Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Tom Brady
34%
Blaine Gabbert
3%
Kyle Trask
47%
Lamar Jackson
8%
Derek Carr
3%
Jimmy G
No votes
Another vet (name below)
5%
A rookie (name below)
No votes

Total votes: 38

_MB_

Re: Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Post by _MB_ »

Anybody have a good link to the franchise records Brady set while he was here?

I think if I could have a look at those and who came in second I'd have better expectations for the next guy.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:02 pm
Digital_Damage wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:04 am Trask is garbage... that is just the way it is. You all just need to accept that. You have some sort of deep issue wanting to force a Florida product into the spotlight. No one else wanted him why the fuck should we?

We should be discussing legitimate options based on the two scenarios we have Infront of us.

1) Rebuild
2) Struggle to win the division the next two season.

Brady is not coming back, that message is already making the rounds with the players.

If we are going #1 just do it already... Dump all the vets with that dead money so we can get through it. Let Trash drive us into the ground with a bunch of 2nd tier pieces.
If we are going #2, I only see Carr as a serious option, but I would like to see Minshew.
a. Trask starts in 2023
1. Trask is good, we may have found it
2. Trask is bad, we’re picking early in 2024 (QB)

b. Carr/Minshew starts in 2023
1. We go somewhere 7-10 to 9-8 maybe make playoffs. Enough to keep our QB situation the same for the next few seasons. Sometimes make playoffs, never win a SB.
2. We go 6-11, just high enough to miss those top draft prospects in 2024. QB situation remains unsolved

Answer for the upcoming season sounds easy to me

Like it’s braindead easy

You won’t win anything with Carr but you will miss out on draft picks
Makes sense to me as well... but when you have a GM and HC on life support shit goes retarded.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Digital_Damage wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:04 am Trask is garbage... that is just the way it is. You all just need to accept that. You have some sort of deep issue wanting to force a Florida product into the spotlight. No one else wanted him why the fuck should we?

We should be discussing legitimate options based on the two scenarios we have Infront of us.

1) Rebuild
2) Struggle to win the division the next two season.

Brady is not coming back, that message is already making the rounds with the players.

If we are going #1 just do it already... Dump all the vets with that dead money so we can get through it. Let Trash drive us into the ground with a bunch of 2nd tier pieces.
If we are going #2, I only see Carr as a serious option, but I would like to see Minshew.
Posts like this are exactly why I did that big breakdown of Trask's game. "Trask is garbage," "no one else wanted him why the fuck should we," and calling him Trash... all of these statements have no basis in reality.

Dude was a second round pick who was drafted specifically to succeed Tom Brady, and his only NFL snaps looked pretty good. But that won't stop the doomsinging apparently.

Read my post in this thread: http://www.itsabucslife.com/viewtopic.php?t=1186

Maybe it'll help.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Never in my life have I seen so many supposed Bucs fans want a player to fail. They make up unfounded comments about Trask to support their unsupported views.
I don't know whether Trask will be good or not in the NFL, but no one knows that until he gets some playing time under his belt.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Taller post-surgery Chad Pennington.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:19 pm Never in my life have I seen so many supposed Bucs fans want a player to fail. They make up unfounded comments about Trask to support their unsupported views.
I don't know whether Trask will be good or not in the NFL, but no one knows that until he gets some playing time under his belt.
I doubt anyone inherently wants Trask to fail. It's just not everyday a QB starts 25+ games at an SEC school, is a Heisman finalist, drafted in the 2nd round and is stuck at 3rd on the depth chart behind a bad journeyman QB for 2 years.

