Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Tom Brady
34%
Blaine Gabbert
3%
Kyle Trask
47%
Lamar Jackson
8%
Derek Carr
3%
Jimmy G
No votes
Another vet (name below)
5%
A rookie (name below)
No votes

Total votes: 38

Naismith

Re: Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Post by Naismith »

I'd love for the Bucs to draft Richardson but I don't know how to get into position for him. You'd probably have to get up to pick six and at that price, maybe just try to get to one and have your pick of all of them.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Naismith wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:44 am I'd love for the Bucs to draft Richardson but I don't know how to get into position for him. You'd probably have to get up to pick six and at that price, maybe just try to get to one and have your pick of all of them.
If he goes that high, I'm glad he is gone. Now is the time for getting high value out of our decisions.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We need him with our 4th rounder ;)
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Naismith wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:44 am I'd love for the Bucs to draft Richardson but I don't know how to get into position for him. You'd probably have to get up to pick six and at that price, maybe just try to get to one and have your pick of all of them.
Richardson is the shittiest quarterback in the draft by a wide margin. If the Bucs draft him, we will deserve what is coming.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Trask for the year and then a first rounder next year if he fails. It’s so obvious.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I almost hope it happens. For the lulz.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:22 am Trask for the year and then a first rounder next year if he fails. It’s so obvious.
I'd agree. I don't see a better way forward.

Build a solid team around Trask or as best we can manage and see what he's got. Either he's the dude and we're aces, or he isn't and we have a better-built team and the cap space to improve on that next season.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

If the best you can say about a guy is "if he's good then good, if not then we can get a real QB next year" then you already know where this is headed. Trask ain't it. It's okay to admit it.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's dumb even for you Bootz.

All that statement says is to acknowledge we DONT YET KNOW what we have in Trask. Which is also true for first round guys like Trey Lance and Jordan Love. Anyone that says otherwise is merely inserting their blind belief. Even guys with some playing time like Pickett, Ridder, and Willis are still largely unknowns. Hell, no one knew what the 49ers had in Purdy until they had it.

So stop with all your fortune teller bs.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:38 am If the best you can say about a guy is "if he's good then good, if not then we can get a real QB next year" then you already know where this is headed. Trask ain't it. It's okay to admit it.
Ultimately Trask is an unknown. But let’s not pretend like he’s some random 6th rounder. This is a guy who lit it up at Florida and possesses NFL talent. Clearly he was drafted to learn under Brady and be given an opportunity. We wouldn’t have taken him where we did otherwise.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:38 am If the best you can say about a guy is "if he's good then good, if not then we can get a real QB next year" then you already know where this is headed. Trask ain't it. It's okay to admit it.
That's literally every draft pick....ever.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The "if he was worth anything he would've been taken in the first" argument flies in the face of nfl history.

Trask was highly productive and has a ton of great NFL tools (including a high football IQ), that would make him an excellent QB. Particularly in an Arians system. But this isn't an Arians offense anymore, and we have no idea how any QB- Trask, Brady, Caleb, Carr, etc- will fit into a Canales offense.

If Trask wins the job he could just as easily be Seahawks Geno or Jets Geno.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:45 am
Ultimately Trask is an unknown. But let’s not pretend like he’s some random 6th rounder. This is a guy who lit it up at Florida and possesses NFL talent. Clearly he was drafted to learn under Brady and be given an opportunity. We wouldn’t have taken him where we did otherwise.
This is kind of my point. He should be seen as a guy who can hold down the job long term. He should be a guy who is unquestionably the starting QB going into 2023. But that's clearly not the case.

Think about this. Let's say this year we somehow had the #2 pick instead of #19 and we draft CJ Stroud or Will Levis or Bryce Young and 1 of them is named starter. You think anyone is saying "well if he pans out we've found our guy, if not we can draft a QB next year"? Absolutely not. All you'd hear about is what they bring to the table. The attributes and skills they have that make them good prospects and franchise type QBs.

You hear Absolutely NONE of that regarding Trask. All you hear is "well we'll see". That is concerning if that's the best you can say about a 2nd round pick.
Last edited by Bootz on Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:59 am

This is kind of my point. He should he seen as a guy who can hold down the job long term. He should be a guy who is unquestionably the starting QB going into 2023. But that's clearly not the case.

Think about this. Let's say this year we somehow had the #2 pick instead of #19 and we draft CJ Stroud or Will Levis or Bryce Young and 1 of them is named starter. You think anyone is saying "well if he pans out we've found our guy, if not we can draft a QB next year"? Absolutely not. All you'd hear about is what they bring to the table. The attributes and skills they have that make them good prospects and franchise type QBs.

