Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:48 pm

Yes - both
76%
Yes - only Bowles
No votes
Yes - only Leftwich
13%
No
11%

Total votes: 45

Heisenberg

Re: Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

Post by Heisenberg »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:40 am This will all come down to Brady. Give Brady what he wants has been our modus operandi since we won the Super Bowl. If he returns, I don't see that changing. So it comes down to... does Brady want to keep Lefty? Given that the juicy rumor last year was that Brady pushed out the best offensive mind he's ever played under in an apparent "thanks but I got it from here" maneuver, I'm not entirely sure who he would have us bring over.

And make no mistake, if Brady decides to return and NOT keep Lefty he will 100% be given final approval on the next OC.
I still don't buy that rumor. Why would he push out Arians a proven winner, who he won a ring with, for a proven loser? The only way it makes any sense if it was 100% ego and zero thinking on bradys part, and I don't see Brady acting like that, he's smarter than that.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Heisenberg wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:53 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:40 am This will all come down to Brady. Give Brady what he wants has been our modus operandi since we won the Super Bowl. If he returns, I don't see that changing. So it comes down to... does Brady want to keep Lefty? Given that the juicy rumor last year was that Brady pushed out the best offensive mind he's ever played under in an apparent "thanks but I got it from here" maneuver, I'm not entirely sure who he would have us bring over.

And make no mistake, if Brady decides to return and NOT keep Lefty he will 100% be given final approval on the next OC.
I still don't buy that rumor. Why would he push out Arians a proven winner, who he won a ring with, for a proven loser? The only way it makes any sense if it was 100% ego and zero thinking on bradys part, and I don't see Brady acting like that, he's smarter than that.
Brady seemed very happy here when Arians was coach. No idea why this rumor is so prevalent.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:02 pm
Navybuc wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:00 pm Who is the moron that voted no?
Do you know what they call the guy who finishes last in his medical school class?
A didn't-get-a-residency-and-200K-in-debt ex-student.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:04 am
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:02 pm

Do you know what they call the guy who finishes last in his medical school class?
A didn't-get-a-residency-and-200K-in-debt ex-student.
A person who needs to be an RN like right now.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

These are the type of decisions that should get Bowles fired. He chose to play SMB over the better DB in Dean.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:07 am These are the type of decisions that should get Bowles fired. He chose to play SMB over the better DB in Dean.

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Apparently pewterreport.com says we are going to fire Leftwich. The real nugget was buried halfway through the article though:

"The Bucs okayed a plan to fire Leftwich at midseason – either after the Ravens game on Thursday Night Football or after the bye week."

Bruh.

Full read here: https://www.pewterreport.com/leftwich-e ... d-by-bucs/
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Nano wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:40 pm PewterReport is reporting that the team is expected to fire OC Byron Leftwich soon

https://www.pewterreport.com/leftwich-e ... d-by-bucs/
We really need to hope Brady comes back. Otherwise we wasted his last year here to keep this asshole around and waste our offense on creativity on par with throwing a fastball on every pitch hoping you'd fool someone
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not surprising. Lefty isn't elevating anything. He's playing sous chef to Brady.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 am Apparently pewterreport.com says we are going to fire Leftwich. The real nugget was buried halfway through the article though:

"The Bucs okayed a plan to fire Leftwich at midseason – either after the Ravens game on Thursday Night Football or after the bye week."

Bruh.

*Slow Clap*

It's a Bucs Life

Time to pray Brady doesn't leave. Jags fans must be saying "Thank God we didn't hire him"
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 am Apparently pewterreport.com says we are going to fire Leftwich. The real nugget was buried halfway through the article though:

Bruh.

I wish like hell that Arians never stepped down because this team could have made a run with an Arians led offense. This article explains why PR has been adamant for weeks that Leftwich’s firing was virtually guaranteed. I’m at least glad to see Lefty leaving and hope that we bring in a top offensive mind.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think if we're cutting Lefty it's because we're pretty sure Brady isn't returning.

Though I suppose he could find SF doesn't want him and crawl back to us, but would our new OC want him?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 am

Bruh.

