Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Defense5599

Re: Prayers up for Demar Hamlin

Post by Defense5599 »

This was the scariest thing I have ever seen in a football game. The NFL made the right decision postponing this game. I don't see a way to continue playing... especially if Hamlin doesn't make it.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:40 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:38 pm 1st time I've ever seen him apologize for something he tweeted. He no doubt got a call from someone important.

I can actually see what he means by re-reading his first tweet. But he should’ve been a lot more clear. Seems like he wanted the troll potential and the out with the vaguery.
This is one of those times Skip should've said nothing at all.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I don't think skip meant anything bad. Just thinking out loud. But it was clumsy wording.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Henry McKenna

@McKennAnalysis
·
4m
From Damar Hamlin’s close friend and marketing representative:
Quote Tweet

Jordon Rooney
@jordonr
·
15m
Update on Damar:

His vitals are back to normal and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat. They are currently running tests.

We will provide updates as we have them.
I said what I said

Snake

Post by Snake »

His charity. Was at $12k like an hour ago.

(730k+ now)

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-ch ... -toy-drive
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:44 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:40 pm

I can actually see what he means by re-reading his first tweet. But he should’ve been a lot more clear. Seems like he wanted the troll potential and the out with the vaguery.
This is one of those times Skip should've said nothing at all.
Every time is one of those times tbh.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:47 pm Henry McKenna

@McKennAnalysis
·
4m
From Damar Hamlin’s close friend and marketing representative:
Quote Tweet

Jordon Rooney
@jordonr
·
15m
Update on Damar:

His vitals are back to normal and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat. They are currently running tests.

We will provide updates as we have them.
That's actually great news all things considered.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:17 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:11 pm
This just isn't realistic.

It's fine to say now in the moment, but this game has large financial implications for the teams and the league. Almost 100% chance they play.
It's the second to last week of the season, and both teams play in six days' time. Does the NFL want to force both teams to play tomorrow, despite what they just witnessed? Do they wait longer, forcing them to play two games in five days, maybe in an even shorter span?

The smart play is to call it a tie and move on.
What if they called it a win for both teams (seems a tie dings them both) does calling it a win for both teams hurt any other teams?
I said what I said

uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:53 pm
Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:17 pm

It's the second to last week of the season, and both teams play in six days' time. Does the NFL want to force both teams to play tomorrow, despite what they just witnessed? Do they wait longer, forcing them to play two games in five days, maybe in an even shorter span?

The smart play is to call it a tie and move on.
What if they called it a win for both teams (seems a tie dings them both) does calling it a win for both teams hurt any other teams?
The Chiefs and Ravens (Bengals win takes the AFC North).

A tie can potentially hurt both the Bills and Bengals.

Also, the NFLPA/Players have to approve Tuesday games.

So if it's announced the game is tomorrow, the teams and players approved it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Thanks juice
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:58 pm

Thanks juice
Taking time off looking for the killer.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:58 pm

Thanks juice
🤮
I said what I said

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:49 pm His charity. Was at $12k like an hour ago.

(730k+ now)

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-ch ... -toy-drive
Almost 900k now
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Hopefully he heals up and we play tomorrow.

In worst case scenario, I guess a tie is the only solution? Don’t know what else they can work out. That would give KC homefield and give the Bengals the AFC North but take them out of running for 1 seed. In other words, Buffalo and Baltimore get the worst end of it.

Again, prayers that it doesn’t come to that.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Restarting the game comes with logistical challenges. The Bills were probably scheduled to fly back to Buffalo tonight. The Bills would have to find lodging in the Cincinatti area for tonight to play the game tomorrow. What hotel could handle lodging 100 personnel on short notice? Trying to restart the game on Thursday would leave a short gap to play the final game on Sunday, or even Monday. Player's health then becomes a real concern. There probably isn't a good solution for either of these teams or other teams that could be affected by the outcome of this game.
Snake

Re: Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

Post by Snake »

Call it a tie, or do a coin flip for the winner.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So apparently the league didn't even make the decision to call the game...

Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:07 pm Restarting the game comes with logistical challenges. The Bills were probably scheduled to fly back to Buffalo tonight. The Bills would have to find lodging in the Cincinatti area for tonight to play the game tomorrow. What hotel could handle lodging 100 personnel on short notice? Trying to restart the game on Thursday would leave a short gap to play the final game on Sunday, or even Monday. Player's health then becomes a real concern. There probably isn't a good solution for either of these teams or other teams that could be affected by the outcome of this game.
I don't think there is either... but this is a matter of life and death. There is no way they could've continued playing tonight.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:09 pm So apparently the league didn't even make the decision to call the game...

