Should Licht be fired?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should Licht be fired?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:01 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 35

King Bootz

Re: Should Licht be fired?

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:24 am How happy would people be if we go 6-11 with Trask? Still doesn't you a top 3 pick. Still doesn't tell you if he's the guy.
Judging a qb strictly on the team's W/L?
That's not judgement, that's what's called a question. Would you like a definition.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:07 am

Yep. This is a reason why I’ve never bought this narrative that we were purposely keeping him behind Gabbert on the depth chart. QBs are producing so early now a days. Tua led the league in passer rating and he and Trask were born 4 days apart. Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdy will play for a trip to the SB and Trask is older than both of them.

Fair or not, he has to basically light it up this year or we’re in the market in 2024.
In this day and age, where QBs are playing in to their late 30s, are we really bitching about Trask being 25 heading in to next season? So, we only get +/-10 years of him being the starter (if he's good) instead of an extra two years? Oh..you mean his first two years he was behind the GOAT, and literally no backup qb was going to play for this team, so we're really bitching about nothing at all?

Take a look at the MVP qbs over the last forever. Only Mahomes was 25 years old or younger, everybody else (including AROD w/ back to back MVPs in his late 30s) was older.

The QBs you mention in your post with ages, only Lamar and Burrow have shown to be really good, with Herbert being above average IMO. Kyler is not good (so far) Mac Jones is the ultimate game manager (so far), and, IMO, Fields has been horrible (so far).

I just don't get why a QBs age matters whatsoever.
Agreed.

The only four positions in pro football where a dropoff with age is not a large concern are long snapper, punter, kicker, and quarterback. Wringing of hands over a quarterback reaching 30 is a nothingburger for me. They tend to improve with age if they have any skill as a passer.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think the primary argument is one of aptitude.

QBs are playing forever: noted and correct. The game is protecting QBs, they are taking care of their bodies, most aren’t boozing and smoking constantly, they make the hoes get STD tests beforehand, etc.

QBs are also proving they can succeed very quickly now. They don’t really “need” marinating anymore. Even guys who come out young.

Trask is an interesting case because he was a redshirt senior with experience against the highest level of competition. He was drafted behind the GOAT, and had to sit and wait his turn. That’s fine. Like Aaron Rodgers did. The issue is, he lacked Rodgers’s talent. Rodgers was a rumored #1 overall pick. Rodgers was making rumblings as he rode the bench in GB. The team knew he was super talented but…FAVRE. The parallels don’t stop there. Rodgers made some mechanical changes, like Trask.

Difference:

True Junior Rodgers was 21y 4m old on draft day. RS Senior Trask was 23y 2m old on draft day. Rodgers was more moldable. And infinitely more athletic. This is important, because Rodgers spent 2006-2007 in McCarthy’s QB camp where he fixed his mechanics 6+ hours a day. Rings a bell right? Trask did that too.

Rodgers played at junior college for a year before transferring to Cal for 2 seasons. Trask had five seasons at an SEC program for development.

I just think The Plan with Rodgers had a much higher chance of succeeding because he is way more talented and athletic.

If I’m going to invest in a developmental quarterback, I’m going to shoot for one who is younger and more talented. Not older, stiff, and more cemented in their player profile.
Last edited by Snake on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:57 am

Lamar - 26
Burrow - 26
Kyler - 25
Herbert - 24
Fields - 23
M. Jones - 24

And most of these guys have been producing for years now.
Yep. This is a reason why I’ve never bought this narrative that we were purposely keeping him behind Gabbert on the depth chart. QBs are producing so early now a days. Tua led the league in passer rating and he and Trask were born 4 days apart. Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdy will play for a trip to the SB and Trask is older than both of them.

Fair or not, he has to basically light it up this year or we’re in the market in 2024.
Wait what? That's such a silly argument.

Okay, sure, let's say the average time of development for a QB is going down and it's more QB developing faster, fine. So what? Who gives a shit.

Do you think anyone cares that it took Rodgers 4 years or Brees? At the end of the day, if you get a FRANCHISE freaking QB and get out of QB-hell, I honestly don't give a shit if they are a late bloomer or took longer to develop. Franchise QBs are so hard to find, I'm not going to be even pickier that I want a probowler at 23 requirements too. That's nonsense.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:34 pm

Wait what? That's such a silly argument.

Okay, sure, let's say the average time of development for a QB is going down and it's more QB developing faster, fine. So what? Who gives a shit.

Do you think anyone cares that it took Rodgers 4 years or Brees? At the end of the day, if you get a FRANCHISE freaking QB and get out of QB-hell, I honestly don't give a shit if they are a late bloomer or took longer to develop. Franchise QBs are so hard to find, I'm not going to be even pickier that I want a probowler at 23 requirements too. That's nonsense.
@Snake explained what we were discussing it to a T. The age us arbitrary and far from the point. I'll chalk it up to #BootzHate that you and @Cheb are putting so much emphasis on what I said without actually looking at the bigger picture.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:24 pm I think the primary argument is one of aptitude.

QBs are playing forever: noted and correct. The game is protecting QBs, they are taking care of their bodies, most aren’t boozing and smoking constantly, they make the hoes get STD tests beforehand, etc.

QBs are also proving they can succeed very quickly now. They don’t really “need” marinating anymore. Even guys who come out young.

Trask is an interesting case because he was a redshirt senior with experience against the highest level of competition. He was drafted behind the GOAT, and had to sit and wait his turn. That’s fine. Like Aaron Rodgers did. The issue is, he lacked Rodgers’s talent. Rodgers was a rumored #1 overall pick. Rodgers was making rumblings as he road the bench in GB. The team knew he was super talented but…FAVRE. The parallels don’t stop there. Rodgers made some mechanical changes, like Trask.

Difference:

True Junior Rodgers was 21y 4m old on draft day. RS Senior Trask was 23y 2m old on draft day. Rodgers was more moldable. And infinitely more athletic. This is important, because Rodgers spent 2006-2007 in McCarthy’s QB camp where he fixed his mechanics 6+ hours a day. Rings a bell right? Trask did that too.

Rodgers played at junior college for a year before transferring to Cal for 2 seasons. Trask had five seasons at an SEC program for development.

I just think The Plan with Rodgers had a much higher chance of succeeding because he is way more talented and athletic.

If I’m going to invest in a developmental quarterback, I’m going to shoot for one who is younger and more talented. Not older, stiff, and more cemented in their player profile.
Great post. Don't think anyone is going to argue Rodgers wasn't more talented. However if we also accept that you have great QBs in other rounds, we know it's not an exact science where these GMs rate these guys. And it's not like Trask was a 5th rounder, or Mr Irrelevant here (another example). And BA spoke of how he was heavily considered at pick 32 as well.

Either way, they are each their own players. Their careers will be different. Maybe Trask was more of a Rivers. Or he's a Locker or Clausen.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:34 am
nybf wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 am

Judging a qb strictly on the team's W/L?
That's not judgement, that's what's called a question. Would you like a definition.
Your question is asking people to judge a player strictly based on the team's W L record.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:42 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:34 am

Your question is asking people to judge a player strictly based on the team's W L record.
Is it?
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:39 pm I'll chalk it up to #BootzHate that you and @Cheb are putting so much emphasis on what I said
LMFAO

"You guys hate me so you listen to what I say" sure is a galaxy brain level take.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:44 pm
nybf wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:42 pm

Is it?
All you gave was the record so yes.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:44 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:39 pm I'll chalk it up to #BootzHate that you and @Cheb are putting so much emphasis on what I said
LMFAO

"You guys hate me so you listen to what I say" sure is a galaxy brain level take.
Critical thinking doesn't come naturally to you, huh?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing as you think all players born in the 90s are in their 20s.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:45 pm

LMFAO

I guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing as you think all players born in the 90s are in their 20s.
I never said this.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:44 pm

Is it?
All you gave was the record so yes.
Hefty oversimplification. But by all means, tell me more.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:46 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:45 pm

I never said this.
That's right. All you said was it's weird how math works...In a situation where the math wasn't weird at all.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

@nybf Awww you having a temper tantrum kiddo?
nybf

Post by nybf »

Is that what it was called when you were still allowed to down vote? Surely not, that was certainly different.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

:D :D :D Yea, you big mad @nybf