Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Tom Brady
34%
Blaine Gabbert
3%
Kyle Trask
47%
Lamar Jackson
8%
Derek Carr
3%
Jimmy G
No votes
Another vet (name below)
5%
A rookie (name below)
No votes

Total votes: 38

acmillis

Re: Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Post by acmillis »

Redrum wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:01 pm Does anyone think the Bears would trade Fields to us for our 1st rounder and if so would you do it?
HELL NO to wanting him.
As an OP said in another thread, he’s booty juice!
There is literally not one qb I want less to trade a first for than Fields!
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:26 pm
Redrum wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:01 pm Does anyone think the Bears would trade Fields to us for our 1st rounder and if so would you do it?
HELL NO to wanting him.
Less than Mayfield, Darnold, Tannehill, Murray, Goff, Zach, and Danny Dimes?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:34 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:26 pm

HELL NO to wanting him.
Less than Mayfield, Darnold, Tannehill, Murray, Goff, Zach, and Danny Dimes?
Yes. Fields is hot garbage. How many of those other dudes led their team to the first overall pick?
nybf

Post by nybf »

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Field is debatably the best player on their team, and they have $92 million in cap space to build a team around him for 2023. I doubt they trade him, certainly not for a single mid-1st rounder.

And even if he were available, I wouldn't trade a first for him. As talented as he is as a runner, I don't think he's shown enough as a passer to justify that asking price. Moreover, I would rather add a good piece to our defense given that we are going to lose a ton of talent there this offseason, or a top-tier offensive lineman. Trading for a third year QB who has been just okay isn't a great investment imo.
MJW

Post by MJW »

1) Fuck No.
2) Fuck Yes. Especially if we could plan ahead with our OC hire.

The Bears had the worst roster in the NFL this season, AND they were trying to make radical changes on both sides of the ball, with very limited cap room. Justin Fields was the least of their problems, and he's shown the physical ability to be a bigger, more athletic Jalen Hurts.

I'd offer 'em #19 and Devin White right now.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Bears have a QB with a ton of upside, 3 cheap years left on his deal and to this point about 1.5 seasons worth of experience. Plus, they used 2 1st round picks to get him. Fields isn't going anywhere. They have ammo to help build up that bad roster around him. They've already started by acquiring Claypool(even though it basically cost them a 1st*). Now they can work on that defense and Oline.

That said, if for some reason they wanted to look elsewhere for a QB, yes I'd throw them #19. Again, 3 cheap years, a ton of upside, and experience. 3 years is plenty of time to figure out whether he's the guy or not, with a good chance being that he is.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

The only reason I thought the question was worth asking is because they have the first pick and might fall in love with one of the QBs.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Redrum wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am The only reason I thought the question was worth asking is because they have the first pick and might fall in love with one of the QBs.
Which would make them severely undervalue the qb they already have?
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:11 am
Redrum wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am The only reason I thought the question was worth asking is because they have the first pick and might fall in love with one of the QBs.
Which would make them severely undervalue the qb they already have?
Potentially. I think Fields is a good QB on a roster bereft of talent. I don't know what the Bears think about him. He has thrown about as many Ints as Tds over his short career. They might think a QB coming out this year is going to be a superstar while Fields will only ever be above average at best. It also might be appealing to start over on a QB with a fresh rookie contract. It's unlikely but far from unheard of.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Just read an article where a talking head stated that Trey Lance would be available for a 3rd round draft pick. I am sure a lot of posters on this forum would think it would be great if the Bucs could make a straight up trade for swapping Lance for Trask. I have in the past read where Jordan Love wants out of GB. Trask for Love?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

It was a good question IMO. The Bears will have a lot of decisions to make. But ultimately I don't see them believing any QB in this draft would give them a better of winning than Fields would along with other roster improvements. That 1st overall pick is very valuable to them.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

GreatTimes wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 am Just read an article where a talking head stated that Trey Lance would be available for a 3rd round draft pick. I am sure a lot of posters on this forum would think it would be great if the Bucs could make a straight up trade for swapping Lance for Trask. I have in the past read where Jordan Love wants out of GB. Trask for Love?
I'm a Trask apologist (or at least a "give the kid a shot before executing him" person, but even I know nobody is trading anything worth of value for Trask.

Also, we would have to decide whether or not to pick up his 5th year option right now, without him ever really playing, and that 5th year option is completely guaranteed, so no, I do not want an unproven QB who would be more expensive than the unproven qb we already have...who is cheaper.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:44 am
GreatTimes wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 am Just read an article where a talking head stated that Trey Lance would be available for a 3rd round draft pick. I am sure a lot of posters on this forum would think it would be great if the Bucs could make a straight up trade for swapping Lance for Trask. I have in the past read where Jordan Love wants out of GB. Trask for Love?
I'm a Trask apologist (or at least a "give the kid a shot before executing him" person, but even I know nobody is trading anything worth of value for Trask.

