Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Tom Brady
34%
Blaine Gabbert
3%
Kyle Trask
47%
Lamar Jackson
8%
Derek Carr
3%
Jimmy G
No votes
Another vet (name below)
5%
A rookie (name below)
No votes

Total votes: 38

_MB_

Re: Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Post by _MB_ »

How are we defining success?

3500 yards and 20 touchdowns?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'd want to see a follow up to that start line, sure.

I think another behind the scenes part of this signing is Canales selling we can compete in a lean year. With $35M very gladly committed dollars being eaten this year on a ghost, it'd be a hell of a selling point to say:

"We good on QB. I like this Trask kid. Go get Drew Lock who I personally developed last year. Two 2nd round QBs, I'll deliver you a starter by week 1."
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Really seems like we are courting Geno Smith 😬
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

real bucs fan wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:28 pm Really seems like we are courting Geno Smith 😬
Yup, I think so too

https://thespun.com/.amp/more/top-stori ... nouncement
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ha! Brilliant maneuvering by Geno. I mean he's no doubt in play for us, the Seahawks, and who knows who else who could use him. Was honestly hearing Jet fans talk about it the other day. End of the day this may be his last chance at a good payday so I think that will be the biggest motive. Bucs should be use to being used as leverage in negotiations.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I would like Trash to be the QB for us in 2023. As bad as the Bucs were during the Jameis years, it was still captivating to watch Bucs play because of the hope that this may be the season and this Sunday might be the game our young QB will impress me. Signing free agent QBs like Garoppolo and Carr with a somewhat trash roster will be a repeat of when we started the season with Josh McCown as our starter. I understand these guys are way better than McCown, but let's not forget how poor coaching and supporting cast made the GOAT look like hot trash some games.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:31 pm Ha! Brilliant maneuvering by Geno. I mean he's no doubt in play for us, the Seahawks, and who knows who else who could use him. Was honestly hearing Jet fans talk about it the other day. End of the day this may be his last chance at a good payday so I think that will be the biggest motive. Bucs should be use to being used as leverage in negotiations.
Never thought I’d see the day where fans are clamoring to bring Geno Smith to Tampa as a starter. Would not be a fan of this move unless you can get him cheap. He’s still Geno Smith. One good year after 10 horrible ones doesn’t make you a top tier qb all of a sudden. But he’s worth a cheap contract and maybe he can compete with maybe Trask.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Hard to say Geno Smith had "10 horrible years" after not starting for most of them. This coming from someone who wants to "see what Trash has to offer". By that logic, Trask has had 2 horrible years.
Most hated man in America.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Al Bundy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:08 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:50 am

How can anyone know this? I didn’t like the pick at the time, but there’s no reason to write him off until he has a chance to prove himself.
He had a chance to be active on the roster with the guys that drafted him, now he will be around an offensive staff that didn't draft him and he is a very slow learner.
I agree with you on Trask, but I don't know if I agree with this. I don't really think he had a chance to be on the active roster, at all, in his first 2 years. Arians and Leftwich love Gabbert and were not going to put Trask over him on the depth chart. I don't think they ever had any interest in activating 2 QB's in any game at all, which is why Trask was always inactive. I don't agree with your second argument either. Licht, Arians, Bowles, and Leftwich were a part of the group that drafted Trask, 3 are still with the team. The only way your argument is true, would be if Leftwich was the guy who said "We NEED Kyle Trask", and despite the other 3 saying "NO", they still drafted him. I find that highly unlikely.

Your last argument I agree with. I think it's been proven that he is a slow learned. It's also been proven that when he got his chance, he was really good. That said, those scenarios were at high school and college. Meh. I think the thing that is telling about Trask not being good or even the favorite amongst the organization, is the silence. If they team really believed in Trask, there'd be no rumors at all about Carr, Jackson, (now) Fields, or anyone one else, coming here. The day that Brady retired, the team would've come out and said "Thank you Tom, yada yada yada... but now we look forward for the Kyle Trask era to begin." I don't think I've heard or read anything since Brady's retirement about the Bucs being confident in Trask. Their silence on Trask is very loud.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am Hard to say Geno Smith had "10 horrible years" after not starting for most of them. This coming from someone who wants to "see what Trash has to offer". By that logic, Trask has had 2 horrible years.
Yeah, we drafted Trask in rd 2. Of course I’d like to see what he has to offer. Who wouldn’t? If he doesn’t offer anything, we move on. But I also think he needs competition.

And once again, Bootz has reading problems so let me say it again. I never said I wouldn’t want Geno Smith to come here. I simply said I wouldn’t overpay for him. He’s not worth a lot of money, in my opinion. If he comes in cheap and performs well, then you offer him more cash. But I’m not convinced after one season he’s all of a sudden the next Tom Brady like you think he is.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am Hard to say Geno Smith had "10 horrible years" after not starting for most of them. This coming from someone who wants to "see what Trash has to offer". By that logic, Trask has had 2 horrible years.
Yeah, we drafted Trask in rd 2. Of course I’d like to see what he has to offer. Who wouldn’t? If he doesn’t offer anything, we move on. But I also think he needs competition.

