Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Re: LEFTWICH FIRED: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by Primeminister »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:35 pm Here's my wish list for the new OC and scheme coming to Tampa

1: Modern scheme that's built to implement and take advantage of 2023 passing and running concepts
2: Ability to adapt the offense to the players and show willingness to adjust whenever needed.
3: Be analytically informed but not analytically enslaved(i.e. Staley).
4: Take advantage of opposing defenses weaknesses while maximizing our strengths. I don't want to hear "we do what we do" ever again.
5: Not a single trace of cronyism.
6: Be hired purely based on merit and the above criteria.
7: Last but not least, I don't want this OC to be some desperate ploy for Brady to come back. This hire needs to be completely independent of Brady.
Can somebody send this to the Glazers? This is exactly what needs to happen.
King Bootz

Re: LEFTWICH FIRED?: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:50 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 pm Chances of Brady returning just went down
You are stuck on this idea that Brady really wants to work with Leftwich. If OBP hires a good offensive mind how is that a negative? Leftwich has proven he cannot do this job.
Leftwich had a top 3 offense 3 of his 4 years as OC and won a SB.

Saying he can't do this job is completely dishonest.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The powers that be don’t agree.

He does his job well when he’s super talented everywhere. We know that much.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:55 pm The powers that be don’t agree.

You're probably the only person here who acknowledges that this team ain't that great.

This is a major reason we need to move on from Brady. He ain't that guy that can make lemonade out of rocks anymore.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Leftwich is already being linked to the Steelers and Ravens. Seems some organization feel he can do this job. We'll see.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:54 pm

You are stuck on this idea that Brady really wants to work with Leftwich. If OBP hires a good offensive mind how is that a negative? Leftwich has proven he cannot do this job.

Doctor and I disagree on how much Arians was the reason for that offensive production. I wish Byron well as OC of another team & I earnestly hope he proves me wrong. However I am elated that he is gone because I do not believe him to be a good OC.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:02 pm

Doctor and I disagree on how much Arians was the reason for that offensive production. I wish Byron well as OC of another team & I earnestly hope he proves me wrong. However I am elated that he is gone because I do not believe him to be a good OC.
I tend to agree that BA had a heavy hand on the offense those first 3 seasons.
Don't tread on me
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:55 pm The powers that be don’t agree.

Exactly. We need an OC who can scheme above the talent of his individual players. Leftwich will get an OC job somewhere because there is enough evidence for a team to believe in him. I hope he does well.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:58 pm Leftwich is already being linked to the Steelers and Ravens. Seems some organization feel he can do this job. We'll see.
Perfect. The Ravens are in desperate need and if Lamar likes Lefty that will help him tremendously.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:03 pm

I tend to agree that BA had a heavy hand on the offense those first 3 seasons.
Yep. Arians’ heavy hand was supposedly a problem, but we now see that it was essentially playcalling PEDs. Lose the PEDs, lose the gains.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:04 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:58 pm Leftwich is already being linked to the Steelers and Ravens. Seems some organization feel he can do this job. We'll see.
Perfect. The Ravens are in desperate need and if Lamar likes Lefty that will help him tremendously.
If he does well I'm going to think there was some high level NFL manipulation going on.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

It's a matter of personal opinion as to how much influence Arians had while Leftwich was OC. 1 thing I don't think anyone would disagree with is 2022 offense was by far the worst he had to work with and the most injured.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:11 pm

It's a matter of personal opinion as to how much influence Arians had while Leftwich was OC. 1 thing I don't think anyone would disagree with is 2022 offense was by far the worst he had to work with and the most injured.
No argument from me. The moment that I jumped off the Lefty bandwagon was the day he defended our lack of play action by claiming it’s based on a good running game. That day is the day I was done because his process is fucked so there wasn’t any way to fix that. Hopefully he rethinks this of ends up with a supremely talented roster.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:13 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:11 pm

No argument from me. The moment that I jumped off the Lefty bandwagon was the day he defended our lack of play action by claiming it’s based on a good running game. That day is the day I was done because his process is fucked so there wasn’t any way to fix that. Hopefully he rethinks this of ends up with a supremely talented roster.
I don't think he needs a super talented roster. But it would help of 4 of your 5 starting Olinemen didn't miss a ton of playing time. It would help if your QB decided he wanted to be there and not on an 11 day personal vacay. Or a wedding 2 days before a game in another state. Or taking extended rest days. Might help if the talent didn't take a nose dive(Literally went from Gronk, AB, Marpet to Brate/Otton, the ghost of Julio Jones/Gage, and whoever was playing well enough at LG).

