Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by Bootz »

This guy was just hired by the Lions 9 days ago to be their RB coach & assistant HC. Came from the Colts staff.

Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Oh boy.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

We must be getting desperate.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:09 am This guy was just hired by the Lions 9 days ago to be their RB coach & assistant HC. Came from the Colts staff.

So he knows Arians. That's his main qualification.

We never should have let Arians stay half in.
We never should have let him pick his successor or his successor's staff.
And we should have fired the lot of them after this abortion of a season.

Now we reap what we sow. Another year with a worthless head coach. Another year with Arians's opinion running the show. Another year of buddy/buddy hiring and promoting.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Remember back in the day when we were going to hire Chip Kelly, then that fell through, and someone made the Freeman gif?

I feel like that's what is happening right now with all these OCs when they're forced to listen to Bowles speak for an extended period of time and then knowing Kyle Trash is a real threat to be the starter in 2023.

Unfortunately I think we're going to have to go bargain bin shopping for this OC hire because any real candidates won't want to risk their career by hitching their wagon to a guy that's more suited to running a flea market booth than running an NFL team.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Understandable that these candidates would be hesitant to hitch their career to a lame duck HC. At this point we‘ll probably hire someone nobody has heard of or role with Harold Goodwin.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:20 am Understandable that these candidates would be hesitant to hitch their career to a lame duck HC. At this point we‘ll probably hire someone nobody has heard of or role with Harold Goodwin.
We're pretty much interviewing people nobody has heard of. But to some degree that's how most coordinator positions go unless you're hiring a retread. Even as popular as Brian Johnson has become in the last month or so, no one knew he was the Eagles QB coach before Hurts got in the MVP conversation.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Kona wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:20 am Understandable that these candidates would be hesitant to hitch their career to a lame duck HC. At this point we‘ll probably hire someone nobody has heard of or role with Harold Goodwin.
I wouldn't want to come work in Tampa right now. Bowels is not respected league wide and people know he is finished after the season.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Al Bundy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:22 am Bowels is not respected league wide and people know he is finished after the season.
Link?
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:30 am
Al Bundy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:22 am Bowels is not respected league wide and people know he is finished after the season.
Link?
Mr Bundy here is on record saying he hopes we lose a lot because he wants this coaching staff gone. Take what he says with less than a grain of salt.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:47 am
Buc2 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:30 am

Link?
Mr Bundy here is on record saying he hopes we lose a lot because he wants this coaching staff gone. Take what he says with less than a grain of salt.
Oh, I'm aware. I called him out on that shit. I wonder if he's in any way related to Lugz?
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:48 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:47 am

Oh, I'm aware. I called him out on that shit. I wonder if he's in any way related to Lugz?
Father/son duo no doubt
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Makes me wonder if we're trying to go this route, getting a 2 for 1.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:11 am

Not to throw rocks at the Bucs' braintrust, but that seems a bit too nuanced for them. And indeed, why wouldn't you let your brand new offensive coordinator bring in the guys that he likes instead of saying congrats on the job, here are your chief underlings?

I don't know man. The longer this drags on, the more my nose tells me that something is wrong. Byron Leftwich was fired almost a month ago and we're into double-digit interviews now. And the longer this drags on, the more obscure those candidates become, which is also not a great sign.
Last edited by Cheb on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I don't blame him for choosing the Ravens over us.

Has ANYONE interviewed Greg Roman?

Maybe we should. At least get our run game back in order and give him a chance to recover his image.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The dominos will fall fast this week. The NFL combine is only 2 weeks away from today so a lot of these new hires and newly built coaching staffs will have a lot of catching up to do.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:24 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:11 am

Not to throw rocks at the Bucs' braintrust, but that seems a bit too nuanced for them. And indeed, why wouldn't you let your brand new offensive coordinator bring in the guys that he likes instead of saying congrats on the job, here are your chief underlings?

I don't know man. The longer this drags on, the more my nose tells me that something is wrong. Byron Leftwich was fired almost a month ago and we're into double-digit interviews now. And the longer this drags on, the more obscure those candidates become, which is also not a great sign.
It's getting to the point where if you're already on someone else's staff you have to question if waiting this out is beneficial or not. Teams will be preparing to go to Indianapolis next week for the Combine. I imagine all 32 teams take it seriously and that a ton of preparation goes into the process. Do you want to go to a new team already racing against the clock?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Come work with our coaches
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 am

I don't blame him for choosing the Ravens over us.