I wish like hell that Arians never stepped down because this team could have made a run with an Arians led offense. This article explains why PR has been adamant for weeks that Leftwich’s firing was virtually guaranteed. I’m at least glad to see Lefty leaving and hope that we bring in a top offensive mind.
"Bowles wanted the Bucs to run the ball better and more often in 2022. Instead, Brady led the NFL in passing attempts (733) and completions (490) for a second straight season."

I mean if that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about who is calling the shots on offense I don't know what will
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 am I think if we're cutting Lefty it's because we're pretty sure Brady isn't returning.

Though I suppose he could find SF doesn't want him and crawl back to us, but would our new OC want him?
Doctor, I truly do not understand where you’re coming from. Why would the team or you want to have the combination of Brady/Lefty back? I want both gone, but at least I can see sense in Brady + new OC.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Speaking of the new OC, who would you guys want us to target? The PR articles mentioned a couple names like Todd Monken(He was the OC for us back in 2018 for the Fitzmagic year), Bill O'Brian(Boring but safe OC pick), and Frank Reich.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Nano wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:25 am Speaking of the new OC, who would you guys want us to target? The PR articles mentioned a couple names like Todd Monken(He was the OC for us back in 2018 for the Fitzmagic year), Bill O'Brian(Boring but safe OC pick), and Frank Reich.
I'd take Trudy Wiegel at this point.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:21 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 am I think if we're cutting Lefty it's because we're pretty sure Brady isn't returning.

Doctor, I truly do not understand where you’re coming from. Why would the team or you want to have the combination of Brady/Lefty back? I want both gone, but at least I can see sense in Brady + new OC.
It's not that I want Left/Brady back per say... I want Brady back. If given the choice to jump right back into the dark ages of trying to fnd that QBOTF or try yet another go with Tom, I choose the latter. The former will always be waiting for us.

Now, unlike most other posters, I don't subscribe to silly notion that Leftwich somehow leapfrogged Brady on the offensive totem pole or has any power to overrule Brady in any way. I just don't. This is 100% a Brady-controlled offense.

If we fire Lefty we would either
1) Give the position to some no name in title only while Brady continues to run things, effectively no change
2) Bring in strong OC who would want his hands on the wheel

I'm down for #2, I just can't think of anyone who Brady would listen to. He literally trumps most coaches in accolades and experience. Bill O'Brien maybe?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:35 am
Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:21 am

It's not that I want Left/Brady back per say... I want Brady back. If given the choice to jump right back into the dark ages of trying to fnd that QBOTF or try yet another go with Tom, I choose the latter. The former will always be waiting for us.

Now, unlike most other posters, I don't subscribe to silly notion that Leftwich somehow leapfrogged Brady on the offensive totem pole or has any power to overrule Brady in any way. I just don't. This is 100% a Brady-controlled offense.

1) Give the position to some no name in title only while Brady continues to run things, effectively no change

I'm down for #2, I just can't think of anyone who Brady would listen to. He literally trumps most coaches in accolades and experience. Bill O'Brien maybe?
Okay this is what I’m getting at. You believe that Brady overruled Lefty this season, saw the putrid outcome and you’re willing to sign up for that again?
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Knowing Bowles I'm betting Brian Schottenheimer
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:43 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:35 am

Okay this is what I’m getting at. You believe that Brady overruled Lefty this season, saw the putrid outcome and you’re willing to sign up for that again?
I don't want to say "Brady overruled Lefty". I think it's a pretty open co-op at OBP, but the idea that anyone- let alone Lefty- is bossing Brady around is hilarious. You can read into my deep dive into it here: viewtopic.php?p=107119#p107119

TLDR: I don't think the offense we've had the past three years has just magically vanished. The scheme doesn't work without a strong OL and rhythm. So the question is simply, is it possible we can strengthen our OL and find our rhythm? Neither seems impossible.
MJW

Post by MJW »

It sort of really pisses me off that Bowles is going to skate because Leftwich is going to take the fall. What the fuck has Bowles done as head coach of this team to indicate he should get to keep doing it?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bowles has no track record of being a good head coach to have gotten the job to begin with. And he got the job and massively underachieved with the GOAT as his QB, majorly threatening any interest on Brady's part to come play for the Bucs. I think the Glazers are intelligent enough to not waste another year with this group with an even more underwhelming roster. The writing is on the wall and Todd Bowles ain't turning this around as a head coach. Lions OC would be a great candidate to interview in my opinion.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Big Irv wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 pm I’m the fool who voted “Yes, only Leftwich”.

