Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Naismith

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Naismith »

What do people think Evans would fetch in a trade? Something like a 2nd and a 5th?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:07 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:29 pm

LVD and Evans are Buccaneers through and through. There isn’t an analytic for lore, or legendary careers. It’s ineffable.

I personally find it valuable and think them retiring as career Bucs would be cool. I hold Ronde in a different esteem for that. Not sure about others.
Agreed.

I think the NFL should institute a "Legacy tag," wherein a single player who has been on the team for 7 or 8 years has their cap number become discounted. Let's say player X makes $20 million a year, but the team chooses to use their Legacy tag on him because he's a franchise cornerstone, so the team gets a 20-40% discount on that number. The player gets paid the same, the team saves 4-8 million on the cap, and it gives an incentive to keep aging players who you want to still keep around. One could only do this for one player per season, so that people couldn't just hoard all their aging vets.

Feel free to adjust those numbers around a bit, but I think something like that would be wildly popular.
I love that idea if a player is drafted to that team.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Of course it will. Pretty much a lock to go to your QB post rookie deal if you drafted him. But being on the same team for 8 years is a high bar. How many players would even qualify for that?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:25 pm Of course it will. Pretty much a lock to go to your QB post rookie deal if you drafted him. But being on the same team for 8 years is a high bar. How many players would even qualify for that?
I think the longevity is the point. Correct me if I’m wrong, @Cheb, but the idea behind such a tag is rewarding a team and to an extent the player for being there for a long period of time. Kind of like an AARP discount.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:24 pm

Agreed.

I think the NFL should institute a "Legacy tag," wherein a single player who has been on the team for 7 or 8 years has their cap number become discounted. Let's say player X makes $20 million a year, but the team chooses to use their Legacy tag on him because he's a franchise cornerstone, so the team gets a 20-40% discount on that number. The player gets paid the same, the team saves 4-8 million on the cap, and it gives an incentive to keep aging players who you want to still keep around. One could only do this for one player per season, so that people couldn't just hoard all their aging vets.

Feel free to adjust those numbers around a bit, but I think something like that would be wildly popular.
I love that idea if a player is drafted to that team.
I thought about that, but then that means that Eli Manning wouldn't have qualified for the Giants, or Favre for the Packers, or Elway for the Broncos, or Brees for the Saints among some examples. And I think those franchises could rightly say that the player in question is Their Guy, regardless of who drafted him, so if they want to use their Legacy Tag in him they should be able to. Couldn't blame them for that.

In regards to this tag being exclusively used for QBs, it could be used for some for sure. Though in the NFC South for example, no QB would be eligible.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Right. But as soon as you could you probably would as its a landslide more expensive. Likely be am easy enough formula. Teams would then redo contracts to best maximize a tag discount on someone. It would be interesting.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The unintended consequences would be pretty crazy
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:09 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:01 pm Doesnt every extension add guaranteed money to the player
Yes
So how much money do we owe ME in 2023 and 2024? I kinda thought players were going to get paid for a long time after they left.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:11 pm

Agreed.

That would immediately be used to pay monster contracts.
A $4M-$8M discount isn't going to be that much of a help for teams to pay monster contracts.
Don't tread on me
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Anyone know if you can add void years onto a rookies contract? Since we're stuck with DWs 5th year option, I'm wondering if Licht could tack on some void years and do the signing bonus jam to get his cap number down. Would probably net us like $8ish mil, which isn't a ton, but that could potentially used to sign a decent player.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Anything White signs from here would be an extension, in which case yes, you can add void years and shift numbers around. But that would also likely come with a huge payday too. Which is he is due, but I'd much rather milk a cheap $11M year out of him if he'll let us, before extending him. Or maybe slapping the non-exclusive on him.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:26 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:35 am

While I'm not optimistic about the 2023 season, I'm happier going into the season with the Bucs QB situation than the other 3.
It's a "tallest midget" kinda thing, but sure. Trask is the highest drafted youngster in that bunch, and we don't have any cap space tied up in a shitty 2015 top two draft pick.
Oh, that's all it is, absolutely.
BearLandBucFan

Post by BearLandBucFan »

We are in obvious Cap Hell. Will most of that get resolved if Brady signs a one-day contract?
MJW

Post by MJW »

BearLandBucFan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:12 pm We are in obvious Cap Hell. Will most of that get resolved if Brady signs a one-day contract?
It will help a great deal. It will spread that $35 mil hit over 2 years. Normally I'd want to take the entire hit now and get it over with, but we also have to, you know, field a 53 man roster.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 am
BearLandBucFan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:12 pm We are in obvious Cap Hell. Will most of that get resolved if Brady signs a one-day contract?
It will help a great deal. It will spread that $35 mil hit over 2 years. Normally I'd want to take the entire hit now and get it over with, but we also have to, you know, field a 53 man roster.
According to Auman Brady has already filed his retirement paperwork which means we have to eat that full 35M this season.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I have some question as to who will want our 25 free agents

Out of those 25, who do we want
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Random question: what percentage of Div I players actually come into the league with a useful degree?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:37 am
MJW wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 am

According to Auman Brady has already filed his retirement paperwork which means we have to eat that full 35M this season.
I've read that paperwork is non-binding, so it's possible he'll still do such a thing, but who knows?
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:37 am I have some question as to who will want our 25 free agents

Dean should be the highest priority as far as keeping our own. You don't let young corners that good leave.
I'd love to see LVD retire here, but I don't see how we can make that work TBH.
Gholston should be commended for his service and set free.
I'd like to keep them both, but Nelson and Edwards are likely luxury items we can't afford.
Stinnie, Leverett, and Nacho should be brought back at the right price.
Anyone I didn't mention amongst the UFAs can go.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:22 am
Primeminister wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:37 am

I've read that paperwork is non-binding, so it's possible he'll still do such a thing, but who knows?
It’s non-binding in the sense that if he wants to return to play he can file and “unretire”. But once that paperwork is filed, he cannot negotiate or re-negociate any contract with any team. Would he “unretire” to give the Nucs cap relief? Who knows.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:38 am
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:37 am I have some question as to who will want our 25 free agents

Dean should be the highest priority as far as keeping our own. You don't let young corners that good leave.
I'd love to see LVD retire here, but I don't see how we can make that work TBH.
Gholston should be commended for his service and set free.
I'd like to keep them both, but Nelson and Edwards are likely luxury items we can't afford.
Stinnie, Leverett, and Nacho should be brought back at the right price.
Anyone I didn't mention amongst the UFAs can go.
Brady
LVD
Hicks
and Jones are our only free agents over 5 mil and everyone under that would like more money. Every hopeful in the country should be flying to Tampa for their 500,000 to one mil contract. Otherwise next year is when the big boys leave.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm sorry.... is there a reason we're all overlooking Stinnie, who was sorely missed last year?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:15 am I'm sorry.... is there a reason we're all overlooking Stinnie, who was sorely missed last year?
Yes, because he’s trash.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:15 am I'm sorry.... is there a reason we're all overlooking Stinnie, who was sorely missed last year?
Stinnie getting blown up in training camp is the reason we lost Jensen for the year. He can fuck off elsewhere.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ironic since Jensen has been a vocal champion for Stinnie, who costs like $1M.

It should be a lay up. Best case he's depth again.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

There’s several sources that say Todd Monken chose Ravens over Bucs. Damn it

Lamar Jackson or Kyle Trask? John Harbaugh or Todd Bowles? Yup exactly
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:45 pm There’s several sources that say Todd Monken chose Ravens over Bucs. Damn it

Our guy was going to come from one of three places:
1) An unemployed Retread type who is just happy to have another shot.
2) A second tier candidate who wasn't going to rise any further with his current team.
3) One of Arians's college friends.

Canales was the second one, which is by far the best of the three. As soon as there was legit competition for Monken, that was that. This is just a bad situation. Bad coach on a short leash. No established QB. Bad line. No cap room to go shopping with.

My guess is Canales took this job knowing that if it goes sideways, he can likely go back to the famously loyal Pete Carroll anyway. And if he makes good, it's a warp zone to HC consideration, considing where we're at.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:45 pm There’s several sources that say Todd Monken chose Ravens over Bucs. Damn it

Welcome to the world of media. Two sides meet but don't get a deal done, someone retweets some unfounded or presumptive claim over it, and it makes the rounds.

It also is far from a sure thing that Lamar is playing for the Ravens week 1.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Albert Breer thinks the Patriots could trade Mac Jones

Might be a potential solution for us at QB.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:32 pm Albert Breer thinks the Patriots could trade Mac Jones

Let's not curse the kid by making him follow up Tom Brady twice.

TBH I'd rather have Baker Mayfield.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:34 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:32 pm Albert Breer thinks the Patriots could trade Mac Jones

This has to be a joke
Most hated man in America.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:53 pm
_MB_ wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:34 pm

This has to be a joke
You're gonna wrestle with it either way so have at it.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Unless an astounding opportunity arises, this is not the time to be trading assets for a quarterback, for a ton of reasons.
Let's roll another joint
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Drew Lock is going to be on the roster.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Al Bundy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:10 am Drew Lock is going to be on the roster.
100% fine with that. He knows the new guy's stuff, he's still young with some natural ability, he won't cost much, and we don't have to trade for him. Zero downside, and frankly it would make for an interesting (albeit probably not that well played) QB battle.
Let's roll another joint