Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
The Outsider

Re: Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

Post by The Outsider »

Moozician wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:55 pm
The Outsider wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:39 pm

Based on what, your lack of experience as a medical professional?
Yep... I've got enough training to know that there is now heart damage. And depending on how long he was oxygen-deprived there may be brain damage as well. If they didn't use the paddles within one minute (assumung Commotio Cordis) there will be heart damage. I don't think they recognized and gave APPROPRIATE medical attention within that time span, resulting in ventricular fibrillation for too long.

But no... I'm NOT a Doctor. I'm a Certified ICD-10 medical coder.
Ah, yeah, knowledge of medical coding in no way qualifies you to speculate on any of that.

Especially since you don't know his diagnoses codes since you don't have access to the information. Which is ironic, given your training.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:06 am
Moozician wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:55 pm

Yep... I've got enough training to know that there is now heart damage. And depending on how long he was oxygen-deprived there may be brain damage as well. If they didn't use the paddles within one minute (assumung Commotio Cordis) there will be heart damage. I don't think they recognized and gave APPROPRIATE medical attention within that time span, resulting in ventricular fibrillation for too long.

But no... I'm NOT a Doctor. I'm a Certified ICD-10 medical coder.
Ah, yeah, knowledge of medical coding in no way qualifies you to speculate on any of that.

Especially since you don't know his diagnoses codes since you don't have access to the information. Which is ironic, given your training.
True... I just know what I saw on the field, and it seemed like a long time to me.
My speculation in no way affects anyone though.

Hopefully Damar does pull through.
arizona480

Post by arizona480 »

Interesting take, makes sense and quite unlucky timing....

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Moozician wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:14 am
The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:06 am

True... I just know what I saw on the field, and it seemed like a long time to me.
My speculation in no way affects anyone though.

Hopefully Damar does pull through.
What is the difference between CPR and an AED for this particular issue? If they did CPR in the first 30 seconds, but did not use the AED until 1:30 does that make a huge difference?

I am hoping he got treatment quickly enough. I know they focus on treatment for this, but the training is more focused on Baseball, Lacross, Hockey, and other sports involving a small hard ball (or puck).
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Focusing on the positive, his go fund me is now up over 3.2M
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW

Post by MJW »

Not a doctor, don't play one on TV. Was this a condition lurking in the shadows that was going to threaten his life at some point no matter what? Or could this be like the infamous commotio cordis punch in combat sports? Or do we have no idea yet?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
reagan SMASH

Post by reagan SMASH »

Have been lurking on this board since its inception (I used to post on the old one) but decided to finally register since this is a discussion I can contribute to.

I'm a physician. Just to be clear, not a cardiologist or ED physician, but a radiologist, so this is not my area of expertise. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, there has been lots of discussion about commotio cordis, which is the most likely thing that happened. This can happen to anyone and does not mean there was an underlying cardiac issue...it just means he had an impact force to the heart at the exact wrong point in the cardiac cycle. This happened to a 3rd grader at my school when I was a child who was hit by a pitch and he tragically passed. When you see non-impact cardiac arrest (like Christian Eriksen playing soccer or runners during a race), that's when you think about underlying conditions or a random arrhythmia. CC is different in that it's about the impact. It's horrifically bad timing. The other thing I thought when I saw what happened was an acute trauma to the aorta, but I doubt that's what happened since he was resuscitated and stabilized. As for the tweet about him being "sent to Neuro", that's not surprising...unless he's in heart failure, he should have a restored, normal rhythm by now. The main question will be if he suffered an anoxic brain injury due to being without oxygen. They'll start with CT and also likely do an MRI as well as possibly CT perfusion, among other imaging studies.

This is just a tragic situation. My prayers are with him and his family and teammates.
Last edited by reagan SMASH on Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

reagan SMASH wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:44 am Have been lurking on this board since its inception (I used to post on the old one) but decided to finally register since this is a discussion I can contribute to.

I'm a physician. Just to be clear, not a cardiologist or ED physician, but a radiologist, so this is not my area of expertise. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, there has been lots of discussion about commotio cordis, which is the most likely thing that happened. This can happen to anyone and does not mean there was an underlying cardiac issue...it just means he had an impact force to the heart at the exact wrong point in the cardiac cycle. This happened to a 3rd grader at my school when I was a child who was hit by a pitch and he tragically passed. When you see non-impact cardiac arrest (like Christian Eriksen playing soccer or runners during a race), that's when you think about underlying conditions or a random arrhythmia. CC is different in that it's about the impact. It's horrifically bad timing. The other thing I thought when I saw what happened was an acute trauma to the aorta, but I doubt that's what happened since he was resuscitated and stabilized. As for the tweet about him being "sent to Neuro", that's not surprising...unless he's in heart failure, he should have a restored, normal rhythm by now. The main question will be if he suffered an anoxic brain injury due to being without oxygen. They'll start with CT and also likely do an MRI as well as possibly CT perfusion.

This is just a tragic situation. My prayers are with him and his family and teammates.
Thanks for joining dude
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Shannon Sharpe is not on Undisputed today. Skip is doing the show alone.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:07 am Shannon Sharpe is not on Undisputed today. Skip is doing the show alone.
Oh damn. Wow
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:13 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:07 am Shannon Sharpe is not on Undisputed today. Skip is doing the show alone.
Oh damn. Wow
He confirmed that his bosses at FOX called him last night after the tweet because as he admitted he doesn't follow anyone or see any tweets. He only tweets.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:16 am
Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:13 am

Oh damn. Wow
He confirmed that his bosses at FOX called him last night after the tweet because as he admitted he doesn't follow anyone or see any tweets. He only tweets.
Of course they did. This one was not going to be easy to just get over and ignore
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

reagan SMASH wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:44 am Have been lurking on this board since its inception (I used to post on the old one) but decided to finally register since this is a discussion I can contribute to.

I'm a physician. Just to be clear, not a cardiologist or ED physician, but a radiologist, so this is not my area of expertise. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, there has been lots of discussion about commotio cordis, which is the most likely thing that happened. This can happen to anyone and does not mean there was an underlying cardiac issue...it just means he had an impact force to the heart at the exact wrong point in the cardiac cycle. This happened to a 3rd grader at my school when I was a child who was hit by a pitch and he tragically passed. When you see non-impact cardiac arrest (like Christian Eriksen playing soccer or runners during a race), that's when you think about underlying conditions or a random arrhythmia. CC is different in that it's about the impact. It's horrifically bad timing. The other thing I thought when I saw what happened was an acute trauma to the aorta, but I doubt that's what happened since he was resuscitated and stabilized. As for the tweet about him being "sent to Neuro", that's not surprising...unless he's in heart failure, he should have a restored, normal rhythm by now. The main question will be if he suffered an anoxic brain injury due to being without oxygen. They'll start with CT and also likely do an MRI as well as possibly CT perfusion, among other imaging studies.

Great post. I'd just like to add that intubation, being on a ventilator, and being sedated (mostly because being on a ventilator with a tube down your throat is terrible) is pretty common for trauma patients from what I've heard from family who are in the business.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:21 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:16 am

Of course they did. This one was not going to be easy to just get over and ignore
I don't watch the show, I pull up clips on Twitter or YouTube from time to time. It's pretty embarrassing today for Skip.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:33 am

I don't watch the show, I pull up clips on Twitter or YouTube from time to time. It's pretty embarrassing today for Skip.
Especially since he's supposedly a journalist and succinct, clear writing is a key part of the job and education required for the job. That tweet, while I immediately understood what he actually meant, was worded in about the worst possible way.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

There is a low chance that the NFL can pull off schedule changes to make this game happen, but I don't think it likely.

They play on Thursday night.

Their Sunday games are moved to Monday afternoon, as the college national championship owns the evening.

Whoever wins plays on Sunday in the wild card round, and one other game which might have played on Sunday of Wild Card weekend play on Saturday instead, if that's even needed, 50/50 chance they'd have played on Sunday anyway and if the Bills somehow win and get the #1 seed, they rest anyway and the wild card weekend goes on as normal.

