Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by BucsNBills »

acmillis wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 am
BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:09 am Given that we're clearly trying to win this year, I'm not sure why we haven't brought in Calais Campbell for at least a visit. Yes he's older, but he's basically the perfect 5 tech and outplayed everyone on our dline last year with a 77 grade, including Vea. Logan Hall grades to a miserable 35 which is worse than the most jaggiest of jags.

Sign him to 1 year sealy, maybe 8 or 9 mil, throw 4 void years on, and fill a pretty huge void on the defense.

And no, before you reply, his cap hit down the road will never effect any decisions we have to make. It's an irrelevant amount of money that shouldn't even be considered.
You’ve suggested this already and it still makes no sense for this team, this year. Please stop.
Nothing we've done this year makes sense for this year, so why stop now? He fills a big hole on the team, he will cost practically nothing, and will only help us win games which is clearly what we're trying to do this year.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Campbell is in the Suh, Clowney, Gholston part of his career. Later wave free agents to fill in depth and rotations.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:49 am Amazing how everyone who yelled how anyone is better than Smith is now worried about the hole left behind.
This is a sick burn, considering the huge free agent contract Smith got last week. Has Fat Sack Of Crap even been in to visit a team yet?

So the good news is, if we want him back we should be able to get him in August for a cheeseburger.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:22 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:49 am Amazing how everyone who yelled how anyone is better than Smith is now worried about the hole left behind.
This is a sick burn, considering the huge free agent contract Smith got last week. Has Fat Sack Of Crap even been in to visit a team yet?

So the good news is, if we want him back we should be able to get him in August for a cheeseburger.
I said it before, I'll say it again. Get help. This is disturbing and I feel sorry for you.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Will D. Smith end up a team’s TC invite at this rate?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:22 am

No - because he would have even a greater unsaid reason of why he isnt performing well.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Imagine actually trying to claim vindication for being irrationally hateful towards Smith based on the current temperature of the OT market. A ton of OTs were set to hit the market, including 3 guys in their prime. Smith is past his and coming off a down and injured year. He's much closer to Lewan and Fant than Taylor or Brown. And you have a really great draft class coming out too.

This is the stage you Jason Peters it and sign on to a team in Aug/Sep.

Regardless, none of that will ever change the fact that the salty "we'll never win with Smith at LT" people were dead wrong.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:07 pm Imagine actually trying to claim vindication for being irrationally hateful towards Smith based on the current temperature of the OT market. A ton of OTs were set to hit the market, including 3 guys in their prime. Smith is past his and coming off a down and injured year. He's much closer to Lewan and Fant than Taylor or Brown. And you have a really great draft class coming out too.

Regardless, none of that will ever change the fact that the salty "we'll never win with Smith at LT" people were dead wrong.
Imagine thinking vindication is needed in the matter.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Dead wrong
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:07 pm Imagine actually trying to claim vindication for being irrationally hateful towards Smith based on the current temperature of the OT market. A ton of OTs were set to hit the market, including 3 guys in their prime. Smith is past his and coming off a down and injured year. He's much closer to Lewan and Fant than Taylor or Brown. And you have a really great draft class coming out too.

Your disgusting remarks would indicate otherwise honestly.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:44 pm
MJW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm

Your disgusting remarks would indicate otherwise honestly.
Holy shit dude, I hope he sees this.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Donovan Smith is 29 years old, why are we talking about him like he’s 35?

Because he never took football seriously enough to maximize his potential. And that’s why he draws people’s ire. Sure, he got rich. Sure, he has a ring. Doesn’t mean he can’t take criticism for being a lazy player who used the regular season to play himself into shape and is staring down his career being over by age 30.

Smith was content being good at his peak, not great. Taking his craft more seriously could’ve gotten him more money, accolades, and maybe even rings.

It is what it is.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Donovan Smith has nearly $64 million in career earnings. He didn't play his best ball last year, and apparently had off-field problems last season that have been alluded to but never elaborated upon.

Maybe he's done with football and onto the next chapter of his life. Even if Smith only has 10% of the money he has thus far earned, he would still get about $250k a year for life if he threw that remnant into a boring mutual fund and got a modest 4% return.

There's better and more important things than football. He has a wife and daughter. Maybe time with them is better than chasing money away from your family, destroying your knees for a game you may not love playing anymore. I imagine his best bud Ali Marpet also would counsel him thusly.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

$64M across 8 years during one of the dryest OTs periods of recent history. The pinnacle of "good enough".
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

How'd you make your first $64 Million?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Anyone see how big of a media tour Baker has been on since signing with us? Given that, I know it's technically a "competition" between he and Trask, but it's clearly Baker's job to lose at this point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:37 am Anyone see how big of a media tour Baker has been on since signing with us? Given that, I know it's technically a "competition" between he and Trask, but it's clearly Baker's job to lose at this point.
Yeah, I pretty much said and thought the same.

Bootz isn’t so sure. The Glazers never pass up an opportunity to milk some PR with “names.”

I can see it both ways. I think Baker’s veteran-ness and attitude have him as a shoe-in unless Trask really takes major steps and forces his way in. If it’s close, it’s Baker.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Baker is way more marketable rn. Doesn't mean anything on the field.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Eh, I don't see the official Bucs channels and media presence doing these high production interviews along with him being on most of the big time NFL media shows only to just give the job to Trask. This has all the trappings of an NFL team showing off their new starting QB.

Unless Baker shits the bed, he's our starter in 2023, no question.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's March.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

March is certainly the month the Bucs signed their starting QB for 2023 in.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Sorry, Doc. But I agree that it's Baker's job to lose. Money paid is the main reason. I don't buy it's an "open" competition. Sure...Trask could win the job if he's night & day better than BM, but if it's just close, BM will be the starter.

Per Spotrac:
Mayfield 2023 = $4,000,000 (includes $2,000,000 signing bonus)
Trask 2023 = $1,761,244 (includes $346,425 signing bonus)
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am Sorry, Doc. But I agree that it's Baker's job to lose. Money paid is the main reason. I don't buy it's an "open" competition. Sure...Trask could win the job if he's night & day better than BM, but if it's just close, BM will be the starter.

Per Spotrac:
In this case the money factor isn't one. It may be Mayfield's job to lose but the money paid is not going to decide who plays and who doesn't. Mayfield's incentives could be a reason NOT to play him.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:37 am Anyone see how big of a media tour Baker has been on since signing with us? Given that, I know it's technically a "competition" between he and Trask, but it's clearly Baker's job to lose at this point.
Bowles is trying to keep his job, he is going to roll with the veteran QB unless Mayfield just looks completely awful in camp. I don’t think Baker will have much of a leash at all though, the second it’s obvious that he isn’t giving us a chance to win then there is zero reason to give him snaps over Trask.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Money paid?? Money Paid??? Jesus Christ, we didn't give Baker a Carr or Jimmy deal here. They are both making peanuts with unknown 2024s.

If Bowles is trying to "keep his job" (which is a stupid phrase as if there are any trying to lose their job.... sit down Bill O'Brien) then he is going to go with whoever gives him the BEST CHANCE TO WIN.

Now, you can assume that will be the vet. It is an educated assumption, sure. But that's all it is. But that's because you are assuming as a vet he will be better in camp. And because he's better in camp he'll win the job. All fine guesses, but they are just that. Guesses.

Baker doesn't have to "look awful", Trask just needs to simply look better. Which is where your second assumption comes in, Trask can't look better than Baker. Which is an assumption like before but with a little more guesswork. Unless you are a Baker believer, but that doesn't sound like what's going on here.

Yes, of course, Bowles wants to win, so yes, he's going to put in the guy that looks better leading this offense. That is obvious.
To declare Baker that guy in March is just silly. Doubly so when your lynchpin argument is that his camp fodder contract is paying him more than Trask's rookie contract.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:57 am
Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am Sorry, Doc. But I agree that it's Baker's job to lose. Money paid is the main reason. I don't buy it's an "open" competition. Sure...Trask could win the job if he's night & day better than BM, but if it's just close, BM will be the starter.

Per Spotrac:
In this case the money factor isn't one. It may be Mayfield's job to lose but the money paid is not going to decide who plays and who doesn't. Mayfield's incentives could be a reason NOT to play him.
I can buy that.
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

This is honestly really good value for Gaines. Sportrac had him projected at around seven million in a free agency deal and we landed him nearly half that. Solid move from Licht.

