The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Navybuc

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by Navybuc »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:19 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:15 pm

Maybe. Who knows. They may want to make other moves with those picks while they can. I don’t know what’s on their minds.
If so… again, what was the hurry? They would have had teams beating their door down in another couple weeks. Anything they can get from this trade they could have gotten by waiting and then some.
A #1 next year too. Two #2s. A starting WR. Maybe they thought that was as good as they were gonna get. Anyone from top 5 prolly wouldn’t give up so much to move to #1 and not sure anyone outside of top 5 is really all that interested in moving up to that top pick. .
Last edited by Navybuc on Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think maybe Panthers went out on Lamar because they had this lined up. If the Bears made them wait the Panthers could've gone back to Lamar and kept DJ.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:21 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:19 pm
If so… again, what was the hurry? They would have had teams beating their door down in another couple weeks. Anything they can get from this trade they could have gotten by waiting and then some.
A #1 next year too. Two #2s. A starting WR. Maybe they thought that was as good as they were gonna get. Anyone from top 5 prolly wouldn’t give up so much to move to #1 and not sure anyone outside of top 5 is really all that interested in moving up to that top pick. .
Maybe? Sure. I think otherwise. Obviously, we’ll never know. I’m convinced the Bears jumped the gun.
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:24 pm

Maybe? Sure. I think otherwise. Obviously, we’ll never know. I’m convinced the Bears jumped the gun.
Anyone who moves within top 5 prolly offers up a #1 next year and #2. So basically Chicago got an extra #2 and a starting WR by going back a few more spots. I don’t know for sure, but I would assume they inquired from other teams outside top 5 their interest.

But you’re right…they may have jumped the gun. We’ll never know.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

They absolutely jumped the gun. Like you said, it's March 10th. A full month and a half away from the draft.

Smart GM stirs the pot. Make people think it's possible that you don't believe in Fields and could take a QB. Make this move AFTER FA has began and teams start missing out on QBs because they are waiting on the Bears. They'll get desperate and start offering more compensation because they NEED that pick.

Chicago essentially bid with themselves here way too early.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:28 pm
Anyone who moves within top 5 prolly offers up a #1 next year and #2. So basically Chicago got an extra #2 and a starting WR by going back a few more spots. I don’t know for sure, but I would assume they inquired from other teams outside top 5 their interest.

That's would make this a bad trade. They shouldn't be inquiring about anything at all. Sit back and let teams call you. 1st time you dial a number you're already lowering the value of the pick.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:29 pm
They absolutely jumped the gun. Like you said, it's March 10th. A full month and a half away from the draft.

Smart GM stirs the pot. Make people think it's possible that you don't believe in Fields and could take a QB. Make this move AFTER FA has began and teams start missing out on QBs because they are waiting on the Bears. They'll get desperate and start offering more compensation because they NEED that pick.

Chicago essentially bid with themselves here way too early.
That’s what I’m saying! Why do this now? At least wait til after the 15th and see what shakes.
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:30 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:28 pm

That's would make this a bad trade. They shouldn't be inquiring about anything at all. Sit back and let teams call you. 1st time you dial a number you're already lowering the value of the pick.
Two #1s, 2 #2s AND a starting WR. I just don’t think anyone else is going to give up much more than that. That’s just my two cents. This isn’t Draft Day where a team is dumb enough to give up 3 #1s. Not only that, I don’t think a lot of teams are that impressed with this qb class. This isn’t 2021. 2024 is much better. Teams aren’t going to overpay for one of these guys.

I think Houston and Indy are the only other teams who I think would move up but they need the picks and aren’t going to give up the farm to move to #1. I think Atl wants to give Ridder a shot while keeping an eye on the Lamar situation. Jets are getting AR. Vegas wants Jimmy G. Things are falling into place…except for us.

The more I look at it, the more I think this was prolly as good as deal as Chicago would have gotten. This isn’t a great qb class where a lot of teams are going to overpay to move to 1.
Last edited by Navybuc on Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Carolina is gonna show Chicago how it's done.

