Should Licht be fired?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should Licht be fired?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:01 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 35

BucsNBills

Re: Should Licht be fired?

Post by BucsNBills »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:09 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:27 am And I'm sorry but I also don't by this "full on rebuild" nonsense either. People said the said thing when they were trying to get rid of Winston.

FFS every time you're unsure about QB does not mean you have to "rebuild", which is usually just code for "tank for a qb hero".
The team is 40 million plus OVER the cap and lacks young talent basically everywhere with the exception of Wirfs and Winfield. We might have one of the worst rosters in the league on paper next year while being desperate for cap space, that’s a rebuild lol. When we moved on from Winston we had a ton of cap space and the team was trending up from a talent perspective.

If it were just Brady walking away from a young team with some cap space, then that’s different. But we dried up our resources trying to win another Super Bowl and now we need to rebuild the entire roster.
Yes, anyone that's not a blind homer can we we're SHOULD be in full rebuild mode. Which is exactly why licht has to go because I don't believe he's going to have the guts to fully admit that this roster is trash and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. There's going to be too many players from the super bowl team still under contract and Licht will lie to himself and try to "restock" and just put us into purgatory.

The worst thing a rebuilding team can do is not realize and admit they're a rebuilding team. We're in high danger of living in that reality, which is why we need a new GM who doesn't have any emotional attachment to the players on this roster.

Not to mention the fact his last two drafts have left a lot to be desired...
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

What kinda deal you giving AWJ? 3 concussions in 2 years. Ankle injuries. He's on the smaller side as a safety but he plays like he's Kam Chancellor. Could be another Bob Sanders.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:16 am What kinda deal you giving AWJ? 3 concussions in 2 years. Ankle injuries. He's on the smaller side as a safety but he plays like he's Kam Chancellor. Could be another Bob Sanders.
I'm not giving him any deal. He plays his 4th season, and then I franchise tag him for the 5th. If he demonstrates his brains aren't scrambled eggs and he can stay healthy, then a longer term deal can be put into place.
Last edited by BucsNBills on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:16 am What kinda deal you giving AWJ? 3 concussions in 2 years. Ankle injuries. He's on the smaller side as a safety but he plays like he's Kam Chancellor. Could be another Bob Sanders.
Would you rather pay D. White or AWJ? I think that's what it comes down to.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:18 am
I'm not paying DW anything. Someone else can give him a Roquan Smith deal, and then bemoan every whiffed tackle and miss coverage assignment. In fact, I'm actively shopping DW this off-season to get his $11mil off the books.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Pay Winfield, for sure. If you had to pick one.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

It’s definitely a concern. It’s something to talk about too because he’s got one year left on his deal. The team has big decisions to make with him and Devin White and where to take the defense. All the talk about where we go moving on from Brady, but we might have to move on from most of the defensive core that won Super Bowl LV. A solid chunk of guys are already gone (Suh, Pierre-Paul, Whitehead) and I expect even more to join the list this offseason. The only guy that’s truly safe going forward is Vea IMO.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

DW. Best ability is availability. I'm having Bob Sanders flash backs everytime AWJ barrels himself into a RB or TE or WR to make a tackle.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am
DW. Best ability is availability. I'm having Bob Sanders flash backs everytime AWJ barrels himself into a RB or TE or WR to make a tackle.
That only applies when the player isn't a straight up liability, which DW is.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I think saying 2023 is the final year both could be in Bucs uniforms isn't hyperbole or an overreaction.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:50 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am

Right. The drop from Winfield to a replacement level player is significant. The drop from white to a replacement player…. it may actually be an incline.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Some of you are saying rebuild when you really mean tank and it's really rather gross
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 pm Some of you are saying rebuild when you really mean tank and it's really rather gross
They think it's the quickest way to build a championship team because reasons. As if the Browns, Lions, Commanders, Jets haven't been "tanking" for years. It's literally the most ridiculous thing.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 pm Some of you are saying rebuild when you really mean tank and it's really rather gross
I do not want the team to tank, but the current team is scheduled to fall apart due to the salary cap. I also can not imagine too many more players being willing to restructure a cap friendly deal unless Brady comes back.

For me it is two things:
1) The current coaching staff sucks (Bowles too) and needs to be replaced
2) The team needs to clear it cap hit in future years to get back to being able to fill holes with FAs
3) The team should not invest more time in Bowles. He failed in NY. He failed with the Goat. One year was enough to see he does not have 'it'.

That means rebuilding.

The process of rebuilding could end up resulting in a top 5 pick in the 2024 draft just due to all the changes. Reality not a desired outcome.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:02 pm
The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:50 am

Right. The drop from Winfield to a replacement level player is significant. The drop from white to a replacement player…. it may actually be an incline.
Yea KJ Britt is so much better.......Solid take.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

It’s not about tanking. It’s just understanding the situation, the Bucs are set to have one of the NFL’s worst rosters in 2023. This is with one of the worst QB situations and being 40 million dollars over the cap when the new league year opens.

The best scenario short term is restructuring deals enough to open up space to get a Jimmy G, Carr or Baker to try and go for another NFC South title while the division is still weak. This would be the worst case long term though because teams like Atlanta and Carolina are loading up on talented young guys and have more premium picks incoming with cap space to upgrade the roster. We can set ourselves up to do the same, it just sadly requires a rough transition period. It’s what the team signed up for when they started doing this kind of stuff after the Super Bowl.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:02 pm

Yea KJ Britt is so much better.......Solid take.
Still doesn't make Devin White a good LBer for anything but pass rushing. We should move him to one of the OLB spots if we're determined to keep him and let him be an edge rusher.