And once again, Bootz has reading problems so let me say it again. I never said I wouldn’t want Geno Smith to come here. I simply said I wouldn’t overpay for him. He’s not worth a lot of money, in my opinion. If he comes in cheap and performs well, then you offer him more cash. But I’m not convinced after one season he’s all of a sudden the next Tom Brady like you think he is.
Show me where I said this or admit you lied about it. I'll wait.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Aaaaaaaaaaand here we go. :roll:
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am Aaaaaaaaaaand here we go. :roll:
Not getting into it with him (or her) today. Got enough stress at work. I stated my opinion. Shockingly she doesn’t agree with it. I’m moving on.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Not getting into it with him (or her) today. Got enough stress at work. I stated my opinion. Shockingly he or she doesn’t agree with it. I’m moving on.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Damn right here we go. He made a claim that isn't true. All he has to do is show where he got said claim from and we can proceed. He won't of course because he knows he made it up, but let's see.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

For the sake of a continued argument that does nothing to further the topic at hand, I declare Bootz the winner of this argument.

Now we can move on.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:38 am
Not getting into it with him (or her) today. Got enough stress at work. I stated my opinion. Shockingly he or she doesn’t agree with it. I’m moving on.
This is why it wont go any further @Buc2. A liar got called out and he cowardly ducked away. Let’s call a thing a thing.

We move on.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:40 am
Damn right here we go. He made a claim that isn't true. All he has to do is show where he got said claim from and we can proceed. He won't of course because he knows he made it up, but let's see.
My apologies. While you didn’t blatantly say it, you obviously insinuated it. Like buc2 said, I’ll give you this argument. I got you on the no weaknesses one, though.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

I think I’d offer the Bears the Bucs first and Evans for Fields, if they are genuinely considering trading him. I wouldn’t be willing to trade any future picks. I think that would be a small price to pay to see if Fields can be the guy and still leave flexibility to try to get a top QB next year if it doesn’t work.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Naismith wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:12 pm I think I’d offer the Bears the Bucs first and Evans for Fields, if they are genuinely considering trading him. I wouldn’t be willing to trade any future picks. I think that would be a small price to pay to see if Fields can be the guy and still leave flexibility to try to get a top QB next year if it doesn’t work.
Bucs first and Evans for Fields? The plan is to tank for this year, not for the next decade.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Jonny wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:00 pm
Naismith wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:12 pm I think I’d offer the Bears the Bucs first and Evans for Fields, if they are genuinely considering trading him. I wouldn’t be willing to trade any future picks. I think that would be a small price to pay to see if Fields can be the guy and still leave flexibility to try to get a top QB next year if it doesn’t work.
Bucs first and Evans for Fields? The plan is to tank for this year, not for the next decade.
As much as I love Mikey, we were:

2-14
6-10
9-7
5-11
5-11
7-9

With Mike before Brady showed up. A WR, even a great one, won’t keep this team from being bad if it sucks overall.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

I'd rather be addicted to crack than doing that
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Heisenberg wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:10 pm
I'd rather be addicted to crack than doing that
100000000000%. Fields is a bad qb, much less one you'd trade anything for, but a first AND this franchise's greatest offensive weapon ever? Outie must have a new customer.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

It’s a pretty small price to pay for a QB on a rookie contract. Maybe he’s Jalen Hurts and you get insane value. Maybe he’s not the answer and you try again next year. I love Evans but he will most likely never be a the top WR on a Bucs championship team again. If you can use that asset and just one first to take a shot at the most important position, you really don’t have much to lose.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:06 pm

As much as I love Mikey, we were:

2-14
6-10
9-7
5-11
5-11
7-9

With Mike before Brady showed up. A WR, even a great one, won’t keep this team from being bad if it sucks overall.
I don't mind the thought of trading Evans for a young promising QB. I have a problem with that QB being Justin Fields and also having to shell a first round pick on top of Evans. It is an all around bad deal for a QB that had high bust potential during draft process and has not done much to change that perception, even if the talent around him has been bad.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Naismith wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:34 pm

It’s a pretty small price to pay for a QB on a rookie contract. Maybe he’s Jalen Hurts and you get insane value. Maybe he’s not the answer and you try again next year. I love Evans but he will most likely never be a the top WR on a Bucs championship team again. If you can use that asset and just one first to take a shot at the most important position, you really don’t have much to lose.
We already have a QB on a rookie contract on our team.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Jonny wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:10 pm
Naismith wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:34 pm

We already have a QB on a rookie contract on our team.
Bingo. And come draft day, we may have a second.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Fields was last in the NFL in passing statistics and led the bears to the #1 draft choice. Nuff said.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You guys smoking crack if you think Bucs going to trade Evans…
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Let’s count the meaningless platitudes:

1. “He got to see Tom work.” - insert list of 100 quarterbacks who got to watch Tom Brady work and did not amount to anything.

2. “Gabbert was a great mentor.” - ditto.

3. “He has the size.” - in a league where Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, and Bryce Young are set to do very very well…what does this mean?

4. “He’s mobile.” - I find Josh Allen to be mobile. I find Justin Herbert to be mobile. Is Trask mobile?

5. “He has the arm.” - a matter of debate.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:12 pm
Navybuc wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:38 am

This is why it wont go any further @Buc2. A liar got called out and he cowardly ducked away. Let’s call a thing a thing.

We move on.
Or his opinion is simply wrong....

/discussion
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

I'm shifting my opinion, I'm all for just letting this window close. Not interested in drafting another QB, never seems to work for us. I'm all for getting depth on the lines. Let our cap hell expire, then get another vet 3-4 seasons from now. Lots of VERY compelling options at that time.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I would actually hang em up and move on from the Bucs if we made this disgustingly awful move
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

The good news for people who hate that deal is that even if the Bucs wanted to do it, the Bears would likely reject it.