Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Tom Brady
34%
Blaine Gabbert
3%
Kyle Trask
47%
Lamar Jackson
8%
Derek Carr
3%
Jimmy G
No votes
Another vet (name below)
5%
A rookie (name below)
No votes

Total votes: 38

Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Well…
Doctor

Re: Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Post by Doctor »

If we can get another bite of the apple with Brady I'm all for it. He wasn't there mentally this year, but if he looks at JL in the face and says, "I'm here" that's enough for me.

I'm in no hurry to start our 20 year, 7 HC, 9 QB journey.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Sign Lamar Jackson and then run the triple option
Snake

Post by Snake »

I struggle to see Licht rolling with Trask. as much as I’d love to see a good tank with Lt. Trask.

Unless ownership is good with a hard reset next season and letting Licht survive it for the rebuild.

And LOL @ thinking Brady is coming back.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Need to know the players we are moving on from and the players who will retire on their own, unknowingly or not.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:34 pm I struggle to see Licht rolling with Trask. as much as I’d love to see a good tank with Lt. Trask.

Unless ownership is good with a hard reset next season and letting Licht survive it for the rebuild.

Why did we even draft Trask?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I now finally understand that how good the compensatory pick is - depends on how big the free agent contract is for the player we are losing.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Nano wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:07 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:34 pm I struggle to see Licht rolling with Trask. as much as I’d love to see a good tank with Lt. Trask.

To take us to the #1 in 2024!
nybf

Post by nybf »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:55 pm and the players who will retire on their own, unknowingly or not.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

The door stays open for Brady. He can play here for as long as he wants.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:15 pm The door stays open for Brady. He can play here for as long as he wants.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Because we totally foresaw Brady returning and Arians retiring, and should have drafted accordingly right?
Snake

Post by Snake »

He whiffed. Just like Aguayo.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:18 pm
_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:15 pm The door stays open for Brady. He can play here for as long as he wants.
You don't have a better quarterback.

Sure, you can gut the team to buy one or trade all sorts of stuff to try and draft one but outside of doing that, you don't have any answers other than tanking for a lottery ticket in 2024.

Or you can call the goat and tell him you want him.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:38 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Sure, you can gut the team to buy one or trade all sorts of stuff to try and draft one but outside of doing that, you don't have any answers other than tanking for a lottery ticket in 2024.

Certainly there are better options than a 45 going on 46 year old QB that had arguably his worst season. Live in the past if you want to. I believe we can and should move forward. Plenty of teams had no problem fielding QBs who performed better than Tom Brady this year.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:40 pm
_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:38 pm

Certainly there are better options than a 45 going on 46 year old QB that had arguably his worst season.
Sure, run down to the young stud franchise quarterback store and pick one up on the way to the office.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

I don't care who the Bucs QB is next season, if the offensive line isn't greatly improved, the QB is a sitting duck.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

GreatTimes wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:51 pm I don't care who the Bucs QB is next season, if the offensive line isn't greatly improved, the QB is a sitting duck.
Truth.

Even getting Stinnie back is a big deal.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We'd have to re-sign him
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:52 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:51 pm I don't care who the Bucs QB is next season, if the offensive line isn't greatly improved, the QB is a sitting duck.
Truth.

Even getting Stinnie back is a big deal.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Of course I still want Tom Brady. We're just not going to have the option, he's so outta here.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Carr or Minshew
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Digital_Damage wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 pm Carr or Minshew
Neither are bad choices. Carr would make good use of Evans and Godwin. I wanted the Buccaneers to draft Carr. Before we get to that we have to see what coach they hire to replace Bowles.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Day-am

GAMES 11:58 A.M.
Tom Brady Is a Rickety Old Man Still Chasing the Dragon
By Will Leitch

It’s not 2017, or even 2021, anymore. Photo: Kevin Sabitus/Getty Images
Dan Marino is unquestionably one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time. He carried the Miami Dolphins to ten playoff appearances, and retired with the most passing yards and passing touchdowns in league history (records that have since been obliterated as the game has become much more pass-centric).