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Let's try to make the deal the Panthers made more personal: Are we happy if we traded to 2 #1s 2 #2s and Mike Evans to be at 1?
Snake

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:42 pm Let's try to make the deal the Panthers made more personal: Are we happy if we traded to 2 #1s 2 #2s and Mike Evans to be at 1?
If we were utterly convinced one of these QBs was a HOF type talent. Sure.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:40 pm Carolina is gonna show Chicago how it's done.

Yep! Now the Panthers have a chance to milk that spot. If they don’t get something worth trading for, they keep the pick. Regardless, I’m sure they’ll wait past the 15th before doing anything stupid like the Bears just did.
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

A lot in the media praising the Bears. Greg Olsen said they got better end of deal. Damien Woody called it a slam dunk.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/

USA Today also giving them an A on the move.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yeah. That’s pretty much all I’m seeing.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Media is definitely gonna milk this narrative and praise the leagues 3rd largest market.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Don’t forget they’re also getting DJ Moore who is only 25 years old. He’s the equivalent to a low end #1 or high end #2. You could argue the Bears are getting 3 #1s out of this and two #2s depending on your opinion of Moore. And now Carolina has a thin WR corps all of a sudden.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

DJ Moore is an overachieving, overpaid slot receiver. Stacked up against the other WRs in football, he's probably top 25 or 30. But there's a reason people are STILL talking DeAndre Hopkins.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:47 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:42 pm Damn Carolina just gave up the farm to move to #1
As a Bucs fan, I hope this blows up in their face.

https://www.witn.com/2023/03/10/panther ... nfl-draft/
It will.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Rams is thinking about to trade Stafford?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=ncKXMA
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:39 pm The Rams is thinking about to trade Stafford?

They is
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:52 pm
Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:39 pm The Rams is thinking about to trade Stafford?

They is
That’s insane!! Baker Mayfield? Really
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Rodgers is done in GB

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:06 pm Rodgers is done in GB

Yep pretty much

He’s either going to Jets or retire.

It’s Brett Favre all over
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:43 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:40 pm Carolina is gonna show Chicago how it's done.

Yep! Now the Panthers have a chance to milk that spot. If they don’t get something worth trading for, they keep the pick. Regardless, I’m sure they’ll wait past the 15th before doing anything stupid like the Bears just did.
Houston might be worried that Indy will now offer a trade to Carolina. That could force Houston to trade their pick plus other picks to Carolina. Carolina could make another move and still get the QB they really want.
Snake

Post by Snake »

This is certainly an…interesting strategy, if true. I tend to believe they have their guy and that’s why they want to be picking #1.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:47 pm

This is certainly an…interesting strategy, if true. I tend to believe they have their guy and that’s why they want to be picking #1.
Yes, you know that. I know that. They know that. But they don't need to let the NFL world know that on March 10th. They are doing their due diligence with the pick. Build up some mystery. Maybe the Raiders or Colts or Texans give an offer that can't be refused.

You only do this if you know you got the #1 pick for a bargain. Now they can flip it and still probably get more than they gave Chicago.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

This effectively kills the pipe dream of us somehow landing Bryce Young. He’s not making it past Houston, and Carolina isn’t giving us the #1 pick.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Wow. I know there's no Trevor Lawrence level QB in this class, but to drop back that far six weeks before the draft, and to walk away with that little...this feels fairly dreadful for the Bears. Of course, all that will end up mattering is what each team does with their respective picks.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Panthers won't trade back. You do a move like this for your franchise QB, not to settle on left overs. You pick your guy.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:45 am Panthers won't trade back. You do a move like this for your franchise QB, not to settle on left overs. You pick your guy.
Agree. Especially when they frankly got a great deal in the first place. They still have #39, #93, #114, #132, and #145 this year. They also have a good deal of cap space ($23 mil as I type this) and frankly, with the exception of the skill positions, they have the strongest roster in the division.

In other words, this is not the time for them to get cute.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:22 am Wow. I know there's no Trevor Lawrence level QB in this class, but to drop back that far six weeks before the draft, and to walk away with that little...this feels fairly dreadful for the Bears. Of course, all that will end up mattering is what each team does with their respective picks.
Interesting. They got 2 firsts (and are still in the top 10), 2 seconds, and a young vet WR that would probably net at least a second if he were traded individually.

I think it’s a haul for the Bears.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

According to @JayGlazer, the Packers offered Carolina their 2023 Round 1 pick for D.J. Moore in November. Carolina declined.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

These are the QBs teams have moved up into the top-5 to acquire since 2005: Trey Lance, Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Robert Griffin III and Mark Sanchez.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:33 am
MJW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:22 am Wow. I know there's no Trevor Lawrence level QB in this class, but to drop back that far six weeks before the draft, and to walk away with that little...this feels fairly dreadful for the Bears. Of course, all that will end up mattering is what each team does with their respective picks.
Interesting. They got 2 firsts (and are still in the top 10), 2 seconds, and a young vet WR that would probably net at least a second if he were traded individually.

I think it’s a haul for the Bears.
Depends, honestly. Let me explain:

In 2012, to move up from #6 to #2 (and draft RGIII), Washington traded three first rounders and a second to the Rams. Because he was seen as a franchise quarterback type.
In 2013, to move up from #12 to #3 (and draft Dion Jordan), Miami only send the Raiders a single 2nd round pick. He wasn't even a quarterback, and frankly, he wasn't an incredible prospect. It was just a historically shit year.

Something my dad used to say - "A thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

So it depends on how one feels about this quarterback class, I guess. If you believe your personal favorite QB is a franchise guy, that pick is worth a hell of a lot. If you think nobody in this class IS that guy, it's not worth as much.

IMHO, Bryce Young is an upper-echelon QB prospect. Not Trevor Lawrence or even Joe Burrow, but a hell of a lot better than, say, Kenny Pickett last year. So for Carolina to pay relatively little to go get him, it looks bad for the Bears. To me. If someone didn't feel that way about him (or Stroud, Richardson, etc), it looks like a pretty good return.

I will say this: I feel like Moore's value is diminished a little bit because he's coming off a mediocre year, and because while his contract isn't bad (I think 3-52 remaining), it's hardly a rookie deal. I'm not as bullish on him as most people in general. I think he's a #2 in a good offense. If I had to put a draft pick grade on him, probably an early 2nd?

Also, the Bears not getting Carolina's 2nd rounder - #39 - and settling for San Fran's - #61 - feels a little insulting. So here's how I break down this trade in my own mind:

Panthers Get: Great QB prospect. Not generational, but Great.

Bears Get:
- A pick that almost certainly falls outside of the top tier of prospects in this draft
- A Second Rounder That's Almost A 3rd Rounder
- A future first rounder from a team that should be favored to win the division IMHO.
- A future-future second rounder.

Frankly, I think they jumped the gun.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Fair enough. I think I'm just seeing it more from the Bears' side. Less as "jumping the gun" and more a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Yeah, they could have waited until draft day to try to get more, but they have significant cap space for free agency and it's important to know how you want to build your team right now versus waiting until May. And there's no guarantee they get more if they wait. They've certainly talked to all of these teams already. Combine is over. Teams have a good idea who they want and what they'll give to get them. This is the best deal on the table now. How much more is someone going to give up?

The Bears have their QB and they're going to be able to add significant assets around him for this upcoming season. DJ Moore is a nice piece on a really good contract. The 9th pick. Another second. Then plenty of ammo next year as well.

The Panthers will be favored to win the division with a rookie QB? What if that move was for Richardson? Really good chance that 2023 first is also a top 10 pick.

The argument people made about the Seattle/Denver deal was that it was great for Denver because they got their QB and the picks would be late. Well, the Hawks pick 5th.