I am not saying Leftwich was perfect or not even that he didn't need to go. But I think it's very dishonest to pretend he can't do a job he had done extremely well the last 3 years.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:52 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:35 pm Here's my wish list for the new OC and scheme coming to Tampa

1: Modern scheme that's built to implement and take advantage of 2023 passing and running concepts
2: Ability to adapt the offense to the players and show willingness to adjust whenever needed.
3: Be analytically informed but not analytically enslaved(i.e. Staley).
4: Take advantage of opposing defenses weaknesses while maximizing our strengths. I don't want to hear "we do what we do" ever again.
5: Not a single trace of cronyism.
6: Be hired purely based on merit and the above criteria.
7: Last but not least, I don't want this OC to be some desperate ploy for Brady to come back. This hire needs to be completely independent of Brady.
Really?

1 and 2 are contradictory. Super modern offense ready to go but also totally adaptable to whomever is on the roster.

3 is something from a motivational poster.

4 means win by being the better team.

5 and 6 basically mean "no blacks"

7 is don't pursue Brady

So we should tell the Glazers to get a white guy with the perfect offensive scheme that doesn't want Brady.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:59 pm

Really?

1 and 2 are contradictory. Super modern offense ready to go but also totally adaptable to whomever is on the roster.

7 is don't pursue Brady

So we should tell the Glazers to get a white guy with the perfect offensive scheme that doesn't want Brady.
BnB would want nothing less than that.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:59 pm

Really?

7 is don't pursue Brady

1/2: Having a modern offense that adapts to account for the roster isn't contradictory. It should be baseline, but we're not used to that type of decision making at OBP.

3: No, it's not, as we've seen real life examples of coaches being completely ignorant to analytics(Leftwhich by his own reactions to media questions and using outdated cliches), or Staley who is going for it on his own 20 yard line because the analytics say to do so.

4: Again, we have real life example with Leftwhich who's answer to attacking the defense in specific ways is "We do what we do"

5/6: This is just pure projection on your part and reveals your own racist views when me wanting the new OC to not be a product of cronyism and to be selected purely based on merit is somehow excluding black people. Time for you to look in the mirror kiddo, because if that's what you read from those points, that says infinitely more about you than it does me. And btw, the guy I want Bowles to give a shot to is Brian Johnson, a black coach.

7: No, that's not what I said. I said the coaching hire should be made independent of Brady and should not be a desperate attempt to attract him. Please don't misrepresent what I said.l
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Heh. Nailed him.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

So, will Arians also be terminated? I don't think another OC will want him in the building.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

My god the ads on that page.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hire Monken.
Sign Baker.
Start Baker.
Finish with 29th offense.
Go 4-13.

Byron:

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:27 pm
Hey, maybe the 4th times the charm for Mayfield? Could he have a Geno Smith type rebirth in Tampa?

Geez the QB situation is...dicey to say the least.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:33 pm Hire Monken.
Sign Baker.
Start Baker.
Go 4-13.

Byron:

I do think Leftwhich was part of the issue. Glad to see him gone. He might be laughing, but then again so is Antonio Brown.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:34 pm
Hey, maybe the 4th times the charm for Mayfield? Could he have a Geno Smith type rebirth in Tampa?

Are they confirming Monken?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

If we go with Mayfield, just shoot me in the dick right now!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I think you're underestimating the journey Geno went on. He sat on the bench for 7 years. That's a very humbling journey.

Baker has been on 3 teams in 2 seasons and each time he was acquired it was to be the guy but he's failed. Baker Mayfield might have his "Geno Smith" type resurgence 1 day but it won't be in 2023.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:33 pm Hire Monken.
Sign Baker.
Start Baker.
Go 4-13.

Byron:

This has me thinking, could we be unknowingly doing Leftwich and all of these other coaches a favor?

I mean pretty much the majority of this board felt 2023 would be a bad year for the Buccaneers. Certainly worse than 2022. So wouldn't that be a benefit to them that they won't be part of a shit show?
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

That would be something. Brady has a bad season, baker comes in and has his best season.

Seriously tho I don't want Baker
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:50 pm

I think you're underestimating the journey Geno went on. He sat on the bench for 7 years. That's a very humbling journey.

Baker has been on 3 teams in 2 seasons and each time he was acquired it was to be the guy but he's failed. Baker Mayfield might have his "Geno Smith" type resurgence 1 day but it won't be in 2023.
Oh yeah I'm just trying to have the most Glass Half-Full attitude towards the idea that Baker Mayfield is our QB in 2023, which is kind of insane to actually type out considering Brady was our starting QB just a few days ago.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:08 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:50 pm

Oh yeah I'm just trying to have the most Glass Half-Full attitude towards the idea that Baker Mayfield is our QB in 2023, which is kind of insane to actually type out considering Brady was our starting QB just a few days ago.
With the end goal being what exactly? Super Bowl? Winning season & playoffs run? Winning record? 3-14?

The “glass half full” attitude would be almost exclusively dependent upon what your expectations are for 2023.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yeah I was confused on Todd Monken. What the…

No thanks to Baker Mayfield.

Always leave the door open for Tom Brady return
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

And who was the head coach during the years his offense was top 3? Maybe that’s the problem.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:43 pm If we go with Mayfield, just shoot me in the dick right now!
I see you chose a painful but survivable course of action.