2023 Playoffs General Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: 2023 Playoffs General Discussion

Post by MJW »

And by the same token, Andy Reid still doesn't have a ring without Mahomes. Had to throw that in there even though it's pretty obvious.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:01 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:53 am He didn't learn this from Andy Reid

Mahomes would be great no matter who's coaching him. He has tools and can make plays other QBs can only dream of. A laser for a TD from a collapsing pocket throwing off the wrong foot? You can't teach that.

You never hear these arguments for other great QBs that their coach made them. All Mahomes has done in 5 seasons as a starter is made 5 straight AFC Championships, 3 Super Bowls, won an MVP & a SB MVP and people still want to question Mahomes greatness? Fuck outta here.
Who are you talking to? Nobody said these things. I didn't even IMPLY them. You're incapable of addressing the conversation on it's own terms but you still want to hear yourself talk.

Andy Reid's Chiefs + Mahomes talent is one of the greatest marriages in NFL history.

If you think Patrick Mahomes goes to Chicago and is winning MVPs and Superbowls playing for John Fox, it's way too early to be that drunk.
Girl, not you.
MJW

Post by MJW »

And remember, Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech playing for Kingsbury = 5 wins. And NOBODY was suggesting Mahomes go #1. So the idea that he'd just go anywhere and be collecting chips and awards without good coaching is nonsense. He needed the coaching to reach his potential. Andy Reid needed his greatness to accomplish his coaching goals.

Not everything is a zero sum game.
Let's roll another joint
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:05 am And remember, Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech playing for Kingsbury = 5 wins. And NOBODY was suggesting Mahomes go #1. So the idea that he'd just go anywhere and be collecting chips and awards without good coaching is nonsense. He needed the coaching to reach his potential. Andy Reid needed his greatness to accomplish his coaching goals.

By Mahomes own admission he didn't even know how to read an NFL defense until like his 3rd or 4th season.

Reid made Mahomes, but Mahomes had the untapped potential for Reid to unlock in the first place.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:05 am And remember, Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech playing for Kingsbury = 5 wins. And NOBODY was suggesting Mahomes go #1. So the idea that he'd just go anywhere and be collecting chips and awards without good coaching is nonsense. He needed the coaching to reach his potential. Andy Reid needed his greatness to accomplish his coaching goals.

By Mahomes own admission he didn't even know how to read an NFL defense until like his 3rd or 4th season.

Reid made Mahomes, but Mahomes had the untapped potential for Reid to unlock in the first place.
Let's assume this is remotely true. Patrick Mahomes couldn't read a defense until his 3rd or 4th season.

His 2ND season, all he did was throw for 5000+ yards, 50 TD passes to just 8 picks, completed 66% of his passes, won the MVP, 1st team All-Pro....All while not being able to run a defense.

If that's what QBs who can't read defenses are doing why would you need coaching to begin with?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:51 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 pm

Let's assume this is remotely true. Patrick Mahomes couldn't read a defense until his 3rd or 4th season.

His 2ND season, all he did was throw for 5000+ yards, 50 TD passes to just 8 picks, completed 66% of his passes, won the MVP, 1st team All-Pro....All while not being able to run a defense.

If that's what QBs who can't read defenses are doing why would you need coaching to begin with?
Mahomes is the one who said it. And Red's scheme is just that good, plus with Mahomes raw talent.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:57 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:51 pm

Mahomes is the one who said it. And Red's scheme is just that good, plus with Mahomes raw talent.
The man's raw talent is so good he won an MVP while not being able to read a defense. Whatever Reid provided was an assist. It wasn't the catalyst.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:57 pm

The man's raw talent is so good he won an MVP while not being able to read a defense. Whatever Reid provided was an assist. It wasn't the catalyst.
Honestly I don't really care one way or the other. I'm over the whole Mahomes thing. But I'm certain that if goes anywhere other than KC, we're talking about whatever team drafting him being in need of a QB because he's a bust.

And I don't care if you agree or disagree with that assessment.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 pm

Honestly I don't really care one way or the other. I'm over the whole Mahomes thing. But I'm certain that if goes anywhere other than KC, we're talking about whatever team drafting him being in need of a QB because he's a bust.

