Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by Doctor »

Brady already had the least time the throw in the league. Rather have that split second to scan the field than pretend handoff? Not to mention if a defender comes crashing down and isn't fooled the QB can get walloped.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:33 am Brady already had the least time the throw in the league. Rather have that split second to scan the field than pretend handoff? Not to mention if a defender comes crashing down and isn't fooled the QB can get walloped.
This play action, if done well, buys you time.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Monken and a motivated Baker Mayfield on like a two year deal wouldn't piss me off too much.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:45 am
Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:33 am Brady already had the least time the throw in the league. Rather have that split second to scan the field than pretend handoff? Not to mention if a defender comes crashing down and isn't fooled the QB can get walloped.
Yes and no. Play Action isn't some magic fairy dust or it would be every pass play. Also, Brady isn't exactly mobile, so if the PA isn't done well.... WALLOP!
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:29 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:45 am

Yes and no. Play Action isn't some magic fairy dust or it would be every pass play. Also, Brady isn't exactly mobile, so if the PA isn't done well.... WALLOP!
Yes, you have to know how to balance play action against drop-backs, handoffs, and screens. That way you can keep defenses off balance, while observing matchups and sequencing plays to take advantage of both.

It's the sort of thing you should be able to do if you were organizing the attack...no...that's not it...marshaling the scoring players...wait...wait...I got it! Coordinating the offense! That's exactly the job of the...the...Offensive coordinator! Which is why when snake implies our Offensive Coordinator fucking sucked, he has a great point! Because we didn't do any of those things, including figuring out when and how to use play action to open up space for our receivers (who had the least separation in the league) and slow down the pass rush!
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Anyway, of our interviewees (assuming the list is complete) I'd rank them:

1. James William...Cooter. Great experience. Highly regarded until the Lions ground him into dust, as they tend to do. I'm very impressed with the passing game concepts the Jaguars used last year. I'd consider this a home run.

2. Shea Tierney. His work with Daniel Jones is damn impressive, and I love the McDermott Coaching Tree. He also coached for Nick Saban.

3. Todd Monken. I don't love that he's been out of the NFL for a few years, because much is changing. But his resume is impressive and I do like the idea of Implementing some of UGAs concepts here.

4. Dan Pitcher. I love coaches who've also scouted. It helps identifying tendencies. And he is Joe Burrow's position coach. But the resume in general is thin and being "Joe Burrow's QB Coach" is like being Ryan Gosling's Handsome Coach.

5. Ronald Curry. I'm not sure what about the Saints passing game makes Curry attractive. I don't think that's completely his fault, but I have to assume OBP likes the guy personally.

6. Klint Kubiak. You really have to mine the ore of the 2022 Broncos offense if you can. It just makes sense.

7. Keenan McCardell. I didn't know he was a coach and neither did you. Dude's a flake. Jeff Jagodzinski factor HIGH. Abort.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Interviews I'd Still Like To Happen (Not saying they WILL:)

- Eric Bienemy, Kansas City Chiefs OC. Hey Eric, want to prove it's not all about Andy? Come to Tampa. Todd Bowles won't even introduce himself to you. Offensive is all yours. And there are a few good pieces in place.

- Kevin Patullo, Passing Game Coordinator Eagles. We're not getting Brian Johnson. But there's no downside in shaking the tree a bit more.

- Bobby Slowik, Passing Game Coordinator 49ers. Shanny Jr is one of the best offensive minds in the league, and Slowik has spent several years with him. Lack of coaching experience is a factor, but so what? Leftwich had plenty.

- Paul Chryst, Former Wisconsin Coach. He has a long history as an offensive coach, and has been an NFL assistant before (for the Ryan Leaf Chargers, but he was coaching tight ends.) I've always been impressed with Wisconsin turning average offensive talent into "kick the shit out of you" offensive power football teams.

- Warren Ruggiero, Offensive Coordinator Wake Forest. When you measure talent vs results, he's the best offensive coordinator in college football.
Let's roll another joint
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:27 am Interviews I'd Still Like To Happen (Not saying they WILL:)

- Eric Bienemy, Kansas City Chiefs OC. Hey Eric, want to prove it's not all about Andy? Come to Tampa. Todd Bowles won't even introduce himself to you. Offensive is all yours. And there are a few good pieces in place.

- Bobby Slowik, Passing Game Coordinator 49ers. Shanny Jr is one of the best offensive minds in the league, and Slowik has spent several years with him. Lack of coaching experience is a factor, but so what? Leftwich had plenty.

- Warren Ruggiero, Offensive Coordinator Wake Forest. When you measure talent vs results, he's the best offensive coordinator in college football.
I would be all for interviews with these guys. I lean toward Ruggiero.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Thank you for that compilation @MJW
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Some talk the target could be Eagles QB coach Brian Johnson- who also happened to be Kyle Trasks former coach. Don’t know much about him, but he’s 36 years old and has done a great job with Jalen Hurts who’s developed as well as any QB recently. Plus both the Florida and Eagles offences were prolific.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:46 am Some talk the target could be Eagles QB coach Brian Johnson- who also happened to be Kyle Trasks former coach. Don’t know much about him, but he’s 36 years old and has done a great job with Jalen Hurts who’s developed as well as any QB recently. Plus both the Florida and Eagles offences were prolific.
Yep, that’s probably why Bucs OC search continues

CBS sports latest mock draft has the Bucs to trade up to select Will Levis QB from Kentucky…eh
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Phantom wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:30 am
real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:46 am Some talk the target could be Eagles QB coach Brian Johnson- who also happened to be Kyle Trasks former coach. Don’t know much about him, but he’s 36 years old and has done a great job with Jalen Hurts who’s developed as well as any QB recently. Plus both the Florida and Eagles offences were prolific.

