Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by BucsNBills »

Surprised we let him leave without a deal in place.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We're probably waiting in line for Brian Johnson like everyone else.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:08 pm

Surprised we let him leave without a deal in place.
Don’t most interviews happen over zoom these days? I doubt that the Glazers are paying to fly these guys out to OBP for an OC interview.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

If Monken comes back it will speak well of this organization. If he is offered the job and turns it down, well, that says something as well. Of course, we may never know if the latter happens.
I said what I said

Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Monken comes here - accomplishes nothing
Goes to the browns - accomplishes nothing

Goes to a top team in CFB - wins

So if Raheem Morris went and got a coaching gig at Alabama and they won the CFB, would you want him back? I don’t understand.

This guy is obviously just the recipient of having the best players in CFB at his disposal. He already failed here. Why does anybody want him back????

Are we just going to revert to being a failure of an organization again? Are our 2/3 years of competing over?

Holy fuck please anybody but this guy
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 am Monken comes here - accomplishes nothing

So if Raheem Morris went and got a coaching gig at Alabama and they won the CFB, would you want him back? I don’t understand.

This guy is obviously just the recipient of having the best players in CFB at his disposal. He already failed here. Why does anybody want him back????

Are we just going to revert to being a failure of an organization again? Are our 2/3 years of competing over?

Because he called plays for a game that we scored 40 points. So obviously that'll happen every game.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

If it's Monken, it'll be Baker, Bennett (rookie), and Trask in training camp.

That's about as cheap as it gets for a quarterback room.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

With Tom retired... are we going to find out by Friday that Bowles is gone too? I am guessing the answer will be yes.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

13F11B wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:37 pm With Tom retired... are we going to find out by Friday that Bowles is gone too? I am guessing the answer will be yes.
Why would they fire him at this point? Just because Tom retired?

No way. All the hot HC candidates are spoken for. At this point either Bowles proves that he can coach up this squad without Brady and thus earn confidence moving forward with him, or we blow it up next season if/when he fails.
MJW

Post by MJW »

We interviewed Ronald Curry, currently part of the Saints staff.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’d almost prefer someone out of left field. Better chance it was a deep dive instead of low hanging obvious fruit.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 am Monken comes here - accomplishes nothing

I would unironically take Morris back as a DC for sure and potentially even as a HC. At the time that he was our HC it was clear that he wasn't there yet but there were a lot of things to like about him as a leader. I recall the players seeming to hold him in high regard. And hell, he had the best single season out of all of our coaches between Gruden and Arians. And he did it with probably less talent than Schiano, Lovie, or Koetter ever had.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:50 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:37 pm With Tom retired... are we going to find out by Friday that Bowles is gone too? I am guessing the answer will be yes.
Why would they fire him at this point? Just because Tom retired?
I am more thinking he was retained with the thought that if Tom came back there would be some continuity. At this point, that is no longer a concern. If Buccaneers brass now feels there is no need for that they might decide to move on.
Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:50 pm No way. All the hot HC candidates are spoken for. At this point either Bowles proves that he can coach up this squad without Brady and thus earn confidence moving forward with him, or we blow it up next season if/when he fails.
All the hot HC candidates? There are likely some still coaching, yes?
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

That's going to be a bad guess.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Four Verticals wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:17 pm
That's going to be a bad guess.
I am OK with bad guesses. Part of life.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

13F11B wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:50 pm Good read -- https://sports.yahoo.com/buccaneers-fac ... 37709.html
Good article with solid points. The Bucs defense was solid especially considering how inept the offense was, even with Brady. But the woefulness of the offensive line was not addressed in the article. The Bucs need to move on from #76 while saving some cap space, even if that means trading up to get a solid LT in the draft.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Our defense was not good, not even solid.

When we won our SB, our D was creating turnovers.

How many did we have this season? 2?

We definitely had to be in the lower quadrant of the league in terms of turnover rate
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

We went from #5 and #6 in turnovers 2021/2022 to #24 in 2022

Garbage.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:03 pm Our defense was not good, not even solid.

We definitely had to be in the lower quadrant of the league in terms of turnover rate
We allowed 27.4 PPG against 2022 playoff teams, a number that looks even worse without the extreme outlier of the 3 point opening week, which the Cowboys later avenged.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:16 am
Sdbucs wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:03 pm Our defense was not good, not even solid.

We allowed 27.4 PPG against 2022 playoff teams, a number that looks even worse without the extreme outlier of the 3 point opening week, which the Cowboys later avenged.
Bowles is not a good leader of men. He has zero charisma. He doesn't give off that McVay like energy. He offers nothing to the offense. And his defense has always been suspect at best, and this year just plain bad when it actually mattered.

Sooo.....Todd Bowles....

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:09 pm We went from #5 and #6 in turnovers 2021/2022 to #24 in 2022

Garbage.

Some due to film study and players talking is my guess. 20 takeaway's and 22 giveaway's.
All while playing broken.
A film study guy like Nobody could show all of our defensive holding penalty's and then find 200 more that were never called league wide.
Those are the times where our earhole hears the announcer say "ehh I think they may have gotten away with one".

The magic times it's caught and the magic times it isnt..
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:31 am
MJW wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:16 am

Bowles is not a good leader of men. He has zero charisma. He doesn't give off that McVay like energy. He offers nothing to the offense. And his defense has always been suspect at best, and this year just plain bad when it actually mattered.

Sooo.....Todd Bowles....

Is that what leaders of men need? Charisma?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The longer it takes to name an OC the more likely I think it is that Bowles is shown the door.
Snake

Post by Snake »

13F11B wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 am The longer it takes to name an OC the more likely I think it is that Bowles is shown the door.
No chance, brother.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Greg Roman. Draft Richardson #19. Fight me.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Our defense has strengths and weaknesses like every defense. It has an ebb and flow.

It's a shoot out defense that uses the clock as a weapon. Now before you say "well all defenses are good when you're offense puts up 30 ppg", that's not true.
How many absolutely dominant offense have ended up falling short because of leaky defenses couldn't hang in a shoot out? Bowles grave diggers were the perfect compliment to Arians. The more you abandon the run and short passes and pushed it down field the more you feed our defense strength. It snowballs and can straight bury you. And they really just need a small lead to really take it from there.

You want to create a sense of panic in the opponents offense that lasts all game. Our sweet spots tho are the second halfs of the 2nd and 4th quarters. This is why starting fast is so crucial. You just need a small lead, enough to make the other team want to really push before the half. Nothing neuters this defense more than a opponent happy take it to the half.

But if they are not happy, the running clock and a healthy pass rush tend to set up our opportunistic players up for a turn over. Usually with good field position and enough time for us to get some points of our own before the half, further increasing our lead and empowing our defense.
"Points off a turn over before the half" is our go to power move, our first nail in the coffin. Everything funnels into triggering that event.
The final nail comes during a similar series of events plays out in the 4th.

This is a good defense. A game winning defense. A chip winning defense. It just needs a complimentary offense. And it doesn't need to be a Arians 30-burger one either. Just one that can start fast, trigger the snowballs, and close out.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:34 am Greg Roman. Draft Richardson #19. Fight me.
You willing to trade up for Richardson in order to see that plan through?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:52 am

Our defense has strengths and weaknesses like every defense. It has an ebb and flow.

It's a shoot out defense that uses the clock as a weapon. Now before you say "well all defenses are good when you're offense puts up 30 ppg", that's not true.
How many absolutely dominant offense have ended up falling short because of leaky defenses couldn't hang in a shoot out? Bowles grave diggers were the perfect compliment to Arians. The more you abandon the run and short passes and pushed it down field the more you feed our defense strength. It snowballs and can straight bury you. And they really just need a small lead to really take it from there.

You want to create a sense of panic in the opponents offense that lasts all game. Our sweet spots tho are the second halfs of the 2nd and 4th quarters. This is why starting fast is so crucial. You just need a small lead, enough to make the other team want to really push before the half. Nothing neuters this defense more than a opponent happy take it to the half.

But if they are not happy, the running clock and a healthy pass rush tend to set up our opportunistic players up for a turn over. Usually with good field position and enough time for us to get some points of our own before the half, further increasing our lead and empowing our defense.
"Points off a turn over before the half" is our go to power move, our first nail in the coffin. Everything funnels into triggering that event.
The final nail comes during a similar series of events plays out in the 4th.

This is a good defense. A game winning defense. A chip winning defense. It just needs a complimentary offense. And it doesn't need to be a Arians 30-burger one either. Just one that can start fast, trigger the snowballs, and close out.
I agree.

It's hard for a defense to play aggressively when the offense can't get a lead. It's even harder when the offense can't run the ball to control the pace of the game.

In the former scenario, one gets hesitant to take chances with blitzes and trap coverages and other risky tactical decisions because you have no margin for error if/when they backfire. In the latter situation, a defense runs the risk of being on the field the majority of the game, leading to physical fatigue which opens the door to mental errors which allows large gains and points.

Our defense this last year was pretty good despite getting little to no help from the offense. Not bad for playing damage control the majority of the time.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Agree. The reason turnovers were down so much this season is Bowles was never really able to sick the dogs on anyone.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:34 am Greg Roman. Draft Richardson #19. Fight me.
No, but I do find it to be a somewhat interesting plan if a team was willing to commit to it the way the Ravens did.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:51 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 am

No, but I do find it to be a somewhat interesting plan if a team was willing to commit to it the way the Ravens did.
I mean he helped Jackson get an MVP, so I'm not against the idea. Jackson had similar concerns coming into the league with accuracy and processing.

Evans and Godwin would be good fits for his offense as well given how much run blocking they do.

If anyone could get max value out of someone like Richardson year 1 it would be Greg Roman.

I've yet to hear his name in the OC circuit either and honestly we may not be in the position to be too picky..
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I looked at Monken’s offense at GA a little bit. I saw:

* A lot of Split Zone runs (Zone one way where you bring a TE or WR underneath the formation to kick out the backside End). That is a fit for Godwin and our move TEs and White’s vision. Also designed Cutbacks off this.

* Zone runs + Pin and Pull on the edge.

* A LOT of Play-action.

* A lot of Screen variation (HB and perimeter) and counters off of them.

* A lot of Wide Stacks and 11 personnel.

* A lot of Jet motion and action off of it (including their Split Zone run game).

* A lot of pre-snap motion and shifts.

* A lot of 3 verts + Over or Under route + HB route opposite the Over/Under.

* Some RPO.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Nobody wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:19 am I looked at Monken’s offense at GA a little bit. I saw:

* A lot of Split Zone runs (Zone one way where you bring a TE or WR underneath the formation to kick out the backside End). That is a fit for Godwin and our move TEs and White’s vision. Also designed Cutbacks off this.

* Zone runs + Pin and Pull on the edge.

* A LOT of Play-action.

* A lot of Screen variation (HB and perimeter) and counters off of them.

* A lot of Wide Stacks and 11 personnel.

* A lot of Jet motion and action off of it (including their Split Zone run game).

* A lot of pre-snap motion and shifts.

* A lot of 3 verts + Over or Under route + HB route opposite the Over/Under.

* Some RPO.
Sounds like a modern offense.

I'll forever be perplexed that we had Brady, who was literally the highest graded passer from PA passing, but we decided to use PA the fewest times in the league.

it would be akin to having Lamar Jackson as your QB and being the offense with the fewest designed QB runs.

Unforgivable malpractice.