Todd Monken Offense

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Todd Monken Offense

Post by Primeminister »

I’m not the guy to break down film, but I can find those who do. This is a breakdown of Todd Monken’s offense. Monken is currently Georgia’s OC and a hot candidate for NFL OC.

Deja Entendu

Re: Todd Monken Offense

Post by Deja Entendu »

Has a coach ever been fired from a team and gone back to that team? Same GM and for the same position - not even a promotion. I’m not against it, but I have a hard time seeing it.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Hiring Monken is going to have em saying we're going to take the QB Bennett too.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Deja Entendu wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:28 pm Has a coach ever been fired from a team and gone back to that team? Same GM and for the same position - not even a promotion. I’m not against it, but I have a hard time seeing it.
If you fire a head coach, his staff loses their jobs as collateral damage. It wasn't like we had it out for Monken.

As for the idea of taking Stetson Bennett in the midrounds, count me in.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

So we haven’t seen the real Bowles because of Arians and we haven’t seen the real Monken because of Koetter and now we can potentially see all that these men can be….

Trying to get excited about it.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Brazen331 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:25 pm

Trying to get excited about it.
Thats what she said
I said what I said

Nano

Post by Nano »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:44 pm
Deja Entendu wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:28 pm Has a coach ever been fired from a team and gone back to that team? Same GM and for the same position - not even a promotion. I’m not against it, but I have a hard time seeing it.
If you fire a head coach, his staff loses their jobs as collateral damage. It wasn't like we had it out for Monken.

Yeah, it was just a case where he wasn't retained by the new HC(Arians) who is notoriously loyal to his own guys. I doubt there are many hard feelings. Especially, if Licht is calling him and questioning if he wants to come back.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nano wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:34 am
Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:44 pm

Yeah, it was just a case where he wasn't retained by the new HC(Arians) who is notoriously loyal to his own guys. I doubt there are many hard feelings. Especially, if Licht is calling him and questioning if he wants to come back.
It's tough to separate Monken from Koetter, since Koetter was an offensive coach himself, but in that 2018 season we were:

12th in Points
1st in Passing Offense
29th in Rushing Offense
3rd in Total Offense

So...philosophically, not all that different? But with far inferior talent to what Leftwich had to work with last year.

We led the league in TO% (as in, % of drives that ended in a turnover) by a WIDE margin - 19%, nearly 2% more than any other team. BUT I think we all know who the QB was then.

All this means as much or as little as one wants it to.

Here's a good little article on Monken's approach:

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/geo ... 2YNMNQFIA/

It sounds like his offensive is predicated on taking what the defense wants to give, with flexibility in the gameplan. Sounds a lot different than this season.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 am
It's tough to separate Monken from Koetter, since Koetter was an offensive coach himself, but in that 2018 season we were:

12th in Points
1st in Passing Offense
29th in Rushing Offense
3rd in Total Offense

So...philosophically, not all that different? But with far inferior talent to what Leftwich had to work with last year.

We led the league in TO% (as in, % of drives that ended in a turnover) by a WIDE margin - 19%, nearly 2% more than any other team. BUT I think we all know who the QB was then.

It sounds like his offensive is predicated on taking what the defense wants to give, with flexibility in the gameplan. Sounds a lot different than this season.
So, we could do worse than Monken?
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 am

12th in Points
1st in Passing Offense
29th in Rushing Offense
3rd in Total Offense

I think you could make the case that the talent was worse this season on offense outside of QB. Evans was younger and more productive (had 1500 yards), we also had DeSean Jackson as the 3rd WR who is significantly better than what we had this year. Brate was actually a productive player at this time. The OL was better (god I miss Marpet) too.

Monken didn’t get to call plays consistently and had way less control of the offense under Koetter than he would under Bowles though. I do have concerns that he may not be the right guy to fix our problems. But then again, I don’t think any coach can fix our current problems and they can only be fixed through good management from Licht.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If Monken can get Matt Luke to join him I'll feel a whole lot better
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The nexus of these "Monken to Tampa" rumors is Bowles son committing to the Georgia Bulldogs football team. That's it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't think so. Monken is a hot candidate on his own right period. It's not like we're the only team calling.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:11 pm I don't think so. Monken is a hot candidate on his own right period. It's not like we're the only team calling.
That's my point. As of now we haven't called. This rumor was started by the Tampa media making that connection. Other than that, there's no communication or connection between Monken and the Bucs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That has been put out by the team.

But come on, people are people. If OBP had a Zoom with Monken, how many people do you think would know about it by the end of the day? A lot. Any of which can be a birdie for a talking head on TV somewhere.

Now, do talking heads sometimes get bad info or just flat out make stuff up for clicks? You bet. But that doesn't mean they don't get some actual kernels of truth.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:21 pm That has been put out by the team.
Link?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm finishing your statement.

"Other than that, there's no communication or connection between Monken and the Bucs...." that has been put out by the team.

But we all know that teams don't always put everything out.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

S m o k e s c r e e n