Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:34 pm
Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 pm
We’re either waiting for the Super Bowl coaches or we have no clue what to do. Reminds me of the time we spent 3+ weeks interviewing coach after coach to replace Raheem Morris and settled on Greg Schiano. Could be another situation where we get a bunch of names for the hat and then 1 day blindly pull one out.

Oh and speaking of Morris, he’s a finalist for the Colts job.
If we're waiting for the Super Bowl coaches, it doesn't make sense that we're STILL bringing in people to interview. Were we so underwhelmed by the first eight guys that we're still hoping to hit a home run? And if we're just going to hire one of the SB coordinators, there's no shame in simply sitting and waiting. So I'm leaning heavily towards, "We don't know what we're doing." This seems like one of those times to mention that having a third wheel in the mix (Arians) could be mucking up the process.

That said, all of this is meaningless. Someone will be hired, and they'll either succeed or they won't. Nobody will remember this process if he succeeds.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Also, RE Thomas Brown: it should tell us everything we need to know that McVay didn't simply elevate him to OC. He instead brought back Mike LaFleur to be his OC, after LaFleur had spent two years doing a shitty job with the Jets. I don't really want to hire a guy who wasn't promoted to the same job by the organization that knows him.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I don't remember all the coaches that got canned - are we looking for a CB coach?

I think this guy could be good.

https://goholycross.com/sports/football ... arnes/1219
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:39 am I don't remember all the coaches that got canned - are we looking for a CB coach?

I think this guy could be good.

https://goholycross.com/sports/football ... arnes/1219
I love keeping the head on a swivel, but our CB coach is Kevin Ross, and he ain't going anywhere. He's one of the Arians/Bowles Temple guys and TBH I think he's doing a pretty good job.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Do you mean till Bowles goes? Was not he part of the 3rd and 19 club? I seem to have watched piles of those conversions - it led to folks saying any back up QB can beat us.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:23 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:34 pm

We’re either waiting for the Super Bowl coaches or we have no clue what to do. Reminds me of the time we spent 3+ weeks interviewing coach after coach to replace Raheem Morris and settled on Greg Schiano. Could be another situation where we get a bunch of names for the hat and then 1 day blindly pull one out.

Oh and speaking of Morris, he’s a finalist for the Colts job.
If we're waiting for the Super Bowl coaches, it doesn't make sense that we're STILL bringing in people to interview. Were we so underwhelmed by the first eight guys that we're still hoping to hit a home run? And if we're just going to hire one of the SB coordinators, there's no shame in simply sitting and waiting. So I'm leaning heavily towards, "We don't know what we're doing." This seems like one of those times to mention that having a third wheel in the mix (Arians) could be mucking up the process.

That said, all of this is meaningless. Someone will be hired, and they'll either succeed or they won't. Nobody will remember this process if he succeeds.
I don’t know the point of Arians still being here. Especially as “advisor to the GM”. He’s also on record saying he didn’t like that those 8 coaches were fired. So I don’t see how him being part of that process is a benefit as much as it is a detriment.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I said it from the beginning. Arians is getting paid millions to shoot nerf basketballs in Licht’s office and annoy him. There’s no way he’s an actual asset in any of these processes.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Franchise has two chips yet we still have major loser energy. This persistent need to "clean house". Takes some Gen Z level arrogance to think a three time champion, two time COTY, is in no way an asset.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Coaching is different than being a GM. There’s a reason most coaches aren’t also the GM. FO’s hire brainiacs and mathematicians a lot more than football coaches. Why is that?

