Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
13F11B

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:01 am Just like when you wrote Leftwich was r fired because of racism but then realized it never said anything remotely close to that in the story.
I never wrote that. You might want to check the thread again.
nybf wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:01 am *sigh* were gonna keep playing that stupid fucking game where you didn't flame out on BZ because you thought the admin there, with help from the Chinese, was secretly editing your posts?
Are you going to keep playing this game of trying to expose some fantastic secret about posters like you are a supermarket tabloid magazine? Are you the same person who keeps talking about how people have smurf accounts? Do you live in a delusional world of high drama? Do you believe you are part of MI6?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:10 am Have the Buccaneers actually had any confirmed interviews for the job yet? Seems like every other team with a coordinator opening is having them. Or do we already have someone (presumably, from the Eagles, 49ers, Bengals, or Chiefs) on a handshake deal?
Bucs to interview Jim Bob Cooter and Klint Kubiak for OC job

https://thepewterplank.com/2023/01/24/b ... interview/
Snake

Post by Snake »

Is “Klint” Gary’s son? Has to be.

Football is no more immune from nepotism than any other sport.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:50 pm Is “Klint” Gary’s son? Has to be.

Football is no more immune from nepotism than any other sport.
Yes and it's worse than most (though not as bad as broadcasting.)

If you're the son of a successful coach you probably have a million times greater chance of getting to coach yourself than anyone else would. Many industries operate like this but the NFL is over the top at this point.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Yes to Jim Bob Cooter.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Greg Roman and Anthony Richardson in the draft for me.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:07 pm Yes to Jim Bob Cooter.
Interesting candidate for sure. Anyone got any insight into his offence? Seems to work with big armed QBs.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Interesting. I did not have those guys on my radar. Both are interesting.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I would say yes to Cooter. Anybody on Doug Pederson’s staff is a plus. So jealous of the Jags they got him as a coach and we got fucking Todd Bowles.

As for Kubrick, how the fuck is he a candidate? Wasnt he the qb coach for Denver and Russell Wilson?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 am I would say yes to Cooter. Anybody on Doug Pederson’s staff is a plus. So jealous of the Jags they got him as a coach and we got fucking Todd Bowles.

As for Kubrick, how the fuck is he a candidate? Wasnt he the qb coach for Denver and Russell Wilson?
Like @Snake and @MJW discussed, nepotism is big in the NFL. "Gary Kubiak's gotta kid?! Let's get him in the building!"
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 am As for Kubrick, how the fuck is he a candidate? Wasnt he the qb coach for Denver and Russell Wilson?
Name recognition. Kinda like hearing Kennan McCardell is in the running. I did not even know the guy was a coach. It is not often a receivers coach transitions to OC though.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:40 pm
Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 am As for Kubrick, how the fuck is he a candidate? Wasnt he the qb coach for Denver and Russell Wilson?
Name recognition. Kinda like hearing Kennan McCardell is in the running. I did not even know the guy was a coach. It is not often a receivers coach transitions to OC though.
No they usually transition straight to being HCs
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I have decided it will be Monken. And I am good with that.
I said what I said

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm I have decided it will be Monken. And I am good with that.
Have they even interviewed him?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:44 am
Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm I have decided it will be Monken. And I am good with that.
Have they even interviewed him?
I think they have but I am not certain
I said what I said

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Kellen Moore, if he’s available.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Try to coax Larry Kehres for the position.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Who do we think Brady would like? Probably in his decision making process.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

A Sid Gillman protégée.
MJW

Post by MJW »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:57 pm Who do we think Brady would like? Probably in his decision making process.
Can I ask a general question? Not directed at this point specifically.

If Brady came back, does anyone here really think this team will be in the position to win a title in 2023? Why?
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:18 am
_MB_ wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:57 pm Who do we think Brady would like? Probably in his decision making process.

If Brady came back, does anyone here really think this team will be in the position to win a title in 2023? Why?
Because Tom Brady has 7 SB rings and he beat father time.

Or at least that's what the people are saying.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:20 am

Because Tom Brady has 7 SB rings and he beat father time.

Or at least that's what the people are saying.
This team is so far from the level of the best teams in the league, and the idea that a new OC combined with...healthy Ryan Jensen...will elevate us onto the level with them is so ridiculous to me. The OL wasn't a Ryan Jensen away from being good. No depth anywhere. And I guess we're supposed to ignore that Bowles's vaunted D gave up 27 PPG against playoff teams last year - a number that goes up to 31 without the Week 1 oddity that the Cowboys avenged...Oh, and Toilet Bowles is still here.

People need to watch the 49ers and Eagles tomorrow and ask themselves if they actually think there's anything we can do this offseason to get to that level.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

It depends on what type of title we would be competing for.

For a division title? Sure. Our division is a dumpster fire, one that I don't see getting better anytime soon, and we can once again be its kings if our NFC South opponents keep sucking.

For a Superbowl? Doubtful. We are about to lose several kilotons worth of talent that we can no longer afford, particularly on defense. Hard decisions will need to be made to even reach cap neutrality, and we are going to need to get even more space than that to afford our rookies (~$10 million needed at the moment to afford our current picks), not to mention having some cash on hand to make moves in-season and the round out the roster. This team has a very high likelihood of being an objectively worse roster, with the offense all in a new system working out the kinks and the defense losing several decades of cumulative NFL experience.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:35 am

It depends on what type of title we would be competing for.