You hear Absolutely NONE of that regarding Trask. All you hear is "well we'll see". That is concerning if that's the best you can say about a 2nd round pick.
Whatabouting about Trask's draft position is a weak move, and it's funny that you mentioned the number 2 overall pick. Zack Wilson was the number 2 pick in the draft just two years ago and no one is recommending that the Jets stick with him despite his draft position because he sucks rocks.

Trask was drafted by this GM and coaching staff to be the QBotF, and now is the time for him to become so. And the reason no one is saying that he should have a guaranteed multi-year commitment at this juncture is because he hasn't earned it at this point.

Saying "well we'll see" is really the only logical response at this juncture imo. There are only two other options. Either you say that he irredeemably sucks as a pro despite no evidence of said sucking and we need to find his replacement, or conversely that he undeservedly should expect a multi-year commitment apropos of nothing. Both of those are unfounded.

To quote Mike Tomlin, “I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.” Listen to Mike. He's pretty smart.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:21 am
Richardson is the shittiest quarterback in the draft by a wide margin. If the Bucs draft him, we will deserve what is coming.
I’ve never seen him play but I consume an unhealthy amount of draft coverage and your opinion is an outlier one to what I’ve heard and read.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Naismith wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:22 pm

I’ve never seen him play but I consume an unhealthy amount of draft coverage and your opinion is an outlier one to what I’ve heard and read.
He has a big arm and can run people over like a fullback but misses routine throws by comically large margins. When he's hitting wide open receivers in a highlight reel he looks great, but most people in the stands can throw a more accurate ball. Dude plays like Tim Tebow.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

This is kind of my point. He should be seen as a guy who can hold down the job long term. He should be a guy who is unquestionably the starting QB going into 2023. But that's clearly not the case.

I mean...Washington drafted RGIII after giving up eleventy billion draft picks, AND, in the same draft, took Kirk Cousins in the 4th round. Why would WAS have wasted the 102nd overall pick on a QB when they got a QB, "who brings a lot to the table?"
Backside

Post by Backside »

I don’t really care who the QB is next year. But would hate to trade future assets to move up in this draft for one.

If the QB was a stud it wouldn’t matter though. And would be a great trade/pick. So it’s really all about results. Super insightful, I know.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

He's projected top 10 which is confusing even to Gator fans who did watch the guy play. His draft analysis is entirely based on the fact that he's fast and has a strong arm which, as Cheb mentioned, matches up with Tebow only Richardson is worse.

My guess is the improvement of Jalen Hurts and Josh Allen is being projected onto Richardson. The problem is that Richardson is nowhere near the player either of those guys were in college.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:53 pm

He has a big arm and can run people over like a fullback but misses routine throws by comically large margins. When he's hitting wide open receivers in a highlight reel he looks great, but most people in the stands can throw a more accurate ball. Dude plays like Tim Tebow.
Agree 1000%. He’s awful. I think people see Cam Newton in him so they’re propping him up. But the guy is super inaccurate…I just don’t get what scouts are seeing here. Reminds me of the Jamarcus Russell days. I remember him being so propped up and I never got it because while he had a great arm, he missed some easy throws in college.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Trask. No need to trade up at this point. None.
We need a veteran to sit behind Trask, but that is all.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:16 pm

This is kind of my point. He should he seen as a guy who can hold down the job long term. He should be a guy who is unquestionably the starting QB going into 2023. But that's clearly not the case.

Whatabouting about Trask's draft position is a weak move, and it's funny that you mentioned the number 2 overall pick. Zack Wilson was the number 2 pick in the draft just two years ago and no one is recommending that the Jets stick with him despite his draft position because he sucks rocks.

Trask was drafted by this GM and coaching staff to be the QBotF, and now is the time for him to become so. And the reason no one is saying that he should have a guaranteed multi-year commitment at this juncture is because he hasn't earned it at this point.

Saying "well we'll see" is really the only logical response at this juncture imo. There are only two other options. Either you say that he irredeemably sucks as a pro despite no evidence of said sucking and we need to find his replacement, or conversely that he undeservedly should expect a multi-year commitment apropos of nothing. Both of those are unfounded.

To quote Mike Tomlin, “I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.” Listen to Mike. He's pretty smart.
And yet no one still can say with confidence what Trask brings to the table...
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:15 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:16 pm

And yet no one still can say with confidence what Trask brings to the table...
If only someone had made an entire thread breaking down what regular season NFL snaps Kyle Trask has gotten, then we'd be onto something.