Anything to keep him out of coverage.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:18 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 pm Fire Licht? Are we serious right now?

Like some of you are just desperate to go back to the dark ages aren't you
Licht was 39-62 before the best player of all time fell into his lap. A player who was set to sign with another team before they inexplicably pulled out. And was left with two total offers. One being the Bucs.

39-62.
Tom Brady didn’t “fall into” Licht’s lap. He built a team so talented that a great player like Tom would come, despite our stigma and lack of previous success.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Big Irv wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:35 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:18 pm

Licht was 39-62 before the best player of all time fell into his lap. A player who was set to sign with another team before they inexplicably pulled out. And was left with two total offers. One being the Bucs.

39-62.
Tom Brady didn’t “fall into” Licht’s lap. He built a team so talented that a great player like Tom would come, despite our stigma and lack of previous success.
Brady and Gronk were set to sign with Vegas before LV pulled out. Because Gruden is a retard and pulled the plug. Gronk confirmed this. How talented was LV? LOL!!

The only remaining interested teams - IIRC - were LAC and TB.

It wasn’t a hot market.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Then Licht should get credit for being one of the few GMs to still see a chip left in Brady when no one else did. Not even John Lynch.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:18 pm Then Licht should get credit for being one of the few GMs to still see a chip left in Brady when no one else did. Not even John Lynch.
Nobody and I also saw something in Brady. Maybe we should be GMs.
GoldenBudda

Post by GoldenBudda »

Jamel Dean, Mike Edwards, Logan Ryan, Anthony Nelson, etc. to modest deals, being they're $40 mil over the cap.

DW and Winfield?

No sane person would pay big $$ for a 45.5 graded ILB with coverage and gap integrity issues and an undersized safety with concussion issues with our cap issues, right?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

IMHO the Buccaneers need to keep Winfield. He makes intelligent plays and seems to be a leader in the backfield.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'll ask you again, since you ignored the question elsewhere:

How do you define "tanking" for the purposes of this conversation?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 pm
They think it's the quickest way to build a championship team because reasons. As if the Browns, Lions, Commanders, Jets haven't been "tanking" for years. It's literally the most ridiculous thing.
I want to maximize the money in the bank (meaning: resources) for when we can spend it on something that will help us win a title (which ain't 2023.)

You saying, "But some teams do that and then they don't spend it well, so money in the bank has no value!" is not a great argument.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:38 am

Playing to not win the game
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I've had time to think it over and if Brady isn't coming back then it's just time to move on. Licht stumbled onto the winning lottery ticket and made good. But like many lottery winners, bad choices were made. But if Brady stays there's no sense in blowing up the front office right now

I don't expect him to bat .1000 at all times either but there's been a lot of misses the last 2 years and it's not helping matters either. We need to have a great draft to keep this going
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:14 am
MJW wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:38 am

Playing to not win the game
Who? The players? They should play to win the game. The coaches? They should play to win the game. Who said otherwise?
Let's roll another joint
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Every time this thread gets bumped I'm all like...
_MB_ wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:21 pmFuck no.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

These Are The Days wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 am I've had time to think it over and if Brady isn't coming back then it's just time to move on. Licht stumbled onto the winning lottery ticket and made good. But like many lottery winners, bad choices were made. But if Brady stays there's no sense in blowing up the front office right now

I don't expect him to bat .1000 at all times either but there's been a lot of misses the last 2 years and it's not helping matters either. We need to have a great draft to keep this going
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!??
Stumbled onto a winning ticket??

He has literally built the entire roster from the ground up through exceptional drafting and smart, ballsy free agent finds. From the OL to the WR to the defense and everything in between.

Like, idk who the fuck you think put all this together over the last 8 years if not Licht.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The window is over/closed/finished. It was a good two years.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:20 pm IMHO the Buccaneers need to keep Winfield. He makes intelligent plays and seems to be a leader in the backfield.
We 100% need to keep Winfield unless we have someone equally as talented lined up which I doubt we will. It's blatantly obvious when he isn't on the field, the backfield just looks lost at times without him. He can actually read plays unlike DW who just guesses a gap and hopes he's right. Who cares if he's available more often if he fucks up as often as he does.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:21 pm The window is over/closed/finished. It was a good two years.
Let's say the window has closed, fine... Where the hell is it written that you need to swap out GMs between windows?
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:13 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 am I've had time to think it over and if Brady isn't coming back then it's just time to move on. Licht stumbled onto the winning lottery ticket and made good. But like many lottery winners, bad choices were made. But if Brady stays there's no sense in blowing up the front office right now

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!??
Stumbled onto a winning ticket??

He has literally built the entire roster from the ground up through exceptional drafting and smart, ballsy free agent finds. From the OL to the WR to the defense and everything in between.

Like, idk who the fuck you think put all this together over the last 8 years if not Licht.
Tom Brady is a lottery ticket
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:31 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:21 pm The window is over/closed/finished. It was a good two years.
Let's say the window has closed, fine... Where the hell is it written that you need to swap out GMs between windows?
Absolutely nowhere.