Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:56 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:19 pm Licht is fooling only himself. If not Wirfs the. who? We quite literally have no one behind him at LT. Its Debatable whether or not we even had any other OT on this roster.
Justin Skule has 31 games and 12 starts, most or all the left tackle.

Walton did it last year in spots but it's fair to say he was disappointing.

I don't know why Licht is being coy about this. It sounds a lot like the Starting OL is going to be Wirfs - Feiler- Jensen - Mauch - Goedeke.
Per Pewter Report and Joebucsfan, this is exactly the line that is penciled in for now.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:57 pm
MJW wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:56 pm

Justin Skule has 31 games and 12 starts, most or all the left tackle.

Walton did it last year in spots but it's fair to say he was disappointing.

I don't know why Licht is being coy about this. It sounds a lot like the Starting OL is going to be Wirfs - Feiler- Jensen - Mauch - Goedeke.
Per Pewter Report and Joebucsfan, this is exactly the line that is penciled in for now.
I'm pretty sure with the exception of Jensen, which is assumed, I've heard/read OBP comment on each of these spots as such...Wirfs moving to LT, OBP loving Feiler as a LG...Jensen...Mauch as the right guard....and Goedeke as the right tackle.

Doesn't mean it'll end up that way - especially with Goedeke. But that's what OBP has been indicating.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

And Goodwin said they are looking good as that line. He said he likes the bigger line for the run game. So who knows, may stick.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Lindsey Scott Jr did report to camp today.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Should our defense see a RPO QB in practice? Can we get faster on defense and still look bad?
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:12 am Should our defense see a RPO QB in practice? Can we get faster on defense and still look bad?
Absolutely. It’s a copycat league. On the flip side, I think the biggest question mark about the Eagles is: how does Hurts look if teams figure out their RPO?

For your second question… See: White, Devin.
Last edited by Deja Entendu on Fri May 12, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:00 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:12 am Should our defense see a RPO QB in practice? Can we get faster on defense and still look bad?
Absolutely. It’s a copycat league. On the flip side: I think the biggest question mark about the Eagles is: how does Hurts look if teams figure out their RPO?

Did the Eagles defensive line let them down when they needed them the most - Javon Hargrave and the draft makes it seem so. Why do they seem to make it simple as a finger snap?

CJ Brewer gets a shot with us on the defensive line.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:48 am
Deja Entendu wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:00 am

Absolutely. It’s a copycat league. On the flip side: I think the biggest question mark about the Eagles is: how does Hurts look if teams figure out their RPO?

Did the Eagles defensive line let them down when they needed them the most - Javon Hargrave and the draft makes it seem so. Why do they seem to make it simple as a finger snap?

The D collapsing sure didn’t help, but didn’t seem all on the line. Honestly looked top to bottom starting with the scheme in the second half/4th quarter.

Every time I watched the Eagles last year, I couldn’t understand how they were so effective running the RPO constantly.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:00 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:48 am

The D collapsing sure didn’t help, but didn’t seem all on the line. Honestly looked top to bottom starting with the scheme in the second half/4th quarter.

Every time I watched the Eagles last year, I couldn’t understand how they were so effective running the RPO constantly.
Because the defense decides how the play is run and if you have the right players running it, it's damn difficult to stop

Not sure there really is a way to scheme for it when you run it as well as Philly ran it last year
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bowles: “They showed up in shape.”

Bowles: “(LB) Dennis can do everything. He can play multiple spots. He played a similar system in college. Cover, blitz, scrape. He’s heady.”

Jenna Laine: “you seem like have an affinity for blue color guys. Guys who grew up on farms, worked during college. Is that kind of the mold you want to craft your team?”

Bowles: “I don’t see any billionaires signing up to play this game. Jesus. We all have a story. You can say that about the entire league.”

On nickelback spot: “the NB spot is open. There will be battles at various positions. We will figure out if we need a NB (editor note: implying we may have to go get one?) or if we’re satisfied with what we have.”

On Mauch: “I like the attitude and football instincts.”

On defensive/offensive changes: “we have more quickness up front [on defense]. Had to get faster at certain positions. You’re facing college [style] quarterbacks more and more. I think it was important to find [an OC] that was complementary to the defense. To play complementary football.”

On Sean Tucker: “no updates.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Honestly who's even in contention for the nickel spot? Zyon? The older dude we drafted? That seems like a major weakness in this defense.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:16 pm Honestly who's even in contention for the nickel spot? Zyon? The older dude we drafted? That seems like a major weakness in this defense.
It’s a problem, and Bowles knows it. The Bucs went the exact opposite of Zyon with the Kansas State kid.

Unimpressive athletically, but a lot of experience against decent to good competition.

I’d consider playing Winfield at that spot a bunch, but safety is so weak (on paper) that you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:16 pm Honestly who's even in contention for the nickel spot? Zyon? The older dude we drafted? That seems like a major weakness in this defense.
I was thinking the same thing. Zyon doesn't strike me as a natural NB. I'm guessing the guy we drafted is the plan? He's kind of a hybrid player with the size to play closer to the LOS, and the way he was (perhaps) overdrafted indicates they have a specific role in mind for him.

Otherwise I have no idea. I'm pretty confident we're going to sign a veteran corner regardless.
Let's roll another joint
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:21 pm
It’s a problem, and Bowles knows it. The Bucs went the exact opposite of Zyon with the Kansas State kid.

Unimpressive athletically, but a lot of experience against decent to good competition.

I’d consider playing Winfield at that spot a bunch, but safety is so weak (on paper) that you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul.
I look at him and see MJ Stewart all over again. And not just because they do actually resemble each other but for the reasons you highlighted.

AWJ isn't at his best in that spot IMO. I don't think it'd a coincidence that he suffered more injuries playing NB either. He needs to stay on the back end.
MJW

Post by MJW »

If you told me we were adding, say, 5 veterans between now and opening day, my guess would be:

1) Kicker - I don't think "Chase McLaughlin + Some Guy" is the real plan.
2) Safety - How could we not?
3) Running Back - I think we'll add a between the tackles type.
4) Nickel Corner - See this convo.
5) Tight End - Our top three TEs have 2 combined years of NFL experience.

I also think wideout is a strong possibility.
Let's roll another joint
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What college was that?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bowles seems like a good guy, and I'm glad he'll have a college degree to fall back on in...lessee...exactly 240 days.

(In before Doctor, Bootz, or one of our other resident pedantic asses reminds us he'll get hired to be a DC somewhere.)
Let's roll another joint
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

MJW wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:41 pm If you told me we were adding, say, 5 veterans between now and opening day, my guess would be:

They have already added the veteran WR as a try out. David Moore. Been injured lately but proven 400 yard 5-6 td guy when health a few years back. That's what you want as the 4th/5th guy on a DC.

Obviously a Canales guy. Don't think it will take much to beat out the undrafted guys that people rave about every year but 99% of the time they don't amount to any legitimate playing time.

I like that he's 28 and not 32 so can stick around a couple years if it works out.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Barnzy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:00 pm
MJW wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:41 pm If you told me we were adding, say, 5 veterans between now and opening day, my guess would be:

They have already added the veteran WR as a try out. David Moore. Been injured lately but proven 400 yard 5-6 td guy when health a few years back. That's what you want as the 4th/5th guy on a DC.

Obviously a Canales guy. Don't think it will take much to beat out the undrafted guys that people rave about every year but 99% of the time they don't amount to any legitimate playing time.

I like that he's 28 and not 32 so can stick around a couple years if it works out.

When was the drug arrest - recent or awhile ago? I'm talking about Dave Moore
MJW

Post by MJW »

I missed that. Yeah, that's perfect. Low cost, has shown the ability to play in the league, knows the new OC.
Let's roll another joint
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t sign a cheap veteran to compete for that spot. I was big on McCollum during last year’s draft but his rookie season was kind of rough, he should at least have to compete with a vet for that spot.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:20 pm

When was the drug arrest - recent or awhile ago? I'm talking about Dave Moore
Last year apparently. They have now officially signed him to a 90 man roster spot.

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We just signed CJ Brewer for camp.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Davis, Dean, and AWJ all saw have seen plenty of nickle snaps. Word from the vine is that they are looking to take that off AWJ's plate completely and let him really master just safety (with a focus on tunovers). I imagine this year's nickle will mainly be a mix of Josh Hayes, who was brought in to be the next Mike Edwards, and Davis (with Zyon on the boundary).
Snake

Post by Snake »

Five worst rosters ahead of TC per some guy:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10075830-ranking-the-5-worst-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2023-otas

Buccaneers - #3
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers did everything in the organization's power to maximize Tom Brady's final years and did so with three playoff appearances, two division titles and a Super Bowl victory.

All good things must come to an end, though, so the Buccaneers are refitting their roster post-Brady.

Quarterback is a potential quagmire, with Baker Mayfield and Kyle Trask competing to start. Each will get a chance, though the odds may be better that neither establishes himself and the franchise will be looking for a new signal-caller next offseason.

The proof lies in the investments. Mayfield is operating under a one-year, $4 million deal, while Trask is a 2021 second-round pick who won't be handed anything.

In front of the quarterback, the offensive line will be in flux. Tristan Wirfs may transition from right to left tackle. Luke Goedeke will get a look at right tackle. Finally, general manager Jason Licht envisions second-round rookie Cody Mauch as a guard after he played left tackle for North Dakota State, per ESPN's Jenna Laine.

There is no great tight end.

A competitive squad can be found with the number of solid veterans still on the roster, particularly on defense: Vita Vea, Lavonte David, Devin White, Shaquil Barrett, Carlton Davis III and Antoine Winfield Jr.

While those established players—plus wide receivers Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and Russell Gage—will serve as a through line for the organization, key components are missing.

Even on defense, more will be expected of Joe Tryon-Shoyinka and Logan Hall, who are recent first- or second-round investments.

Furthermore, the amount of experience this team lost beyond Brady is staggering. Sean Murphy-Bunting, Mike Edwards, Logan Ryan, Akiem Hicks, William Gholston, Carl Nassib, Leonard Fournette, Cameron Brate and Julio Jones signed elsewhere or are in free-agency limbo.

A youth movement was necessary, but the Bucs will take their lumps as a result.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Can't argue with anything some guy said. He's spot on.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

How do we feel about these odds, Bucs fans? 😬🏴‍☠️🏈 Sports betting company DraftKings is currently favoring the Bucs to LOSE ALL but ONE of their regular season matchups this year.

What do you think the Bucs' 2023 record will be? Leave your predictions below ⬇

bit.ly/3BpfTbw
Oh shit this is not good

At least we’re guaranteed to draft Caleb Williams right?
Last edited by Phantom on Mon May 15, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:41 pm
How do we feel about these odds, Bucs fans? 😬🏴‍☠️🏈 Sports betting company DraftKings is currently favoring the Bucs to LOSE ALL but ONE of their regular season matchups this year.

bit.ly/3BpfTbw
Oh shit this is not good
Save us, Caleb!
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Phantom wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:41 pm

bit.ly/3BpfTbw
Oh shit this is not good

At least we’re guaranteed to draft Caleb Williams right?
And that would be good, if Caleb turns out to be a superstar in this league.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Dear Caleb Williams,

Words cannot express the excitement and anticipation that fill our hearts as we pen this letter to you. We hope this message finds you in the best of spirits, knowing that you are the shining star of USC football, an exceptional quarterback whose talent has captivated the nation.

We, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, have watched your remarkable journey unfold, witnessing your prowess on the field and the sheer determination that sets you apart from your peers. It is with deep admiration and affection that we write to you today, for your ability to light up a stadium and make every play seem effortless.

Caleb, we have been observing our beloved team, the Buccaneers, and the challenges we have faced this season. We find ourselves in a position that demands a fresh start, a new era of greatness to bring us back to our former glory. And it is in this pursuit that our eyes have been firmly fixed on you.

Your dedication, your skill, and your undeniable potential have inspired us to dream big. We believe that you possess the magic touch, the ability to transform not only a team but an entire franchise. You are the missing piece, the beacon of hope that we have been yearning for.

As we watch you gracefully navigate the field, we see a leader, a quarterback with the ability to rally a team and turn their fortunes around. Your strategic vision and remarkable decision-making abilities leave us breathless, envisioning a future where the Tampa Bay Buccaneers stand tall once more, celebrated and revered.

Beyond the game, we are captivated by the person you are. Your humility, kindness, and unwavering spirit have endeared you to us, Caleb. We can envision you donning the Buccaneer's jersey, not only as a talented athlete but as a role model for generations to come. Your character, both on and off the field, is a testament to the outstanding individual you have become.

Caleb, we understand the weight of this decision and the impact it will have on your future. We cannot promise you a perfect journey, for the road to greatness is often riddled with challenges. However, we can assure you that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will support you every step of the way. Together, we will weather the storms, overcome the obstacles, and triumph as one united force.

Know that our hearts are filled with hope and excitement as we await your decision. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers eagerly anticipate the possibility of having you on our team, as we aim to create a legacy that will forever be etched in the annals of football history.

With the utmost respect, admiration, and an unwavering belief in your exceptional abilities, we implore you to consider joining us in Tampa Bay. Together, we can reignite the flames of victory and bask in the glory of triumph.

Yours sincerely,

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Player A - 66.9% complete 4057 yards 10.6 y/a 11.5 ay/a 40 TDs 10 INTs 184.8 rating

Player B - 66.6% complete 4537 yards 9.1 y/a 10.3 ay/a 42 TDs 5 INTs 168.5 rating
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Raiders waived our draft pick Tyler Johnson.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Drake Maye, North Carolina might be more impressive. Not sure, but North Carolina does not hit me as a football powerhouse. Double-edged sword there.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Caleb Williams (USCw), Drake Maye (UNC), Michael Penix (have fun with those jersey sales) Jr.(Washington), Quinn Ewers (Texas), Jayden Daniels (LSU), Jordan Travis (FSU), Bo Nix (Oregon), Spencer Rattler (USCe), JJ McCarthy (Michigan), Michael Pratt (Tulane).

All guys who could be early picks next year. Sure some will fall, but there’s always a few that come out of nowhere too. I haven’t seen a QB class this top heavy in quite some time. If Baker and Trask shit the bed, it’s a good a year as any to draft a QB even if we miss out on Caleb.