Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:40 pm Just in: Bucs have no intention to trade White
per Pelissero, the Bucs “don’t intend” to trade him
Being how Toilet Bowles blew him at a presser last month, I'm not surprised.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:49 pm Well, if Devin White wants out, I wish him the best of luck.

As far as compensation we could expect, the Devin White situation's closest recent comp is Roquan Smith from Chicago to Baltimore. The Bears got a second and fifth round pick as well as a backup linebacker for trading Smith.

Imo that would be shitty value for White, but if that's all we can get I guess it's okay?
This. Turning a top 5 pick into a 2nd is a major indictment on the organization, not the player. ESPECIALLY when it's the exact same FO and coaching staff that drafted you.

White was the 1st draft pick this regime made and he wants out 4 years later. This isn't the ideal situation fans want to believe it is. Trading him does not make this a better team.
Most hated man in America.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:18 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:49 pm Well, if Devin White wants out, I wish him the best of luck.

As far as compensation we could expect, the Devin White situation's closest recent comp is Roquan Smith from Chicago to Baltimore. The Bears got a second and fifth round pick as well as a backup linebacker for trading Smith.

Imo that would be shitty value for White, but if that's all we can get I guess it's okay?
This. Turning a top 5 pick into a 2nd is a major indictment on the organization, not the player. ESPECIALLY when it's the exact same FO and coaching staff that drafted you.

White was the 1st draft pick this regime made and he wants out 4 years later. This isn't the ideal situation fans want to believe it is. Trading him does not make this a better team.
Signing him to a massive extension doesn’t make this a better team too. Getting some extra draft picks and saving the cap space will give the Bucs a better chance of being good going forward than giving into the demands of an inconsistent player.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:29 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:18 pm

Signing him to a massive extension doesn’t make this a better team too. Getting some extra draft picks and saving the cap space will give the Bucs a better chance of being good going forward than giving into the demands of an inconsistent player.
What? Extending a player that's already on the team doesn't make the team better? That's retard logic at best. It makes no sense.

Bottomline: The second he's traded, this defense gets worse. It really is as simple as that. If you can guarantee that cap space and draft picks in place of DW will result in the team being better, do so. But you won't.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Where did this suddenly come from with White? Publicly asking to be traded is a big deal
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:46 pm Where did this suddenly come from with White? Publicly asking to be traded is a big deal
Laws of deduction would say he and his camp have been pushing for a big extension for a while and finally realized TB isn’t gonna give him one. Easier to get traded and signed to a new deal before the draft.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Given the way Licht routinely gets fleeced in trades I'm fully expecting us to get a 2024 6th round pick in exchange for DW & a 7th.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:05 pm Given the way Licht routinely gets fleeced in trades I'm fully expecting us to get a 2024 6th round pick in exchange for DW & a 7th.
Great trades for Mankins and JPP. Draft trades up or down netting Marpet/Vea/Davis/Dean/Edwards/Wirfs. What trades has he been fleeced in?
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Devin White does give a dimension few teams have at MLB. His speed let's him do things not many guys cam do. However, his game computer has never gotten better.

We can get a far more fundamentally sound guy who just isn't the freak athlete as DW, for much less too. The money we would spend on DW could be better spent on an OL, DL or a CB.

Or, trade him and Baker for Lamar Jackson lol. Do it Dom!
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Didn't he trade for a free agent a few years back?? Free agent that sucked here???
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:23 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:05 pm Given the way Licht routinely gets fleeced in trades I'm fully expecting us to get a 2024 6th round pick in exchange for DW & a 7th.
Great trades for Mankins and JPP. Draft trades up or down netting Marpet/Vea/Davis/Dean/Edwards/Wirfs. What trades has he been fleeced in?
Don't forget Gronk as well. Though some haters will still call it a "misallocation of resources".
Snake

Post by Snake »

Gronk was good value. But he wasn’t playing anywhere else. So Licht had NE over a barrel because Brady was on the team.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Being a bit optimistic there are you?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:12 pm

Don't forget Gronk as well. Though some haters will still call it a "misallocation of resources".
One of the better ones. Albeit can’t give Licht TOO much credit for that one.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

The sunk cost of “we spent a top pick on Devin, Licht would suck for getting less”

We spent a high pick on White and got a REALLY good season out of him. White was a star in our superbowl run, I don’t think anyone can deny that. We got value, good value out of our pick. I know 1st rounders especially top 1st rounders are expected to be there for years and years, but the reality is a lot of them end up busting. White helped lead us to a superbowl and I’ll trade an early first for that any day of the week. I would trade first overall for a superbowl, would you not? So I’d say 1st round 5th overall has lived up to expectations and we can now mutually part ways.

It’s not like we’re gonna trade him for a second or a third or whatever and have not gotten anything out of him. But we’re obviously not going to get anything close to 1st round 5 overall for a used Devin White and that is not something to hang over Licht’s head as a failure
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

https://atozsports.com/tampa-bay/buccan ... -nfl-news/

This article sums it up pretty well. Devin hasn't shown that he's worth what he thinks he's worth. I think they should let it play out this year and see how he responds. If he balls out and you want to keep him slap the tag on him for a year or two. He doesn't control the situation and they shouldn't feel pressured to cave in to his demands.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:45 pm

What? Extending a player that's already on the team doesn't make the team better? That's retard logic at best. It makes no sense.

Bottomline: The second he's traded, this defense gets worse. It really is as simple as that. If you can guarantee that cap space and draft picks in place of DW will result in the team being better, do so. But you won't.
No it doesn't. Devin White sucks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Al Bundy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:15 pm

No it doesn't. Devin White sucks.
So how does it get better with him being traded? Enlighten me.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

This team gets worse by having his salary go through the roof and make it difficult to keep and add players. He’s already going to the media with trade demands over contract talks so you can’t rely on him to play nice and restructure his deal like everyone else either.

