Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Snake »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:55 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:07 am Will we get 17 games out of Baker?
That would guarantee that the Bucs get the first pick in the 2024 NFL draft. Consider this, the Carolina Panthers were a much better team after they cut Mayfield.
You got it all wrong. See, baker’s been screwed over by the systems that he’s played in his entire career. Sans one season.

the one year that he played pretty well. In which that offense produced a fantastic offensive line, and the best running game in the NFL.

Baker Mayfield is a really good quarterback when you don’t ask him to do anything difficult and give him amazing support. Exactly what you look for in a quarterback that you draft number one overall.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

That would guarantee that the Bucs get the first pick in the 2024 NFL draft. Consider this, the Carolina Panthers were a much better team after they cut Mayfield.
I’d predict that he’ll have played pretty well if he starts all 17. If he doesn’t play well we’ll see Trask at some point, and I’d guess we’d be in the running for the ever so coveted #1 pick in that scenario.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

And traded McCaffrey, they are both bums!
Snake

Post by Snake »

This team knows it’s doomed with Trash/Baker.
During a recent interview on "The Richard Sherman Podcast," Winfield said he thinks the Bucs might have reached out to Brady to talk about a possible return.

"I'm sure we're still reaching out to him trying to see if he's trying to come back to the team," Winfield said the Buccaneers front office, via Joe Bucs Fan. "Hey, it could happen. Anything's possible."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom- ... etirement/
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Turn the page.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:22 am Turn the page.
Well you walk into a restaurant,
Strung out from the road.
And you can feel the eyes upon you,
While you're shaking off the cold...
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:58 am This team knows it’s doomed with Trash/Baker.
During a recent interview on "The Richard Sherman Podcast," Winfield said he thinks the Bucs might have reached out to Brady to talk about a possible return.

"I'm sure we're still reaching out to him trying to see if he's trying to come back to the team," Winfield said the Buccaneers front office, via Joe Bucs Fan. "Hey, it could happen. Anything's possible."
The Bucs would be foolish to do this. Thankfully, we are too broke to sign Brady even if he wanted to come back.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:57 am
Snake wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:58 am This team knows it’s doomed with Trash/Baker.

The Bucs would be foolish to do this. Thankfully, we are too broke to sign Brady even if he wanted to come back.
Actually the Bucs are paying Brady for this year. The only thing that would happen to sign Brady would be to add years to his contract that would result in the Bucs being in salary cap hell for years. Not a good idea.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:09 am
Cheb wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:57 am

Actually the Bucs are paying Brady for this year. The only thing that would happen to sign Brady would be to add years to his contract that would result in the Bucs being in salary cap hell for years. Not a good idea.
Yep. $35mil cap hit, by far the largest on the team and interestingly in Bucs history. For a guy who's retired.

#Itsabucslife
Most hated man in America.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:09 am
Yep. $35mil cap hit, by far the largest on the team and interestingly in Bucs history. For a guy who's retired.

#Itsabucslife
It was worth it.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Who is your final cut player that you might be able to get from the other 31 teams?

Yes, I have a small list.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:23 am Who is your final cut player that you might be able to get from the other 31 teams?

Yes, I have a small list.
Let's see it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

_MB_ wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:45 am
Bootz wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm

#Itsabucslife
It was worth it.
So worth it.
And the cap hell will be over far quicker than the McKay era.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

They already put the Creamsickle Brady jerseys on the team store website.

What does it cost the management to try to bring back the best player who's ever laced up for one last dance, free of the massive load of crap that comes with being in the middle of a nasty divorce? Even with the crappy quarterbacks we have, we have a fair chance of winning the South and making the playoffs, with even a declining Brady in there we would have a chance to advance in the playoffs and a small but not zero chance at that elusive 8th Lombardi for the GOAT.

So hell yes I would take back Tom and see what both our healthier O-line, and someone who can actually call plays on offense, can do with him one last time. Another year of cap hell is worth it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:57 am

What does it cost the management to try to bring back the best player who's ever laced up for one last dance, free of the massive load of crap that comes with being in the middle of a nasty divorce? Even with the crappy quarterbacks we have, we have a fair chance of winning the South and making the playoffs, with even a declining Brady in there we would have a chance to advance in the playoffs and a small but not zero chance at that elusive 8th Lombardi for the GOAT.