I get the need for Trask to be the guy. Between the people who have convinced themselves that Blaine Gabbert was THAT good that he could hold off Trask, to Cheb breaking down at length that even though his snaps were less than productive they were good snaps, to people trying to convince themselves that an almost 25 year old QB with a limited ceiling needs more time, sometimes the most obvious answer is the answer. It's Josh Johnson, Mike Glennon all over again. No matter how much we try to will it into existence, he ain't it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Imagine wanting Kyle Trask over Lamar Jackson at QB. Wow.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:20 pm Taller post-surgery Chad Pennington.
ohh shit... hit the nail on the head.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Digital_Damage wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:03 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:11 am

I know right? I mean it isn’t like a decent QB has ever been picked in the 6th round.

Oh. Wait.
That is the extreme outlier and should not be used as justification. At this point it is a cliche. One instance... Since 1965, and THAT is the reason you are giving?

Trask was the typical Gboyz "get the NCAA Florida fan base in the stands move".
You think this team has had a nard time filling the stands with Brady as qb, and that’s why the owners drafted a UF qb?
Jesus tittyfucking Christ that’s a terrible take!
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

The article on PFT this morning is interesting if true. The players on the Bucs think he’s gone. I was thinking he was gonna come back but after reading that article, I’m not so sure.

The problem with TB staying here is to get this team back to 2020 level, they need to bring in a stud LT and LG, pay Gronk and lure him out of retirement, and get another dynamic WR. Nothing against Evans or Godwin, but this team needs speed. I hate AB, but his speed and playmaking ability was a huge factor in 2020.

If Brady doesn’t come back, I’m all for blowing this thing partially apart. The cap hit we will take on Brady will prevent us from reloading. I would see trading one of our WRs, dump D.Smith, let David walk and draft qb with #1 pick. It’s going to be painful for a few years, we will prolly fire Bowles after next season, but if we draft well, hopefully we can copy what the Jags did and rebuild the right way.

Ideally, my #1 hope is we do bring Brady back with Gronk and fix the left side of that line…but it’s wishful thinking.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I mean, he literally retired last off season. I'll believe Brady isn't coming back when he either signs with another team or retires and the season starts without him coming back.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:42 pm Imagine wanting Kyle Trask over Lamar Jackson at QB. Wow.
Ceteris paribus, sure, you want Lamar. But, that's not the way things work. Trask's cap hit in 2023 is $1.5M. In 2024 it's $1.7M.

Lamar wants $200M guaranteed and will require assets if he goes elsewhere. The Ravens just ended their season with the same result as us.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:10 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:42 pm Imagine wanting Kyle Trask over Lamar Jackson at QB. Wow.
Ceteris paribus, sure, you want Lamar. But, that's not the way things work. Trask's cap hit in 2023 is $1.5M. In 2024 it's $1.7M.

Lamar wants $200M guaranteed and will require assets if he goes elsewhere. The Ravens just ended their season with the same result as us.
Again, imagine wanting Kyle Trask over Lamar Jackson.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Digital_Damage wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:03 pm Trask is garbage... that is just the way it is. You all just need to accept that. You have some sort of deep issue wanting to force a Florida product into the spotlight. No one else wanted him why the fuck should we?

I know right? I mean it isn’t like a decent QB has ever been picked in the 6th round.

Oh. Wait.

That is the extreme outlier and should not be used as justification. At this point it is a cliche. One instance... Since 1965, and THAT is the reason you are giving?

It is a fact none the less. Kurt Warner would be another example. You saying “No one else wants him why should we” is about as lame of a defense as I have every heard for the value of a player. The league is full of examples of players the league fought over and those players sucked wherever they went-

As well, reading @Cheb thread of Trask’s breakdown, I am more interested in ever in seeing what he can do given the opportunity. I REALLY don’t want one more tired old vet looking for glory. I am ready for us to create our own.
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said what I said

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:20 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:10 pm

Ceteris paribus is Latin for "all other things being equal." And we are $54 million in the hole. As @Grahamburn said, Lamar in a vacuum would be the preference. I am an unrepentant Lamar Jackson fan, but I doubt we could afford him. Trask is the wiser option given our somewhat limited resources, imo.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:33 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:20 pm

Ceteris paribus is Latin for "all other things being equal." And we are $54 million in the hole. As @Grahamburn said, Lamar in a vacuum would be the preference. I am an unrepentant Lamar Jackson fan, but I doubt we could afford him. Trask is the wiser option given our somewhat limited resources, imo.
Odd to say, but we'd probably win more games in 2023 with Trask when you consider who would have to be released/traded to add Lamar to the roster. Not to mention the picks that would have to be given up as the Ravens are certain to tag him.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Bowles and Leftwich really fumbled the bag…
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

When the best argument you have is "He could be the next exception to the general rule" that's almost as damning as admitting up front that he isn't the answer.

Instead of having confidence that going forward THIS is or could be our guy, you're hoping that he's that 1 in a million dark horse that nobody saw coming.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

We're not getting Lamar Jackson.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:51 pm
We're not getting Lamar Jackson.
We may not even be able to afford Tim Tebow.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:30 pm
Digital_Damage wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:03 pm Trask is garbage... that is just the way it is. You all just need to accept that. You have some sort of deep issue wanting to force a Florida product into the spotlight. No one else wanted him why the fuck should we?

Oh. Wait.

It is a fact none the less. Kurt Warner would be another example. You saying “No one else wants him why should we” is about as lame of a defense as I have every heard for the value of a player. The league is full of examples of players the league fought over and those players sucked wherever they went-

As well, reading @Cheb thread of Trask’s breakdown, I am more interested in ever in seeing what he can do given the opportunity. I REALLY don’t want one more tired old vet looking for glory. I am ready for us to create our own.
Now you are ready? Everyone wants that generational talent from the start... That it is not something you should aim for. It happens or it does not. It's a fool's errand.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:47 pm When the best argument you have is "He could be the next exception to the general rule" that's almost as damning as admitting up front that he isn't the answer.

Instead of having confidence that going forward THIS is or could be our guy, you're hoping that he's that 1 in a million dark horse that nobody saw coming.
Trask isn't a one in a million dark horse. He's a second round pick, drafted by this same coaching staff, who led the country in TD passes as a senior and was a Heisman candidate. It's not his fault that he sat behind the GOAT, or that we for whatever reason chose to keep Blaine Gabbert as the number 2 guy.

Trask's time to shine is now. And perhaps more importantly, he is only going to cost us less than $2 million dollars against the cap, which is about 4-6% of what Lamar Jackson would cost.

You like the 49ers. Why can't Trask be the next Purdy?

Even more to the point, wouldn't it be very 49ers-like to spend your resources on building a top-level team AROUND your quarterback, like they've done with Purdy, so that your quarterback doesn't have to be a savior? If we swing for the fences and sign a dude like Lamar, we cripple our chances of keeping a good team around him. It wouldn't be impossible, but we would have to jettison alot of talent, because we owe Brady $35 million and would have to pay Jackson what, another $50 million per year? So our $54 million dollar hole just gets $50 million dollars deeper, so now we'd be north of $100 million over the cap. Which means that not only do we say goodbye to the idea of any outside free agent worthy of a starting gig, but say goodbye to resigning any of our own free agents who are going to walk next season, and also say goodbye to core players on bigger contracts.

I like Lamar a lot, but signing him would be monumentally stupid. He would be playing with a bevvy of rookies and street free agents, and we would have put every one of our eggs in his basket.

Do you see how foolish that would be?
Snake

Post by Snake »

The white Andre Woodson. Except Trask was drafted in the second round.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Next years QB draft is tremendous. Best thing is probably letting Trask/Gabbert compete and tanking our way into a top pick. Probably would lead to a coaching staff overhaul which would be to our benefit as well.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:47 pm When the best argument you have is "He could be the next exception to the general rule" that's almost as damning as admitting up front that he isn't the answer.

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:39 pm Trask isn't a one in a million dark horse. He's a second round pick, drafted by this same coaching staff, who led the country in TD passes as a senior and was a Heisman candidate. It's not his fault that he sat behind the GOAT, or that we for whatever reason chose to keep Blaine Gabbert as the number 2 guy.

