Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by Doctor »

I mean, if he's down for a lateral move where he'll get all the credit and blame for the offense...
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Seems like that’s the advice he’s been given. Remove the doubt that it’s all Andy Reid and you’ll get a shot at being a head coach.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Amazing how the goal posts continue to move for Bienemy in a way that they never had to move for Brad Childress, Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy, all of whom did less as OC than what Bienemy has while working with Reid.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:22 pm Amazing how the goal posts continue to move for Bienemy in a way that they never had to move for Brad Childress, Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy.
We have no idea how he interviews or what he brings to the table in them. What are his philosophies? Does he bring in his own playbook and concepts?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:24 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:22 pm Amazing how the goal posts continue to move for Bienemy in a way that they never had to move for Brad Childress, Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy.
We have no idea how he interviews or what he brings to the table in them. What are his philosophies? Does he bring in his own playbook and concepts?
Like I said, moving the goal posts.

This is a copycat league. Andy Reid got his playbook and concepts from Mike Holmgren. All of the OCs under Reid ran the exact same offense Reid & Holmgrem do/did.

Yet Bienemy has to be the 1st coach hired to bring his own concepts and playbook. Don't you love it?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:35 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:24 pm

This is a copycat league. Andy Reid got his playbook and concepts from Mike Holmgren. All of the OCs under Reid ran the exact same offense Reid & Holmgrem do/did.

Yet Bienemy has to be the 1st coach hired to bring his own concepts and playbook. Don't you love it?
Yes? We just interviewed Keenan McCardell. He’s a WR coach with no OC experience. If he just rolled into the interview with, “yeah, we just throw it to Justin Jefferson and hand it to Dalvin cook” I don’t think anyone hires him.

The main questions for Bienemy must be what do you bring to the table when Andy Reid won’t be here? What do you do without Mahomes? He must not answer them well.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:40 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:35 pm

Yes? We just interviewed Keenan McCardell. He’s a WR coach with no OC experience. If he just rolled into the interview with, “yeah, we just throw it to Justin Jefferson and hand it to Dalvin cook” I don’t think anyone hires him.

The main questions for Bienemy must be what do you bring to the table when Andy Reid won’t be here? What do you do without Mahomes? He must not answer them well.
If an interview for a HC position is the same as an interview for am OC position, that's probably an organization you don't wanna work for.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:47 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:40 pm

If an interview for a HC position is the same as an interview for am OC position, that's probably an organization you don't wanna work for.
You lost me. The point was being prepared for the job you’re interviewing for. Bienemy has been the OC for the Chiefs through a lot of successful seasons, and he’s had a lot of interviews now for an HC job. You’re saying there’s a non-football reason he isn’t getting a promotion. I’m saying there isn’t. We can agree to disagree.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:10 pm

You lost me. The point was being prepared for the job you’re interviewing for. Bienemy has been the OC for the Chiefs through a lot of successful seasons, and he’s had a lot of interviews now for an HC job. You’re saying there’s a non-football reason he isn’t getting a promotion. I’m saying there isn’t. We can agree to disagree.
Then what's the reason?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:11 pm

Then what's the reason?
My speculation? Teams are worried he’s Byron Leftwich.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:15 pm

Then what's the reason?
After 5 seasons as an OC of a perennial top 5 offense and 17 interviews you think teams are worried he can't coordinate an offense? Why would you believe that?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:19 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:15 pm

After 5 seasons as an OC of a perennial top 5 offense and 17 interviews you think teams are worried he can't coordinate an offense? Why would you believe that?
They’re worried he can’t coordinate an offense without Andy Reid the same way Byron couldn’t coordinate one without Bruce.

I’m not saying it’s warranted. Just offering a potential explanation.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:23 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:19 pm

They’re worried he can’t coordinate an offense without Andy Reid the same way Byron couldn’t coordinate one without Bruce.

I’m not saying it’s warranted. Just offering a potential explanation.
But that worry wasn't there for Childress, Pederson & Nagy despite less experience?
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Didnt the Texans interview him and then ended up hiring Lovie?
He has also interviewed with the Lions, Chargers, bucs, browns, jets and Bengals. All of which have had black HCs.
I dont think its a race thing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Re: Kellen Moore

Wow. From one of the hot names to canned.

Life comes at you fast in the NFL.

Edit: I guess he just wasn’t renewed.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW

Post by MJW »

Then what's the reason?
I've explained this logic multiple times, but here it is again:

Is Bienemy getting interviewed? Yes.
Are other minority coaches getting interviewed? Yes.
Is Bienemy getting hired after being interviewed? No.
Are other minority coaches getting hired after being interviewed? Yes.

Logical conclusion: Something is happening in these interviews to cause teams to go in another direction based on them. There's no reason to believe these are sham interviews - again, other minority coaches have been getting jobs (not in the numbers anyone wants to see, but still.) But something about this guy in interviews is costing him jobs. We can only speculate what. Maybe he's not coming in prepared. Maybe he's unable to answer questions on the fly. Maybe he's simply not skilled at communicating his ideas, or his vision. I have no idea. But black coaches ARE getting hired and he IS getting interviews.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:05 pm Brady is the biggest hit, once that's off the books it's gravy again.

