2023 Playoffs General Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Re: 2023 Playoffs General Discussion

Post by Primeminister »

Selmon Rules wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:13 pm
MJW wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:54 pm

That's the key. Part of that is basic decency, or at least I like to think so.

But another big part of it, in your case and this one, is you don't want people doing something really dangerous when they're not mentally committed to do it.
We weren't nearly as shook up as those guys were but yeah, gotta have your head on right or bad things happen
Players regularly say they cannot think about injury possibilities otherwise they’ll lose focus which leads to injuries. Can you imagine restarting that game only to have exactly that happen?
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:56 pm IF that happens, and that's still an if, there are three repercussions I can see for the playoffs. First, every playoff team except the Bengals and Bills will have less reason to rest starters in Week 18, because one week off is rest and two weeks off is rust. Second, every team in the NFC will know who their opponent is with two week's notice, which the AFC will not know until the end of Week 19. Third, and possibly most critically, every playoff team will get a little healthier before Wild Card Weekend, and that means some players who would have been out will be able to come back and some players who might not have started now will do so.

So, everyone gets healthier, but not everyone will be equal. Those more beat up right now will advance more towards the mean than those who are in good shape going in. The Bucs would certainly benefit, and maybe the most as some key players will be much more ready with just that one extra week of practice, like Jensen. But we won't know for sure if ANY of this matters until the Commisar finally makes his big announcement on what the hell the NFL is going to do about the AFC playoff mess.
And don't forget the time commitments involved. If just the SB, consider the TV commitments, the half-time show "talent" and their schedule commitments. TV provides the vast amount of money for the teams and they don't like rearranging their schedule because one client shit the bed.
Push the damned button already!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Primeminister wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:18 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:44 pm I think they were ready to deal with the PR nightmare of continuing the game when the dude could've literally died before getting the hospital.

I promise you there are advisors right now advocating for not only giving them losses, but fines, for refusing to play. Arguing that "we support the stoppage of play to.... be respectful and pray?" is the worst stance they could take because then the line in the sand is crossed.

Say the Tua thing happens next week, you think that game still finishes after we've established a precedent for "stopping the game after witnessing something horrible"? I don't know, but we do know for a fact that without the precedent we did in fact finish that game, and that's how the NFL wants it.
The NFL’s own words prove this post wrong. Troy Vincent said the NFL never intended to restart the game once they were aware of the injury (a player had medically died on the field). This means they were not prepared to take the PR nightmare of continuing since they aren’t prepared to take the PR nightmare of even saying they would have continued.

I think your read on this one has been wrong.

Perhaps it was. Or perhaps the league is now backtracking. Rather remarkable that the report of "word from NY office is to restart in five minutes" made it's way all the way through all the channel to the commentators lips given no such thing was ever said.... or was it? Who knows.

But, yes, regardless of if the league was ready to weather the PR storm at the time or not, it's clear by these statements that they are not now.
Or perhaps there's even more than PR at play here...

The NFL can shrug off bad PR, it does it all the time. However, if say the initial report was true that the NFL did try to restart but players nixed it... by doubling down they NFL could be risking far more than just bad PR in the public eye. It could be risking the precedent of affirming and validating the never before practice of what could probably be dubbed "player nullification".

Perhaps worst than that, a hardline response could have triggered a bigger response by the players. Say a full league wide sit out of next weeks game. THEN you have a real disaster.

\Maybe some bean counters figured you have too much to lose by not restarting or condemning the teams for not playing, but some other bean counters figured you have far far more to lose if you try to do that and the players unite against you. Especially at this time, right before playoffs, in the mist of so many huge deals too. At the peak of NFL supremacy.

The NFL beats the NFLPA in CBA talks every time because at the end of the day the NFL can fracture the players union. Divide it up amongst old heads and young ones, among the average players and the super stars, etc. That's how they keep getting the Franchise Tag through, despite most super stars hating it, they are outnumbers by average players who will likely never face it and would gladly offer it up as a concession in negotiations for other stuff that will actually affect them. The Hamlin situation, if handled poorly, could be a lightning rod for player unity which would be a far bigger threat to the NFL bag than anything else. And we all know the golden rule.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So another solution being kicked around for the Bills/Bengals game fiasco is to eliminate the bye week altogether, and a one time only 8th team would get a playoff berth.

Then everyone just plays 3 weeks of playoffs.

Could be a very fun fix that adds drama and more playoff football.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:39 pm So another solution being kicked around for the Bills/Bengals game fiasco is to eliminate the bye week altogether, and a one time only 8th team would get a playoff berth.

What basement level Podcasters Twitter did you get this from?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:44 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:39 pm So another solution being kicked around for the Bills/Bengals game fiasco is to eliminate the bye week altogether, and a one time only 8th team would get a playoff berth.

Rich Eisen
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:46 pm

Rich Eisen
My point exactly.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:47 pm

Rich Eisen
My point exactly.
Who got it from Albert Breer.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Rich Eisen
Well done 😂
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote "Perhaps it was. Or perhaps the league is now backtracking. Rather remarkable that the report of "word from NY office is to restart in five minutes" made it's way all the way through all the channel to the commentators lips given no such thing was ever said.... or was it? Who knows."
It is standard operating procedure in the NFL to give teams 5 minutes to warm up after an extended delay in the game. My guess is that it was one of the game officials who informed the teams they had 5 minutes to warm up.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

That’s a horribad idea
nybf

Post by nybf »

Random number generated seeding, extra playoff teams. Seeds 11 and 12 play rock paper scissors for an entry into the 4 team (seeds 8, 9, 10, RPS winner) playoff for the 8th seed.