So hell yes I would take back Tom and see what both our healthier O-line, and someone who can actually call plays on offense, can do with him one last time. Another year of cap hell is worth it.
Tom announced he was returning on March 13th last year. It's July 18th. Not happening, and if for some ridiculous reason it did, it would be an even worse disaster for him and this organization than it was last year. We need to move on.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I guess that settle the QB debate

We all knew Baker Mayfield win the starting job
Tampa Bay linebacker Lavonte David spoke this week on what he’s seen from Mayfield through offseason workouts, saying that he already likes what he has observed in the 28-year-old’s approach to his new team and is excited to see what the QB competition brings out of him.
“Obviously, Baker, already he’s been ‘the guy’ and, you know, he’s expected to live up to what everybody expected him to be,” David said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via joebucsfan.com. “Baker is great for our locker room. I like the way Baker carries himself coming in with a ready-to-work mentality. Everybody loves him already and the way he approaches practice is great to see. So there’s definitely some great things to see out of Baker. He’s a guy who’s done it before -- took his team to the playoffs and done some great things so far.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Baker is a natural leader. Regardless of his play, he will have followers in a locker room on personality and approach.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:55 pm Baker is a natural leader. Regardless of his play, he will have followers in a locker room on personality and approach.
And he will still flame out on the field.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:02 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:55 pm Baker is a natural leader. Regardless of his play, he will have followers in a locker room on personality and approach.
And he will still flame out on the field.
Exactly. Baker will play four unremarkable games, then have the patented Baker Magic Moment that leads to an emotional win. Which serves as confirmation bias for his locker room contingent and his fans.

“if he becomes a bit more consistent…” or “if they could just run the ‘down 10 points offense’ every series, he’d be an all-pro!” becomes the narrative.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:15 am

Tom announced he was returning on March 13th last year. It's July 18th. Not happening, and if for some ridiculous reason it did, it would be an even worse disaster for him and this organization than it was last year. We need to move on.
I'm not disagreeing that it's not happening, the chances he would return are so small that it's just a conversation piece at this point. Just putting my point of view while wishing Tom a great year off from football before he heads into the studio next year. I am disagreeing that it would be ridiculous, when we have an also-ran and a permanent third-teamer as our options right now. Hell he could walk in in mid-October and he'd probably be better than those guys in midseason form.

But as you point out, it's a moot point, I'm just mooting I guess.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Phantom wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:45 pm I guess that settle the QB debate

We all knew Baker Mayfield win the starting job
Tampa Bay linebacker Lavonte David spoke this week on what he’s seen from Mayfield through offseason workouts, saying that he already likes what he has observed in the 28-year-old’s approach to his new team and is excited to see what the QB competition brings out of him.
“Obviously, Baker, already he’s been ‘the guy’ and, you know, he’s expected to live up to what everybody expected him to be,” David said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via joebucsfan.com. “Baker is great for our locker room. I like the way Baker carries himself coming in with a ready-to-work mentality. Everybody loves him already and the way he approaches practice is great to see. So there’s definitely some great things to see out of Baker. He’s a guy who’s done it before -- took his team to the playoffs and done some great things so far.
Not necessarily. He also said:

“So the competition with those guys is going to be very, very competitive, and I’m glad to be a part of it.”

https://gridironheroics.com/buccaneers- ... -mayfield/

That being said, it’s fair to say the worst kept secret at One Buc Place is that Baker is expected to win the job.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

I think the only way Brady comes back is if late in the season a team lost their QB heading to the playoffs and he went in as a mercenary to save them.

I think it’d also have to be a team that he felt he was a fit for due to the lack of prep.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

This would in essence repeat last season, and Tom Brady was not playing good football down the stretch.

In Brady's last seven games as a Buc in December and January, he had 14 TDs and 11 turnovers en route to a 3-4 record, with one of those wins being an overtime squeaker against an objectively horrible 4-11 Cardinals team led by Trace fucking McSorley.

Tom's time has come and gone. Glad he was a Buc, best QB in team history, thanks for the memories and the Lombardi, et cetera et cetera. But it's time for him and us to move on to better and brighter futures.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

(bows)

Y'all are probably right. Let's hope we never have to find out.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:10 pm

This would in essence repeat last season, and Tom Brady was not playing good football down the stretch.
The circumstances have changed considerably, so I don’t think it would be a repeat of last season at all. It’s why I wanted him back for one more year.

It wasn’t to be. At this point it’s not happening, so we all just need to move on.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:30 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:10 pm

The circumstances have changed considerably, so I don’t think it would be a repeat of last season at all. It’s why I wanted him back for one more year.