And we can use our 2024 and 2025 to sign guys back. We already doing it with LVD.
If we sign him again, we'll just shove that cap hit back. Him coming back in 2022 is why we have that massive cap charge in 2023. Him coming back in 2023 will shove that cap hit (and more) onto the 2024 cap. Eventually the bill will come due.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 pm Re: Kellen Moore

We'd be foolish not to interview him. The Cowboys do NOT have an elite offensive group right now. And last year they were beset by injuries - they had 8 guys start games on the OL this year. Michael Gallup never looked close to healthy. Cooper Rush started 5 games. They had to start 3 different tight ends. And they finished 3rd in points scored.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Why would Moore come here? I would wonder why any “hot” coordinator would come here when we don’t know who the QB is going to be.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Advice: Do not discuss things with Bootz. They only see their side and will not consider what you are saying unless you 100% see it their way. Let it go. It will be better for the board.
Last edited by 13F11B on Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 pm Re: Kellen Moore

Yeah, not quite the same as Leftwhich, but similar. They both went from hot HC candidates to not wanted in their current positions quickly. The NFL is fickle.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:22 am Why would Moore come here? I would wonder why any “hot” coordinator would come here when we don’t know who the QB is going to be.
Potential answers to this question:

One, he'd generally be left alone by the head coach here. He'd be in a position to get all the credit for what the offense accomplishes. Huge potential springboard to a HC job in the very near future, and not something he'd enjoy at most of these jobs. In fact, something he's never had in his career under Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy.

Two, he'd have a ton of input on who the quarterback could be. Cooper Rush is a free agent who will probably be affordable. If Moore can continue working with him and get him to a high level of play, that prospect has to be attractive to him. And I think he could.

Three, despite quarterback questions, we still have a fair amount of offensive talent to work with. Two pro bowl receivers, for one thing. A talented young back who probably reminds him a bit of Tony Pollard. ETC.

Four, there is a very real scenario where he ascends to the job when Bowles is fired at the end of next year, a la Dirk Koetter.

Five, money. Of course. And Florida not having a state income tax is not a small thing when you're making millions.

Does any of this mean he'd want to come here? No. But these are all factors that could be in play.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Valid enough points. Assuming he’s offered a job with say, San Diego though, I don’t know why he’d choose to come here to have Cooper Rush and Kyle Trask battle it out.
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:23 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:22 am Why would Moore come here? I would wonder why any “hot” coordinator would come here when we don’t know who the QB is going to be.
Four, there is a very real scenario where he ascends to the job when Bowles is fired at the end of next year, a la Dirk Koetter.
This came to mind for me, as well.

We know Moore has HC aspirations. He interviewed for the TCU job before last season. And Philly Eagles job. And Boise State job.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Y'all realize the chargers can't hire every OC right?
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Early on Moore looked like a young star offensive mind, but Dallas fans grew tired of his play calling which became predictable ala Leftwich. He could be another Leftwich or he could be Moore lol

My target at OC would be that young offensive genius type who could take the step to OC and perhaps fast track to HC if Bowles continues to stink.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:03 am My target at OC would be that young offensive genius type who could take the step to OC and perhaps fast track to HC if Bowles continues to stink.
I think those waters are very muddy. If the OC has success then Bowles would have to get some credit for replacing Leftwich. I dunno. This whole off-season seems murky has hell to me right now.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Hold up. I thought people wanted an OC who was forward thinking and got creative with their play designs and calling. The Cowboys have been anything but creative. Their offense is very throwback. They quite honestly are what people thought Arians offense was. Except in reality they actually do run it a ton on 1st down, 3rd most 1st down rush attempts in football compared to 32nd most for the Bucs.

The difference is and always has Dallas had players who fit the offense and didn't have to do another more than they were asked. This allowed them to execute.

Kellen Moore comes here with his run heavy offense. People expecting this Oline to all of a sudden become a juggernaut? Keep dreaming.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Don’t want Moore.

If he was 45 y/o people wouldn’t give 2 shits
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Moore to the Chargers anyway.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Wanting creativity for creativity sake is dumb. It just needs to work.

What you need is enough creativity to keep your offense floating through 8 OL injuries like Moore did and Lefty could not.

I don't know how you look at the names we've interviewed so far and not think Moore a better option.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

This is sadly the reality of our situation. No QB, no cap space, rapidly aging roster and a potential lame duck HC. The big draw would be the HC not likely dictating how to run the offense to you, and the off chance that Brady may come back. But it may not be worth it if the risk of being one and done after a down year.

Though at this point, all the “sexy” big name OC candidates have already taken other jobs so all that may not matter. Just gotta hope a good potential up and coming candidate doesn’t pass on the job.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So Eagles just not letting anyone interview or...
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Assuming Roman doesn't get hired elsewhere, having him as the run coordinator and Monken as the overall OC would be a great basis to work from imo.