Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Phantom »

Ouch
Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback shares his thoughts on 3rd-year quarterback Kyle Trask.

“Kyle Trask stinks. Listen, if Kyle Trask had done anything in practice during his two years backing up Tom Brady, Tampa doesn't go out and sign Baker Mayfield. He'd have had to have been terrible in practice. Because when you draft a quarterback second round, you want to be right" — Shaun King.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:07 am Ouch
Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback shares his thoughts on 3rd-year quarterback Kyle Trask.

“Kyle Trask stinks. Listen, if Kyle Trask had done anything in practice during his two years backing up Tom Brady, Tampa doesn't go out and sign Baker Mayfield. He'd have had to have been terrible in practice. Because when you draft a quarterback second round, you want to be right" — Shaun King.
If anyone should know what a shitty QB looks like, it's Shaun King.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Not saying he’s right about Trask stinking, but he ain’t wrong about whether he showed enough to be “the guy” after Brady.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Everyone on the planet knows what Baker Mayfield is in the NFL. A bottom third starting QB. That’s probably a charitable characterization. A good TC really doesn’t mean much. We have a lot of better data.

If Baker wins the starting job week 1, the Trask pick will be a confirmed failure.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:27 pm Everyone on the planet knows what Baker Mayfield is in the NFL. A bottom third starting QB. That’s probably a charitable characterization. A good TC really doesn’t mean much. We have a lot of better data.

If Baker wins the starting job week 1, the Trask pick will be a confirmed failure.
OBP knows this about Baker as well. In a way, you could say they were looking for confirmation that Trask was not the guy moreso than they were that he was.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:33 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:27 pm Everyone on the planet knows what Baker Mayfield is in the NFL. A bottom third starting QB. That’s probably a charitable characterization. A good TC really doesn’t mean much. We have a lot of better data.

OBP knows this about Baker as well. In a way, you could say they were looking for confirmation that Trask was not the guy moreso than they were that he was.
I think that is an excellent point. The next question is, do they release Trask after camp/preseason and, if so, who do they try to bring in to back up Mayfield?

Edit: Too bad Fitz retired.

I kid! I kid!
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:57 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:33 pm

I think that is an excellent point. The next question is, do they release Trask after camp/preseason and, if so, who do they try to bring in to back up Mayfield?

I kid! I kid!
He’s under contract this year and next. Why release him?

If Baker wins the job but doesn’t play well Trask will see the field. If he then doesn’t play well the two of them battle it out to see who can lose the most games to get the Bucs in position to draft their QBotF. Then Trask can back that guy up in 2024.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:07 am

I kid! I kid!

If Baker wins the job but doesn’t play well Trask will see the field. If he then doesn’t play well the two of them battle it out to see who can lose the most games to get the Bucs in position to draft their QBotF. Then Trask can back that guy up in 2024.

If they have a score stopping defense - they only have to be a smidge better than Shaun King.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I kid! I kid!

Because why hold on to someone you know isn't part of your present or future? If Trask can't beat Baker outright in camp, he shouldn't be given the job back if Baker fails. That's not an improvement. It's as if the NFL has conditioned fans to believe if a QB performs poorly in-season that whoever replaces him will automatically be better. More often than not it doesn't work out that way.

So if Trask can't prove himself in practice and against 3rd & 4th stringers, doubtful he'll fair better against starting quality defenses.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:04 am

Because why hold on to someone you know isn't part of your present or future? If Trask can't beat Baker outright in camp, he shouldn't be given the job back if Baker fails. That's not an improvement. It's as if the NFL has conditioned fans to believe if a QB performs poorly in-season that whoever replaces him will automatically be better. More often than not it doesn't work out that way.

So if Trask can't prove himself in practice and against 3rd & 4th stringers, doubtful he'll fair better against starting quality defenses.

You are relying on a narrative that has not taken place yet built by social media. How easily they join the club..
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:37 am

You are relying on a narrative that has not taken place yet built by social media. How easily they join the club..
I'm not relying on anything. I just don't believe you're forced to hang on to Trask in case Baker fails.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:42 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:37 am

I'm not relying on anything. I just don't believe you're forced to hang on to Trask in case Baker fails.

Decisions not made by us or the internet game.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

This is just silly. No one "knows" anything even when they think they "know" something. Eagles were about to get Russell Wilson last year and I'm sure the plan wasn't to cut Hurts after doing so. Drew Lock was actually beating out Geno before he got COVID. That doesn't mean they cut and run on Lock.

I know the way the league works, if you aren't a darling you're a cold can of beans, and the winds have moved on from Mayfield. But he's still a very good and talented QB and I've said it repeatedly fit is the most important thing of all. If this offense, with Canales and these players, is a fit with Mayfield he can absolutely be very good and very hard to beat out. That shouldn't be an indictment on Trask, who could also do very well in this offense if things break his way.
Snake

Post by Snake »

“But he's still a very good and talented QB”

This is factually incorrect. If it were correct, he wouldn’t have gotten a one year show-me deal.

And the only talent he has is arm talent. There’s a lot more that goes into being a quarterback. [Insert the names of 5000 quarterbacks who only had good arms, and did not accomplish shit in the NFL].
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:10 pm This is just silly. No one "knows" anything even when they think they "know" something.
I know the way the league works
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

They’ve had Ryan Griffin for like 10 years. You need a backup QB. No reason Trask can’t be that, and as veteran backup QBs go he’d be cheap.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Honestly, it doesn’t matter which of them pilots the 6-win 2023 Bucs.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:54 pm

They’ve had Ryan Griffin for like 10 years. You need a backup QB. No reason Trask can’t be that, and as veteran backup QBs go he’d be cheap.
Ryan Griffin was never a contender to be the #2 QB on this team. Let alone the starter. You're talking apples and oranges here.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:35 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:54 pm

Ryan Griffin was never a contender to be the #2 QB on this team. Let alone the starter. You're talking apples and oranges here.
Also, did we draft Ryan Griffin in the second round right after winning the Super Bowl with the GOAT QB under center and hungry to repeat?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:49 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:35 pm

Also, did we draft Ryan Griffin in the second round right after winning the Super Bowl with the GOAT QB under center and hungry to repeat?
So the solution to the problem of Trask as a sunk asset is to release him and sink MORE assets into the backup QB position? Wut?

In other words, we’d be releasing a player for spite because he didn’t live up to whatever potential some hoped he’d have.

And, I know we harp on him as a second round pick. He’s basically a 3rd round pick (64th). Mike Glennon was a 3rd round pick (74th) overall. Did anyone ever think Glennon was the answer? No, but he hung around the NFL for a while.

It seems like just because Brady was here when he was drafted Trask has been anointed as some successor to him, when in reality that likely was never a realistic expectation.

Backup QB should be the real expectation, and if Baker wins the job this year Trask should be that for two years.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Also something to consider is Trask is dirt cheap, I doubt we’re going to be spending a lot of resources at the backup QB position next season.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kona wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:06 am Also something to consider is Trask is dirt cheap, I doubt we’re going to be spending a lot of resources at the backup QB position next season.
Exactly. Releasing him because he didn’t win the starter job would be pointless.
Kress

Post by Kress »

If you ask me, Baker and Trask are battling it out for the role of next year's backup. They just get a whole season to audition for it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kress wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:01 pm If you ask me, Baker and Trask are battling it out for the role of next year's backup. They just get a whole season to audition for it.
Baker is on a one year deal. If/When he proves to be backup material it's highly unlikely he's a part of the team in 2024.

I do see a scenario where he Geno Smith's himself into an extension though.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I’ll never get tired of watching this over and over. Mike Evans, Bucs working toward third contract this summer.

No, he’s not going anywhere

MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:14 pm
Kress wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:01 pm If you ask me, Baker and Trask are battling it out for the role of next year's backup. They just get a whole season to audition for it.
Baker is on a one year deal. If/When he proves to be backup material it's highly unlikely he's a part of the team in 2024.

There's a 95% chance this is known as "the Baker Mayfield season."
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:13 pm

So 5% for Trask to purdy up his resume and seize the moment.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:16 pm

Yeah, I'd say that's about right.

A major misconception here and nationally is that we gave Baker Mayfield basically our entire UFA budget to come in and watch Kyle Trask play. The only way Trask would win the job is if he's far and away the better option. The only reason he's still on this roster is his cheapness. Mayfield will start. That was always and will remain the plan. We didn't have enough money for a real grown-up plan at QB, so we went with the lotto ticket. And you better believe OBP will be checking to see if it paid off once the season begins.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:21 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:16 pm

Yeah, I'd say that's about right.

A major misconception here and nationally is that we gave Baker Mayfield basically our entire UFA budget to come in and watch Kyle Trask play. The only way Trask would win the job is if he's far and away the better option. The only reason he's still on this roster is his cheapness. Mayfield will start. That was always and will remain the plan. We didn't have enough money for a real grown-up plan at QB, so we went with the lotto ticket. And you better believe OBP will be checking to see if it paid off once the season begins.
Brittle could make it's way into a higher percentage and they already said giving up the ball will send you to the bench.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:18 am

Not saying he’s right about Trask stinking, but he ain’t wrong about whether he showed enough to be “the guy” after Brady.
Trask got 9 plays compared to a whopping how many Gabbert plays? If someone was coming in for Tom, it wasnt to save the day.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I would prefer to see a "what do you say now moment" for Shaun King.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:01 pm I would prefer to see a "what do you say now moment" for Shaun King.
I don't think it's impossible.

I remember hearing about a rookie QB. First rounder, but a project. Anyway, he didn't play as a rookie. Everyone said he wasn't ready. The practices are shit, the light's not coming on. Maybe they should cut him and cut their losses, etc. And we heard this through his rookie year and through his first offseason, right up into training camp. "They're not really trusting him, are they? The veteran has been there, done that. He'll end up being the guy."

Whelp, Daunte Culpepper DID start that year and he made a Pro Bowl. He was still rough around the edges, but it turns out he simply played better than he practiced. Also, sometimes this stuff gets way overblown.

That said, for reasons I stated above, it's Mayfield's job.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

That's less than optimistic. What kind of year does he need to have to earn an extension you think?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:14 am

That's less than optimistic. What kind of year does he need to have to earn an extension you think?
Division title
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:17 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:14 am

Division title
Saints go 10-7; Bucs go 9-8. We don't think they all keep their jobs? In that scenario I imagine it's "how'd we get here?" Mostly defensive type wins or did Baker have a pretty good year?