Bruce was the right man for the HC job. He had the right temperament and the personnel fit the scheme. That doesn’t mean he should be in the front office recommending more awful offensive coordinators like Byron Leftwich- Who he thought was awesome. Lol. And mediocre head coaches like Bowles, who he thought was awesome.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

I'd like a young, analytics-driven OC, but I don't think it will matter terribly with Bowles as head coach. I'm hopeful I'm wrong, but he hasn't shown much to make me think he'd give that kind of power to the OC.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

it doesn't look good
Bowles went through three offensive coordinators – Chan Gailey, John Morton and Jeremy Bates – in four seasons as the head coach of the New York Jets from 2015-18. That degree of inconsistency partially led to Bowles’ firing after the 2018 season. Bowles inherited Leftwich and Arians’ coaching staff in 2022 and wasn’t permitted to make any changes until the 2023 offseason, so he’s already on to his second offensive coordinator in as many years.

And Bowles has to get this hire right. The Bucs offense doesn’t necessarily have to average 30 points per game as it did with a much more talented roster from 2020-21, but it can’t average 18.4 points per game again. Tampa Bay needs to average at least 23 points per game, which would rank in the NFL’s top dozen offenses.

Are Bowles and Licht being picky? Maybe, but the fact that the Bucs have interviewed eight candidates and haven’t found the right guy for the job by now seems a bit suspect. It’s likely that some of the candidates who were interviewed weren’t right for the job from the Bucs’ perspective, but Bowles and Licht had to have liked some of them, right? After all, Pitcher interviewed for a second time.

Perhaps Bucs’ Current QB Situation Is Scaring Off Candidates

All offensive coordinators know that the quarterback position drives the offense, especially since the NFL has become a pass-first league in the modern day. Could it be that the Bucs’ current quarterback situation is scaring off potential hires? That seems likely, especially with just Kyle Trask, who is unproven entering his third year in the league, as the only QB under contract until free agency starts.

The Bucs will eventually wind up with a veteran, but it will likely be a journeyman like Jacoby Brissett or Baker Mayfield. But the uncertainty may be giving several of the candidates pause over taking the play-calling duties in Tampa Bay. Remember, when the Bucs started the interview process in late January, Tom Brady had not officially retired.

Some of those early interviews could have taken place with the chance that Brady could return to Tampa Bay. Since he officially announced his retirement on Feb. 1, that has certainly made the Bucs’ offensive coordinator opportunity far less enticing. The fact that a new offensive coordinator would have to focus on getting a less talented veteran journeyman ready to play while developing a young, inexperienced quarterback isn’t ideal and doesn’t make for a situation
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:08 pm it doesn't look good
Bowles went through three offensive coordinators – Chan Gailey, John Morton and Jeremy Bates – in four seasons as the head coach of the New York Jets from 2015-18. That degree of inconsistency partially led to Bowles’ firing after the 2018 season. Bowles inherited Leftwich and Arians’ coaching staff in 2022 and wasn’t permitted to make any changes until the 2023 offseason, so he’s already on to his second offensive coordinator in as many years.

And Bowles has to get this hire right. The Bucs offense doesn’t necessarily have to average 30 points per game as it did with a much more talented roster from 2020-21, but it can’t average 18.4 points per game again. Tampa Bay needs to average at least 23 points per game, which would rank in the NFL’s top dozen offenses.

Are Bowles and Licht being picky? Maybe, but the fact that the Bucs have interviewed eight candidates and haven’t found the right guy for the job by now seems a bit suspect. It’s likely that some of the candidates who were interviewed weren’t right for the job from the Bucs’ perspective, but Bowles and Licht had to have liked some of them, right? After all, Pitcher interviewed for a second time.

Perhaps Bucs’ Current QB Situation Is Scaring Off Candidates

All offensive coordinators know that the quarterback position drives the offense, especially since the NFL has become a pass-first league in the modern day. Could it be that the Bucs’ current quarterback situation is scaring off potential hires? That seems likely, especially with just Kyle Trask, who is unproven entering his third year in the league, as the only QB under contract until free agency starts.

The Bucs will eventually wind up with a veteran, but it will likely be a journeyman like Jacoby Brissett or Baker Mayfield. But the uncertainty may be giving several of the candidates pause over taking the play-calling duties in Tampa Bay. Remember, when the Bucs started the interview process in late January, Tom Brady had not officially retired.