CBS sports latest mock draft has us totrade up to select Will Levis QB from Kentucky…eh

That would be for three draft picks - right?
In my opinion that's a terrible way to swing for the fence.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I’d be pissed if we took a QB this year, let alone traded up. Let’s give Trask his shot, and if he fails, next years QB class is epic
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:39 am I’d be pissed if we took a QB this year, let alone traded up. Let’s give Trask his shot, and if he fails, next years QB class is epic

Ehh, after the top 100 - swing for the fence if inclined..
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What? Maybe six QB's go in the top 100
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

On paper you're right RBF, but really we don't know. I mean how many times have we said that just to have the draft class whiff? Quite frankly we've been pretty bad at hitting on QBs, the guys dominating the league now got no respect in their drafts except Burrow. For all I know Levis is the next incredible thing and he leads us deep into the playoffs year 1. Next years class is more Rosens and Darnolds. Who knows.

The new OC will have a big say in how much we should swing for a QB in this draft. This isn't going to be Bruce Allen forcing Simms down Gruden's throat.

Brian Johnson remains at the top of my list. He's right in the thick of a cutting-edge offense, working with the most important position, but at the same time actually has experience calling plays and doing so successfully. How many guys we've interviewed can say they have both? Added bonus is that the success came with our current QB. It just makes too much sense.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

CBS sports latest mock draft has the Bucs to trade up to select Will Levis QB from Kentucky…eh
Id love a bold move like that. Levis has tons of potential and could give our new OC someone to mold and develop.

It would be costly, but if it hits then nobody will remember or care about how much we paid to move up and draft him.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Like I said - he would be looking at his feet on the bench while teams run 8/10 play scoring drives.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Well, CBS Sports needs to be wrong. That's all.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:48 pm

Nobody seems to like that kid. Universally panned. Why’d he going so high in mocks?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 pm

Nobody seems to like that kid. Universally panned. Why’d he going so high in mocks?
To be honest, I was just kidding. I don't know this kid from Adam. I watched his highlights on YT which, of course, looked great. I mean, they're highlights. Those always look great. In the highlights, you can see he has good size, makes good, accurate throws, and can zip the ball when needed. But, again, those were highlights.

But, as we're all very aware, you can't judge a player by his highlights alone. I'm sure someone in here could go look at some game tape and give us a much better breakdown of this kid's abilities. In the Draft Forum of course. :D
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 pm

He lacks production. He transferred from Penn State and usually you hope a guy takes off when he transfers (Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields). Levis was….meh…when he transferred to Kentucky. 43 TDs/23 INTs in 24 games at Kentucky. Never hit 3000 yards in either season. In his 5th year he regressed.

But trading up we’d likely be looking for him to start. That’s a lot to put on a kid that never showed consistent production in college.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 pm
We’re either waiting for the Super Bowl coaches or we have no clue what to do. Reminds me of the time we spent 3+ weeks interviewing coach after coach to replace Raheem Morris and settled on Greg Schiano. Could be another situation where we get a bunch of names for the hat and then 1 day blindly pull one out.

Oh and speaking of Morris, he’s a finalist for the Colts job.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You get like Brian Johnson, draft Broderick Jones and Josh Downs for him and Trask. Let it rip.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I can't wait for the meltdowns when the hire is made and it's not what people think they want. It will be fun to watch.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:46 pm I can't wait for the meltdowns when the hire is made and it's not what people think they want. It will be fun to watch.
No doubt itll be some random assistant from a 20-something ranked offense and a team that didn’t even make the playoffs, like this guy we interviewed today.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I like a thorough search but I’m getting nervous fam
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:05 pm I like a thorough search but I’m getting nervous fam
Thorough doesn’t always mean plentiful.
Last edited by King Bootz on Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:08 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:05 pm I like a thorough search but I’m getting nervous fam
Thorough doesn’t always been plentiful.
What in the mdb did you just say?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

After Sunday there will be no excuse not to have the offensive staff in place... but... this is the Buccaneers. Bowles will announce he wants to be like Bill so he is going to let his DC call the offense. By game two he will realize that is him.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Moozician wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:44 pm

Welp - i think you just coined a phrase. Well played, sir, well played!
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

13F11B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:00 am After Sunday there will be no excuse not to have the offensive staff in place... but... this is the Buccaneers. Bowles will announce he wants to be like Bill so he is going to let his DC call the offense. By game two he will realize that is him.
:lol:
I said what I said

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Moozician wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:44 pm

Yea, meant to say “mean”
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:46 pm I can't wait for the meltdowns when the hire is made and it's not what people think they want. It will be fun to watch.
No doubt itll be some random assistant from a 20-something ranked offense and a team that didn’t even make the playoffs, like this guy we interviewed today.
That would be so on brand for this team.