Has ANYONE interviewed Greg Roman?

Maybe we should. At least get our run game back in order and give him a chance to recover his image.
He would also render Evans & Godwin useless. He designs his passing game around RBs & TEs. WRs in his system run 3 routes. That's it. But mainly they block.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How could we not be looking at a huge number of college free agents this year? We should do it even if a large number of our free agents do not receive much attention from the market and they choose to take the same pay with us.

I guess trading old loafs of bread in free agency is still an option.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:35 am
Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:24 am

It's getting to the point where if you're already on someone else's staff you have to question if waiting this out is beneficial or not. Teams will be preparing to go to Indianapolis next week for the Combine. I imagine all 32 teams take it seriously and that a ton of preparation goes into the process. Do you want to go to a new team already racing against the clock?
I don't think that draft prep would preclude a coach from joining our team as an offensive coordinator. But the longer we wait to hire him, the further behind he gets from a draft perspective. If, for example, he really wants to interview a small school slot receiver projected to be a midrounder who would be perfect for his system, and we wait so long that we can't schedule him for one of our interviews, that's an obvious loss on our part. Not an insurmountable one, but a loss nonetheless.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

It definitely makes sense that this isn’t a prime OC job. There’s no money and no QB. I have nothing against Bowles but wish we could just fast forward to the next coaching hire, with more cap room and hopefully hire an offensive coach with experience building an offense around a mobile QB.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

??? Everyone knows now that you pick by how many views you got on the internet.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Naismith wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:26 pm It definitely makes sense that this isn’t a prime OC job. There’s no money and no QB. I have nothing against Bowles but wish we could just fast forward to the next coaching hire, with more cap room and hopefully hire an offensive coach with experience building an offense around a mobile QB.
We have a QB but I get your drift. This upcoming season sans a flashy QB or deep pockets has a moderate chance of sucking.

But it's still an OC job, in a profession with only 32 such gigs. There's even less if you discount those head coaches who act as defacto offensive coordinators, so maybe closer to 20-25? If I'm a long-time offensive position coach with an ounce of ambition, I'd be leveraging my contacts right now.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:23 pm
Naismith wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:26 pm It definitely makes sense that this isn’t a prime OC job. There’s no money and no QB. I have nothing against Bowles but wish we could just fast forward to the next coaching hire, with more cap room and hopefully hire an offensive coach with experience building an offense around a mobile QB.
We have a QB but I get your drift. This upcoming season sans a flashy QB or deep pockets has a moderate chance of sucking.

But it's still an OC job, in a profession with only 32 such gigs. There's even less if you discount those head coaches who act as defacto offensive coordinators, so maybe closer to 20-25? If I'm a long-time offensive position coach with an ounce of ambition, I'd be leveraging my contacts right now.
That's what I was saying in a post somewhere. You said it better. These guys have egos, too. It's not just the players. Think of the ego boost they'd get if they could be part of a successful turnaround of this offense. They'd be crazy not to try.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

It would be so cool if we could do virtually anything without turning it into a circus.
Let's roll another joint
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:38 pm It would be so cool if we could do virtually anything without turning it into a circus.
Then we wouldn't be the Bucs.
Don't tread on me
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

It's what we do
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

90% of circus is in thread
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:01 pm 90% of circus is in thread
I can't talk right now. We just got a little Bernese Mountain Dog puppy and Jason Licht wants to interview her for OC.
Let's roll another joint
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:01 pm 90% of circus is in thread
Do you really have that many posts in this thread?

Dang.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

I don’t have a problem with due diligence.

The Ravens came out and said they had 21 interviews with 14 candidates.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I still like the thought of a small college OC becoming brilliant while under our care. Or even grooming him for the job.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:36 pm I don’t have a problem with due diligence.

The Ravens came out and said they had 21 interviews with 14 candidates.
And both Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning played quarterback. I have no problem with the forward pass.
Let's roll another joint
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I remember this poster who said that earlier... I remember some people telling that poster they were wrong... man... gotta go dig those posts up.