Some of those early interviews could have taken place with the chance that Brady could return to Tampa Bay. Since he officially announced his retirement on Feb. 1, that has certainly made the Bucs’ offensive coordinator opportunity far less enticing. The fact that a new offensive coordinator would have to focus on getting a less talented veteran journeyman ready to play while developing a young, inexperienced quarterback isn’t ideal and doesn’t make for a situation
The ignored counter to that argument is that an OC coming to work with Brady would not have gotten full credit for an offensive turn around. Brady would have gotten most of it. If an OC comes in and works a miracle with Trask or a veteran that would look much, much better overall. Just look at how Shane Waldron is perceived. He would not be getting the same accolades with an established R. Wilson.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:46 pm I can't wait for the meltdowns when the hire is made and it's not what people think they want. It will be fun to watch.
No doubt itll be some random assistant from a 20-something ranked offense and a team that didn’t even make the playoffs, like this guy we interviewed today.
If this comes to pass, the meltdowns will be epic.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Buc2 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:58 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm

No doubt itll be some random assistant from a 20-something ranked offense and a team that didn’t even make the playoffs, like this guy we interviewed today.
Honestly, the only OC hire I can imagine being upset about is if we just go the most unimaginative, "guy who's failed at the job for 3 different teams and we're giving him another chance because he's well connected" type hire. You know...Scott Linehan, Pat Shurmur, someone like that.
Let's roll another joint
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

MJW wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:17 am
Buc2 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:58 pm

Honestly, the only OC hire I can imagine being upset about is if we just go the most unimaginative, "guy who's failed at the job for 3 different teams and we're giving him another chance because he's well connected" type hire. You know...Scott Linehan, Pat Shurmur, someone like that.
This is the kind of hire I actually want. I do not want this coaching staff to succeed and I don't want most of the roster to stick around in 2024.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Chan Gailey retired on him.
Morton wouldn't run the ball and had to go.
Bates got fired with Bowles.
Leftwich was entrench.

So trying to spin that like Bowles just having his churn is dishonest. The only one he churned out himself was Morton, who was ironically the very kind of hire people seem to want.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Al Bundy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:08 am
MJW wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:17 am

This is the kind of hire I actually want. I do not want this coaching staff to succeed and I don't want most of the roster to stick around in 2024.
Seriously? If this coaching staff succeeds, why wouldn’t a Bucs fan want to keep them around? You make no sense at all.
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Dan Pitcher would be my pick as of now. Young guy, comes from a good coaching staff, helped develop Burrow. I like Johnson too…and he may be guy we are waiting for. I’d be good with him and a sign we may be willing to give Trask a shot.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:35 am Dan Pitcher would be my pick as of now. Young guy, comes from a good coaching staff, helped develop Burrow. I like Johnson too…and he may be guy we are waiting for. I’d be good with him and a sign we may be willing to give Trask a shot.
Yeah but Trask is not the amazing Burrow
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:35 am Dan Pitcher would be my pick as of now. Young guy, comes from a good coaching staff, helped develop Burrow. I like Johnson too…and he may be guy we are waiting for. I’d be good with him and a sign we may be willing to give Trask a shot.
He rejected us

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm No doubt itll be some random assistant from a 20-something ranked offense and a team that didn’t even make the playoffs, like this guy we interviewed today.
We’re getting closer……
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:43 am Also, RE Thomas Brown: it should tell us everything we need to know that McVay didn't simply elevate him to OC. He instead brought back Mike LaFleur to be his OC, after LaFleur had spent two years doing a shitty job with the Jets. I don't really want to hire a guy who wasn't promoted to the same job by the organization that knows him.
This isn’t any type of endorsement for Brown, but I was kind of reminded that the Rams allowed all of their assistants to seek opportunities elsewhere because of the uncertainty with McVay returning. So it seems that many of them have either advised the Rams they want to remain or that they will seek employment elsewhere.