I think a dirt cheap veteran safety is still in the cards. Keanu Neal returning a strong possibility there. I also think a veteran minimum WR for depth and camp competition. Any other moves we make are going to be dirt cheap competition for the rookies we are going to draft next month.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:03 pm

This is honestly really good value for Gaines. Sportrac had him projected at around seven million in a free agency deal and we landed him nearly half that. Solid move from Licht.

I think a dirt cheap veteran safety is still in the cards. Keanu Neal returning a strong possibility there. I also think a veteran minimum WR for depth and camp competition. Any other moves we make are going to be dirt cheap competition for the rookies we are going to draft next month.
I agree with you about the need for additional veteran safety depth. The only other safety on the roster besides AWJ is Nolan Turner, a practice squadie in his sophomore season outta Clemson who didn't see the field last year. I would expect that we draft a rookie to round out the room, but another vet here would be wise.

As far as receiver, I don't agree with you. We have a pretty solid starting three in Evans, Godwin, and Gage. I like Thompkins as a developmental guy at four. We already spend the sixth-most in the NFL on the wide receiver position at $38 million. Could Licht in good conscience sign another veteran? Maybe for a no-name or has-been guy with zero guaranteed money who may not make it out of camp I guess, but I wonder if maybe adding a developmental rookie here if we really felt strongly about it may not be the more prudent choice.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Cheb wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:40 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:03 pm

I agree with you about the need for additional veteran safety depth. The only other safety on the roster besides AWJ is Nolan Turner, a practice squadie in his sophomore season outta Clemson who didn't see the field last year. I would expect that we draft a rookie to round out the room, but another vet here would be wise.

As far as receiver, I don't agree with you. We have a pretty solid starting three in Evans, Godwin, and Gage. I like Thompkins as a developmental guy at four. We already spend the sixth-most in the NFL on the wide receiver position at $38 million. Could Licht in good conscience sign another veteran? Maybe for a no-name or has-been guy with zero guaranteed money who may not make it out of camp I guess, but I wonder if maybe adding a developmental rookie here if we really felt strongly about it may not be the more prudent choice.
I’m talking about a veteran minimum type of player. Not a Julio Jones type of signing. We need someone to compete with Thompkins and rookies for a roster spot and depth. I’m guessing guys like Scotty and Perriman won’t be out there in camp so we need someone to compete for the spots they held.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Surprised this didn’t happen sooner.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:10 pm

Maybe we tried to swing a trade? Not sure. But this was arguably the most obvious of our cuts. He's a kicker making over $3mil a year that is worthless on kickoffs and from 48 yards+.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I asked about him last week. Couldn't believe he hadn't been released.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:39 am
Yeah, I pretty much said and thought the same.

Bootz isn’t so sure. The Glazers never pass up an opportunity to milk some PR with “names.”

I can see it both ways. I think Baker’s veteran-ness and attitude have him as a shoe-in unless Trask really takes major steps and forces his way in. If it’s close, it’s Baker.
No, he's clearly our starting QB. Trask was never the answer and OBP knew it. Why else wouldn't you play him week 18 after all starters were pulled early, Brady included, to see what he could do?

They signed Baker to a 1 year contract that could potentially be twice as much as Trask's rookie deal combined. He's the starter baring injury.

It's also true that the Glazers are going to take advantage of his "star" power. He's been a polarizing, if not controversial player since college. He hasn't done anything worth a damn in the pros yet he's been in more commercials than Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen despite playing in Cleveland. Baker is great marketability and anyone who believes the brothers/sister Glazer won't take advantage knows nothing about that family.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:10 pm

Guy was pivotal in our SB run and will always have my gratitude. Too bad he can’t kick further than 45 yards.

He was 28/31 in 2020 (90%) and only had 1 of those misses in a game we lost, week 1 vs the Saints. His misses were stomping the Lions 47-7 and beating the chargers 38-31. A kicker that good is a blessing.

After three years in Tampa, Ryan Succop leaves as the most accurate field-goal kicker in Bucs history -- went 84-for-99, or 84.8 percent. That breaks the mark previously held by Connor Barth, who hit 83.8 percent.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Wouldn't mind adding this monster to the Dline. Robinson and Vea playing next to each other would be fun to watch.