But it’s worth remembering how Marino’s career ended. His last game came in the 1999 AFC playoffs, when his Dolphins — coached by Jimmy Johnson, now a fellow talking head — lost 62-7 to the Jacksonville Jaguars. 62-7! Marino had four turnovers, completed only 11 passes, was sacked twice, and looked the entire game as if he had little tweeting birds flying in circles around his head. “I’ve never experienced a game like this in my life,” he said afterward. “Even as a kid, I’ve never had a game like this.” And it was his last one.

If Monday night was the last game of Tom Brady’s career, the best thing you can say about it is that it wasn’t Marino bad. But it was pretty close. The final game of the most miserable season of Brady’s career, a season that just kept getting worse and worse for him both on and off the field, was a 31-14 shellacking at the hands of the Dallas Cowboys. It was his second-worst playoff loss ever. Even before this black mark, the past few months had been anomalous in Brady’s career: The Buccaneers are the only team he has ever quarterbacked to a losing record. In November, he called the team’s lack of effort “embarrassing,” and he’s clearly been trying to consciously uncouple himself from Tampa Bay for more than a year now. By the end of the game, Brady looked desperate to be anywhere other than where he was, wearing any uniform other than the one he was wearing, doing anything other than what he was stuck doing right then. He looked like a 45-year-old man who just wanted to go home.

After the game, Brady wasn’t as forthcoming as Marino was 23 years ago, saying only that he planned to get “a good night’s sleep” (which I doubt he actually did) and that it would be a while until he made any sort of decision about his future. Brady is a free agent now, and there are already teams lining up to sign him if he does decide to come back. He could go play for the 49ers, the team he cheered for as a kid growing up in the Bay Area. He could link up with his old offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in Las Vegas. Even at 46, an absurd age to still be a starting quarterback, teams will want him, and you can understand why. The Buccaneers’ mediocrity this season, after all, had little to do with Brady. He led the NFL in pass completions and was third in passing yards and eighth in touchdowns. With almost any other quarterback at the helm, the Bucs would have finished a lot worse than 8-9. Brady can absolutely convince himself that the Buccaneers were the problem, not him, and he wouldn’t necessarily be wrong.

But then again, watching him last night, you had to wonder: Why would he put himself through this again? For all of Brady’s considerable remaining ability and athleticism, he still looks more and more like a frail old man who will get pulverized into splinters of bone and gristle by a 350-pound 20-something any day now. Brady has always been slow, but he’s agonizingly so now, and while he’s still holding up, the way he plays has the undeniable feel of a man whose intensely competitive nature is writing checks his body soon will not be able to cash. Check out this moment from last night when he pulled a (very illegal) slide tackle after a turnover:

That kind of move will, at some point, get an enterprising lineman to pull your leg out of its socket at the bottom of a dogpile. Brady is the greatest of all time, and he’ll always have the respect of the football world. But football is a brutal, borderline sadistic sport at times, and, as Marino can tell you, it has no reverence or sympathy for the ravages of time. Brady, like all athletes, wants his perfect good-bye. The problem, of course, is that he has had his perfect good-bye: the 2021 Super Bowl win with Tampa Bay. Before that, he could have bowed out after his fifth title with the Patriots or the incredible comeback against the Falcons in 2017. None of that was enough for Brady. So he kept coming back, trying to catch that dragon one more time. And now he is here, a rickety old man slide-tackling younger faster players, screaming at his inferior teammates, getting blown out on Monday Night Football for the whole world to see. Brady won’t want to go out like this, with a miserable loss at the end of the miserable season. But the real problem is that Brady doesn’t want to go out at all. The harder he tries to reach for that perfect ending, the more elusive it becomes. So now he’s here — lost, defeated, and old. Welcome to the party, pal. It comes for all of us.
I said what I said

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

@Babeinbucland The look I saw in Brady's eyes when Gage got injured was, "What if that was me?" I seriously think he will take the broadcasting gig and move on from playing.
MJW

Post by MJW »

13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:58 pm
Digital_Damage wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 pm Carr or Minshew
Neither are bad choices. Carr would make good use of Evans and Godwin. I wanted the Buccaneers to draft Carr. Before we get to that we have to see what coach they hire to replace Bowles.
This. No reason in getting deep into speculation until we know this.

