Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:18 am Yea we needed to add someone even for a camp arm. Wolford is trash but has started some games, he’s basically west coast Ryan Griffin
Speaking of Griffin, he spent 8 seasons here and threw 2 passes. Why all of a sudden have we moved on?
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean what more do you want out of him? Dude had the ideal dream run as a back up, 4 passes, never hit, got a ring, got an all time photo with the GOAT in an epic celebration, and will be 34 with all his brain cells intact. Sign me up for that career every damn day.

He can now use those 4 passes to launch his coaching career.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:38 am I mean what more do you want out of him? Dude had the ideal dream run as a back up, 4 passes, never hit, got a ring, got an all time photo with the GOAT in an epic celebration, and will be 34 with all his brain cells intact. Sign me up for that career every damn day.

He can now use those 4 passes to launch his coaching career.
Man. No kidding. Dude's set for life. Or should be.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Man. I really wonder where some of you get off calling these guys "trash."
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Wolford is a very curious choice. After the draft, Licht said they wanted a veteran QB in the room that has “been there, done that” and he signs a guy with 4 career starts and a 1:5 TD:INT ratio. I mean, it’s 3rd string and if this dude sniffs the field then it’s a disaster situation so I’m not really concerned about it. I just figured we were looking at someone with actual experience like Flacco or Foles to be a leader in the QB room based off what Licht was saying.

Again, hopefully this guy never has to sniff the field though.
alphabetsend

Post by alphabetsend »

Wolford played under McVay, which is a similar system to what Canales ran in Seattle. He comes in understanding the concepts of the offense and can help the starter prepare.

Wolford backed up Mayfield in LA at the end of last season.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I don't imagine they'd want anyone who may seem like a threat the Baker/Trask competition. Foles/Flacco would be that. And those guys may even command more $ than Mayfield did.

Wolford is fine.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't think either would be a threat.

I think they just want to make sure whoever is coming in knows they are coming in for scraps/possible camp injury. They aren't going to split the starting reps 3 ways. With the modern TC rules it's going to be challenging enough to get enough reps for two guys to settle the QB battle as is.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Flacco/Foles have both made about $3M per the last few years. Wolford has been under $1M in each of the last three years.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

YaYa Diaby to wear the number 0.

Awesome.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:58 am Wolford is a very curious choice. After the draft, Licht said they wanted a veteran QB in the room that has “been there, done that” and he signs a guy with 4 career starts and a 1:5 TD:INT ratio. I mean, it’s 3rd string and if this dude sniffs the field then it’s a disaster situation so I’m not really concerned about it. I just figured we were looking at someone with actual experience like Flacco or Foles to be a leader in the QB room based off what Licht was saying.

I think you need three arms for camp, or at least that's the convention. Wolford is basically an UDFA who has a little actual NFL experience.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

MJW wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:42 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:58 am Wolford is a very curious choice. After the draft, Licht said they wanted a veteran QB in the room that has “been there, done that” and he signs a guy with 4 career starts and a 1:5 TD:INT ratio. I mean, it’s 3rd string and if this dude sniffs the field then it’s a disaster situation so I’m not really concerned about it. I just figured we were looking at someone with actual experience like Flacco or Foles to be a leader in the QB room based off what Licht was saying.

I think you need three arms for camp, or at least that's the convention. Wolford is basically an UDFA who has a little actual NFL experience.
I understand. I have no actual problems with it. I just think its funny that Licht said in a PC he wanted to sign a QB that has “been there, done that” and proceeded to sign a guy with 1 career TD pass.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

alphabetsend wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:06 pm Wolford played under McVay, which is a similar system to what Canales ran in Seattle. He comes in understanding the concepts of the offense and can help the starter prepare.

Wolford backed up Mayfield in LA at the end of last season.

Except Canales never "ran" a system in Seattle. He's never run a system at all because he's never been an OC at the NFL or college level.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Naismith wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 am I'm probably reading too much into this but my first thought was that they still don't trust Trask to be the backup.
You're reading too much into it. It's dumb to carry just 2.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Maybe they did inquire about Foles/Flacco but can't fit it under the cap.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

According to ESPN insider Jeremy Fowler, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are interested in signing Ezekiel Elliott as RB2 behind Rachaad White.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Phantom wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:54 am
According to ESPN insider Jeremy Fowler, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are interested in signing Ezekiel Elliott as RB2 behind Rachaad White.
Yikes
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:33 am
Kona wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:18 am Yea we needed to add someone even for a camp arm. Wolford is trash but has started some games, he’s basically west coast Ryan Griffin
Speaking of Griffin, he spent 8 seasons here and threw 2 passes. Why all of a sudden have we moved on?
He ran out of time
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:04 am
Yikes
Oof. Why?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

It would be a good signing. We have nothing behind White right now. Elliott brings experience and most importantly some size that'll help on short yardage and in the red zone.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Wirfs-Feiler-Jensen-???-???

Hainsey, Leverett, Stinnie, Mauch, Goedeke to compete for others.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

At the moment, I'd say:

LT - Wirfs
LG - Feiler
C - Jensen
RG - Mauch
RT - Goedeke
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cheb wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:54 pm At the moment, I'd say:

LT - Wirfs
LG - Feiler
C - Jensen
RG - Mauch
RT - Goedeke
I can get with it.

