Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:48 pm

Yes - both
76%
Yes - only Bowles
No votes
Yes - only Leftwich
13%
No
11%

Total votes: 45

BucsNBills

Re: Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:11 am Honestly this tells me we don't plan to bring Brady back. Leftwich was basically running Arians archaic system that catered to statue QBs.
Which is probably a good thing. I felt the Bucs were Brady's last choice this year, and quite frankly I don't want to hitch our wagon to a 46 year old QB that may or may not be headed towards a steep decline and with questionable motivations.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:55 am
You'd be okay with one of those mobile QBs who are ruining the game?
Ruining the game? We NEEDED a mobile QB, what with our shitty Offensive Line. Hell, Russell Wilson might have done really well here.

But we had Brady... Brain like Peyton Manning, feet like Philip Rivers.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Leftwich is a huge part of the problem. You don’t have a stat like this because of injuries and personnel decisions, this is scheme and coaching:

Goes for Bowles as well, just way too many communication issues on offense/defense this season. Players do bear some responsibility for those, but when the coach says some of the issues are puzzling because they are day one installs, that’s on the coach for not fixing it before the final game of the season (or apparently thinking it might be an issue before that).
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Moozician wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:55 am
You'd be okay with one of those mobile QBs who are ruining the game?
Ruining the game? We NEEDED a mobile QB, what with our shitty Offensive Line. Hell, Russell Wilson might have done really well here.

But we had Brady... Brain like Peyton Manning, feet like Philip Rivers.
Just a bit of a tongue in cheek gesture towards @BucsNBills. He use to believe mobile QBs weren't good for the NFL. But he's come around now.

You have to have a mobile QB to succeed now. You simply have to. Every QB left in the playoffs can and does make plays with their legs. The "least" mobile QB left now is either Dak Prescott or Brock Purdy and both are pretty mobile.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

I’d say Burrow is the least mobile one left. Slowest at least.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Since it was mentioned that Bowles is also letting go of multiple defensive coaches, any chance he brings in an outside Dcoord and let's them handle the defense?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:41 am Since it was mentioned that Bowles is also letting go of multiple defensive coaches, any chance he brings in an outside Dcoord and let's them handle the defense?
I think he's getting from under Arians thumb. Every coach here was brought in by Arians. Bowles had no say in this staff. This gives him a true opportunity to create his own staff and develop his own philosophy as a HC.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:44 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:41 am Since it was mentioned that Bowles is also letting go of multiple defensive coaches, any chance he brings in an outside Dcoord and let's them handle the defense?
I think he's getting from under Arians thumb. Every coach here was brought in by Arians. Bowles had no say in this staff. This gives him a true opportunity to create his own staff and develop his own philosophy as a HC.
That's a good thing honestly. Regardless of one's feelings over Bowles as the HC, the fact that previous HC is still in the building, going to meetings, attending practices, and generally looming over the program is quite weird and a disservice to Bowles.

Speaking of Arians, I hope he is relieved of his duties so that Bowles can truly be The Man at OBP without an old man in a golf cart overstaying his welcome in the background...
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Any college football fans here have an insight on what kind of offense Todd Monken runs? He used to coordinate for the Bucs, right? Honestly I can't remember anything about him. Must've blocked that era of Bucs football out of my memory.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Moozician wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:07 am
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:49 am Always feel for the guys on some level. It’s humiliating.

But, he wasn’t putting the team in the best situation to succeed.
There are already a couple of teams that want Leftnut. He DID help win a Super Bowl, and that will always be on his resume. Embarrassing? Maybe. But not for long.
Yeah, he helped as much as dilfer helped Baltimore.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Monken was basically OC in name here under Koetter. Dirk ran his usual 4 verts his entire tenure as OC/HC. I have no clue what type of system he runs or his philosophy.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Monken was the Fitzmagic to Djax awesomeness that lasted 2 games back in 2018.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Harold Goodwin, Joe Gilbert, Clyde Christensen, Todd McNair
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:57 am Harold Goodwin, Joe Gilbert, Clyde Christensen, Todd McNair
Fired?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:58 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:57 am Harold Goodwin, Joe Gilbert, Clyde Christensen, Todd McNair
Fired?
No, Sorry. Those are the guys on offense who came from the Arians tree.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:59 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:58 am

Fired?
No, Sorry. Those are the guys on offense who came from the Arians tree.
Oh, well no offense to those guys, I hope they're gone as well. Just get rid of any trace of Arians and let the new OC have control of his staff. I don't like lingerers from previous regimes.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Christensen retired apparently. WR coach let go.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:04 pm Christensen retired apparently. WR coach let go.
WR coach came from Arizona as well. Christensen was probably told he'd be let go.

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I hope we give Brian Johnson an interview. Unless we're just going to say Hurts actually hasn't made that many strides as a passer and it's all about adding AJB, which I don't believe BTW, then Johnson clearly had a positive effect on a once struggling passer

He also has a good history as an OC at the college level so it won't be a brand new position for him.

And I'm not just if the Rooney rules applies to coordinators, but if it does, it's a way to get one of the candidates out of the way without it being a sham interview like they often are.

I love the Eagles offense and if Johnson can bring that to Tampa while also giving us a guy that can clearly help "project" QBs, then maybe we can take a gamble on one in the draft...
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I guess everyone starts somewhere though. But he would not be coming here to coach QBs, he'd be here to coordinate an offense. If we think he can do that, sure
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:54 am
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:49 am Always feel for the guys on some level. It’s humiliating.

But, he wasn’t putting the team in the best situation to succeed.
Everyone here by now knows I want Bowles fired, but he deserves credit for making this move. Couldn't have been easy for him since they go way back, and I imagine this probably drew the ire of Arians as well who is another long time friend. But it had to happen as Leftwhich demonstrated he was unable to adapt the offense and his play calling has been picked apart for it's inefficiency.

I just hope a thorough OC search is conducted and we hopefully bring in some fresh and modern concepts to the offense.
Why do you think this was Bowles's move and not Licht's and/or others in management?
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:22 pm

Everyone here by now knows I want Bowles fired, but he deserves credit for making this move. Couldn't have been easy for him since they go way back, and I imagine this probably drew the ire of Arians as well who is another long time friend. But it had to happen as Leftwhich demonstrated he was unable to adapt the offense and his play calling has been picked apart for it's inefficiency.

I just hope a thorough OC search is conducted and we hopefully bring in some fresh and modern concepts to the offense.
Why do you think this was Bowles's move and not Licht's and/or others in management?
Usually coaching staff decisions are made by the HC.
nybf

Post by nybf »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:51 am He used to coordinate for the Bucs, right?
Yes, that's what he meant by "The former #Bucs OC"
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hard to know. he’s been pissed about the offense for most of the season. He’s been professional about it.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:24 pm

Usually coaching staff decisions are made by the HC.
Yes. I understand that. But the situation in Tampa, starting last offseason, wasn't handled in any traditional sense that we're used to seeing. So I wouldn't be so quick to say it was his choice. At least not totally his choice. We'll never know, but that's my thoughts on the subject.
Don't tread on me
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:07 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:04 pm Christensen retired apparently. WR coach let go.
WR coach came from Arizona as well. Christensen was probably told he'd be let go.

That is pretty damning for Trask who has been getting personally coached by Christensen.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'm thinking the surprise should be who Todd gets to come on board.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

All of these have been officially announced by the team website.

Snake

Post by Snake »

Armstrong (ST) survived
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I wonder if this will reach up into scouting?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:27 pm All of these have been officially announced by the team website.

Damn, that's actually more that I was anticipating. Nearly a clean sweep.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:27 pm Armstrong (ST) survived
Worst retention of a coach for sure.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:27 pm All of these have been officially announced by the team website.

I'm surprised Harold Goodwin and Joe Gilbert survived. Goodwin is the "run game coordinator" and coordinated the worst run game in the NFL. And Gilbert's Oline was pure shit.

But 9 coaches is a lot. Bowles will get to have the chance to build his own staff now.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Pretty sure Lori Locust was the one @Deja Entendu said was embarrassing herself pre-game against the Rams.

Good riddance.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:47 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 pm

I'm surprised Harold Goodwin and Joe Gilbert survived. Goodwin is the "run game coordinator" and coordinated the worst run game in the NFL. And Gilbert's Oline was pure shit.

But 9 coaches is a lot. Bowles will get to have the chance to build his own staff now.
Oh yikes, yeah, not sure why either was retained. Maybe more firings will come later today or tomorrow. Or they'll be moved to other assistant positions.

edit: With the news that Greg Roman got fired, I'd love to have him here as the new run game coordinator. It's his expertise.