No the league made a decision that once the ambulance was off the field the players would have 5 minutes to get ready to go back and play. That's what the league's decision was.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

This game won't be played tomorrow. Bills are flying back to Buffalo tonight.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Defense5599 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:11 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:07 pm Restarting the game comes with logistical challenges. The Bills were probably scheduled to fly back to Buffalo tonight. The Bills would have to find lodging in the Cincinatti area for tonight to play the game tomorrow. What hotel could handle lodging 100 personnel on short notice? Trying to restart the game on Thursday would leave a short gap to play the final game on Sunday, or even Monday. Player's health then becomes a real concern. There probably isn't a good solution for either of these teams or other teams that could be affected by the outcome of this game.
I don't think there is either... but this is a matter of life and death. There is no way they could've continued playing tonight.
I agree, restarting the game tonight would have been the worst thing the NFL could do.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:58 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:53 pm

The other thing is that if they give both teams a W I cannot possibly imagine any other team begrudging them that. One of them would have most likely won. To call it a tie seems to hurt both teams and thus seems exceedingly unfair. I think they should both get a win.
I said what I said

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Praying that God grants strength to that young man.

I can’t begin to imagine how hard this is for his family, friends and fans.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:20 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:58 pm

The other thing is that if they give both teams a W I cannot possibly imagine any other team begrudging them that. One of them would have most likely won. To call it a tie seems to hurt both teams and thus seems exceedingly unfair. I think they should both get a win.
Chiefs and Ravens may not like it.

Tough call on what to do. A Wednesday game is possible if Hamlin recovers with both teams games next week being pushed to Monday. There’s a window to play a Monday playoff game, too, the following week so they may be able to work it out. So let’s hope good news comes out of the hospital and we can then focus to that.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

I hope Hamlin is OK. I can't imagine how will it take for the Bills players to get emotionally over the injury and be ready to play again.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

True but There is no scenario without negative consequences. A win for both minimizes the damage imo 🤷‍♀️
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said what I said

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:24 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:20 pm
Chiefs and Ravens may not like it.

Tough call on what to do. A Wednesday game is possible if Hamlin recovers with both teams games next week being pushed to Monday. There’s a window to play a Monday playoff game, too, the following week so they may be able to work it out. So let’s hope good news comes out of the hospital and we can then focus to that.
That would be fair IF they absolutely have to play this game. Otherwise, wins, losses, ties, don't count it, give the Bengals a win/Bills a loss because that was the score was, I honestly can't care enough. Just hope he's okay.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:25 pm I hope Hamlin is OK. I can't imagine how will it take for the Bills players to get emotionally over the injury and be ready to play again.
I don't think he's ever gonna be "ok". Hamlin will never play again.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Moozician wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:28 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:25 pm I hope Hamlin is OK. I can't imagine how will it take for the Bills players to get emotionally over the injury and be ready to play again.

Based on what, your lack of experience as a medical professional?
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

I wouldn't be so sure. The most likely cause is commotio cordis. He took a hard hit square to the heart. If it was within a window of milliseconds at the end of his heartbeat, it can cause exactly this. It happens more often in baseball. The big risk is if his brain was deprived of O2. As long as his brain is ok, the rest should heal up as good as new.

No, I am not a doctor but most of my family is in healthcare and this was their theory.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

The Outsider wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:39 pm

Based on what, your lack of experience as a medical professional?
Yep... I've got enough training to know that there is now heart damage. And depending on how long he was oxygen-deprived there may be brain damage as well. If they didn't use the paddles within one minute (assumung Commotio Cordis) there will be heart damage. I don't think they recognized and gave APPROPRIATE medical attention within that time span, resulting in ventricular fibrillation for too long.

But no... I'm NOT a Doctor. I'm a Certified ICD-10 medical coder.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

The one good thing is that he is most likely getting the best possible care right now
I said what I said

Snake

Post by Snake »

I’m not optimistic. But I’m trying to be hopeful.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Defense5599 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:43 pm This was the scariest thing I have ever seen in a football game. The NFL made the right decision postponing this game. I don't see a way to continue playing... especially if Hamlin doesn't make it.
This. Though I'd add that if this happen in the locker room out of site they would've totally continued.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:11 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:09 pm So apparently the league didn't even make the decision to call the game...

No the league made a decision that once the ambulance was off the field the players would have 5 minutes to get ready to go back and play. That's what the league's decision was.
There's no other way to say this:

Being an NFL fan is fucking gross sometimes.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."