Hainsey as do everything swingman. Leverett/Stinnie at backup G.

Pray for Wirfs.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

General manager Jason Licht pumped the brakes on that assumption Tuesday on 95.3 WDAE radio, noting that while Wirfs moving to left tackle is the plan, things can always change as we head toward training camp.

"We certainly feel very comfortable with a person like Tristan, with his skillset and his athleticism and size and intelligence and all that, that [his transition to left tackle] is gonna be pretty seamless," Licht said on the Jay and Z show, "but that hasn't completely been etched in stone yet.

"Now we're still going to remain fluid here in the offseason. We're going to see how it goes, and we just want to make sure that we're putting the best five out there. Now he's certainly going to be one of the best five, but I just, what combination? So we feel good about Luke (Goedeke); we feel that he can do that at right tackle. But, you know, we still have time just to make sure that we're putting 'em in the right spots."

https://www.nfl.com/news/buccaneers-gm- ... -stone-yet
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Use the force, Luke.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Licht is fooling only himself. If not Wirfs the. who? We quite literally have no one behind him at LT. Its Debatable whether or not we even had any other OT on this roster.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:55 pm
It would be a good signing. We have nothing behind White right now. Elliott brings experience and most importantly some size that'll help on short yardage and in the red zone.

Just no
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Apparently, the staff also seems to really like what Florida native and UDFA Brandon Walton showed last year during practice. I don't know if he's come far enough to earn a starting role, but the swing tackle position could be his. Or maybe he does earn the RT spot and Goedeke gets pushed inside to RG.

I think trying to count and Muach to start instantly is a little much. He's got a lot of what we like but he's still very much developing. And despite the trope that you can "just move the OT inside to the 'easier' OG position", we know it's not always a smooth and instant transition. I have a sneaky feeling he's Licht latest pet project for center.

I honestly don't think we wouldn't resign Jensen had Brady not returned. It was one of several Brady appeasement signings. Which I do understand, the GOAT wants to return you accommodate him. Too bad it was all moot as he was lost for the year anyway and now we're stuck with him post-Brady.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:20 pm
Naismith wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 am I'm probably reading too much into this but my first thought was that they still don't trust Trask to be the backup.
You're reading too much into it. It's dumb to carry just 2.
Yeah, I think I am because I don't believe Trask is a worthwhile project, so that's possibly biasing me. Usually when teams have two guys they are confident as 1-2, the third QB is more of a developmental one whereas this move seems more like bringing in a smart QB2.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:00 pm Apparently, the staff also seems to really like what Florida native and UDFA Brandon Walton showed last year during practice. I don't know if he's come far enough to earn a starting role, but the swing tackle position could be his. Or maybe he does earn the RT spot and Goedeke gets pushed inside to RG.

I think trying to count and Muach to start instantly is a little much. He's got a lot of what we like but he's still very much developing. And despite the trope that you can "just move the OT inside to the 'easier' OG position", we know it's not always a smooth and instant transition. I have a sneaky feeling he's Licht latest pet project for center.

I honestly don't think we wouldn't resign Jensen had Brady not returned. It was one of several Brady appeasement signings. Which I do understand, the GOAT wants to return you accommodate him. Too bad it was all moot as he was lost for the year anyway and now we're stuck with him post-Brady.

You atleast said his name and acknowledged that he is on our roster. I think an open competition for left tackle is how I would go.
I wish I knew who on our o-line worked crazy hard this offseason to hold or get a position.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:19 pm Licht is fooling only himself. If not Wirfs the. who? We quite literally have no one behind him at LT. Its Debatable whether or not we even had any other OT on this roster.
Justin Skule has 31 games and 12 starts, most or all the left tackle.

Walton did it last year in spots but it's fair to say he was disappointing.

I don't know why Licht is being coy about this. It sounds a lot like the Starting OL is going to be Wirfs - Feiler- Jensen - Mauch - Goedeke.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:56 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:19 pm Licht is fooling only himself. If not Wirfs the. who? We quite literally have no one behind him at LT. Its Debatable whether or not we even had any other OT on this roster.

I don't know why Licht is being coy about this. It sounds a lot like the Starting OL is going to be Wirfs - Feiler- Jensen - Mauch - Goedeke.
To be honest, Licht isn't the coach so he probably doesn't know exactly how the OL is going to shake out. That will be up to the coaches to decide at the end of the day. At least I'd hope that's who would have the final say.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:06 pm

To be honest, Licht isn't the coach so he probably doesn't know exactly how the OL is going to shake out. That will be up to the coaches to decide at the end of the day. At least I'd hope that's who would have the final say.
None of us are the coach and we all pretty much know how this is going to shake out.

Barring any unforseen incompetence Wirfs will be LT. We are giving that spot to a guy who was shit when he played last year at the spot. Nor are we giving it to a guy who last started a game I'm the Covid season.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Per Pewter Report and Joebucsfan, this is exactly the line that is penciled in for now.