Seeds 13 through the end play a double elimination losers bracket. Game days decided by the roll of an 8 sided die (Sunday - Saturday plus a star). If you roll the star you get to pick what day your game is played. The team the rolls the die is based on reverse alphabetical order of official team name.

Winner of the losers bracket get the #1 pick. The teams that lose both games of their double elimination tournament are related to the usfl.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:24 pm Doctor wrote "Perhaps it was. Or perhaps the league is now backtracking. Rather remarkable that the report of "word from NY office is to restart in five minutes" made it's way all the way through all the channel to the commentators lips given no such thing was ever said.... or was it? Who knows."
It is standard operating procedure in the NFL to give teams 5 minutes to warm up after an extended delay in the game. My guess is that it was one of the game officials who informed the teams they had 5 minutes to warm up.
Sounds like a plausible explanation to me.

The 8th seed is an interesting way of saying "fine, no one gets the bye!"... but it doesn't do much for seeding or hosting home games.

Regardless there are going to be numerous parties that feel "cheated" by whatever results from this and will undoubtedly seek to restrict the authority of whoever is responsible for executing this cheat. In fact, I would not put a lawsuit entirely out of the question.
Nano

Post by Nano »

NFL finally announced the worst-kept secret that the game is canceled. Will be declared a no-contest

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I think our running game will improve because of those three bombs to Evans.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:43 pm I think our running game will improve because of those three bombs to Evans.
So you think those 3 bombs to Evans will also improve our passing game?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Brazen331 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:37 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:43 pm I think our running game will improve because of those three bombs to Evans.
So you think those 3 bombs to Evans will also improve our passing game?
Yes, even moreso if we connect again with other players. A key though is we have to keep moving the chains.
It has to be determined how defenses are going to play us. There are many players that can and will run with Mike, they (Tom and Mike) need to get the comeback pass workin to keep moving the markers.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

I certainly hope this version of the Dallas team shows up next week in Tampa. We need all the help we can get.
Push the damned button already!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I mean....Do either the Cowboys or Bucs look very "threatening"? Game will likely be a war of attrition.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I can’t speak for Dallas, but they played like they knew the game didn’t matter. Prescott is a lot better than how he played. But I hope this version of them shows up next week. I won’t complain.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Does anyone know when the super wild card schedule come out?

Tonight or tomorrow?

I think we might get night game because of Dallas the America football team
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:51 pm Does anyone know when the super wild card schedule come out?

Tonight or tomorrow?

I think we might get night game because of Dallas the America football team
The Super Wild Card schedule comes out tomorrow. But the NFL Playoff wild card schedule will be released tonight during the Pack/Lions game.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

So looks like we play cowboys into eagles?

Very possible path to the NFC championship
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Packers or Seahawks - who has better shot at knocking out SF?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Holy fuck does Collinsworth have to force Mahomes into every conversation? Rodgers was throwing it "Mahomes style"??? As if Rodgers hasn't been doing that shit before Mahomes mattered at all?

It would be nice to go one God damn game without hearing his stupid name.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:32 pm Holy fuck does Collinsworth have to force Mahomes into every conversation? Rodgers was throwing it "Mahomes style"??? As if Rodgers hasn't been doing that shit before Mahomes mattered at all?

Analysts are going to bring up the best QB in the game even when he’s not playing.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:36 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:32 pm Holy fuck does Collinsworth have to force Mahomes into every conversation? Rodgers was throwing it "Mahomes style"??? As if Rodgers hasn't been doing that shit before Mahomes mattered at all?

Analysts are going to bring up the best QB in the game even when he’s not playing.
Then he's still bringing up the wrong QB.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:37 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:36 pm

Patrick Mahomes is the best QB in football and you know it. He’s going to win his 2nd MVP award this season as well and his team has the #1 seed. Deal with it.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:39 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:37 pm

Patrick Mahomes is the best QB in football and you know it. He’s going to win his 2nd MVP award this season as well and his team has the #1 seed. Deal with it.
"Best QB" and "#1 seed".

Both gifted to him by outside forces.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Collinsworth is a bottom tier commentator
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Even after that game! There are only 3 teams going to the playoffs ranked higher than us in total defense.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Are big rushing numbers gone for these playoffs? Who can still do it?
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

According to the Associated Press, we get the Monday Night Football time slot. Confirmation from the NFL, hmm.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-playoffs-p ... 37422.html

Edit: Confirmed. It's Monday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/super-wild-car ... -announced

Edit: I should have known there's an active thread on this already. (bonks head)
Last edited by Xandtar on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Another day for rest at this point, even one day, can make a difference. We'll pay for it if we win, with one less day.

But one game at a time, y'all.

Bring on the Boys, I'd love to put the Boys on my sig twice, and bookend the Boys' season with losses to the Bucs at the beginning and the end.
Last edited by Xandtar on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.