Minshew would be a great fit for an offense like San Fran's, Philly's, etc, where there's a lot of designed QB movement in passing situations.

Carr would fit a more traditional offense.

Carr is the better quarterback. But Minshew is built for the modern game, he's much younger (almost 7 years), and he'll be significantly cheaper.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:18 am
13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:58 pm

This. No reason in getting deep into speculation until we know this.

Minshew would be a great fit for an offense like San Fran's, Philly's, etc, where there's a lot of designed QB movement in passing situations.

Carr would fit a more traditional offense.

Carr is the better quarterback. But Minshew is built for the modern game, he's much younger (almost 7 years), and he'll be significantly cheaper.
If you're thinking about Minshew as our QB, what's the goal? If the goal is to pilot the ship into the #1 pick, then okay. But if it's to win, I can't see how we'd want him given we just got a chance to see him play with a significantly better Eagles roster and he looked...bad.

I'm almost positive we won't be doing a proper rebuild(even though we should) and we'll continue to try and eek out this dogshit division, and if that's the case, Carr is the clear choice. He had a down season that's for sure, but he's a gamer and could easily win the NFCS. He'd make better use of Mike Evans and give him the chance to use his proper toolset, and he would BY FAR have the best defense he's ever had in his entire career.

And if we get a modern scheme in Tampa then who knows how far Carr could go with a Bucs flag on his helmet.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Minshew would be immensely entertaining. A la Jameis. With less picks.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

What is a "proper rebuild"?
Kona

Post by Kona »

Time for the Brady era to end for both sides.

All aboard Lt.Trask Tank Commander to lead us to the promised land of Caleb Williams.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:25 am
And if we get a modern scheme in Tampa then who knows how far Carr could go with a Bucs flag on his helmet.
5 or 6 wins.

It's like there's a cult of obtuseness infiltrating this board.
We are $50 mil over the cap.
We have a ton of useful free agents. Almost all will leave.
We have a bunch of likely cap cuts. Starters.
We have nobody behind these guys to step in. You know, these guys who just went 8-10 but were better than their backups.
We are going to have to do cap magic to field a 53 man roster next year.
And it looks like we're still going to be led by Toilet Bowles.
If Derek Carr was the guy to lead a team out of a situation like this, he had like 5 shots with the Raiders and failed to do so.
Egads.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:43 am
5 or 6 wins.

We have nobody behind these guys to step in. You know, these guys who just went 8-10 but were better than their backups.
If Derek Carr was the guy to lead a team out of a situation like this, he had like 5 shots with the Raiders and failed to do so.
Egads.
Right. We’re losing a very capable QB and a lot of talent from a team that went 8-9 in the worst division (by far) in football.

The o-line may be better, by default, but I’m really struggling to envision a winning season. Regression certainly seems more likely.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Kona wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 am Time for the Brady era to end for both sides.

All aboard Lt.Trask Tank Commander to lead us to the promised land of Caleb Williams.
Choo choo!
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:43 am
5 or 6 wins.

Egads.
I mean you may be right about Carr, even though I think he still has good football left in him, but where I disagree is the idea that we HAVE to cut a bunch of starters, because we absolutely don't.

Bowles likely already feels like his job is on the line along with Licht if they both torpedo this team into the ground after winning the SB two years ago. Which means they're almost certainly not going to go into a full rebuild mod(which I believe we should) so you should probably get used to the idea that we're going to retain a lot of the current starters and just kick the can down the road.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Derek Carr?? Really?! :lol: :lol: :lol: