The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by Snake »

How else are you supposed to tackle someone from behind if you can’t drive them?
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Cheb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:28 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:25 pm

I've hated seeing this since defenders started doing this in recent years. This technique is not taught at any level of football. Rugby has seen these type of tackles rise recently and have had injuries from them rise as well. Get rid of it.
This isn't exactly a new technique. It's one of the better ways to tackle a ballcarrier when you are behind him; wrap him up and drop your body to drag him to the ground. It arrest his forward momentum far more than just swiping a leg or any other posterior techniques.

If it leads to injury then I understand trying to avoid it. But at the same time, this isn't like those horse collar tackles than ruined Bo Jackson's and Cadillac Williams' careers. As far as I know, these hip-drop types of tackles cause ankle sprains, hardly debilitating injuries. And they happen all the time.

Let's say I'm chasing down a ballcarrier from behind and wrap him up around the waist. I strain to pull him backwards but slip, which causes my body to fall. Do I now get penalized for a hip-drop tackle?

This is going to make tackling definitely harder, and just takes another tool out of defender's toolboxes to get ballcarriers to the ground. I'm all about player safety, but this feels like it's a bit much.
Gonna see a lot more penalties each game. 5, 10, or 15 yards?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:37 pm How else are you supposed to tackle someone from behind if you can’t drive them?
Ask them politely, but you have to be careful about drawing a taunting penalty as well.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Moozician wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:38 pm

This isn't exactly a new technique. It's one of the better ways to tackle a ballcarrier when you are behind him; wrap him up and drop your body to drag him to the ground. It arrest his forward momentum far more than just swiping a leg or any other posterior techniques.

If it leads to injury then I understand trying to avoid it. But at the same time, this isn't like those horse collar tackles than ruined Bo Jackson's and Cadillac Williams' careers. As far as I know, these hip-drop types of tackles cause ankle sprains, hardly debilitating injuries. And they happen all the time.

Let's say I'm chasing down a ballcarrier from behind and wrap him up around the waist. I strain to pull him backwards but slip, which causes my body to fall. Do I now get penalized for a hip-drop tackle?

This is going to make tackling definitely harder, and just takes another tool out of defender's toolboxes to get ballcarriers to the ground. I'm all about player safety, but this feels like it's a bit much.
Just what we need, more ways to bail out offenses.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:37 pm How else are you supposed to tackle someone from behind if you can’t drive them?
Tackle them the way they are taught to and the way they tackle 98% of the time.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Moozician wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:38 pm

Just let them score. Duh.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

So, we get to see offense scoring go up yet again. smh
Don't tread on me
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:11 pm
Let us theorycraft a bit here.

Let's say that I have the ball as a runner and you are a defender. You defeat your blocker admirably after a spell and take a solid pursuit angle. But the blocking was good. You and I are now in the open field at a full sprint, and we are about the same speed. Because of that pursuit angle, you are right behind me, close enough to grab.

You have two options here. You cannot just wrap up, chop your feet, and drive through contact; we are already running and you are behind me. You could try to dive at my legs, hoping you latch onto a thigh or calf or foot and so being me down, but there's a very strong chance that I break that tackle and keep going.

A smart decision would be to wrap me up and drop your weight, a hip-drop tackle, maybe trying to dig in your feet for extra leverage. That would stop my forward momentum and give you the highest likelihood of success.

How would you try to tackle me in such a scenario while avoiding this infraction?
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:11 pm

Let us theorycraft a bit here.

Let's say that I have the ball as a runner and you are a defender. You defeat your blocker admirably after a spell and take a solid pursuit angle. But the blocking was good. You and I are now in the open field at a full sprint, and we are about the same speed. Because of that pursuit angle, you are right behind me, close enough to grab.

You have two options here. You cannot just wrap up, chop your feet, and drive through contact; we are already running and you are behind me. You could try to dive at my legs, hoping you latch onto a thigh or calf or foot and so being me down, but there's a very strong chance that I break that tackle and keep going.

A smart decision would be to wrap me up and drop your weight, a hip-drop tackle, maybe trying to dig in your feet for extra leverage. That would stop my forward momentum and give you the highest likelihood of success.

How would you try to tackle me in such a scenario while avoiding this infraction?
A better, more technically sound thing to do would be to wrap the ball carrier and roll them over. Or wrap and drive them to the turf. Not using a technique you yourself have never coached your players to do.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:52 pm
I'm guessing at least 1 of them is Atlanta.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I'm not sure how much thought the Bears should put into taking Young and trading Fields, but they owe it to themselves to at least explore the possibility.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:54 pm I'm not sure how much thought the Bears should put into taking Young and trading Fields, but they owe it to themselves to at least explore the possibility.
I would imagine that the lotto ticket of the number 1 overall pick would net more in a trade than Justin Fields would. Moreover, having an experienced Fields with a stronger team around him would probably be preferable to a rookie Young who may or may not suck nuts in NFL with less resources allocated to the team. Fields, love him or hate him, is a known commodity, and that's not nothing. He also has shown that he can play in cold weather and carry an offense by himself, which Young has not. More importantly, Fields isn't built like a twiglet, and Young is about as thin as they come. One wonders how well Young will hold up to NFL hits when he doesn't have one of the better lines in football keeping his jersey clean.

If I were the Bears, I'd trade that pick for the king's ransom it deserves, then use those spoils and my $90 million in cap space to build a team around my guy Fields.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:28 am
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:54 pm I'm not sure how much thought the Bears should put into taking Young and trading Fields, but they owe it to themselves to at least explore the possibility.
I would imagine that the lotto ticket of the number 1 overall pick would net more in a trade than Justin Fields would. Moreover, having an experienced Fields with a stronger team around him would probably be preferable to a rookie Young who may or may not suck nuts in NFL with less resources allocated to the team. Fields, love him or hate him, is a known commodity, and that's not nothing. He also has shown that he can play in cold weather and carry an offense by himself, which Young has not. More importantly, Fields isn't built like a twiglet, and Young is about as thin as they come. One wonders how well Young will hold up to NFL hits when he doesn't have one of the better lines in football keeping his jersey clean.

If I were the Bears, I'd trade that pick for the king's ransom it deserves, then use those spoils and my $90 million in cap space to build a team around my guy Fields.
Agree with all of this. Also more bullish on Fields than most.

The Bears should get the best deal that keeps them in the top 4. That way, they can get a significant payday and still get Jalen Carter or Will Anderson, both absolutely elite #1 pick type talents.

If they could deal that pick to Indy, and pick up a package like #4, #34, a 5th, and a 2024 1st...and still end up with a talent like that...that's a great jump start.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm shocked MJW. Wouldve thought you all for the kings ransom.

I agree, a big haul is nice but it doesn't guarantee you any studs, or even shots at studs. Idk if I'd want to give up Jalen Carter or Will Anderson.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Good for her.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

She sure knows how to hold a football
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:12 am I'm shocked MJW. Wouldve thought you all for the kings ransom.

I agree, a big haul is nice but it doesn't guarantee you any studs, or even shots at studs. Idk if I'd want to give up Jalen Carter or Will Anderson.
If they're picking 4th, they're not giving up on those guys. In the scenario where the Colts swap picks, the Colts would take the guy they like better. The Texans would take the other guy. The Cardinals would take whichever defensive stud they like best (I'd bet heavily on Anderson.) The Bears would likely still get Carter, or barring that, Anderson, a hell of a consolation prize for the draft capital they've picked up.

If they dropped any further, I agree they'd be making that sacrifice. Doesn't mean they shouldn't think about it. For example, they could likely get #5, #20, #38, and maybe #84 for #1 (IF Pete Carroll is in love with one of the QBs.) There's still a decent chance they get one of those two at #5. But if they don't, they're still ending up with Paris Johnson, Tyree Wilson, Jordan Addison, etc, plus a world of draft compensation.

Or how about an even bigger swing? The Jets decide they want to solve QB once and for all (again.) They offer the Bears #13, #44, #113, a 2024 1st and 3rd, a 2025 2nd, and, say, Mekhi Becton or Michael Carter for #1 and a couple of late throw-ins? At #13, they're looking at guys like Christian Gonzalez, Lukas Van Ness, Bijan Robinson, Broderick Jones, etc.

Just spitballin'. The Bears are not one player away. They should maximize the very rare opportunity of a) Having the #1 Pick, b) Having a quarterback worthy of the #1 pick, and c) Not needing to draft him with that pick. It's fairly rare.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

If the Bears believe Justin Fields is that guy and also believe that none of these top projected other dudes are sure fire multiple all-pros…it seems like trading down is the right idea.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Disagree. In fact, I don't even think you risk trading down to 4. You NEVER know what can happen in the draft. You are assuming way too much.

If you think either of those guys are what you think you are you just take them and put them on your squad.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Justin Fields ain't that guy, IMO, but I could realistically see every option:

1. Draft BPA
2. Draft best QB
3. Trade
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:28 pm Disagree. In fact, I don't even think you risk trading down to 4. You NEVER know what can happen in the draft. You are assuming way too much.

If you think either of those guys are what you think you are you just take them and put them on your squad.
The Bears likely have their eyes on a number of prospects because they have a lot of holes, QB not being 1 of them. Trading down with a roster this bad is the only route honestly. They need all the help they can get in numerous areas.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The Panthers just hired Ejiro Evero as their DC, most recently DC of the very impressive Broncos defense.

Between Reicht and Evero, those Panthers are going to be a Problem next year. Even more so if they get a quarterback.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I bet the Panthers acquire Derek Carr.

If we roll with Trask, they’re officially better than Tampa.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Frank Reich was incredibly frustrating with a pretty darn talented Colts team.

A star QB can turn anyone's fortunes around though and they could be big players for Lamar too.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:33 am Frank Reich was incredibly frustrating with a pretty darn talented Colts team.

A star QB can turn anyone's fortunes around though and they could be big players for Lamar too.
He plays not to lose instead of playing to win. I'm not worried about him long term as the Panthers coach.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Isn't the history of non-QB #1 overall picks like really exceptionally good? If I'm Chicago there's no way I'm leaving the top 4 because there's a really great chance Anderson/Carter are Hall of Famers while there's probably an equal chance Stroud/Young are JAGs.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 am Isn't the history of non-QB #1 overall picks like really exceptionally good? If I'm Chicago there's no way I'm leaving the top 4 because there's a really great chance Anderson/Carter are Hall of Famers while there's probably an equal chance Stroud/Young are JAGs.
Chicago shouldnt care at all about the "history" of the #1 overall pick. You're just as likely to get a Myles Garrett as you are a Courtney Brown.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:21 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 am Isn't the history of non-QB #1 overall picks like really exceptionally good? If I'm Chicago there's no way I'm leaving the top 4 because there's a really great chance Anderson/Carter are Hall of Famers while there's probably an equal chance Stroud/Young are JAGs.
Chicago shouldnt care at all about the "history" of the #1 overall pick. You're just as likely to get a Myles Garrett as you are a Courtney Brown.
Always arguing semantics. The point is there's a much better chance one of the top two position players is more impactful than the 5th or 6th or the QBs, which will go #1 and #2 probably. Anderson and Carter are a tier above.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:25 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:21 am

Always arguing semantics. The point is there's a much better chance one of the top two position players is more impactful than the 5th or 6th or the QBs, which will go #1 and #2 probably. Anderson and Carter are a tier above.
I'm gonna need you to look up what semantics means.

This point could have easily been made without trying to tie in the history of non-QB #1 overall picks. That's a debatable position but that's up to the Bears scouting depth and GM to decide. They may feel like the gap between 1 & 6 isn't as big as draftniks/fans do or they might feel it's larger. But the history of the pick should have no bearing.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 am I bet the Panthers acquire Derek Carr.

It's depend on who the Bucs OC
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 am
Snake wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 am I bet the Panthers acquire Derek Carr.

How is everyone so negatively convinced on a commodity (Trask) they know nothing about?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:33 am Frank Reich was incredibly frustrating with a pretty darn talented Colts team.

I like Reich. He comes from a great coaching tree and actually got more out of Wentz than anyone else could. I mean, look at Wentz under Reich compared to everyone else.

He was dealt a rough hand in 2022. I was hoping Carolina wouldn’t get him because I wanted him here in 2024. Reminds me a lot of Doug Pederson, his former boss, and look how Pederson is turning out.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 am

How is everyone so negatively convinced on a commodity (Trask) they know nothing about?
NFL fans lose a lot of love for you once you're no longer a rookie. It turns even more sour the higher up you're picked.

And there is always a new class with fresher rookies. We love rookie sensations. Grooming is for the birds.