I could stand another year of Bowles. Defense played well enough. Not a good habit to fire coaches after 1 year. Only argument I could see was if a Sean Payton type coach actually wanted to come here. In that case, fire Bowles too.

Can’t imagine another year of Sandwich. Mediocre QB and a worse coach.
I could at least tolerate this scenario. Keeping both? No f'ing way!
Don't tread on me
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Conspiracy theory time:

The Glazers, I truly can't believe I am typing this, wanted to show the world what croni-ism looks like and moved BA out of the way to prove it. Now, the real reason they kept him on staff was so that, once the shit-show was completed, they will remove the problem-children, truly I am having such difficulty putting these words down, and put BA back in as HC. That way they don't have to go thru the interviewing crap again and can pick up where they left off.

As if the Glazer boys had bothered to clean the windows in their collective stomachs to see what is going on outside.
Push the damned button already!
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

"I really began thinking about my personal transition plan earlier this off-season. I wanted to ensure when I walked away that Todd Bowles would have the best opportunity to succeed. So many head coaches come into situations where they are set up for failure, and I didn't want that for Todd." ~ Bruce Arians, March 30, 2022
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

These Are The Days wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:13 am
Nano wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:40 pm PewterReport is reporting that the team is expected to fire OC Byron Leftwich soon

https://www.pewterreport.com/leftwich-e ... d-by-bucs/
We really need to hope Brady comes back. Otherwise we wasted his last year here to keep this asshole around and waste our offense on creativity on par with throwing a fastball on every pitch hoping you'd fool someone
You need to face your demons, brah. He ain't coming back here. Not as a Buc, anyway.
Don't tread on me
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Oh, and there are several in this thread claiming that Lefty was a sock puppet and the Brady was running the offense. If that is true, then Brady should be the one held accountable for this season. I still don't want Lefty back, but, if you wish to affirm that he wasn't really calling the shots, then this incompetent display of craftiness should be handed to the real culprit. You can't have it both ways.
Push the damned button already!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

IronDog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:28 am Oh, and there are several in this thread claiming that Lefty was a sock puppet and the Brady was running the offense. If that is true, then Brady should be the one held accountable for this season. I still don't want Lefty back, but, if you wish to affirm that he wasn't really calling the shots, then this incompetent display of craftiness should be handed to the real culprit. You can't have it both ways.
That was only depending on the result of the play. If it was a positive play, then Brady called it. If it was a negative play, then Leftwich called it.

If you listed to the masses here for the 1st time in his career, maybe since his rookie year, Tom Brady had no control over the plays this offense was running. It was all Leftwich.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

IronDog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:28 am Oh, and there are several in this thread claiming that Lefty was a sock puppet and the Brady was running the offense. If that is true, then Brady should be the one held accountable for this season. I still don't want Lefty back, but, if you wish to affirm that he wasn't really calling the shots, then this incompetent display of craftiness should be handed to the real culprit. You can't have it both ways.
Only one, not several, is claiming this.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:31 am
That was only depending on the result of the play. If it was a positive play, then Brady called it. If it was a negative play, then Leftwich called it.

If you listed to the masses here for the 1st time in his career, maybe since his rookie year, Tom Brady had no control over the plays this offense was running. It was all Leftwich.
He is (was) the purported leader of the offense and he failed. Miserably, I should add. Good luck with your next job, Byron.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:33 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:31 am

He is (was) the purported leader of the offense and he failed. Miserably, I should add. Good luck with your next job, Byron.
They both can be on their merry way
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:35 am
Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:33 am

They both can be on their merry way
I'm thinking they both are.
Don't tread on me
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I honestly hope they’re axed today
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

This is nearing the point of the Anybody but Winston days...Anybody but Leftwich...and I don't really have a problem with that.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Let's ask the question in a different way: Why should Bowles and Leftwich be retained?