Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Grahamburn »

Maybe the Eagles think they're getting LaVonte? Lol.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:20 am Maybe the Eagles think they're getting LaVonte? Lol.
I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant by "green is my favorite color," either.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kress wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:29 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:20 am Maybe the Eagles think they're getting LaVonte? Lol.
I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant by "green is my favorite color," either.
Deep dive tweets.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Deja Entendu wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:19 am
Philly fans would eat him alive
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:18 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:49 pm Well, if Devin White wants out, I wish him the best of luck.

As far as compensation we could expect, the Devin White situation's closest recent comp is Roquan Smith from Chicago to Baltimore. The Bears got a second and fifth round pick as well as a backup linebacker for trading Smith.

Imo that would be shitty value for White, but if that's all we can get I guess it's okay?
This. Turning a top 5 pick into a 2nd is a major indictment on the organization, not the player. ESPECIALLY when it's the exact same FO and coaching staff that drafted you.

White was the 1st draft pick this regime made and he wants out 4 years later. This isn't the ideal situation fans want to believe it is. Trading him does not make this a better team.
Considering half of first rounders flat out bust, getting a 2nd rounder is hardly awful. A swish is better than a miss, but a miss and a rebound is still better than a flat miss.

I do agree trading him makes this team worse. Point blank. I also just don't see why we would. This isn't a franchise tag, a final rookie year is essentially play or retire.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Correct. White has no leverage. He and his agent just hope some other team is willing to pay him and give up a significant pick. Not likely, but..

Maybe a team like Detroit or Philly with a pair of firsts would give up their later one?
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Getting a player's cheap rookie contract years and trading them for a decent return is almost always going to be a good play when it's not a QB.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

PLEASE Trade him. If he plays another year for us everyone else will know what we know and we'll get nothing for him. Take what we can get, let's move on. Thanks Cowboy for about 12 great plays in your career as a Buc.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

He needs to go. If Licht doesn't trade him, it's just malpractice.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Hey geniuses, we get at least a 3rd if White walks as a FA so it's not nothing.
Also, I doubt we let him walk. He'll be tagged for sure. And he knows it. Which means you may as well try to hold out now.

Also there's a chance the beacon signals a team that offers a hella good deal. Overall though I'm sure we'll work out a deal. I doubt White hits the $100M mark though. Maybe some fluff incentives to make it look it on paper for him. Hell, make it SB incentives. If we return to the SB it's because he's playing at that level again. Also, he's a month older than Hendon Hooker. That's a lot of meat on that bone.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:10 pm Hey geniuses, we get at least a 3rd if White walks as a FA so it's not nothing.
At most a third, but I agree that it's not nothing.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

He's not going to be traded. This is an exercise in board members typing.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Deja Entendu wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:19 am
Unless my eyes deceive me, that is picture of a jersey-swapped Lavonte David, not Devin White.

Lol.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:10 pm Hey geniuses, we get at least a 3rd if White walks as a FA so it's not nothing.
Also, I doubt we let him walk. He'll be tagged for sure. And he knows it. Which means you may as well try to hold out now.

Also there's a chance the beacon signals a team that offers a hella good deal. Overall though I'm sure we'll work out a deal. I doubt White hits the $100M mark though. Maybe some fluff incentives to make it look it on paper for him. Hell, make it SB incentives. If we return to the SB it's because he's playing at that level again. Also, he's a month older than Hendon Hooker. That's a lot of meat on that bone.

Well with no tradedown you are more than likely not going to get your ILB unless you pick him first. ILB in 2024 looks like a hot mess. Also without a tradedown you can kiss the coveted TE's goodbye too.

Between pick 82 and 175 we have one pick and we need about 31 players to hit a ninety man roster.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Now it seems like young people are in charge of the sim algorithms with their bias in full command. We are way down the ladder with these guys wanting to make our draft look good.

Unless our draft room can make our last six picks look like viable contracted assets that can either surprise or buy us time - we got problems.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Glad you’re captain of the ship, mdb. I know we’re in good hands. :thumbsup:
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:44 am Glad you’re captain of the ship, mdb. I know we’re in good hands. :thumbsup:
What I said Licht already knows. If we fill out our roster with unwanted free agent castoffs with one year contracts instead of teaching college prospects - we will just bleed longer.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Grahamburn run the PFN sim on auto and post it. - tell me how you like it.

Also click on the rest of the NFCS teams and check out their picks.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed I am interested in this position.

Five takeaways:
- White isn't going anywhere. Sounds like there's an offer on the table, he can sign it, or bet on himself in his final year.
- Licht remains a BPA guy. If a guy is a week 1 starter, neat, but a starter isn't the mission. A stud in year 3 is the mission.
- OBP doesn't subscribe to tropes and have no problem taking positions like off ball LB or RB early if they are studs.
- Bijan, Nolan Smith, Branch are all in play, as well as a possible trade up.
- I think the OTs are at the top of his draft board. Don't know which one(s). But if I had to guess I'd say Jones and Wright.

Oh, and Licht is totally ripping a bong in the war room.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:54 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:44 am Glad you’re captain of the ship, mdb. I know we’re in good hands. :thumbsup:
What I said Licht already knows. If we fill out our roster with unwanted free agent castoffs with one year contracts instead of teaching college prospects - we will just bleed longer.
I'll never understand the fetish of romanticizing rookies. Like "these players haven't been touched by some other pro coach" or something.

When you have two dudes competing on the field you should judge them based on how they compete on the field. Period. May they be a cast off, a Day 3 pick, a UDFA, none of that matters.
njdungeoneer

Post by njdungeoneer »

Bucs have signed Chargers starting left guard, who has also played right tackle, Matt Feiler
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:48 pm Indeed I am interested in this position.

Five takeaways:
- White isn't going anywhere. Sounds like there's an offer on the table, he can sign it, or bet on himself in his final year.
- Licht remains a BPA guy. If a guy is a week 1 starter, neat, but a starter isn't the mission. A stud in year 3 is the mission.
- OBP doesn't subscribe to tropes and have no problem taking positions like off ball LB or RB early if they are studs.
- Bijan, Nolan Smith, Branch are all in play, as well as a possible trade up.
- I think the OTs are at the top of his draft board. Don't know which one(s). But if I had to guess I'd say Jones and Wright.

Oh, and Licht is totally ripping a bong in the war room.
Thoughts on your takeaways:

- I think you're right about White. That said, I don't agree with the decision personally. But I don't think he's going anywhere.
- I think this is nonsense, at least in the early rounds. Luke Goedeke says hi. But no GM is going to cop to targeting needs. It's like saying you prefer checkers at a chess tournament.
- Tropes? You mean, common sense? Okay.
- I have no reason to think any of them aren't. Personally, Branch is my favorite "might be there" prospect in the class.
- I agree, the OTs are almost certainly to be all gone. But I think a willingness to try Wirfs at LT opens up a lot of options.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
njdungeoneer

Post by njdungeoneer »

JL loves to sign vets just prior to the draft to give himself more wiggle room on draft day.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Oh yeah those marginal end of roster guys. Always mucking up those draft plans….
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:59 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:54 am

I'll never understand the fetish of romanticizing rookies. Like "these players haven't been touched by some other pro coach" or something.

When you have two dudes competing on the field you should judge them based on how they compete on the field. Period. May they be a cast off, a Day 3 pick, a UDFA, none of that matters.

You seem to romanticize everyone you talk about. It does matter, a four year contract doesnt leave till it's your decision.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:59 pm I'll never understand the fetish of romanticizing rookies. Like "these players haven't been touched by some other pro coach" or something.
The guy who thinks Chase Edmunds will alter our draft strategy or the anonymous Seahawks safety who was on the market for a month was a home-run signing has some feelings about romanticizing players.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Matt Feiler?

Another OL depth
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Phantom wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:29 pm Matt Feiler?

Another OL depth

2014 UDFA Division II
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lol…
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:41 am
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If he can be that guy he is absolutely worth $20M, especially for the grave digger defense. His issue is that he's coming off a down year and has no leverage, meanwhile, the Bucs have a cheap year and there is every reason in the world to let it play out before deciding. Even a couple of tags are likely.

And, yes, we absolutely do want to see it. I get we have people on here who are secretly super scouts and are 100% sure they've nailed this call off watching games on Sunday one time through, unlike our loser staff who spend hours with these guys every day and pour through tape like it's their job... but humor me.

White's missed tackles were actually down 26% last season from his previous two, when he was a probowler and all-pro, from 15 to 11. For reference here are some others:

Missed Tackles, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Fred Warner 13, 17, 7, 11, 8
Lavonte David 9, 10, 10, 9, 9
Roquan Smith 13, 4, 10 ,6 ,8
Bobby Wagner 1, 10, 10, 12, 2

And some of these guys have been tackling people for 20 years.
So if White, who is a month older than Hendon Hooker, can make another improvement and drop his missed tackles from 11 to say a regular 8 on average... he's right there with all those guys. Bowles, Larry, and now we have George Edwards who is a hell of a coach too. It's just insane to me to declare so definitively that Devin White (who is just entering his prime and could be there for another decade) will always miss a dozen tackles every year with no improvement what-so-ever. Walk the plank!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Gerald McCoy announces retirement.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:02 am If he can be that guy he is absolutely worth $20M, especially for the grave digger defense. His issue is that he's coming off a down year and has no leverage, meanwhile, the Bucs have a cheap year and there is every reason in the world to let it play out before deciding. Even a couple of tags are likely.

And, yes, we absolutely do want to see it. I get we have people on here who are secretly super scouts and are 100% sure they've nailed this call off watching games on Sunday one time through, unlike our loser staff who spend hours with these guys every day and pour through tape like it's their job... but humor me.

White's missed tackles were actually down 26% last season from his previous two, when he was a probowler and all-pro, from 15 to 11. For reference here are some others:

Missed Tackles, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Fred Warner 13, 17, 7, 11, 8
Lavonte David 9, 10, 10, 9, 9
Roquan Smith 13, 4, 10 ,6 ,8
Bobby Wagner 1, 10, 10, 12, 2

And some of these guys have been tackling people for 20 years.
So if White, who is a month older than Hendon Hooker, can make another improvement and drop his missed tackles from 11 to say a regular 8 on average... he's right there with all those guys. Bowles, Larry, and now we have George Edwards who is a hell of a coach too. It's just insane to me to declare so definitively that Devin White (who is just entering his prime and could be there for another decade) will always miss a dozen tackles every year with no improvement what-so-ever. Walk the plank!
ummmm...those two statements are contradictory, no?
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Feiler is a good add, our depth was concerning. I’d still double dip on OL this draft, but good to have a capable starter back in the fold even if he’s older- can still be a buffer until a young guy steps up.