Also, we would have to decide whether or not to pick up his 5th year option right now, without him ever really playing, and that 5th year option is completely guaranteed, so no, I do not want an unproven QB who would be more expensive than the unproven qb we already have...who is cheaper.

No 5th year option for Trask. 2nd Rd. pick.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Four Verticals wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:45 pm
acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:44 am

No 5th year option for Trask. 2nd Rd. pick.
I was talking about Jordan Love. The OP mentioned trading Trask for Love.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's like trading two unopened mystery boxes.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:40 pm That's like trading two unopened mystery boxes.
Absolutely, and with @ 2.3 in 2023, and fifth year option cost of about 20M (totaling 22.3M) vs. having Trask for two years at a total cost of 2.5M over the next two years, the decision is easy to not trade Trask for Love.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Legendary Bucs linebacker Lavonte David, a pending free agent, put on his general manager hat today in Phoenix.

David hopped on WDAE radio and was asked to play GM and roll out what he thinks the Bucs should do at quarterback.

David had a clear vision.

“Obviously you want to get a top-of-market guy like Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr, but in the situation that we’re in, being a GM and being realistic, you have to go with Kyle Trask,” David said. “You have to put all your all your faith in Kyle Trask. You drafted him in the second round. You got the pieces; you gotta put the pieces around him before he can succeed. And you got to get the right offensive coach in who can be able to develop him to be the playmaker that we all know he can be.

“I love what I see [of Trask]. He’s a prototypical guy. You know, he’s able to move. He’s got a nice ball. Getting a chance to compete against him, obviously when he was on the scout team he made a lot of good throws against [the Bucs defense] and stuff like that. So I definitely feel like he could be a guy who could, you know, come in and help turn us into a winning football team.”

Well, there you go. The Trask flag is waving tonight.

Joe’s not surprised David went there. He may be the best second-round pick in Bucs history, so David surely knows guys can outplay their draft position if they have the drive and are put in a good position to succeed.

Trask, of course, remains a mystery to nearly everyone in the NFL after two seasons of riding the bench and getting little first-team work in preseason.

Source: https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/02/lavo ... yle-trask/
Snake

Post by Snake »

LVD is such a pro.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

If LVDs sentiment is echoed in OBP then it wouldn't surprise me if we're waiting for the super bowl to make a strong push for Brian Johnson.

He's called plays before, he worked with Trask, he clearly helped with Hurts, and there are no optics issues.

Edit: I should also mention Brian Johnson has been my first pick for awhile now and that had nothing to do with his past relationship with Trask. That's just an extra on top, nothing more.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:25 am If LVDs sentiment is echoed in OBP then it wouldn't surprise me if we're waiting for the super bowl to make a strong push for Brian Johnson.

He's called plays before, he worked with Trask, he clearly helped with Hurts, and there are no optics issues.
I would love Brian Johnson, but I have no idea why he'd come here. Look at these two options:

One - Stay where he is
- Wait for Steichen to get a HC job, at which point he becomes OC and is next in line.
- Continue getting credit for Jalen Hurts.
- Continue coaching an offensive with the league's most aggressive playcaller.
- Continue working with one of the best offensive units in the league.
- Continue competing for Lombardis while he waits.
- Not uproot his life, etc.
- Face virtually no chance of his HC getting fired.

Two - Come To Tampa
- Huge risk of getting tossed out at the end of the year when Toilet Bowles is fired.
- Go from Jalen Hurts, 2nd Place MVP Finisher, to Mystery Quarterback.
- Scheme an attack behind an awful line.
- Call plays for one of the least aggressive coaches in the league.
- Get blamed by batshit fans who think our offensive is still super talented even though it's not.
- Get to deal with Bruce Arians offering "suggestions" for how he should coach the offense.

Like...why would you do that? He's on the gravy train. He's going to keep moving up cars. In a year, two at most, he'll get to pick his job. He comes here, and he gets the Todd Bowles stink on him and gets fired.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:34 am
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:25 am If LVDs sentiment is echoed in OBP then it wouldn't surprise me if we're waiting for the super bowl to make a strong push for Brian Johnson.

I would love Brian Johnson, but I have no idea why he'd come here. Look at these two options:

One - Stay where he is
- Wait for Steichen to get a HC job, at which point he becomes OC and is next in line.