It wasn’t to be. At this point it’s not happening, so we all just need to move on.
I disagree on the first part. TB12, like all other older players before him, finally had that moment where Father Time caught up with him and his play took a steep decline.

That being said, I agree with the second part of your post. He's done playing football and we need to move on to the post TB12 era. Bucs fans will always remember him fondly after he made history leading this team to a Super Bowl win on their home turf.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Also, I thought I read somewhere that if Tom really does own a piece of a team, he cannot play for any other team, so unless he's going to unseat Jimmy G (again, I guess), then it ain't happening.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:13 pm
Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:30 pm

I disagree on the first part. TB12, like all other older players before him, finally had that moment where Father Time caught up with him and his play took a steep decline.
He undoubtedly had a decline last year, but I don’t think his personal performance dropped off as much as it appeared. There was just too much to overcome. Much like his final year in NE, he could have played better, but the failures and issues around him compounded and magnified everything.

None of us will ever know which errant passes were effectively throw aways, poor route running, broken down communication, or bad passes.

Regardless, we’ll also never know what could have been if last year wasn’t a complete dumpster fire.

It’s like the team was cursed.

But if that was the price to pay for having the GOAT bring home the Lombardi, it was worth every heartbreaking moment.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:07 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:13 pm

He undoubtedly had a decline last year, but I don’t think his personal performance dropped off as much as it appeared. There was just too much to overcome. Much like his final year in NE, he could have played better, but the failures and issues around him compounded and magnified everything.

None of us will ever know which errant passes were effectively throw aways, poor route running, broken down communication, or bad passes.

Regardless, we’ll also never know what could have been if last year wasn’t a complete dumpster fire.

It’s like the team was cursed.

But if that was the price to pay for having the GOAT bring home the Lombardi, it was worth every heartbreaking moment.
I've never seen receivers with less separation, at any level, ever. I imagine it's very tough to be playing behind a shit line when even your safety valves were blanketed.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

between the awful WR play, the porous o-line, the awful game planning and play calling…

Brady was finished!!

But seriously, he throws for 40+ TDs THIS season if you put him in KC or equivalent.
Bahamian:bucfan

Post by Bahamian:bucfan »

Hi everyone. I pray that all is well with you and your families.

Please, all this Brady talk needs to stop now! I am actually excited about my BUCS again! Brady need to stay wherever he is and stay away from my BUCS.

As most of you know, I did not want him here in the first place, and when he came here I was not pleased with it, and I truly am not pleased with the Lombardi because of him. I am grateful that we got it but I will continue to say that we won the Lombardi because of our defense ( not Brady).

So again, please stop this Brady talk. I am enjoying the fact that I can truly enjoy my Buccaneers again.

Oh and by the way, I think we will shock the NFL this year. I see us as one of the top tier teams this year.

Go BUCS!
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bahamian:bucfan wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:04 pm Hi everyone. I pray that all is well with you and your families.

Please, all this Brady talk needs to stop now! I am actually excited about my BUCS again! Brady need to stay wherever he is and stay away from my BUCS.

As most of you know, I did not want him here in the first place, and when he came here I was not pleased with it, and I truly am not pleased with the Lombardi because of him. I am grateful that we got it but I will continue to say that we won the Lombardi because of our defense ( not Brady).

So again, please stop this Brady talk. I am enjoying the fact that I can truly enjoy my Buccaneers again.

Oh and by the way, I think we will shock the NFL this year. I see us as one of the top tier teams this year.

Go BUCS!
Why don’t you like Brady? Legit question.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bahamian:bucfan wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:04 pm Hi everyone. I pray that all is well with you and your families.

Go BUCS!
You should try to find peace with a few indisputable facts:

Brady will forever be talked about, especially by Bucs fans.

He is the greatest QB and winner in the history of the sport.

He chose to come here and he led us to a Super Bowl.

The defense played great during that postseason run, especially in the Super Bowl, but unequivocally : that was Brady’s team.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:07 pm

Go BUCS!
I'm curious if he had this much of a grudge against Jameis or AB. Character-wise they are far far worse than Brady.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Obsolete wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:42 am
Snake wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:07 pm

I'm curious if he had this much of a grudge against Jameis or AB. Character-wise they are far far worse than Brady.
He thinks Brady is a cheater, and I rightfully did as well before he left New England. But then he came here, and Tampa is the losingest franchise in NFL history. And he won a Super Bowl with them and had the defense actually stepped up in 2021, he would've won another.

He really was that good.