Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:48 pm

Yes - both
76%
Yes - only Bowles
No votes
Yes - only Leftwich
13%
No
11%

Total votes: 45

reagan SMASH

Re: Should Bowles and Leftwich be fired?

Post by reagan SMASH »

Do they deserve to be fired? Absolutely. Should they both be, this year? I don't know. We're in cap hell and Brady is almost certainly leaving (and didn't look great anyway). I think the smartest play may be to embrace the rebuild next year. This would set ourselves up for a new coaching staff and high draft pick to pick our QBOTF in 2024 and would increase the chances of hopefully more sustained success a few years down the road. I have no interest in the team getting 6-8 meaningless wins for years crap.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 am Apparently pewterreport.com says we are going to fire Leftwich. The real nugget was buried halfway through the article though:

"The Bucs okayed a plan to fire Leftwich at midseason – either after the Ravens game on Thursday Night Football or after the bye week."

Bruh.

Full read here: https://www.pewterreport.com/leftwich-e ... d-by-bucs/
"Instead, Bowles decided to trust his defense and Brady’s heroics and hoped that Leftwich and the offensive staff could make some improvements along the way, which didn’t happen."

Bowles should be fired just for this.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:00 am Bowles should be fired just for this.
Being honest, Bowles should not have been insta-hired. The Buccaneers should have had to interview at least a few other candidates. Everything about last years off-season was bad. Brady retiring... then coming back... the coaching staff change... all produced this. However, I watched some guy take over as the coach of the Panthers and did a great job. That dude was even more handicapped by the situation than Bowles and did a MUCH better job IMHO.
MRM

Post by MRM »

The thing that gets me about Bowles is he's like Lovie Smith in that there seems to be no emotion on the sideline. Even last night, when they cut to him all he was doing was standing their chewing on his gum. Bowles is a good DC, he's not a good head coach.

As for Leftwich, it's obvious most of the game planning in previous seasons was by Arians. I'd be curious to know how many times Arians changed some of the calls Leftwich made the last 2 seasons. There's no way Arians would have allowed some of the plays to go through like Leftwich got away with this year.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The “Bowles is continuity and Arians’s bro!” was an awful decision from Licht and ownership.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:45 am The “Bowles is continuity and Arians’s bro!” was an awful decision from Licht and ownership.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

We needed Arians to come in with his red pen and markup the gameplan last night. Our O-Line struggles combined with offensive gameplan ineptitude was a perfect storm of stupidity.

It seems to me that Brady pushed Arians out last year in large part because he wanted more control of the offense. He and Brady were so different. Arians is very bombastic in a way that Brady isn’t and I think they made it work as long as they could. Brady also wanted more control over the weapons on offense and he couldn’t get that with Arians.

Leftwich and Brady work closely together on game plans. Brady is a great QB, not a great a great offensive coordinator and a terrible GM. Lefty doesn’t have the proven track record of Brady as a QB or a coordinator. At the end of the day, Leftwich submits to Brady.

That’s why this year didn’t work. That’s why we constantly underperformed.

Brady needs someone he trusts and respects enough to submit to. Someone like Sean Payton who has an impressive track record of his own.
Last edited by Big Irv on Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I would not be sad if Brady did not want to come back to play for Bucs and finds another team. With Bowles as HC, it will be a repeat of what happened this season. I refuse to believe that the problem was only Leftwich. Brady had a lot of say on the offense as well. What we need as a franchise is a complete directional change. We saw in this very playoffs how some head coaches like Mike McDaniels, Harbaugh, Daboll and Pederson got so much out of their teams and even their backup QBs. Meanwhile Bowles...
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

How about just replacing Bowles with Brian Johnson, Eagles QB coach? We don't have to deal with any bad optics(as manufactured as they may be), and we can get this clean slate underway earlier rather than later. We'll have a guy that has a good track record with offensive production and has no doubt had a big impact on Jalen Hurts meteoric rise. He brings the Eagles offensive scheme, which I quite frankly love, and we don't have to worry about losing him to a promotion like we would if we just hired him as an OC.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think he should lead the list for OC. Having him replace Bowles is too much.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Gonna assume the major reason people are mentioning Johnson as a potential replacement is his prior history with Trask at Florida. No thanks.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:53 am I think he should lead the list for OC. Having him replace Bowles is too much.
Why? What is the upside of keeping Bowles? He's a proven loser as a HC and he's not even able to maintain a good defense.

And why would Johnson choose to be our OC when he's no doubt going to be given an interview with the Chargers? It's not even a choice if it's us vs the Chargers.

The only way we can outbid the Chargers is by hiring him as a HC. If clowns like Joe Judge, who was a special teams coach, and Jeff Saturday who was a fucking talking head, can all get jobs, then there's no reason why someone like Johnson can't.

We're going nowhere with Bowles.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think it's a neat bonus sure, but BJ has earned being mentioned on his own right based on Hurts and the Eagles this year.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Potentially hiring Brian Johnson has absolutely nothing to do with his previous success with Kyle Trash.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:02 am Potentially hiring Brian Johnson has absolutely nothing to do with his previous success with Kyle Trash.
Oh so it's just a coincidence that multiple people want to hire our #3 QBs former college QB coach & OC. Got it....
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:02 am Potentially hiring Brian Johnson has absolutely nothing to do with his previous success with Kyle Trash.
Oh so it's just a coincidence that multiple people want to hire our #3 QBs former college QB coach & OC. Got it....
I have no clue what others motivations are. But for myself, Kyle Trash isn't even part of the equation with the Bucs. He may as well not exist. His only purpose, if any, is to demonstrate how fucking terrible he is and by doing so will "earn" us the #1 pick.

Johnson's prior relationship with Trash is irrelevant to me. I don't know or care if his prior experience matters to others.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:06 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am

I have no clue what others motivations are. But for myself, Kyle Trash isn't even part of the equation with the Bucs. He may as well not exist. His only purpose, if any, is to demonstrate how fucking terrible he is and by doing so will "earn" us the #1 pick.

Johnson's prior relationship with Trash is irrelevant to me. I don't know or care if his prior experience matters to others.
Like I said, just a coincidence.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yes. It is. Its a small football world.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s just impossible to know most important things from the seat of a fan.

Johnson was the QB coach when Hurts took a step forward. Correlation or causation?

Johnson was the OC when Florida had a really strong offense. What does that actually mean? It might mean a lot, or a little. There were seven better offenses that year. Are those seven OCs from those colleges now NFL OCs? I doubt it.

He could be the next Bill Walsh. Or he’s just a guy.

Sadly, I’d settle for just a guy at this point.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Some Twitter sources are already saying that Leftwich is fired, but the big names haven't confirmed it yet.

Edit: wrote Bowles, when the rumors were about Leftwich. Sorry.
Last edited by Cheb on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Good.

This team had an utter lack of fire. You can call A protracted Super Bowl hangover. I don’t agree.

In my opinion, teams take on the personality of their head coach. He is a dud.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If the rumors are true about Bowles getting fired. I’ll celebrate HARD
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Meant to write Leftwich, sorry. Edited the prior post.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:39 am Meant to write Leftwich, sorry. Edited the prior post.
Damn tease!
Push the damned button already!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb dangled that red meat out there knowing the hyenas would bite.

So far all I see are Twitter "analysts", if you can call them that, reporting Leftwich has been fired with no sources, confirmation or anything. They are just putting it out there in case it happens so they'll appear credible. Like this guy

Saying he was fired today.

Let's see if their guess is right.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

If they fire Leftwich they should fire Bowles. What decent OC will want to come and be a one-year OC for a lame-duck coach?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

"Never rebuild. You always reload," he said following the loss, via the official transcript. "You feel like you have a chance to win every year. You've just got to tweak some things from a schematic standpoint all the way around -- offense, defense and special teams. Obviously, no one ever comes back with every player on the team, so we'll have some new faces in here. That's just part of the game."
link

If that is really what Bowles believes, he needs to go. Period. Bowles had ALL SEASON to make adjustments and failed.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:26 pm
Shhhh!! Too much reality for this board. Can't handle the truth.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:26 pm
People still torture themselves listening to those 2 clowns yell? Listened for 2 seconds and had to stop.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Shannon isn't wrong. Unless you are one of those weirdos that believe Arians secretly did everything and repeatedly lied to us for years, the truth is that Lefty has coached and called a fantastic 30 ppg offense for three years. While he knows that offense fine and well, and YES, I think that offense can still be massively successful when the pieces are actually working... he showed no ability to adjust away from it when we lost key pieces. I maintain if Ali doesn't retire this is a very different season on offense.

Literally, all we did was more screen passes. To be really fair, I don't think there was much else we could do, it's not like we're doing bootlegs with Brady out there, but it was still disappointing.

While loyalty is big at OBP, so is respect. Got to respect Bowles enough to let him call his own shots on OC. And while I would be all for Lefty if play calling for a stacked and well oiled machine, not sure if I'd want to pin my HC career to him when needing to reshape an offense.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Arians was 100% rewriting fatwichs game plan. Let's pretend he wasn't, Leftwichs offense dropping down almost 2tds pg is still horrible. Losing Ali didn't make us drop to 18ppg. He has zero clue on personnel, scheming etc. He's just calling plays from a book.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why would he hire/keep Lefty if that's what he had to do? Why would he, Winston and Brady lie for years?
What about Arians possibly strikes you as someone who wants to do more work and not delegate to the max?

A mix of horrible OL play and shit chemistry is what caused us to drop to 18 ppg. Our interior line, Ali and Jensen, were our lynchpins. They were pulled.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Yep everyone suddenly forgetting how to play football together is certainly more plausible than fatwich failing. Had a 45 year old pass 66 times yesterday and people still sucking dude off lmaoo
Snake

Post by Snake »

Leftwich is bad at his job. End of story. Uncreative, unimaginative, predictable, arrogant.

He gone.