You're not certain, you're wrong. But that's never stopped you.

Oh and I hope you learned your lesson on your Brady vacation.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:08 pm

You're not certain, you're wrong. But that's never stopped you.

Oh and I hope you learned your lesson on your Brady vacation.
You have no way to know if I'd be wrong or not. Unless you have a crystal ball nobody has access to.

And there was no lesson to be learned from the vacation. It's just a thing that happened and I'm over it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lets not even mention Jordan getting drafted by Portland...
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I don't think he'd necessarily have been considered a bust had he gone to another team. I think he has enough talent that he would have shown he wasn't a bust. He may not have gotten a 2nd contract with the team that drafted him, but I'd bet he'd still be starting for somebody.
Don't tread on me
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

He'd still be in the top-tier of QBs unless he went to a disaster of an organization. That's why it was beneficial to Mahomes that he was seen as kind of a project, it ensured he fell far enough that he was out of the grasp of the perennial losers like the Jags, Browns, Lions, etc.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:12 pm

I don't think he'd necessarily have been considered a bust had he gone to another team. I think he has enough talent that he would have shown he wasn't a bust. He may not have gotten a 2nd contract with the team that drafted him, but I'd bet he'd still be starting for somebody.
I mean that's totally plausible. Not sure what the controversy is honestly in stating the objective truth that Mahomes needed massive amounts of work from Andy Reid to get him to the place he is today. Lots of players get lucky in the situation they fall into. Lots of players have bad luck where they end up and have their careers derailed. Fortunately for Mahomes, he was a member of the former.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:15 pm
Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:12 pm

I mean that's totally plausible. Not sure what the controversy is honestly in stating the objective truth that Mahomes needed massive amounts of work from Andy Reid to get him to the place he is today. Lots of players get lucky in the situation they fall into. Lots of players have bad luck where they end up and have their careers derailed. Fortunately for Mahomes, he was a member of the former.
I don't disagree with that. Brady landed in a similar situation. Sure, he had to have had some talent, but you're not going to tell me that 32 teams passed on him for 5 rounds before the Patriots decided to take a flyer on him in the 6th. And I don't believe for one second that their coaching staff saw anything all that special in him. It was a marriage that benefited both, similar to the Mahomes/Reid marriage. Now Mahomes has had the coaching and experience to carry him beyond what Reid and his coaching staff taught him.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

How have the Chiefs played 2 more games than the Eagles?

Edit: Never mind, I get it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

What do Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, and Kyler Murray all have in common?
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 am What do Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, and Kyler Murray all have in common?
They’re black.
They’re not bald.

Do they look like a bitch?

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:02 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 am What do Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, and Kyler Murray all have in common?
They’re black.
They’re not bald.

Do they look like a bitch?

They've all won 1 game at the Cardinals home stadium this year. Mahomes & Hurts has a chance to win another game there.
MJW

Post by MJW »

This thread is what's wrong with America.

Reid helped Mahomes. Mahomes helped Reid. They were better together than they would have been apart.

We all know these things. All of us. But we have to pretend we don't so we can pretend there's some bigger narrative that we must draw battle lines on.
Let's roll another joint
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:45 pm
I think it will depend on the running game. If the Eagles can put up a buck fifty or more on the ground, I think they win. If the Chiefs can stop their running game, I think the Chiefs win. This should be a good game either way.
Don't tread on me
Puss in Boots

Post by Puss in Boots »

Any of the officials from the AFCCG get assigned to the super bowl, too? That might be the edge the chiefs need.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I doubt I watch the SB. I don't feel good about how either of the teams "earned" their berth and quite frankly either team winning is a pretty boring and lame result of this season. There's a good chance I don't even watch the SB this year.

Instead I'm cool steam ahead on FA and draft stuff. Way more interesting than the SB.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 am I doubt I watch the SB. I don't feel good about how either of the teams "earned" their berth and quite frankly either team winning is a pretty boring and lame result of this season. There's a good chance I don't even watch the SB this year.

Instead I'm cool steam ahead on FA and draft stuff. Way more interesting than the SB.
They were the number 1 teams in their respective conferences and won every playoff game they've played thus far. Tell me, how else could the Chiefs or Eagles "earn their berth"? By doing your goddamn taxes and volunteering at the local old folks' home?
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:53 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 am I doubt I watch the SB. I don't feel good about how either of the teams "earned" their berth and quite frankly either team winning is a pretty boring and lame result of this season. There's a good chance I don't even watch the SB this year.

They were the number 1 teams in their respective conferences and won every playoff game they've played thus far. Tell me, how else could the Chiefs or Eagles "earn their berth"? By doing your goddamn taxes and volunteering at the local old folks' home?
I would like to see more extra-curricula, yes.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So the Chiefs will wear white jersey, they’re guaranteed to win the Super Bowl? Har har
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

People. smh
Super Bowl 2023: Everyone is betting on the Eagles to beat the Chiefs by this exact final score and here's why
Everyone seems to be betting on the same final score for the Super Bowl

By John Breech 1 hr ago 3 min read

If you're betting on the Super Bowl, one way to win big is to bet on the exact final score of the game, which is something a lot of people have been doing over the past few days. By itself, that's not necesarily notable, but the twist here is that everyone seems to be betting on the EXACT SAME final score.

Of the hundreds of props being offered by BetMGM for the big game, their fourth-most popular one has to do with the final score: Everyone is betting that the game is going to end with the Eagles beating the Chiefs 37-34. BetMGM has taken so many bets on that score that the odds have dropped from a starting point of 250-to-1 down to 80-to-1.

It's not just BetMGM though, because the same thing is happening at Draft Kings. According to the Action Network, 21% of all the final score bets that Draft Kings has taken has the game ending with the Eagles winning 37-34.

For some reason, everyone thinks that the game is going to end with that score even though that's a score that almost never happens. Only two games over the past two seasons have ended with a final score of 37-34 and only one Super Bowl team has ever even put up exactly 37 points and they definitely didn't win 37-34 (Washington beat the Bills 37-24 in Super Bowl XXVI).

So why is everyone betting on the same final score?

It's all happening thanks to viral tweet that was sent out this week. The tweet, which was seen more than 10 million times before being deleted, included a picture of the "Super Bowl script," which showed a final score of 37-34. In the tweet below, you can see what the viral image looked like.

If you're wondering why everyone is talking about a "Super Bowl script," well, that's a long story, but we're going to tell it anyway.

With all the bad officiating that has been going on this year, the hashtag #NFLRigged has been trending on Twitter after certain games that were poorly officiated, like the AFC Championship between the Bengals and Chiefs. That led some people to believe that the NFL was truly rigged and that the league was handing out "scripts" for each game so that players knew what to do.

That story stayed in the dark corners of the internet until a Jan. 31 podcast when Arian Foster was asked by PFT Commenter about the scripts that players get in training camp.

"We were really dedicated to it," Foster said of the scripts during the Macrodosing podcast. "So, it was more so like, that's what practice was about, it was about practicing the script. This is what goes on and this is what we have to do... WWF, so it's like we know what's going to happen, but you still got to put on a show."

After Foster facetiously made those comments, the story took on a life of its own, and now, Super Bowl scripts have been leaking all over the place. The most notable one was the 37-34 script that has the Eagles winning and enough people are buying into the script that the 37-34 prop is now one of the most popular ones at every sportsbook.

The NFL definitely isn't scripted, but the league is probably going to have a hard time convincing some people of that if the Super Bowl ends up with a final score of 37-34. Also, if that happens, the sports books will be losing a lot of money since everyone is betting on it, so there are certainly going to be a lot of people hoping that 37-34 doesn't happen.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Smart move by Vegas to take the “script” thing and capitalize. They’re gonna make a shit ton of money because society is ridiculously stupid. Brilliant.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Can you imagine the shitstorm that'll happen if the final score does happen to be that? I dont believe its scripted at all but itll be a funny coincidence and the aftermath will be pure gold.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Obsolete wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:51 pm Can you imagine the shitstorm that'll happen if the final score does happen to be that? I dont believe its scripted at all but itll be a funny coincidence and the aftermath will be pure gold.
I actually hope that turns out to be the score. :lol:
Don't tread on me