The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by Snake »

He's 25 years old and had to spend an entire year reinventing his mechanics instead of usurping GabTrash as QB #2.

Says it all.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Actually, it doesn't say anything at all but you do you buddy.

I will say this, I have super cooled on Trask. It's one thing to have been hand picked by the QB Whisperer himself to run a system that fits you like a glove. It's another to just have been on the team and now you have a whole new OC and system.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. It's all about fit. And right now we have no idea what our fit even is. Very good chance Trask ain't a fit for it of no fault of his own.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:08 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 pm

How is everyone so negatively convinced on a commodity (Trask) they know nothing about?
NFL fans lose a lot of love for you once you're no longer a rookie. It turns even more sour the higher up you're picked.

And there is always a new class with fresher rookies. We love rookie sensations. Grooming is for the birds.
Grooming is great. But even Rodgers & Mahomes got to be the backup QB before they became the starter. Trask was more akin to an intern. Hell...not even that since he was never activated for games until the Atlanta game when Bowles planned to sit everyone after the first few series and knew he'd need his 3rd QB to finish out the game.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

AJ Green retires

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:07 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:08 pm

NFL fans lose a lot of love for you once you're no longer a rookie. It turns even more sour the higher up you're picked.

And there is always a new class with fresher rookies. We love rookie sensations. Grooming is for the birds.
Grooming is great. But even Rodgers & Mahomes got to be the backup QB before they became the starter. Trask was more akin to an intern. Hell...not even that since he was never activated for games until the Atlanta game when Bowles planned to sit everyone after the first few series and knew he'd need his 3rd QB to finish out the game.
You're thinking too linearly about the depth chart. It's a lot more fluid than that.

We can be grooming Trask in a difficult system to take over when it comes time and at the same time not want to make the moment Brady gets hurt in the middle of a game when we test where we are in the project.
We carried Gabbert because he was the bird in hand.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:15 pm
Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:07 pm

You're thinking too linearly about the depth chart. It's a lot more fluid than that.

We can be grooming Trask in a difficult system to take over when it comes time and at the same time not want to make the moment Brady gets hurt in the middle of a game when we test where we are in the project.
In my lifetime, that's not how NFL teams have ever worked. A team may carry 3 QBs but they always put their first/next choice in the #1 backup role. That's especially true if they were highly drafted as Trask was. If they felt a QB was such a project, they'd never waste a 2nd round pick on them. They'd get them in much later rounds. Yep...just like NE did with Brady. They drafted him as a project. Yet he was STILL their #1 backup to Bledsoe.

Look, I know you're hoping Trask will deliver. So do I. So does every Buc fan here. But we've seen absolutely zero evidence that will be the case. All we've really seen is evidence that his own coaching staff doesn't think he's ready to play NFL QB. If that's the case, you don't draft the guy in the 2nd round to sit for 2, 3, or 4 years on the inactive squad.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Actually, my post above is about how I've cooled on Trask. But that's not the point.

That's other teams. Run by other staffs running their own systems. This is/was this team. Subbing in for an injured Brady is not the time to live fire test where your QBOTF is. Especially in a system that requires a brutal amount of reps with your starters, of which he's gotten next to none.

Trask's window for reps and overtaking Gabbert would only come in a Brady-less offseason. Which we were set up for. But that plan got squashed.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:30 pm They’ve already made tackling really difficult.

They should get rid of turf if they care about injuries.
This. Players have repeatedly complained about the pain and injuries caused by turf, but the owners won’t hear it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

He's the latest to decline the Cardinals.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

No one wants to work with Kyler Murray
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:11 pm No one wants to work with Kyler Murray
That is part of it, I think.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:25 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:15 pm

In my lifetime, that's not how NFL teams have ever worked. A team may carry 3 QBs but they always put their first/next choice in the #1 backup role. That's especially true if they were highly drafted as Trask was. If they felt a QB was such a project, they'd never waste a 2nd round pick on them. They'd get them in much later rounds. Yep...just like NE did with Brady. They drafted him as a project. Yet he was STILL their #1 backup to Bledsoe.

Look, I know you're hoping Trask will deliver. So do I. So does every Buc fan here. But we've seen absolutely zero evidence that will be the case. All we've really seen is evidence that his own coaching staff doesn't think he's ready to play NFL QB. If that's the case, you don't draft the guy in the 2nd round to sit for 2, 3, or 4 years on the inactive squad.
Brady was famously a fourth string quarterback coming into New England, so that ain't exactly true.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Cheb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:32 pm

Brady was famously a fourth string quarterback coming into New England, so that ain't exactly true.
At the time Bledsoe went down, it was true. I don’t recall him being a 4th string. So he must have shown enough in that first camp to elevate him to #2. Interesting.
Don't tread on me
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

He was 2nd before the end of season 1 and was 2nd string when Bledsoe got injured.

When Brady was retired last year we threw our hats in for Watson.

The number 1 reason people don't have confidence in Trask because our coaches/FO haven't shown confidence in him. He was behind Gabbert and Griffin 2 years ago, then 3rd last year. We've all heard various posters' reasons why this was, but when was time to test him out BA said he was in the market for a QB.

All of that coupled with;
  • He wasn't considered a great prospect; low ceiling, low floor...by most. Some said he was better than others, but that was the popular opinion.
  • He was taken in the 2nd during our window, many will always hate him for the sunk opportunity cost of someone who could have contributed..fair or not.
  • He hasn't looked great against back-ups...not as bad as some made it out to be, but looks very much like the prospect he was before they "re-architected" his mechanics
No one can name a situation like this before where a 2nd round pick (basically early 3rd, but that argument goes both ways) has not even really been allowed to take meaningful reps in practice and kept behind terrible QBs like Gabbert and Griffin. There's also never been a situation where a team got a shot with the GOAT and push all their chips in.

The team treated him like a 7th round pick and fans/posters are treating him the same. That's the amount of confidence and expectations have been set by statements from coaches on him, playing time, positioning in the lineup.. We all know there's a chance that he absolutely turns into a Purdy/Romo or the long list of players who shocked fans/teams when put into action, but the chances are higher that he doesn't.
Last edited by uscbucsfan1 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:24 pm

At the time Bledsoe went down, it was true. I don’t recall him being a 4th string. So he must have shown enough in that first camp to elevate him to #2. Interesting.
That year was Brady's 2nd year. He was 4th string the year prior.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:42 pm
Buc2 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:24 pm

The Patriots made the unusual decision to carry four quarterbacks (instead of three) on the roster. Brady started the season as the fourth string quarterback, behind starter Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop; by season’s end, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe. During his rookie season, he was 1-of-3 passing, for six yards.

Maybe this person is mixing things up, but I seem to remember him being the backup his rookie season and the first google search appears to be saying the same, but regardless... Not close to the same situation as Trask.

edit: It seems SI says the same, he was 2nd string by the end of the season his rookie season.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:53 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:42 pm

The Patriots made the unusual decision to carry four quarterbacks (instead of three) on the roster. Brady started the season as the fourth string quarterback, behind starter Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop; by season’s end, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe. During his rookie season, he was 1-of-3 passing, for six yards.

Maybe this person is mixing things up, but I seem to remember him being the backup his rookie season and the first google search appears to be saying the same, but regardless... Not close to the same situation as Trask.

edit: It seems SI says the same, he was 2nd string by the end of the season his rookie season.
Brady started the year as 4th stringer as, like you mention, they elected to keep 4 QBs because they did like him. Brady was only active for two games around Thanksgiving. Bishop seemed to have passed Friesz as the backup at that point and was active for one of the games Brady was as well. So I don't know if there was an injury there or not. Brady was not active for the last 5 or 6 games of the season.

I'm not commenting on the Trask situation which really isn't like the 2000 Patriots 5-11 and out of the playoffs situation. My only real comment was on where Brady was on the depth chart during 2000.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I cannot believe fans are actually complaining about this. Brady very famously takes all the reps. I doubt Blaine got many reps in with Evans and Godwin. No, I wouldn't expect Trask to get any real meaningful reps with Brady around.

BUT THAT IS OKAY.

Because we knew all this.
We knew Brady didn't have much left so we drafted a successor that can drop deep dimes.
We know this system has a steep learning curve so we invest the years grooming.
The offseason Brady retires, Trask and Gabbert will split reps. Trask first real chance to build crucial chemistry with the starters (not mid game), and get into a rhythm. Then show his rhythm with Evans/Godwin has the highest ceiling.
The most biscuits wins the job.

This was all set up so god damn well fans should be applauding. But Brady came back and we threw it all away. And honestly, that's fine, that's football, and I'd throw any plan away for a Brady run.

But in no way is this anything to be mad about, let alone at Trask.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Drafting a low ceiling QB with our 2nd round pick during a year we were trying to repeat as champions is nothing to be applauded. It was a dumb dogshit pick then, and it's even worse now when even our own coaching staff is looking to "swing for the fences" with Trask as our only QB option.

It was a terrible draft pick by Licht. The faster you can come to terms with that and move on, the better.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Sean Payton is marking his territory in Denver already.
On Monday, after the Broncos had their introductory press conference for Payton, the sideline leader was asked about Wilson having his own "personal coaches" – which notably includes Jake Heaps, Wilson's own QB coach – around Denver's team facility.

Without fully diving into all of his plans, Payton quickly quashed the concept of Wilson having his own people around all the time.

"That's foreign to me," Payton said. "That's not going to take place here. I mean, I'm unfamiliar with it, but our staff will be here, our players will be here, and that will be it."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/f ... /51260717/
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:14 am Drafting a low ceiling QB with our 2nd round pick during a year we were trying to repeat as champions is nothing to be applauded. It was a dumb dogshit pick then, and it's even worse now when even our own coaching staff is looking to "swing for the fences" with Trask as our only QB option.

It was a terrible draft pick by Licht. The faster you can come to terms with that and move on, the better.
And, I don't think KJ Britt is the one to replace LVD.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 am Sean Payton is marking his territory in Denver already.
On Monday, after the Broncos had their introductory press conference for Payton, the sideline leader was asked about Wilson having his own "personal coaches" – which notably includes Jake Heaps, Wilson's own QB coach – around Denver's team facility.

Without fully diving into all of his plans, Payton quickly quashed the concept of Wilson having his own people around all the time.

"That's foreign to me," Payton said. "That's not going to take place here. I mean, I'm unfamiliar with it, but our staff will be here, our players will be here, and that will be it."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/f ... /51260717/
I'm guessing Wilson won't have his own office space anymore either.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:34 am
Buc2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 am Sean Payton is marking his territory in Denver already.

I'm guessing Wilson won't have his own office space anymore either.
That's dangerwich territory.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ugh, hindsight divas are unbearable.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The only acceptable reasons to post on a message board is to congratulate nfl personnel for doing the right thing or excuse their mistakes.

That’s it.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:06 pm Ugh, hindsight divas are unbearable.
No hindsight about it. I was calling the dogshit Trask pick out the moment it happened. I got shit on by the usual suspects, but now they've come around as well.

You don't take a low ceiling QB with a 2nd round pick when you're trying to repeat during Brady's final season(what we thought at the time).

But we did just that and Trask has continued to be an embarrassing selection. OBP knows it's an embarrassing pick with how they're discussing the QB position.

Just accept that Trask was a terrible pick then, and now, and move on.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:27 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:06 pm Ugh, hindsight divas are unbearable.
No hindsight about it. I was calling the dogshit Trask pick out the moment it happened. I got shit on by the usual suspects, but now they've come around as well.

You don't take a low ceiling QB with a 2nd round pick when you're trying to repeat during Brady's final season(what we thought at the time).

But we did just that and Trask has continued to be an embarrassing selection. OBP knows it's an embarrassing pick with how they're discussing the QB position.

Dude. You shit on every draft pick the moment it happens.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:49 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:27 pm

Dude. You shit on every draft pick the moment it happens.
On the bad ones, yes, which has been common lately. I praised the Wirfs and AWJ picks because they were good.

Not much more complicated than that.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Guys what @BucsNBills is trying to say is he's clairvoyant and knows what picks will be good and which ones won't. But only after it happens.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:10 pm Guys what @BucsNBills is trying to say is he's clairvoyant and knows what picks will be good and which ones won't. But only after it happens.
LUGZ wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 pm Guess we'll see in 2023 if this pick was worth a damn or not.
LUGZ wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:54 pm
Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:41 pm

You could say the same thing about literally any prospect for this team in this draft, at any position.

We return all of our starters and many of our backups. Most if not all of our rookies are gonna redshirt.

Relax.
There are still positions that wet can get SOME value from.

Why not secondary? We're one injury away from a catastrophic domino effect in the secondary. At least a corner could provide injury depth, insurance for a possible CD3 departure, special teams, and some quarters coverage me

Trask meanwhile will contribute nothing. He's almost certainly just a career backup QB, nothing more.

And why are we drafting a QB that reminds Arians of Brad ****ing Johnson when we're in the modern NFL?

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible pick. At least Tryon gives us some value and could develop into a good player. But Trask is the least physically impressive QB we have and one of our QBs is about to turn 44 years old.

I'm not going to carry water for Licht on this pick.

This pick is the same product of the bad process that led to us taking Tryon. They decided long ago that they were taking Trask in the 2ns and didn't care about value or who was available at the time.

I mean if we're going to take a QB in the second... Someone that won't contribute for two ****ing years... Couldn't we have gone for one of the physical upside guys?

Bad pick no matter how you spin in.
LUGZ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:07 am
Doctor wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:01 am Wtf is the modern NFL? That's just a lame way of saying "what's currently popular". When will you learn there are many ways to win a chip. Not one right way, just trendy ways.

In the days of Shanahan, McVay and Roman our "archiac" offense has outperformed them all.
Go watch some Trask tape and look at his weird throwing motion and zero velocity. Done?

Now tell me how that QB is going to compete against

Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Lamar Jackson
Kyle Murray
Russell Wilson
Trey Lance
Deshaun Watson

Trask is a backup QB. I know it. You know it. We all know it.

We're in win now mode with a 44 year old QB and we took a backup QB. Just say it out loud.
LUGZ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:49 am
Digital_Damage wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:35 am

Yes he does... according to his assessment he has a bad arm, bad footwork, mobility problems.

He is only able to make throws in a clean pocket with time.

I think we were caught off guard with the run on Oline that happened, most late 2nd to early 3rd got swept up.
Weak arm... Bad footwork... No mobility.

I mean, that sounds like the epitome of a starting caliber QB in the modern NFL.

And we have tons of success stories in the past with his physical traits and draft profile, right?

I mean, why wouldn't Licht take someone like Trask despite having access to nearly 100 years work of QB success and failures to learn from, copious amounts of analytics and statistics to draw upon, and the modern trend of QB to lean towards.

How COULDN'T a GM look at Trask and think "Despite the weak arm, bad mechanics, and retirement home athleticism, I'm going to look past that and hope he can overcome all his physical shortcomings and compete against guys like Mahomes and Allen."

Just seems like a smart move by Licht to me.
I was right then, and I'm right now. Sorry.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Yes. We know you think you called one.

But it has always been a gut call probably fueled by gator hate and your usual histrionics.

At this point I hope Trask wins a league MVP just to spite you.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:27 pm Yes. We know you think you called one.

But it has always been a gut call probably fueled by gator hate and your usual histrionics.

Well, it's not really a question of IF I called Trask being a terrible pick...I DID call it.

As for Gator hate, I don't even watch college ball. I dislike all college football programs equally.

And if we select another dogshit QB that has no hope of achieving anything in this league in the 2023 draft, I'll be sure to call that out as well.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:31 pm
_MB_ wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:27 pm Yes. We know you think you called one.

Well, it's not really a question of IF I called Trask being a terrible pick...I DID call it.

As for Gator hate, I don't even watch college ball. I dislike all college football programs equally.

And if we select another dogshit QB that has no hope of achieving anything in this league in the 2023 draft, I'll be sure to call that out as well.
This is just further confirmation that you have no analysis that leads to your conclusions. Just making shit up as you go.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:10 pm Guys what @BucsNBills is trying to say is he's clairvoyant and knows what picks will be good and which ones won't. But only after it happens.
He foresaw Brady unretiring and derailing JL and BAs stuuuuupid plan for a clean and smooth QB transition. OBP should've seen it coming and instead used the pick to draft the perfect guy that would've butterfly affected the entire 2021 season into a championship. The fact that they didn't is proof enough of why they got to go.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

For the eleventy millionth time, Trask is not Trash yet. Give the kid a chance before we say he's the worst pick ever.