2023 Playoffs General Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: 2023 Playoffs General Discussion

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:07 pm Staley, once again thinking he's the smartest man on the field,
I’m guessing most head coaches are like this. But he certainly flaunts it.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:13 am Sounds like it could be a downpour in San Fran Saturday
I think 49ers will be fine. They've played several games in rainy conditions.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:24 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:07 pm Mike Williams out for the Chargers. Staley, once again thinking he's the smartest man on the field, plays everyone in a meaningless game and gets his best WR hurt for his franchise QBs first playoff game.

I truly hope the Chargers do the right thing by firing their clown HC and brings in a real HC like Payton.
This is a bad take. Football players play football. Some get hurt, some don't. If he got hurt in practice this week, would you call the coach dumb?
Our game last week didn't matter and Brady made it out unscathed.
But Mike Will getting hurt is EXACTLY why you shouldn’t risk your starters in a meaningless game.

The Chargers are a worse team without Mike Will, just as we would be a worse team without Evans or Godwin.

Sure, we made it out unscathed. But the risk taken by playing starters is obviously not worth it see injury to Mike Will.

Do you honestly think we gained anything playing starters for the 1st half? Kept any “momentum”?

Did the Chargers maintain enough “momentum” playing their starters to make up for losing Mike Will?

It was moronic to play starters for either team.
GoldenBudda

Post by GoldenBudda »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 pm Dallas has never won a playoff game in their dark navy jerseys.
I'm glad we're wearing white so Dallas can't. My favorite combo is the red jersey and pewter pants with the orange stripe down the side. Dope
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:07 pm Mike Williams out for the Chargers. Staley, once again thinking he's the smartest man on the field, plays everyone in a meaningless game and gets his best WR hurt for his franchise QBs first playoff game.

I truly hope the Chargers do the right thing by firing their clown HC and brings in a real HC like Payton.
This is a bad take. Football players play football. Some get hurt, some don't. If he got hurt in practice this week, would you call the coach dumb?
Agreed. If he had gotten hurt on the 1st play of the playoff game, no one would say anything about Staley playing him. The thought that Williams was somehow more susceptible to injury in week 18 than he was in week 17 or week 10 or Wildcard weekend is ridiculous.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Who said he was more susceptible? It was a meaningless game that Williams got hurt in. He's known to be injury prone, same with Bosa who also got banged up and Derwin James who's made of glass.

It was dumb decision, plain and simple.

Him getting hurt in the playoff game is not even the same ballpark as getting hurt in a week 18 game that can do nothing for the team in the standings.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He was more susceptible because he was playing. he wouldn’t be susceptible to injury (via playing football) if he wasn’t playing. That’s about it.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:53 pm He was more susceptible because he was playing. he wouldn’t be susceptible to injury (via playing football) if he wasn’t playing. That’s about it.
So players shouldn’t practice ever because they might get hurt playing football in a meaningless practice that means nothing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I don’t think that’s a comparable situation but sure
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Brady is susceptible to being Hurt Monday. If Bowels were worth a damn, he'd start Trask so Brady won't get injured.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:58 pm Brady is susceptible to being Hurt Monday. If Bowels were worth a damn, he'd start Trask so Brady won't get injured.
That game is consequential. Wasn’t the Chargers game going to have no playoff implications for the Chargers?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:18 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:58 pm Brady is susceptible to being Hurt Monday. If Bowels were worth a damn, he'd start Trask so Brady won't get injured.
That game is consequential. Wasn’t the Chargers game going to have no playoff implications for the Chargers?
What's the argument? That injuries during consequential games are better? Do you get credit if a player is hurt during a consequential game?
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:21 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:18 pm

What's the argument? That injuries during consequential games are better? Do you get credit if a player is hurt during a consequential game?
The argument is that Williams got hurt in a game that held zero playoff implications for the Chargers. Wondering whether or not Brady should play in a game that has playoff implications isn't even whataboutism. It's just a complete non sequitur.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

You're right. We should start playing our starters for all four quarters during preseason games as well. It doesnt matter when a player gets hurt so may as well get them out there for more snaps.

If we lose Wirfs or Evans for the year during a preseason game, then so be it
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yeah, it’s about risk mitigation. Of course players can get hurt during the games of consequence. The point is making them available for the games of consequence. And not risking them being unavailable, due to getting hurt in a game that didn’t matter.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Because it's a more meaningful injury if they get hurt during a game that matters
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

It's just another classic thread derailment tactic. No point in giving it anymore attention. It's futile discussing something in good faith with a contrarian.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:51 pm Because it's a more meaningful injury if they get hurt during a game that matters
The Klingon team goes hard AF during those games.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:49 pm Yeah, it’s about risk mitigation. Of course players can get hurt during the games of consequence. The point is making them available for the games of consequence. And not risking them being unavailable, due to getting hurt in a game that didn’t matter.
You just made an argument for players never practicing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:59 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:49 pm Yeah, it’s about risk mitigation. Of course players can get hurt during the games of consequence. The point is making them available for the games of consequence. And not risking them being unavailable, due to getting hurt in a game that didn’t matter.
You just made an argument for players never practicing.
I think it’s one reason they have scaled back contact in practice to the degree they have.

I also think there’s a risk/benefit analysis. Yeah, there’s a chance a guy tears an achilles tendon running routes in practice. But what are the chances? Are the benefits of practicing and having good timing, good rhythm, etc. worth the one in X chance of tearing achilles?

Look at the preseason example that has been used. Why don’t the starters play all 16 quarters?

Why are starters pulled in a blowout?

It’s just applying the same mentality to another game.

I don’t personally think that playing a full contact game that is inconsequential to playoff implications is worth whatever benefit.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Man, you're obtuse AF today...
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Moozician wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:37 pm
Let's be real here, people only started using that description because they thought their opinions meant way more than they actually did.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:38 pm
Let's be real here, people only started using that description because they thought their opinions meant way more than they actually did.
Be real?
C'mon Bootz, you already know all this shit.
If a game has little consequence (like the Atlanta game) Pulling starters early isn't a bad idea. Even sitting some starters out, especially if they are still recovering from injury is ideal.

Or in a blowout, (Bucs up 37 - 3 in the third quarter) you pull your starters and hopefully your opponent does, as well. So now you've got guys out there that have little real game experience playing. But they are learning, and that experience MAY be invaluable later. Of course, somebody, playing in a televised game is trying to "make hisself known" torques up and hurts someone, putting them out a few games.

If you DON'T pull your starters, the same thing might happen. Some defensive lineman, pissed off because he's not having a good game crushes your starting QB. It was all unnecessary.

In practices, don't guys go like 3 qtr speed? Fights occur when players hit too hard (Titans/Bucs training camp).

But I know that you already know all this stuff, so why the blowup?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Respectfully disagree. Strongly.

The difference between game hits and practice hits, even physical practices, is huge.

I get the logic behind going through your normal practice schedule and routines before a meaningless (you know what I mean) type game. Routines are huge. But to then put your most value assets in harm's way for an extended period of time in game situations because....something something leather helmets and manliness something...that makes no sense to me.

I loathe the whole, "you play to win the game" mentality. No. You play to win championships. Risking losing someone who increases your odds of doing that because you're making some point is horrid risk management.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 am

The difference between game hits and practice hits, even physical practices, is huge.

I get the logic behind going through your normal practice schedule and routines before a meaningless (you know what I mean) type game. Routines are huge. But to then put your most value assets in harm's way for an extended period of time in game situations because....something something leather helmets and manliness something...that makes no sense to me.

I loathe the whole, "you play to win the game" mentality. No. You play to win championships. Risking losing someone who increases your odds of doing that because you're making some point is horrid risk management.
I see both sides, I just don’t think there should be any blame, you know. A dude got hurt, tough titty.
MJW

Post by MJW »

acmillis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:10 am
MJW wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 am

I see both sides, I just don’t think there should be any blame, you know. A dude got hurt, tough titty.
Fair.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
nybf

Post by nybf »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:54 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:53 pm He was more susceptible because he was playing. he wouldn’t be susceptible to injury (via playing football) if he wasn’t playing. That’s about it.
So players shouldn’t practice ever because they might get hurt playing football in a meaningless practice that means nothing.
When you move the goal posts to a different continent.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Today?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I will pick Seattle to win today
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Man the 49ers game looks so good in 4k hdr. Can't wait until that's the norm for all games
Kress

Post by Kress »

Surprised Geno didn't lose that ball.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That was beautiful throw by Brock. Too bad it’s not a touchdown
Kress

Post by Kress »

Phantom wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:42 pm That was beautiful throw by Brock. Too bad it’s not a touchdown
Beautiful throw, but late. That's what separates guys like Brady from the rest. That ball comes out earlier, and it's a TD.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Purdy settles down, this will be a long game for the Seahawks. I believe I may have picked the wrong winner for this game. lol
Don't tread on me
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

How in the hell did Woolen fall all the way to the 5th at 6'4 with 4.26 speed?