The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:17 am Detroit is why I say these mock drafters projecting a QB to be available in the teens are smoking a new brand of crack.

The Lions acquired Goff in 2021 but did not give him a raise or an extension. They know he's not the answer long term. But he's better than a lot of QBs right now. IMO there's a 95% chance they draft a QB at 6 if one of the main 4 slide.

They owe him no more guaranteed money and only take a $5mil cap hit if they release him next offseason to go along with over $26mil in savings. Best thing they are doing now is keeping quite about their intentions but I truly believe QB is the way they will go.
Yeah, a QB might not be the quickest path towards helping the roster this year. That's not the same thing as "shouldn't be in the market for a quarterback." Detroit should absolutely be in the market for a quarterback. Do it now, while he can sit behind Goff. Think a year ahead.

BTW, this situation is very similar to the Chiefs when they took Mahomes even though they were winning with Alex Smith. The big difference is the Lions are in a good position with their pick.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I think the Lions are too focused on winning this season to go QB at 6. Especially since the best will be gone by then and they will have a good selection of the other guys left.

Goff is only 28 and the case could be made he’s a top 10 QB right now. Worst case he’s top 15. They are in kind of a weird spot, but I suspect they are all in on trying to win this year. They look promising for once and Rodgers looks to be gone finally. This is a franchise that hasn’t won a division title since 1993, that is all they care about right now.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Say the Lions draft a rookie QB. Do they start the rookie, or continue with Goff? If they continue with Goff and make a playoff run, do they extend Goff or do they let him go for the new QB? It just seems like a sticky situation to get into. Goff leads them to a superbowl this season while Stroud or whoever rides the bench. What then?

If the Lions don’t think they can win with Goff, QB makes sense. But if they think they can win now with Goff I’m looking for the best D-line talent I can get.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I’m pretty sure the Lions draft Jalen Carter at #6

If they want a QB, they’ll trade up from #16 to whoever but I think they’re staying put and draft BPA CB
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:52 pm
Interesting to say the least.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:50 am Say the Lions draft a rookie QB. Do they start the rookie, or continue with Goff? If they continue with Goff and make a playoff run, do they extend Goff or do they let him go for the new QB? It just seems like a sticky situation to get into. Goff leads them to a superbowl this season while Stroud or whoever rides the bench. What then?

If the Lions don’t think they can win with Goff, QB makes sense. But if they think they can win now with Goff I’m looking for the best D-line talent I can get.
Ask the 49ers.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Breaking: Former Seattle Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner is returning to Seattle on a one-year, $7 million deal, per Adam Schefter.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:54 pm
Breaking: Former Seattle Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner is returning to Seattle on a one-year, $7 million deal, per Adam Schefter.
The LVD deal.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:03 pm
Phantom wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:54 pm
The LVD deal.
That's the rate for ILBs approaching their mid-30s.
Most hated man in America.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

There’s chatter about Gerald McCoy being in the Bucs ring of honor… am I missing something or has he not done anything to earn something like that?

The dude was a decent player who was injured all the time here. Why on earth would he be in our ROH?

https://www.pewterreport.com/gerald-mcc ... -of-honor/
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:33 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:03 pm

The LVD deal.
I hope you’re not insinuating that LVD isn’t worth the contract he agreed on to stay with Tampa?
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:12 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:33 pm

I hope you’re not insinuating that LVD isn’t worth the contract he agreed on to stay with Tampa?
How in the pure fuck did you conjure that assumption up? Good God, that's reaching beyond the logical scope of reaching, kiddo. Do better.
Bahamian:bucfan

Post by Bahamian:bucfan »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:39 pm There’s chatter about Gerald McCoy being in the Bucs ring of honor… am I missing something or has he not done anything to earn something like that?

The dude was a decent player who was injured all the time here. Why on earth would he be in our ROH?

They are kidding right!?

Gerald " smiley face" McCoy in the ring of honor!?

Are they talking about the same Gerald McCoy who said just about every off season " watch and see, I'm not saying anything. You guys will see what I am going to do this season"!
After all these years I am still waiting to see what he is going to do!!

He NEVER became a leader of men and he NEVER became that guy that just took over games!!

Is this the same Gerald McCoy that was dancing and smiling on the sideline when we were LOOSING to Atlanta.........this is who they are talking about putting in the ring of honor!?

I've done more to help the bucs win by spending my money to watch them play live, cheering them on in the stadium and at my home, and by buying Jersies and other team items over the years.........I have never played a down for the bucs before but I deserve to be in the ROH before McCoy!

God bless the man. He appears to be a respectable young man BUT he does not belong in the ROH!

NOTE: TOM BRADY also DOES NOT BELONG IN THE roh!
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Bahamian:bucfan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:17 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:39 pm There’s chatter about Gerald McCoy being in the Bucs ring of honor… am I missing something or has he not done anything to earn something like that?

They are kidding right!?

Gerald " smiley face" McCoy in the ring of honor!?

Are they talking about the same Gerald McCoy who said just about every off season " watch and see, I'm not saying anything. You guys will see what I am going to do this season"!
After all these years I am still waiting to see what he is going to do!!

He NEVER became a leader of men and he NEVER became that guy that just took over games!!

Is this the same Gerald McCoy that was dancing and smiling on the sideline when we were LOOSING to Atlanta.........this is who they are talking about putting in the ring of honor!?

I've done more to help the bucs win by spending my money to watch them play live, cheering them on in the stadium and at my home, and by buying Jersies and other team items over the years.........I have never played a down for the bucs before but I deserve to be in the ROH before McCoy!

God bless the man. He appears to be a respectable young man BUT he does not belong in the ROH!

NOTE: TOM BRADY also DOES NOT BELONG IN THE roh!
I agreed with everything until the Tom Brady line.
Tom Brady definitely deserves ROH. Not only did he bring us a superbowl but he also changed the culture and mentality of a team that was a perennial loser.
In 2019 we were hoping and praying just to have a winning record, in 2020 with the acquisition of Brady, our sights were instantly set on the superbowl... and guess what. We won the whole damned thing.
If Tom Brady doesn't belong then nobody else belongs either.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The only guys to begin their Bucs careers with Raheem-Koetter who should be in our ROH discussion - Lavonte David, Mike Evans, Ali Marpet, Chris Godwin, Vita Vea. And right now, only David and Evans are getting in IMHO.

McCoy...I want to like the guy. I hate how much shit he took for being a different dude, or being a B-Type. He was a damn good football player, one of only 2 or 3 on the roster for much of his career.

But the body of work just isn't ROH worthy. He's a distant 4th in Sacks. Only 19th in Games Played. As we well know, he never played in a playoff game in his career. It's just not enough to put him next to those other guys.

Brady? Absolutely, if only for the pub.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I agree with you MJW.

McCoy kept a positive attitude through a lot of shit. After an injured start, the guy went on to give us 7 great years, with 6 pro-bowls (sometimes as our only representative), 3 all-pros, 6 Top 100 appearances, and our Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee. But after Sapp left some people wanted... another Sapp, not a McCoy. Especially being drafted at #3 after Suh. And he wasn't that. He also never had anything close to a Rice/Crane combo.

With all that said, I don't know about Ring of Honor. I really feel that's for franchise-altering guys. Cornerstones. And while McCoy was a great player for us I don't think he was that.

Here is a fun hypothetical. Say we brought him back for our 2020 run as a rotational guy. Add a ring to the resume, we talking RoH? HoF?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

49ers’ GM John Lynch endorsed QB Brock Purdy as the team’s starter: “I think Brock has earned the right with the way he played that he’s probably the leader in the clubhouse at that...if we were to line up, he’d probably take that first snap.”
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Probably? They aren't full throat endorsing him or their rookie savior Trey Lance? Omg, they must not believe in anyone. They need to blow it up and go get Caleb.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trey Lance is a bust.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:16 pm
49ers’ GM John Lynch endorsed QB Brock Purdy as the team’s starter: “I think Brock has earned the right with the way he played that he’s probably the leader in the clubhouse at that...if we were to line up, he’d probably take that first snap.”

Why is the GM speaking for the coach?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:08 pm I agree with you MJW.

McCoy kept a positive attitude through a lot of shit. After an injured start, the guy went on to give us 7 great years, with 6 pro-bowls (sometimes as our only representative), 3 all-pros, 6 Top 100 appearances, and our Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee. But after Sapp left some people wanted... another Sapp, not a McCoy. Especially being drafted at #3 after Suh. And he wasn't that. He also never had anything close to a Rice/Crane combo.

With all that said, I don't know about Ring of Honor. I really feel that's for franchise-altering guys. Cornerstones. And while McCoy was a great player for us I don't think he was that.

Here is a fun hypothetical. Say we brought him back for our 2020 run as a rotational guy. Add a ring to the resume, we talking RoH? HoF?
I don’t buy the only franchise altering cornerstones in the RoH. For one, the Bucs have barely had any players like that. Plus, there’s several people in the RoH already that don’t fit that description. Jimmie Giles was damn good for his day, but a franchise altering cornerstone? I fail to see how he is any more of a cornerstone than McCoy is. Bruce Arians only coached here for three years and we threw his fat ass in immediately.

Also, I would argue that 9 years of outstanding football that included multiple Pro Bowls and All Pros is pretty damn close to a cornerstone.

If this is the standard yall want to set for the RoH, then we need to stop inducting people in until Mike and Lavonte retire because there’s nobody left that fits the bill.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's a pretty easy argument that Arians have far more impact on this franchise in 3 years than McCoy did in 9.
I mean, ffs, the damn BUCS were an OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT. Who in the world would've thought we would ever say that.
Not only that he headed a historic super team that ACTUALLY WON.

Forget just Buc altering, Arians 3 years here were felt across the league. And we spun a bunch of copycats with the Rams, Broncos, Browns, and Jets.

It's okay if no one is left, there is plenty of time for new guys to emerge.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:39 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:16 pm

Why is the GM speaking for the coach?
Because he’s the general manager?
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

It's not McCoy's fault that Jameis Winston was a sack of shit.

Let's not Deion Sanders this where you must have been elite of the elite to be considered for inclusion. McCoy was ROH worthy.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Gerald McCoy played really well for a lot of crappy teams, and his resume stacks up against the other dudes in the RoH who aren't in Canton. Those other guys who are in the Ring but not the Hall are:

- John McKay
- Jimmie Giles
- Paul Gruber
- Mike Alstott
- Doug Williams
- Malcolm Glazer
- Monte Kiffin

The Ring of Honor is our Hall of Very Good in addition to our Hall of Fame. McCoy should be in our Hall of Very Good, and LVD and Mike Evans will be joining him soon after they hang up their spurs.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

If McCoy is in then please include:

JPP
Suh
Barrett
Vea
Winfield
Evans
Godwin
Gronkowski
David
Davis

Because these are all better players who have done more for this franchise.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:18 pm If McCoy is in then please include:

JPP
Suh
Barrett
Vea
Winfield
Evans
Godwin
Gronkowski
David
Davis

All of these players were at least 3 time All-Pros & 6 time Pro-Bowlers while they were here??

Now your response will no doubt confirm you have no idea what the Ring of Honor stands for. But I'm curious. So let's see. GO!
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:20 am

JPP
Suh
Barrett
Vea
Winfield
Evans
Godwin
Gronkowski
David
Davis

All of these players were at least 3 time All-Pros & 6 time Pro-Bowlers while they were here??

Now your response will no doubt confirm you have no idea what the Ring of Honor stands for. But I'm curious. So let's see. GO!
I don't know what any of you think an RoH is, but I think it's a way for teams to honor players and coaches that played a significant role in their team's history which I take that to mean that a team's history can't be adequately told without talking about a particular player or coach.

Based on that, I'd have a hard time including McCoy regardless of the personal accolades he received while playing for the Bucs. While personal awards can be part of the decision, it certainly shouldn't be the sole metric to use when considering RoH worthiness. Can the Bucs story be told without mentioning McCoy? I think it can. Hence, my excluding him from this particular honor.
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:44 am

I don't know what any of you think an RoH is, but I think it's a way for teams to honor players and coaches that played a significant role in their team's history which I take that to mean that a team's history can't be adequately told without talking about a particular player or coach.

Based on that, I'd have a hard time including McCoy regardless of the personal accolades he received while playing for the Bucs. While personal awards can be part of the decision, it certainly shouldn't be the sole metric to use when considering RoH worthiness. Can the Bucs story be told without mentioning McCoy? I think it can. Hence, my excluding him from this particular honor.
This got me thinking:

Is AJ Green going to be in CIN's ROH?
Is Ryan Kerrigan going in WASH?
Is MJD going in JAX?
Is Anquan Boldin goin in AZ?
Is Muhsin Muhammad goin in CAR?

Just some random players that I think could be compared to McCoy ...sort of.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

JPP
Suh
Barrett
Vea
Winfield
Evans
Godwin
Gronkowski
David
Davis

Every player I listed has done more for the Bucs than McCoy

McCoy was an above average player in a time when NFL DT talent was lacking, making him seem better than he was.
Snake

Post by Snake »

McCoy was legitimately a great player for a long time. Am I taking crazy pills?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:44 am

I disagree with you.

Every Buc who has made six or more Pro Bowls as a Bucs is in the Ring... except McCoy. McCoy is third in team career sacks despite constant double teams. For a long stretch of time, most NFL fans couldn't name a current Buccaneers player who wasn't a joke, except Gerald McCoy.

Is Gerald the best Buc in team history, no. But he's right up there with Giles and Gruber in the same category, and I WOULD argue that you couldn't tell the story of the Buccaneers without talking about McCoy. Something like:

"The long years between their two Superbowl wins were mired by mediocrity, a second Dark Age of Buccaneer football echoing the first that began with the decline of the Selmon years and ended with the arrival of Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin. But just like in that first dark age, there were bright lights to be seen in the gloom. As Ricky Bell and Jimmy Giles and Paul Gruber were spotlights of talent in their time, so was Gerald McCoy in the years prior to the resurgence of the Buccaneers as one of the top teams in the NFC.

*Insert McCoy career synopsis as a dominant defender of his era, which isn't hard to do.*"