Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

Post by Snake »

Good luck with Kyle Trash, Dave!
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Canales is most known for his connections to Pete Carroll going all the way back to his USC days. Wonder if Canales has an eye on a certain current USC quarterback??? 🤔
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

My dad/brother are USC/Seahawk fans and I’m the Bucs fan

Interesting how this guy hit all 3.

The exact type of hire I wanted. Not a retread OC but a coach who has been a part of successful offenses that wants a shot at OC

Finally some exciting news.
bucarican

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by bucarican »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:32 pm I was really hyped for Scottie Montgomery. When it comes to Canales, I know about as much as the next fan here. I guess we can also go with the Bootz methodology of "the Ravens interviewed him twice so he must be worth checking out".

He gots some nice arms, what a stud
Snake

Post by Snake »

He quacks with the best of them.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How many coaches do we still have to replace?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:51 pm How many coaches do we still have to replace?
Most hated man in America.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:32 pm I was really hyped for Scottie Montgomery. When it comes to Canales, I know about as much as the next fan here. I guess we can also go with the Bootz methodology of "the Ravens interviewed him twice so he must be worth checking out".

Good energy and seems like a decent communicator.

Good first impressions so far.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:28 am

Good energy and seems like a decent communicator.

Good first impressions so far.
Yeah I'm sure that will be a nice change for the players considering Byron and Bowles have the energy of Walking Dead zombie background extras.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:23 am
Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:28 am
)

Yeah I'm sure that will be a nice change for the players considering Byron and Bowles have the energy of Walking Dead zombie background extras.
Thinner!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm still disappointed Scottie wasn't the pick.

I'm trying to take comfort in how the process. Despite unsupported, presumptive tweets it doesn't seem like we liked anyone enough to actually offer them the job before now. Retread Todd Monken probably had the thickest resume on paper, but he didn't even earn a second interview. Heck, he probably suggested bringing back Winston and JL told him "thanks for coming in". But really, Monken was the outlier in our pool of candidates which seem to be (fuck me) a bit more what mdb and others were looking for. Young up-and-comers.

And when you have fast-talking whipper snappers coming in to sell you that they know what they are talking about and are the next new hotness, it helps to have experienced experts to authenticate. Enter Tom Moore and Bruce Arians, who have probably forgotten more about football than any of these candidates knows. This leads me to think either all the others failed the smell test or Dave really impressed during the job interview in a way no one else did. Either that or promised Geno Smith, who knows. I'm still really concerned he's a first-time play caller. He doesn't strike me as a guy who gets it right the first time around. But if he was able to get the blessing of our own Statler and Waldorf, they must see something I don't. Which makes sense considering they are hiring him while I've never spoken to the guy and am working off wiki pages and youtube interviews.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Seems some are unable to accept the fact we are gonna suck next year.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I imagine the Seahawks board was a lot like this last year.

I'm fully prepared that we may suck next year. We have a ton of key issues that can fall on either side of the fence. And if enough of them fall on the wrong side we could very well be in competition for the top pick.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Look on the bright side…if we totally suck, we get a new HC for 2024, we get a top draft pick in a very qb-rich class next year, and supposing we draft well at OL this year, we will have good pieces in place on offense. May need to start preparing for life after Evans, though, as he gets older.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:51 am Look on the bright side…if we totally suck, we get a new HC for 2024, we get a top draft pick in a very qb-rich class next year, and supposing we draft well at OL this year, we will have good pieces in place on offense. May need to start preparing for life after Evans, though, as he gets older.
Yep. The new era for our hopeful championship in 2043. Gotta start somewhere
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I'd like to say, trust in Licht, as some folks here like to say. But that trust got us 2022.
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:01 pm
Navybuc wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:51 am Look on the bright side…if we totally suck, we get a new HC for 2024, we get a top draft pick in a very qb-rich class next year, and supposing we draft well at OL this year, we will have good pieces in place on offense. May need to start preparing for life after Evans, though, as he gets older.
I’m a little more optimistic than that. Hope we can find our Doug Pederson out there. Feel like there’s talent on this roster…but the coaching is just very piss poor. I have no faith in Bowles. He’s proven to be nothing but garbage since his Jets days.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Tank for Arch Manning baby
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:17 pm Good luck with Kyle Trash, Dave!
You spelled that wrong. Why in hell would you diss a dude who has not had an opportunity? Just because he did not supplant a former first-round pick or the GOAT?
Kona

Post by Kona »

2038 if we’re going with the timeline from the 1st (2002) to 2nd (2020). Although I do hope we’re a bit more competitive this 18 year stretch. 3 SB victories in one lifetime would be a treat.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:30 pm

2038 if we’re going with the timeline from the 1st (2002) to 2nd (2020). Although I do hope we’re a bit more competitive this 18 year stretch. 3 SB victories in one lifetime would be a treat.
Yea we did get a jump start this cycle.

It starts with trading for a white HC who's seen as an offensive guru, win a SB with him then he gets replaced by a black defensive coach who was already on staff. Only this time Arians retired while Gruden was fired. Bowles is the polar opposite of "youngry" so maybe he works or maybe he gets replaced by a mediocre college HC from a mediocre school too.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:10 pm

It starts with trading for a white HC who's seen as an offensive guru, win a SB with him then he gets replaced by a black defensive coach who was already on staff. Only this time Arians retired while Gruden was fired. Bowles is the polar opposite of "youngry" so maybe he works or maybe he gets replaced by a mediocre college HC from a mediocre school too.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Racism not even veiled anymore
Kona

Post by Kona »

Maybe take another stab at the Rutgers coach, whoever that may be.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:37 pm Maybe take another stab at the Rutgers coach, whoever that may be.
Full circle moment?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Guaranteed @Kona knew exactly who the Rutgers coach is. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:52 pm Guaranteed @Kona knew exactly who the Rutgers coach is. :lol:
And his record is even worse than it was when we hired him. So he'd be a lock for the job!
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

I wish we interviewed Bieniemy.