Trask's time to shine is now. And perhaps more importantly, he is only going to cost us less than $2 million dollars against the cap, which is about 4-6% of what Lamar Jackson would cost.

You like the 49ers. Why can't Trask be the next Purdy?

Even more to the point, wouldn't it be very 49ers-like to spend your resources on building a top-level team AROUND your quarterback, like they've done with Purdy, so that your quarterback doesn't have to be a savior? If we swing for the fences and sign a dude like Lamar, we cripple our chances of keeping a good team around him. It wouldn't be impossible, but we would have to jettison alot of talent, because we owe Brady $35 million and would have to pay Jackson what, another $50 million per year? So our $54 million dollar hole just gets $50 million dollars deeper, so now we'd be north of $100 million over the cap. Which means that not only do we say goodbye to the idea of any outside free agent worthy of a starting gig, but say goodbye to resigning any of our own free agents who are going to walk next season, and also say goodbye to core players on bigger contracts.

I like Lamar a lot, but signing him would be monumentally stupid. He would be playing with a bevvy of rookies and street free agents, and we would have put every one of our eggs in his basket.

Do you see how foolish that would be?
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:05 am
Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:43 am Yes, because we reasonably assumed he was near the end. Which he was. He retired.

I'm not about to declare how a Trask season would have gone, but I know for a fact most of us would have been hyped/on board with a 2 year groomed QB taking over compared to..... whatever?

Which is exactly what happened. Until Brady 180'd.
I guess you can maybe try to argue that "a good GM would've known even more than his wife that Brady would return"... but I won't.
Trask was drafted after the 2020 Super Bowl winning season. He was drafted during the “run it back” offseason. Brady was under contract for another year and there was no indication he was retiring.

We clearly needed a win now player with that pick.

I’m hopeful Trask becomes the starter and excels because I’m a fan of this team. That’s the best case scenario.

Worst case scenario is he never becomes more than a backup and we’re left wondering if the 64th pick in the 2021 draft could have helped us beat the Rams or Cowboys during our playoff runs in Tom Brady’s last two years here.

Because that’s the reality of that pick.
Yes, brady was under contract for one more year.
One.

So we drafted Trask. To groom for a year. Which we did.
Reasonably expected Tom to retire. Which he did.
Trask was primed for a TC battle with a journeyman to take over.

It was literally 100% the kind of set up that you want. The very one fans would've thrown a shit for not having in place. But Brady messed all that up. Now we'll never get to see Trask in the Arians offense he looks built for, but oh well that's football.

But of course draft groupies, gluttons of hindsight, will of course stew over what "could've been" and how the perfect rookie pick could've saved our repeat, despite the fact that our first round pick barely did much.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:37 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:19 pm Never in my life have I seen so many supposed Bucs fans want a player to fail. They make up unfounded comments about Trask to support their unsupported views.
I doubt anyone inherently wants Trask to fail. It's just not everyday a QB starts 25+ games at an SEC school, is a Heisman finalist, drafted in the 2nd round and is stuck at 3rd on the depth chart behind a bad journeyman QB for 2 years.
I don’t know why it needs to be absolutely shouted from the rooftops. And it’s annoying as fuck because I don’t want to come off as a Trask supporter because I’m genuinely neutral on the guy.

But my GOD. Completely writing off an unproven player because of his position on a depth chart. ????? Like what????

None of us have a CLUE as to how the QB depth chart is put together. I personally think it makes sense to have a journeyman spell Brady in this offense versus a rookie, as do others on here. Some of You people don’t seem to agree.

But that makes my point entirely.

Your attack on Trask and his future is how he landed on the depth chart. I provide you evidence that your attack may be flawed due to flawed assumptions on how our depth chart is put together.

At minimum, that should open your mind to the idea that maybe, just MAYBE, the Bucs coaching staff has Trask at 3 for a reason other than his potential and that you shouldn’t write him off.

All I’m saying is at least CONSIDER that maybe you’re wrong about the depth chart and that Trask isn’t as bad as you argue the depth chart says he is

Critique game film, like Cheb did. Not the depth chart that none of us know anything about
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Based on draft position and college performance Kyle Trask is far and away a better QB than Brock Purdy. However, as with every player, college performance is not predictive of how that player will do in the NFL. The Buccaneers need a quality offensive staff to give Trask a real shot at becoming the best version of NFL QB that he can be. I see no reason to write him off yet, nor any reason to anoint him the next coming great QB.
Snake

Post by Snake »

There’s your performance/stats in college, and there’s the traits you demonstrated in college.

Big difference.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Sdbucs wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:19 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:37 pm

I don’t know why it needs to be absolutely shouted from the rooftops. And it’s annoying as fuck because I don’t want to come off as a Trask supporter because I’m genuinely neutral on the guy.

But my GOD. Completely writing off an unproven player because of his position on a depth chart. ????? Like what????

None of us have a CLUE as to how the QB depth chart is put together. I personally think it makes sense to have a journeyman spell Brady in this offense versus a rookie, as do others on here. Some of You people don’t seem to agree.

But that makes my point entirely.

Your attack on Trask and his future is how he landed on the depth chart. I provide you evidence that your attack may be flawed due to flawed assumptions on how our depth chart is put together.

At minimum, that should open your mind to the idea that maybe, just MAYBE, the Bucs coaching staff has Trask at 3 for a reason other than his potential and that you shouldn’t write him off.

All I’m saying is at least CONSIDER that maybe you’re wrong about the depth chart and that Trask isn’t as bad as you argue the depth chart says he is

Critique game film, like Cheb did. Not the depth chart that none of us know anything about
I have no idea why there's such a dig-in against Trask by some here.

He's here. He requires no compensation to bring in. He's under team control the next two years for pennies. He was talented enough to be a Heisman finalist. He has plus measurables and NFL caliber arm talent all day long.

The worst thing that can happen by giving Trask the ball is he sucks, and this becomes the shitty rebuilding year when Kyle Trask was our quarterback. Us old salty dogs have sat through shit like the Simms year and the Gradkowski year and TWO fucking years of Craig Erickson and seemingly 15 years of Steve DeBerg. We'll live. In the meantime, the cap room we save NOT bringing in a C- veteran could be the difference between resigning Jamel Dean and/or LVD. And at the end of the horrible year will be a damn good pick in what looks like a talented QB class.

Or, how about this? You know how NONE of our young offensive players have developed over the last few years? Maybe new coaches can actually work with Trask and help him improve. Hell, maybe like every other player in NFL history, getting some practice reps will benefit him. Who knows?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

@MJW I think a new offensive regime is what is needed. The salty old dog in me just expects and fears that Bowles is incapable of bringing in a quality OC. That is one of the reasons I wanted Bowles flushed as well. I want this team to be innovative on offense. Train players up and help them grow.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Brian Johnson coaching Trask here just makes too much sense.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Being under a defensive HC so no "HC was the real brains" talk should be a bonus too.

Maybe Trask doesn't make it past TC. Maybe he wins the job. Maybe the new OC loves Baker and we hand it to him. Maybe SF doesn't want Brady and he returns.

So much needs to play out first. Starting with who the OC is going to be.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:10 pm Being under a defensive HC so no "HC was the real brains" talk should be a bonus too.

Maybe Trask doesn't make it past TC. Maybe he wins the job. Maybe the new OC loves Baker and we hand it to him. Maybe SF doesn't want Brady and he returns.

So much needs to play out first. Starting with who the OC is going to be.
What you want for oc is going to decide who you want for quarterback.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Does anyone think the Bears would trade Fields to us for our 1st rounder and if so would you do it?