Two - Come To Tampa
- Huge risk of getting tossed out at the end of the year when Toilet Bowles is fired.
- Get blamed by batshit fans who think our offensive is still super talented even though it's not.
- Get to deal with Bruce Arians offering "suggestions" for how he should coach the offense.

Like...why would you do that? He's on the gravy train. He's going to keep moving up cars. In a year, two at most, he'll get to pick his job. He comes here, and he gets the Todd Bowles stink on him and gets fired.
You're not wrong. Which then begs the question: Why would anyone come to Tampa as the OC?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Obvious answer as to why Johnson would come here is the money and a promotion to an offensive coordinator position. If he stays with Philadelphia he doesn't get those things.

The Glazers have shown multiple times they'll keep/promote coaches even if others are fired. I don't think it's safe to assume they'd fire Johnson if Bowles was let go after another unsuccessful season. There's as much chance he ends up being promoted if his offense looks good.

Johnson having familiarity with Trask is as much a benefit for him as it is for Kyle.

Are we so sure our line is "awful?" The scheme was awful and the QB couldn't move. Jensen is back. Another year for Hainsey and Goedeke. Licht's previous small school guys made big leaps in year 2.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The bigger question is will Tom Moore get Bruce's golf cart?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

One - Stay where he is

Two - Come To Tampa

I get what you're saying, but, come on, man. Someone is going to take the job. Be it Johnson or not. But your arguments of why they wouldn't come here, while they have some merit, the arguments leave out the biggest reason why they WOULD come here. Like the players, these coaches have egos, too. What better place to prove your acumen as an OC than with a team that just failed miserably? You don't even have to make the playoffs. You just have to produce a marked improvement. If you do that, the team itself will improve overall. Hell, you just might make the playoffs, earning your boss another year and, thus, earning yourself another year and improving your stock for the next step on the coaching tree.

tl:dr - Ego is why Johnson would take this job if offered.
Don't tread on me
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

If we do roll with yeah Trask, then I hope we go all out in getting weapons and Oline help for him just so at the end of the 2023 season we can all confidently say that there was zero exercise for him not to succeed.

We need to know one way or the other after this season so we can move on or continue to build around him.

The worst case scenario is us playing Trask but then having to interpret his struggles and wonder what he could do with better weapons or protection. That's how you end up in QB purgatory.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm just going to say this... people assuming a lot that Hurts is going to stay an Eagle. The NFL landscape can change on a dime.

As for Brian Johnson, more simple than that.... money. Would you not go elsewhere for an extra 50%? 300%? Salaries vary wildly for coaches.
The average coordinator's salary is like $1M. That is AVERAGE. Now think that some guys like Bowles ($3M) and McDaniels ($4M) were skewing it up, there are plenty of others having to pull it down.

How much do you think they are going to offer BJ to take over as OC? Roseman called the Ealges a "QB factory" before this staff, including BJ, was even there. It's not hard to see an outside team simply valuing him more and thus paying him more.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

One - Stay where he is

Two - Come To Tampa

You are assuming that Bowles WILL be fired. It could well end up that Trask is pretty good (Derek Carr good), and Johnson is the missing piece. Our defense wasn't "top-tier" last season, but there were a lot of teams that were worse.

If we get Johnson as OC, we might just go 10-7 next year. Do you think Bowles gets fired after that?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I can hear Caleb acolytes screaming
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:55 pm I can hear Caleb acolytes screaming
There’s no way we only win 2-3 games unless they gut this roster.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Imagine being okay with an average starting QB in the modern NFL…
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

I would start Trask and/or a rookie the team drafts. I don’t think they can win a Super Bowl with any available QB and this roster.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Our offense really needs another weapon if we do go with Trask.

2 good WRs, an above average RB, and an average TE is not threatening unless the QB is playing at such a high level that they’re considered a weapon.

We need another X factor combined with some good play calling if we want to be effective on offense.

Hypothetically: we draft that Texas RB or a WR in the first to add another real threat to our offense, sign a competent OC, and Trask just plays average/above average. That’s an offense that can win games. Even if Trask stinks, his replacement will have weapons around him.

To tie my point back to this thread - no matter our QB, we need another weapon on offense for anyone not named Rodgers to be effective
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If Bijan is there, wow.
I think it will be an OT based in where the draft is thick and looking to fall. I see a few OTs that could easily be the BPA at 19.

But there are also some great DBs. Could go many ways.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

In today's NFL, you have to be able to cover.... Especially if you can't get quick pressure on the QB....

You also need OL to keep your QB clean enough that your WR's have a chance to get open

Give me OL first and then CB if there isn't a DL you feel really good about