and 5 TD passes is "conservative" then I understand why you feel New Orleans is a threat.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 pm
Dread wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:54 pm

Which is a fact.

I wasn't sure at first, but now you all but confirmed that you didn't even watch this game. The Saints game plan was anything but conservative. Especially early on. But if your thought process is that a 35 point ass kicking and 5 TD passes is "conservative" then I understand why you feel New Orleans is a threat.
No passing plays of over 20yds through the first 3+ quarters while throwing for less than 100 totals yards.

Only two passes traveled more than 10 air yards in the first 3 quarters.

But sure kiddo. It wasn't a conservative gameplan for Jameis.

Since you watched the game please enlighten us on what throws you'd use as an example of his "great performance"?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:15 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 pm

No passing plays of over 20yds through the first 3+ quarters while throwing for less than 100 totals yards.

Only two passes traveled more than 10 air yards in the first 3 quarters.

But sure kiddo. It wasn't a conservative gameplan for Jameis.

Since you watched the game please enlighten us on what throws you'd use as an example of his "great performance"?
Pretty selective and subjective definition of what "conservative" is. You didn't even watch the game. Your entire assessment comes from box scores. That fact "neutered" your entire argument here
MJW

Post by MJW »

This also plays heavily into the racial divide at the QB position. Drew Brees or Taysom Hill play this way it's "what QBs are supposed to do". Jameis Winston does it, he's all of a sudden been "neutered".
Winston played a good game (yes, I did watch it.) He threw catchable, albeit rarely perfect, footballs. He threw a lot of screens. He was aided greatly by the fact that the run game was excellent and the score never allowed the Packers to pin their ears back. And the protection was absolutely brilliant. He basically had everything a QB could want. He moved well in the pocket and did a nice job scrambling for yardage, though the Saints O-Line was dominating and the Packers were playing a lot of man, so there was a lot of grass.

The touchdown passes are pretty much an outlier. Three of them were solid - a nice back of the end zone throw where only his guy could get it, a nice job keeping his head up and finding Hogan, and a nice deep ball to Harris (though a throw any starting QB SHOULD make.) The other two? One was a run play that odd NFL rules call a pass. The other, two Packers fell down and Winston almost overthrew the wide-open target anyway.

I will agree with the idea that if you give Jameis Winston a great running game, great protection, well-designed plays, and a defense that only gives up 3 points, yeah, he can win games in this league. But so can Rex Grossman, so whatever.

I'm not touching the race stuff. Seems like a lot of people are excited about Trey Lance and Justin Fields, though. Seems like Teddy Bridgewater is seeing some respect this morning in Denver. Lotta folks think Russell Wilson is already making his MVP case. Jalen Hurts undoubtedly selling some jerseys. You want to make Winston doubters racists, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

The only other interesting thing you said was about Buccaneers fans not being objective about Winston. You're damned right we're not. Would you expect Bernie Madoff victims to be objective about his next hedge fund?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm
13F11B wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 am It could be that Sean Peyton is just a better coach than Arians and Smith. It could be that Jameis finally got his brain properly functioning. I am not really concerned with it beyond wanting bad Jameis to show up against the Buccaneers.
I think "better coaches" is an oversimplification. People really down play how important "fit" is, they just assume if the HC is "really good" or if the QB is "really good" than they'll just make it work and that will be that.
I think Winston was an awful fit for DKs four verticals. He wasn't nearly as bad in Arians but you're going to get what you put in, and while I had Winston as my #3 prefered QB last offseason (Brady #1) I think the INTs would've come down but the rest stayed high. Ideal? No. Winnable? Yes.

Now he's in a Sean Peyton offense and it's probably the best fitting offense he's had to date. For one as my FSU buddy keeps point out Winton is best with a strong run game. Peyton's offense is a lot of short and intermediate, which will only get stronger when Slant Boy returns, with the occasional deep shot (which Winston has no problem taking).

Even if you think Winston is a total "forever bust" you should probably be rooting for a killer season from him. He's in a contract year after all. Wouldn't you love to hear the Saints extend him for $120M?
Best coaches make the scheme fit to their players. Give Payton a Lamar Jackson-type and it “fits” because he would adjust. You make a lot of excuses for people who make millions of dollars to do something that’s not very complicated.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:29 am

Winston played a good game (yes, I did watch it.) He threw catchable, albeit rarely perfect, footballs. He threw a lot of screens. He was aided greatly by the fact that the run game was excellent and the score never allowed the Packers to pin their ears back. And the protection was absolutely brilliant. He basically had everything a QB could want. He moved well in the pocket and did a nice job scrambling for yardage, though the Saints O-Line was dominating and the Packers were playing a lot of man, so there was a lot of grass.

The touchdown passes are pretty much an outlier. Three of them were solid - a nice back of the end zone throw where only his guy could get it, a nice job keeping his head up and finding Hogan, and a nice deep ball to Harris (though a throw any starting QB SHOULD make.) The other two? One was a run play that odd NFL rules call a pass. The other, two Packers fell down and Winston almost overthrew the wide-open target anyway.

I will agree with the idea that if you give Jameis Winston a great running game, great protection, well-designed plays, and a defense that only gives up 3 points, yeah, he can win games in this league. But so can Rex Grossman, so whatever.

I'm not touching the race stuff. Seems like a lot of people are excited about Trey Lance and Justin Fields, though. Seems like Teddy Bridgewater is seeing some respect this morning in Denver. Lotta folks think Russell Wilson is already making his MVP case. Jalen Hurts undoubtedly selling some jerseys. You want to make Winston doubters racists, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

The only other interesting thing you said was about Buccaneers fans not being objective about Winston. You're damned right we're not. Would you expect Bernie Madoff victims to be objective about his next hedge fund?
Last part is all that matters. If you’re unable to be objective (It’s odd comparing an NFL QB to someone who stole billions of dollars from investors clients but you said you’re not objective so) then your “analysis” means less than shit and is pointless to even take into consideration. Could’ve saved your energy typing all of this because by your own admission you’re biased here and will twist the facts to fit your own narrative.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

For someone that thought this thread was ridiculous and saying others are obsessed with JW, you sure seem to be talking a lot about him, Bootz. You have nearly twice as many posts in this thread over the next closest person. :lol:
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:28 am For someone that thought this thread was ridiculous and saying others are obsessed with JW, you sure seem to be talking a lot about him, Bootz. You have nearly twice as many posts in this thread over the next closest person. :lol:
Let's see. If I make a post and multiple people reply, and if I dignify the replies with a response, math and logic dictate I'd have more posts. You really are as stupid as I know you are and you prove it each time you seek me out. I've told you to fuck off numerous times but you can't help yourself. I don't know what else to say. I'll let you continue making a fool out of yourself. Fucking idiot.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:21 am
Buc2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:28 am For someone that thought this thread was ridiculous and saying others are obsessed with JW, you sure seem to be talking a lot about him, Bootz. You have nearly twice as many posts in this thread over the next closest person. :lol:
Let's see. If I make a post and multiple people reply, and if I dignify the replies with a response, math and logic dictate I'd have more posts. You really are as stupid as I know you are and you prove it each time you seek me out. I've told you to fuck off numerous times but you can't help yourself. I don't know what else to say. I'll let you continue making a fool out of yourself. Fucking idiot.
It was just an observation. No need to lose your shit over it. Btw, half of your posts were not in response to someone responding directly to you. Also, fwiw, you don't have to respond to every response. My advice to you is to not embarrass yourself further by responding to this response.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:23 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:21 am

It was just an observation. No need to lose your shit over it. Btw, half of your posts were not in response to someone responding directly to you. Also, fwiw, you don't have to respond to every response. My advice to you is to not embarrass yourself further by responding to this response.
My advice to has been to fuck off but you can't seem to do so. So I'd say you're pretty low on the totem pole as far as giving advice is concerned, kiddo. Maybe you should *GASP* TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE and not respond when Bootz speaks.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:28 pm
Buc2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:23 pm

My advice to has been to fuck off but you can't seem to do so. So I'd say you're pretty low on the totem pole as far as giving advice is concerned, kiddo. Maybe you should *GASP* TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE and not respond when Bootz speaks.
Tell you what, kiddo. I'll fuck off when you fuck off. Fair?
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

I preferred the Grownish iteration. He wasn’t nearly as irascible.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Has anyone checked Jameis 1-of-1’s Twitter yet? Dude is probably on one right now LOL
Snake

Post by Snake »

That’s the first time he’s been first overall in anything since his draft position. Congrats JaMiss!

Except INTs.
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

Skyrimownsall wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:52 pm That’s the first time he’s been first overall in anything since his draft position. Congrats JaMiss!

Except INTs.
sean payton is amazing,

even the media treating winston differently. New orleans fanbase loves winston.. really different from his time in tampa

Hi Sanka, why did you change your s/n ?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Not gonna lie. I laughed.
Don't tread on me
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Y'all don't need to worry about Winston being great any more this season.... I picked him up in fantasy so he'll return to being a turd any week now
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:49 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm

Best coaches make the scheme fit to their players. Give Payton a Lamar Jackson-type and it “fits” because he would adjust. You make a lot of excuses for people who make millions of dollars to do something that’s not very complicated.
"The best coaches".... that's just like your opinion man.

But seriously, history has shown us both "fit your scheme to your players" and hard ass "fit your players to your scheme" coaches have been able to win Superbowls. There are many ways to skin a cat. Sure, you can argue with one is "better" or "best", and maybe the way you rank them is even valid... who cares? All that matters is winning.

We spent the last two seasons arguing how Arians offense is "outdated" and that the "new" offenses of the day were "better". And my argument the whole time is who cares which is "better" so long as it works and works enough to win you a chip. Again, many ways to skin a cat.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Selmon Rules wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:51 pm Y'all don't need to worry about Winston being great any more this season.... I picked him up in fantasy so he'll return to being a turd any week now
Should've seen the reaction I got when I drafted him in the Buczone league.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Between the eye surgery and going to New Orleans on the cheap to learn how he was beaten 7 out of 10 times for his career. Yes he could have learned something from it. Now is not the time to obsess about, just wait and see what he does with his opportunity.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Raise your hand if you understood the post above.