For a division title? Sure. Our division is a dumpster fire, one that I don't see getting better anytime soon, and we can once again be its kings if our NFC South opponents keep sucking.

For a Superbowl? Doubtful. We are about to lose several kilotons worth of talent that we can no longer afford, particularly on defense. Hard decisions will need to be made to even reach cap neutrality, and we are going to need to get even more space than that to afford our rookies (~$10 million needed at the moment to afford our current picks), not to mention having some cash on hand to make moves in-season and the round out the roster. This team has a very high likelihood of being an objectively worse roster, with the offense all in a new system working out the kinks and the defense losing several decades of cumulative NFL experience.
It's hard for me to see many of our free agents being offered lucrative contracts. Also many could be ending in a short term negative way. Not having a roster commanding millions in guaranteed money could turn out a positive.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

LVD, Jamel Dean, Gholston, Edwards, SMB, Anthony Nelson, Nacho, Ryan, Neal, Delaney, Nassib. All contributors. All free agents on defense.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:37 am LVD, Jamel Dean, Gholston, Edwards, SMB, Anthony Nelson, Nacho, Ryan, Neal, Delaney, Nassib. All contributors. All free agents on defense.
And with the Bucs 55 million over next seasons salary cap, the Bucs don't have the money to sign any of these players. The Bucs need to restructure a bunch of players contracts to get under the salary cap. But to do so, it means kicking the salary cap problem down the road. The Bucs just need to bite the bullet next season so they can become competitive in future years.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

The offense needs to be rebuilt. Right now we have skill position guys and a couple of good o-linemen.

Need a starting LT if the current one has to go.
Need a couple of interior o-linemen and a swing tackle
Need at least two more guys in the RB room.
Three more guys in the WR room
At least one more guy in the TE room

And a starting quarterback.

And all of these guys have to be cheap. If Tom Brady wants to solve the issue at QB for another season while we go out and get all these other guys that's a load off my mind as a fan.

Championship? Who better than Brady?

I'll say it again, Tom Brady can play QB for the Bucs for as long as he wants.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:37 am LVD, Jamel Dean, Gholston, Edwards, SMB, Anthony Nelson, Nacho, Ryan, Neal, Delaney, Nassib. All contributors. All free agents on defense.

We have trouble with containment, tackling, not enough speed, inability to win one on ones, communication. Some of these players are twilighting their careers and some are lucky to have been with us.

We will need players on fire knowing there are opportunities to make a mark here. I think LVD, Gholston would love to close out here. Others got to hope they make a quick mark with their new team, either way a clock will start ticking for them as well. If Licht goes nuts signing aging vets with no fire, it would be better to sign rookie UDFA's that would chew their arm off for the chance.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

_MB_ wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:07 am

The offense needs to be rebuilt. Right now we have skill position guys and a couple of good o-linemen.

And all of these guys have to be cheap. If Tom Brady wants to solve the issue at QB for another season while we go out and get all these other guys that's a load off my mind as a fan.

17 of our 27 free agents are on defense and I have to laugh at your pickem off a tree offensive list. I guess Joe Gilbert and Harold Goodwin will inform Todd on who shouldnt be around anymore on the offensive line but you should know Stinnie and Leverette are the only ones whose contracts are up. The o-line was the most worked on unit all year long, they were in the longboat getting thrashed to keep it moving. Throwing bodies overboard just means more blood on the whip.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The free agent list in 2024 is 14 players with Devin White and Anthony Chesley on defense.

Gotta make good picks and teach the UDFA's hard for two years. my opinion.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:32 am
_MB_ wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:07 am

17 of our 27 free agents are on defense and I have to laugh at your pickem off a tree offensive list. I guess Joe Gilbert and Harold Goodwin will inform Todd on who shouldnt be around anymore on the offensive line but you should know Stinnie and Leverette are the only ones whose contracts are up. The o-line was the most worked on unit all year long, they were in the longboat getting thrashed to keep it moving. Throwing bodies overboard just means more blood on the whip.
All the more reason to remain open to the possibility of Brady playing another season if he wants to.

Why invite the challenge of finding a savior quarterback on top of everything else that needs fixed?
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Give me LVD and maybe Edwards. I’d take Dean, but he’s probably too expensive for us. Hard to pay 2 corners.

The rest can walk the plank.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

With as much parity as there is in the league and the rather fickle nature of injuries I believe any team can experience a single season turn around. Far easier with a 7-9 win team than a 2 win team. In plain terms, yes the Buccaneers logically could make a leap in 2023. They could make that leap with or without Brady. Do I expect that the team will? No. I do not expect that with Bowles as HC.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Big Irv

But! You can't do free agent for free agent. By signing a player who isnt even as good as the player we let go - you rub your face in it and lose your draft pick.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Brady is the biggest hit, once that's off the books it's gravy again.

And we can use our 2024 and 2025 to sign guys back. We already doing it with LVD.