Brown also has an interview with the Panthers later this week, so I’m inclined to think he was not planning to return to the Rams. He’s been interviewing since the season ended and before McVay announced his return. Again, I don’t disagree with your overall point, but he likely told them no thanks.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

"If Brian Johnson was really are top choice we wouldn't interview so many others" is a weak take.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:48 pm "If Brian Johnson was really are top choice we wouldn't interview so many others" is a weak take.
Are you not paying attention? We haven’t reached out to him. We literally have guys interviewing with us 3 days after the Super Bowl is over.

That said, it appears the Eagles OC will be getting the Colts job and Johnson is reportedly 1st in line to replace him. If his choices are Philly or anywhere else, he’s staying in Philly.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Buc2 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:30 am
Al Bundy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:08 am

Seriously? If this coaching staff succeeds, why wouldn’t a Bucs fan want to keep them around? You make no sense at all.
The absolute top this coaching staff/roster without Tom Brady is capable of is 6-11 or 7-10. Might as well hire some bozo at OC and fire them all this time next year.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:44 pm
He rejected us

I wouldn't take it like that, hes got something good up there. I guarantee if the roles were reversed he'd be running down here.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Duh…
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Central_Buc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:30 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:44 pm

He rejected us

I wouldn't take it like that, hes got something good up there. I guarantee if the roles were reversed he'd be running down here.
Exactly. Not sure why anyone would leave Burrow and that offense for this sack of crap roster, front office and head coach.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Al Bundy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:19 pm
Buc2 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:30 am

The absolute top this coaching staff/roster without Tom Brady is capable of is 6-11 or 7-10. Might as well hire some bozo at OC and fire them all this time next year.
Pointless statement in February. We don't even know who our QB will be.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:23 pm
Al Bundy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:19 pm

Pointless statement in February. We don't even know who our QB will be.
We know it won't be a good QB that wins the Buccaneers games.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:48 pm "If Brian Johnson was really are top choice we wouldn't interview so many others" is a weak take.
Eight others though? When (hypothetically) you've locked on to who you want, and maybe even extended them an offer? It's a bad look. You're wasting everyone's time and coming off disorganized.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:56 pm
Are you not paying attention? We haven’t reached out to him. We literally have guys interviewing with us 3 days after the Super Bowl is over.

That said, it appears the Eagles OC will be getting the Colts job and Johnson is reportedly 1st in line to replace him. If his choices are Philly or anywhere else, he’s staying in Philly.
This.

It's sounding a lot like Steichen is going to Indy, and quite possibly Gannon is going to Arizona.

And yeah, Brian Johnson would be nuts to jump ship now. He puts in another year and doesn't derail the train, he enters 2024 as the consensus top HC prospect. It's why we should have been looking a little deeper at their coaching roster, if that was the plan. Someone like Kevin Patullo.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's fine if we have no interest in Brian Johnson. Maybe we're looking at Kevin Patullo. Or neither. But the take of "If we had a top choice we wouldn't interview so many others" remains weak.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:46 pm It's fine if we have no interest in Brian Johnson. Maybe we're looking at Kevin Patullo. Or neither. But the take of "If we had a top choice we wouldn't interview so many others" remains weak.
Greg Aumen spoke to Johnson at the game. He stated the Bucs had not reached out to him at all.
Most hated man in America.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:29 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:46 pm It's fine if we have no interest in Brian Johnson. Maybe we're looking at Kevin Patullo. Or neither. But the take of "If we had a top choice we wouldn't interview so many others" remains weak.
Greg Aumen spoke to Johnson at the game. He stated the Bucs had not reached out to him at all.
I'm not at all surprised.

But now the SB is over, and we've interviewed TEN coaches. Time for Licht and Bowles to put on their big boy pants. At this point, the logical extrapolation is that either the two of them, or some combination of the two of them and Arians (who should have zero input but probably does) can't agree on a guy.

(There is a slim chance that all TEN of our interviewees have been underwhelming, but if so, it's us or the process that likely has the problem.)
Let's roll another joint