It would have been a perfect scenario for all...oh well. Sounds like he'll go to Washington.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:10 pm

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Never go full LUGZ
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

No idea what to make of this (nor does anyone else). Listening to him talk, listening to his energy, listening to his background, and his communication chops, he almost surely interviews very, very well. He's seems excellent on the practice field. The whole "man of faith" thing can either do well or really turn people away (depends on the locker room dynamics).

Its a complete wild card.

As to what he'll run? I mean, he's been in Seattle all these years so I expect a significant majority of Zone and plenty of Outside Zone. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...that doesn't play to our OL personnel strengths and actually plays to several players' weaknesses; Smith and all the potential Guards. That leaves Jensen and Wirfs. Zone does not work if you have folks who are technically unsound and/or poor in short area lateral movement.

Outside of that, I would anticipate a fair amount of play-action and 3 man routes with deep concepts and max protect off of that ZBS platform.

Lots of presnap motion and Jet action.

We'll see. No clue, but that I would be VERY surprised if we don't go from a Duo/Gap-heavy team to a ZBS-heavy team with Outside Zone ticking up quite a bit. So that definitely speaks to moving on from DSmith if nothing else.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Nobody wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:56 pm So that definitely speaks to moving on from DSmith if nothing else.
All the likes.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Nobody wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:56 pm No idea what to make of this (nor does anyone else). Listening to him talk, listening to his energy, listening to his background, and his communication chops, he almost surely interviews very, very well. He's seems excellent on the practice field. The whole "man of faith" thing can either do well or really turn people away (depends on the locker room dynamics).

As to what he'll run? I mean, he's been in Seattle all these years so I expect a significant majority of Zone and plenty of Outside Zone. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...that doesn't play to our OL personnel strengths and actually plays to several players' weaknesses; Smith and all the potential Guards. That leaves Jensen and Wirfs. Zone does not work if you have folks who are technically unsound and/or poor in short area lateral movement.

Outside of that, I would anticipate a fair amount of play-action and 3 man routes with deep concepts and max protect off of that ZBS platform.

We'll see. No clue, but that I would be VERY surprised if we don't go from a Duo/Gap-heavy team to a ZBS-heavy team with Outside Zone ticking up quite a bit. So that definitely speaks to moving on from DSmith if nothing else.
How do you think Shaq would fair?

And would a move to zone blocking hurt or help Goedeke in your opinion?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

@Grahamburn Cue Leo DiCaprio Toast GIF.
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:01 pm
Nobody wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:56 pm No idea what to make of this (nor does anyone else). Listening to him talk, listening to his energy, listening to his background, and his communication chops, he almost surely interviews very, very well. He's seems excellent on the practice field. The whole "man of faith" thing can either do well or really turn people away (depends on the locker room dynamics).

How do you think Shaq would fair?

And would a move to zone blocking hurt or help Goedeke in your opinion?
Shaq is one of the best Gap iOL in the league. He can seal fantastically well and he's one of the best pulling Guards in the league. He's excellent doubling and climbing. He's a solid to good Inside Zone player, but he hasn't been asked to do much Outside Zone in his career. ZBS isn't his strength (though he's still a solid to + Inside Zone player) and Outside Zone is a big question mark for him due to rep counts (I have my doubts).

Goedeke? Who knows. Until he shows something more, I'm not convinced he can be a Guard in the NFL. It seemed like things just happened WAAAAAY too fast for him in there and his base + short area movement + anchor was a train-wreck. We'll see. He's going to have to be rebuilt entirely (a la Cappa...who went outside of the organization in the offseason to a professional OL coaching clinic/regime) to make it work on the inside. Though he did pass block muuuuuuch better on the interior in the Wild Card game.

He was actually pretty solid at RT in the final reg season game, so I wonder if he ultimately ends up there (whether depth or eventual starter).

We'll see on Goedeke. He's a mess technically right now (ZBS requires lateral movement skills + impeccable footwork + locked-in on assignment/rules). Trying to project him right now is like reading tea leaves or chicken bones at this point.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I wish I could skip having to live through the 2023 Bucs season by running a simulation on Madden and starting a couple of days before 2024 draft.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Jonny wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:24 pm I wish I could skip having to live through the 2023 Bucs season by running a simulation on Madden and starting a couple of days before 2024 draft.
I'm too old to be skipping years. I need all the years I can get. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Harold Godwin has run plenty of both zone and gap here. In fact, I actually think Dave and Harold are a good match and he'll probably keep him.

D Smith's time here is coming to a close for many reasons.

Buc2 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:05 pm I'd like to say, trust in Licht, as some folks here like to say. But that trust got us 2022.

It also got us 2020.

Which far outweighs the pain of our miserable division winning season. In fact, we play this hypothetical game every few offseasons and the consensus seems to be a willingness to swallow quite a lot of misery but get a ring than be the Bills or McNabb Eagles. Also, if anyone is going to retool/rebuild us back to championship form it is probably the guy that literally just did it. And the 2022 roster is far better than the 2014 one he took over. May not take 6 years again, even so, that's nothing. The dude's been a FO executive on four different Super Bowl teams. Like, who the heck else could you possibly prefer to turn?