Oh wait, I did. Here's the link for those who haven't seen it --> viewtopic.php?p=116859#p116859

Dude has size, a strong enough arm, makes smart reads and decisions, and throws a largely accurate ball. That's enough to make me want to see more than the paltry amount of snaps he has thus far gotten.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It seems like a lot of the negativity around Trask is due to his inability to "win" the backup job to Tom Brady when honestly there may never have even been a competition for it. That and the fact many of us wanted that pick used on something that could help the team win now.

Those are both sunk cost fallacies at this point.

Trask is the only reasonable answer to the "Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023" question.
Snake

Post by Snake »

“Strong enough arm” and below average mobility in the modern game is a big ask if you don’t provide exemplary QB skills like anticipation, accuracy, leadership, and others.

I just can’t cross that bridge based on what I’ve seen (college). Hoping to be wrong. I really am. Him being a top 12 QB would be a welcome surprise.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Geno Smith
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Where does Trask stack up against this class of rookies?

Top five?

Top ten?
Kona

Post by Kona »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:25 pm Where does Trask stack up against this class of rookies?

Top five?

Top ten?
If he were the same prospect he was coming out, he’d be comfortably at 5 behind Young, Stroud, Levis and Richardson. I only say Richardson due to the immense athletic upside. Trask was the better QB between the two at UF IMO.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:56 pm

I mean...Washington drafted RGIII after giving up eleventy billion draft picks, AND, in the same draft, took Kirk Cousins in the 4th round. Why would WAS have wasted the 102nd overall pick on a QB when they got a QB, "who brings a lot to the table?"
Excellent point. Hedging your bet at the most important position is a smart play.

However draft groupies binge on the unrealistic efficiency of hindsight. Every pick must be a knock out contributor to getting us to our peak.

That Cousins pick, though brilliant, is the most disgusting draft sin one can commit to them.

Trask instead of the mystery player who would have out contributed our first rounder and won us the NFCCG? Sin.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:25 pm Where does Trask stack up against this class of rookies?

Top five?

Top ten?
I would probably rank him 6th, ahead of Richardson, but behind Young, Stroud, Levis, Hooker, and McKee.

I hate Richardson as a prospect. Even the good "reviews" from scouting sites say he doesn't read the field well, has horrible mechanics, and is widely inaccurate.

Trask had/has poor mechanics too, which is why he doesn't have much velocity on his throws, but they are better than Richardson's.

Richardson certainly has a higher ceiling than Trask did/does because of his athleticism, but a lower floor as well.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So Bootz is advocating for QBs to be handed jobs on silver platters with no competition as a sign of faith? Um no.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:46 pm So Bootz is advocating for QBs to be handed jobs on silver platters with no competition as a sign of faith? Um no.
Who did Jalen Hurts compete with to win his starting job again? Patrick Mahomes? Joe Burrow? What about Lamar Jackson, who'd he compete with? Aaron Rodgers? Josh Allen? Justin Herbert? Kirk Cousins? Jared Goff? Dak Prescott? Matt Stafford? I'm curious
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:36 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:46 pm So Bootz is advocating for QBs to be handed jobs on silver platters with no competition as a sign of faith? Um no.
Who did Jalen Hurts compete with to win his starting job again? I'm curious
Carson Wentz and Nate Sudfeld
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:36 pm
Who did Jalen Hurts compete with to win his starting job again? Patrick Mahomes? Joe Burrow? What about Lamar Jackson, who'd he compete with? Aaron Rodgers? Josh Allen? Justin Herbert? Kirk Cousins? Jared Goff? Dak Prescott? Matt Stafford? I'm curious
This is dumb.

Burrow, Goff, and Stafford were #1 overall picks. The #1 overall pick gets handed the starting job whether he's ready or not. There's been 1 QB in the last 20 years who wasn't, and that was JaMarcus Russell, who I think held out until late August and still ended up the starter in late September. The more significant the investment in a player, the more opportunities he'll be given. Pretty much an iron law in investment.

Hurts had to compete with Carson Wentz, two years removed from an MVP caliber season.

Mahomes redshirted. Jackson, Herbert and Prescott only had to beat out third stringers when the starters got injured and they were called upon in relief. Since none of them were starters until injury or free agent defection (in Mahomes's case), I guess they all lost their competitions with the starters.

Cousins had to beat out RGIII, and didn't do so until his 4th season. Rodgers had to beat out Favre, and never really did. He inherited the job when Favre left as a free agent in Rodger's 4th season.

You want to name some more guys or can we move on?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not to mention, what about the back up QB? Or we gonna act like Foles doesn't have a ring.

This is just such a dumb hill to die on.