It goes beyond whether or not our defense instantly gets better or worse with him in the lineup. The contract he’s asking for has potential to cripple this franchise and I don’t think he’s good enough or plays an important enough position to deserve it.

As for how it would impact us immediately, I think we would get by better than people expect. He made some nice splash plays but he also made a habit of being out of position and getting toyed with by opposing RB/TEs. I think he can be quietly replaced and this defense would still be in the top half of the league depending on health.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:34 pm Hot stove heating up. Devin showing the true colors.
With respect, he’s been showing them for his whole career outside of the SB Playoff stretch and a couple of handfuls and change (about 12ish) of Reg Season games. At 68 games played total, his (net positive) “difference-maker” ratio is not close to good enough. Not for 10 mil, not for 15 mil, and certainly not for 20.

Devin being a player who makes loads of mistakes in coverage, in read/react/discipline/stack & shed for run fits B to B, who misses too many tackles in Spill/Fill due to lack of pursuit discipline on the edge, who gets wrong-footed out of plays due to set-dressing, and who doesn’t finish nearly enough plays that are set up for him to make due to scheming them for his position (this defense does that for his position and the overhang/box DB)…well, its about the biggest Nate Diaz “I’m not surprised mother fucker” of all time.

I’m not sure its possible to make up for his % of defense-compromising, assignment-unsound snaps, but, if it is, his play-making has to annually more than double (from 5.5 Sacks annually to 11, from 3 Picks total RS to 8-10, and from an average of 41 Run Stops annually to about 43).

And I guess we shouldn’t be surprised by this trade demand because of what he was saying right around the draft about getting paid 20 M or whatever (pre or post I can’t recall when). Folks were writing that off to confidence and swagger at the time, but here we are.

“Thank you very much for the All Pro value, 3 game stretch during the SB Playoffs, Devin (if that was anywhere near within sightline of being normative, then everyone would be happy to shell out 16 Mil for the ILB position).” Hopefully we can get a 3rd and maybe a 6th for him and draft his replacement.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Nobody

Do one on KJ Britt now.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kudos to JL and the organization for knowing his value and not giving in. Saying behind the scenes, “if you want that contract, perform better in these areas.” He hasn’t.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:56 am @Nobody

Do one on KJ Britt now.
Do one? Breakdown?

The options aren’t (and shouldn’t be) $20 mil, profoundly overrated ILB (but optically desirable for some folks) and JAG ILB with neither juice, nor impressive processing, not ability as a coverage defender. There is a titanic excluded middle between those two.

If White is gone, I’d probably be looking at drafting Campbell/Sanders mid-late 2, Williams in 3rd, or Pace in 4th.

So, a draft for me might look like this:

1: Trade back late 1st and pick up 2nd rounder. Take OT Harrison, OG Torrence, or iDL Smith.

2: Best Edge or DB. If ILB Campbell is there mid rd 2, take him with that accrued pick in trade back (spending 5th to move up a few slots if need be).

3: If you didn’t take Campbell with that extra 2, take ILB Williams here. If he’s off the board, go DB and then take Pace round 4.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:26 am Kudos to JL and the organization for knowing his value and not giving in. Saying behind the scenes, “if you want that contract, perform better in these areas.” He hasn’t.
Not giving in to what exactly?

If he's not a valuable player, you don't keep him at $11mil+. You cut your losses.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Nobody
What are your thoughts on Yasir Abdullah and Marte Mapu?

And do you think Byron Young could play inside backer?
Seems to me we could improve our depth and special teams with some of these linebackers - maybe be a precursor for takeover when LVD and White are no longer here.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Waiting...
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:57 am

Waiting...
Well? Last year Julio was a good one.

Shoulda wrote AB's contract out with some kind of protection.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:28 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:26 am Kudos to JL and the organization for knowing his value and not giving in. Saying behind the scenes, “if you want that contract, perform better in these areas.” He hasn’t.

If he's not a valuable player, you don't keep him at $11mil+. You cut your losses.
An extension, clearly. They're locked in to the $11.7M. You don't "cut your losses" and take an $11M dead cap hit for spite. Trade him, sure, but they don't have to.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:07 am
Buc2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:57 am

Waiting...

Neither of those players were traded for.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Except for that 11M is fully guaranteed, so it doesn't make sense to outright cut him.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:10 am

I didnt read all the posts - sorry.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:10 am

I think those that say he's always on the losing end of trades are letting the Aguayo draft where he traded 2 picks to move up to the 2nd round cloud their judgment.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:09 am

An extension, clearly. They're locked in to the $11.7M. You don't "cut your losses" and take an $11M dead cap hit for spite. Trade him, sure, but they don't have to.
If the team would be better without him, commonsense says trade him and get the best deal you can. You're kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth here.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:40 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:09 am

If the team would be better without him, commonsense says trade him and get the best deal you can. You're kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth here.
You're being obtuse. Of course, you know that though.

Every player at this level has value depending on their contract. An extension and what amounts to $15M+ per year (I think Devin has been quoted saying $20M), no. That's ridiculous. There's no value there. Which is what OBP is saying.

Devin is still being paid as an elite LBer (Around 10th highest) for 2023. I think OBP can live with that and he can help them win at that number for one year+, and they'd probably extend him in the low teens per year if he'd take it. Honestly, we don't know if they've even made him an offer.

Better off without him for 2023 (probably not) and better off without him on a long term deal at $20M per year (certainly yes they are) are not the same damn thing.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »