Brady to the Jets

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
IronDog

Re: Brady to the Jets

Post by IronDog »

McFan wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:11 pm
nybf wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:10 pm Seeing the way he's seemingly taken a step back this year, I would absolutely love seeing him go to the Jets, get their fans hopes up once again, and watching them crash and burn to the ground.
Yeah, cuz that's never happened before. (Note to self: NYBF still has sadistic moments)
Still? You mean there was a period of doubt?
Push the damned button already!
Snake

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:08 pm Only way I see Brady coming back to the Bucs is if we take drastic and aggressive measures to ensure the mess of 2022 doesn't happen again
They seem to be in somewhat of a cap mess. Is it possible to assemble the necessary depth and skill needed to make an actual run given those barriers?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:29 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:08 pm Only way I see Brady coming back to the Bucs is if we take drastic and aggressive measures to ensure the mess of 2022 doesn't happen again
They seem to be in somewhat of a cap mess. Is it possible to assemble the necessary depth and skill needed to make an actual run given those barriers?
Yes. Just...

Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Which is gonna be hard to do with numerous FAs and over $40mil in the hole.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Back to the Jets, no way in hell Brady goes to a division with Josh Allen & Tua barely entering their primes.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:43 pm
I think we could do enough cap shenanigans to solve a few problems on the roster combined with what we do in the draft, to at least noticeably improve one side of the football. Unfortunately that would be at the detriment of the other, leaving Brady either with another anemic offense or a defense he has to score 30+ every week to get a W.

I suppose it's possible he comes back if we make some real moves, but this isn't going to be a juggernaut team in 2023 no matter we do. At best we'll be very one dimensional as a team and will likely end up dying by the sword in the playoffs.

Anyone think that sounds enticing to Brady?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:55 pm Back to the Jets, no way in hell Brady goes to a division with Josh Allen & Tua barely entering their primes.
Looks like Tua’s prime is over
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:00 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:43 pm

I think we could do enough cap shenanigans to solve a few problems on the roster combined with what we do in the draft, to at least noticeably improve one side of the football. Unfortunately that would be at the detriment of the other, leaving Brady either with another anemic offense or a defense he has to score 30+ every week to get a W.

I suppose it's possible he comes back if we make some real moves, but this isn't going to be a juggernaut team in 2023 no matter we do. At best we'll be very one dimensional as a team and will likely end up dying by the sword in the playoffs.

Anyone think that sounds enticing to Brady?
Nope. Smart money is on an east coast team the makes it easier to see his kids. Miami really might be the move.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Brady is going to look at the short list of teams that even want him and go to where he thinks he is more likely to win another ring. Period. Point blank.

Nothing else matters.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:29 pm
If Brady comes back, they can keep kicking his cap hits down the line as well as with others. They definitely could do it, the Saints have been in cap hell every offseason for half a decade now and people still shit themselves every offseason when they still manage to agressively sign FAs.

The real question is, is it worth it to keep doing this for a desperate attempt at another Super Bowl with Tom Brady? I personally think no, but if Tom tells the organization he’s interested in coming back they will bend over as backwards they need to go to make it happen. Especially since Tom makes the Glazers so much money in merchandise and ticket sales.
Snake

Post by Snake »

If by some miracle Tom Brady told the team that he wants to come back, I’m all about moving heaven and earth to do it. I have ebbed and flowed on that in the previous months but,

If the greatest player in the history of this old game wants to play for this franchise - one that is probably doomed for failure for the rest of time - I think you keep it rolling.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Wonder what a Brady-Harbaugh collab would look like in Tampa...
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Absolutely it is.

Said it when I was banging the drum for Brady in the face of all that "he doesn't fit" naysayers, one of the caveats is to ride it till the wheels fall off. For as long as Brady wants to play here, I'll take it.

Brady came back because he knows he can still play with the best of them. He knows he can still win in this league. And he is not wrong. I am in no hurry to get back to drafting some first round guy and hoping he's the next Mahomes only for him to be a questionable of the 5th year option... again... and again. There is always another draft, that road will ALWAYS be waiting for us. They aren't running out of faux gold QBs anything soon.

Brady isn't interested in anything but winning another chip. The experience of an entire generation pumps through that man's veins. So long as he can throw a football, and he can still throw a football, I would commit to putting the best possible team around him. It's stupid to let even one postseason opportunity with him go even a single year too early.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

If Brady goes elsewhere, I wish him the best and thank him for the third round compensatory pick. There's a strong argument to be made that him staying here another year wouldn't be a wise move, from his perspective and from the team's.

On the other hand, if he doesn't makes like a tree and leaves, I would be cautiously optimistic about year 4 of the Brady era.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Imagine Brady in Miami with Tyreek Hill, Jayden Waddle and Gronk. Plus a James White-kinda back in Mostert. I think that’s where he lands…although it’d be odd to see him being head coached by a guy who looks like he could pass for his son.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

I think that the only was that Brady returns here is if we get deep into the playoffs... Like the NFC Championship game. Any less, he goes elsewhere. No idea where, though.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:50 pm Imagine Brady in Miami with Tyreek Hill, Jayden Waddle and Gronk. Plus a James White-kinda back in Mostert. I think that’s where he lands…although it’d be odd to see him being head coached by a guy who looks like he could pass for his son.
That's exactly what I think too. Either Miami or Las Vegas. I prefer that he stay in Tampa
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:55 pm Back to the Jets, no way in hell Brady goes to a division with Josh Allen & Tua barely entering their primes.
Yet people think he would want to go to a division with Mahomes and Herbert.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:07 am
That's even crazier IMO. The Raiders are no where near competing for a championship and McDaniels is proving that his Denver stint was not a fluke.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Dark Horse: Tennessee.

He had Vrabel seem to have genuine affection for one another. It's not a great roster right now. But few teams got as little as Tennessee did from their quarterbacks (16 TDs in 17 games and a sack taken on one out of every ten dropbacks) and they were still in contention until the final week. Put this year's Tom Brady there, and they're winning that division mid-December.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:30 am
The Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:07 am

That's even crazier IMO. The Raiders are no where near competing for a championship and McDaniels is proving that his Denver stint was not a fluke.
Like I implied above about Brady/Vrabel...I'm not 100% sold it's about the best shot of winning a title.

I think the guy wants to have some fun. And the best way to do that is to rock and roll with a coach/staff he genuinely likes and will have a good time playing for. That very well could be McDaniels. Throw in Adams, Waller, Jacobs, and Renfrow...I can see him digging that. It might not be the easiest path towards Ring #8...but I'm not sold that that'll be the SOLE criteria he makes this decision on.
Let's roll another joint
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:28 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:30 am

Like I implied above about Brady/Vrabel...I'm not 100% sold it's about the best shot of winning a title.

I think the guy wants to have some fun. And the best way to do that is to rock and roll with a coach/staff he genuinely likes and will have a good time playing for. That very well could be McDaniels. Throw in Adams, Waller, Jacobs, and Renfrow...I can see him digging that. It might not be the easiest path towards Ring #8...but I'm not sold that that'll be the SOLE criteria he makes this decision on.
a real lunch pale guy, the type that Brady likes to play with...
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Maybe if the Raiders were in the NFC.

But you can't go to a team in the AFC without a defense and expect to get out of that conference.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

With everything we know about Tom Brady you don't think his goal is to win a Super Bowl? smgdh
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:51 am With everything we know about Tom Brady you don't think his goal is to win a Super Bowl? smgdh
I didn't say it wasn't his goal. I don't think he'd go to the Texans if his dad was coaching them.

But these teams we're talking about are all pretty much in the same basic soup - Raiders won 6 games. Titans won 7. Jets won 7. Dolphins won 9, but they also got more from the QB they'd be replacing. The Dolphins are probably a bit ahead of the others, but they also have to contend with a far superior Bills team, a rising Jets team, and the one coach who knows all Brady's weaknesses.

Fact is, there isn't a team in the NFL right now who is "just a better QB away" from being a Superbowl team. We can talk about Tua in Miami, but the only thing Brady did better than Tua this year was stay healthy.
Let's roll another joint
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

The Jets are the definition of being a QB away, IMO. Great defense. Good young weapons at the skill positions on offense, good offensive line and running game. Good head coach. If they had Carr this year they'd have been pushing the Bills for the division all season.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:49 am The Jets are the definition of being a QB away, IMO. Great defense. Good young weapons at the skill positions on offense, good offensive line and running game. Good head coach. If they had Carr this year they'd have been pushing the Bills for the division all season.
Speaking of Carr, I wonder how Carr would affect the market for Brady. I mean, only a few teams were willing to gamble on Tom when we signed him. Now he's a few years older and coming off a weaker year. The teams in the market might decide to hitch their wagon to 6-10 years of Carr rather than 1 or 2 of Brady.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:49 am The Jets are the definition of being a QB away, IMO. Great defense. Good young weapons at the skill positions on offense, good offensive line and running game. Good head coach. If they had Carr this year they'd have been pushing the Bills for the division all season.
I'm not *quite* as bullish on them as you are. They have a great coach and some great young pieces. The OL is bad, and they don't have enough impact targets in the passing game right now, especially with Elijah Moore pouting.

If they add the QB along with a couple of linemen and a better #2 receiving option than Moore/Corey Davis, I'd be on board with them, so long as their youngsters continue to grow.
Let's roll another joint
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:26 am
I'm not *quite* as bullish on them as you are. They have a great coach and some great young pieces. The OL is bad, and they don't have enough impact targets in the passing game right now, especially with Elijah Moore pouting.

If they add the QB along with a couple of linemen and a better #2 receiving option than Moore/Corey Davis, I'd be on board with them, so long as their youngsters continue to grow.
The OL isn't bad. Their OL is great in the run game and holds up pretty well when they aren't protecting Zach Wilson. As for receivers, I don't think Brady would struggle with Wilson/Moore/Davis and a healthy Breece Hall. Also, seems like Moore got over himself the second half of the season.

And their defense is 100% legit.

You talk about things like impact targets, etc. I don't know about all that, what I do know is that team almost equaled our record with a carousel of Zach Wilson (worst QB in recent memory), Mike White, and Joe Flacco's corpse. We had Tom Brady.

Just going off of that I can tell you the Jets are a better football team than the Buccaneers are right now.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Terry Tate wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:14 am
Speaking of Carr, I wonder how Carr would affect the market for Brady. I mean, only a few teams were willing to gamble on Tom when we signed him. Now he's a few years older and coming off a weaker year. The teams in the market might decide to hitch their wagon to 6-10 years of Carr rather than 1 or 2 of Brady.
If we don't get Brady back and could somehow pull it off I'd love to have Derek Carr in Tampa, I think that move keeps our window open for another 5ish years.
nybf

Post by nybf »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:21 am
You talk about things like impact targets, etc. I don't know about all that, what I do know is that team almost equaled our record with a carousel of Zach Wilson (worst QB in recent memory), Mike White, and Joe Flacco's corpse. We had Tom Brady.
In a much tougher division.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Brady is not going to the Jets. /thread
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think the jets make a move for Rodgers or Lamar.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:39 am I think the jets make a move for Rodgers or Lamar.
I would be astounded if Lamar leaves. I know he's a special case with his skill-set, but he's still a barely 26 year old former league MVP.

By the same token, he's a guy that requires the entire offense tailored around his strengths (and weaknesses.) Now, the Jets are a good team for that right now - they have the right kind of weapons, I think, and I like the movement skills of their OL. They're also between OCs. But it's still a HUGE commitment, especially since Saleh came from an entirely different system (which may or may not matter to him, I don't know.)

In any case, I think Lamar stays in Baltimore, and I think they make a major investment in finding a similar-playing backup with more ability than Huntley.

Rodgers? THAT makes sense to me. The Jets offer #13, Elijah Moore, and Mekhi Becton, plus maybe a 2024 3rd that could become a 2nd (or even a 2nd that could become a 1st)...It's obvious Rodgers is in "Brady in 2019" mode with the Packers. He very well could "Brady in 2020" with Green Bay. Moore is a very talented young malcontent, and Becton's movement skills - when he can stay healthy - are ideal for the Packers. The Packers save a bunch against the cap, too, and get a chance to turn loose Jordan Love, for whatever that's worth. I like that deal for both sides, providing the Jets don't think Aaron Rodgers is simply cooked.
Let's roll another joint
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I few radio shows started talking about the Jets and the Dolphins being his only options. It will be interesting to see what happens.