Four days between week 17 and week 18 then six days to the playoff game. Three games in ten days, but we did that once on purpose. We were gassed the third game, and the hotels, visiting fans, etc. would be screwed over, but it COULD still be done?

That the suits haven't canceled the game yet means they're doing the same thing I just did as a bystander.
Last edited by Xandtar on Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I'm a Skip hater because he's just a screamer that looks for clicks/views, etc. Keeping that in mind, my guess is that his bosses at FOX are actually happy about his actions as he's getting talked about more than normal today.

If FOX was really upset with his actions, he would not be on the air today.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:45 am

Especially since he's supposedly a journalist and succinct, clear writing is a key part of the job and education required for the job. That tweet, while I immediately understood what he actually meant, was worded in about the worst possible way.
Whatever education he acquired to become a journalist is long lost. He's been so deep into being the "Skip Bayless character" for so long that being an asshole is 2nd nature to him. He can't help it. Any time he's trying to be sincere, the character takes over. He's trained himself to be cold, heartless and care about sports 1st, last, only. This man is void of any humanity.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

A lot of people with poor comprehension skills. I knew immediately that Bayless's point was that the magnitude of the game was irrelevant when compared to the injury of Hamlin.
nybf

Post by nybf »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:49 am

I'm a Skip hater because he's just a screamer that looks for clicks/views, etc. Keeping that in mind, my guess is that his bosses at FOX are actually happy about his actions as he's getting talked about more than normal today.

If FOX was really upset with his actions, he would not be on the air today.
Correct. They're so happy they gave him the time slot all to himself.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:51 am

Whatever education he acquired to become a journalist is long lost. He's been so deep into being the "Skip Bayless character" for so long that being an asshole is 2nd nature to him. He can't help it. Any time he's trying to be sincere, the character takes over. He's trained himself to be cold, heartless and care about sports 1st, last, only. This man is void of any humanity.
Bro, he worded a tweet very poorly. That should be recognized, but when faced with situations like these it's almost always incompetence over malevolence as the problem.

Skip didn't read his tweet back, because I guarantee you that if he did he would have edited it before posting. The guy might be an asshole, but he never struck me as a sociopath.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:51 am

Bro, he worded a tweet very poorly. That should be recognized, but when faced with situations like these it's almost always incompetence over malevolence as the problem.

Skip didn't read his tweet back, because I guarantee you that if he did he would have edited it before posting. The guy might be an asshole, but he never struck me as a sociopath.
I get you and I agree. What I'm saying is the character overtook the man, hence the poorly worded tweet in a moment of sincerity.

Skip Bayless is a character. John Bayless II is the man. John isn't a sociopath. Skip 100% is. Watch him in other settings, these might as well be 2 different people. John attempted to write that tweet last night but Skip shined through.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:16 am
The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

I get you and I agree. What I'm saying is the character overtook the man, hence the poorly worded tweet in a moment of sincerity.

Skip Bayless is a character. John Bayless II is the man. John isn't a sociopath. Skip 100% is. Watch him in other settings, these might as well be 2 different people. John attempted to write that tweet last night but Skip shined through.
I get what you're saying. At least you could tell he did actually feel bad about it in the apology tweet.

TIL: Rick Bayless is Skip's brother.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I want to give Skip the benefit of the doubt. But all his soft moments come off as maudlin and phony, to me.

That said, I do think his original tweet was just shite composed.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:18 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:16 am

I get what you're saying. At least you could tell he did actually feel bad about it in the apology tweet.

Their upbringing was pretty rough iirc. Abusive alcoholic household, chaotic.

Both went on to success and fame.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

His biggest flex is perhaps his biggest problem. He doesn't follow anyone, doesn't read his read replies, he just tweets. No checks & balances, no accountability. Just go to the gun range, fire all the ammo you want, don't even see what or who you hit.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:20 am I want to give Skip the benefit of the doubt. But all his soft moments come off as maudlin and phony, to me.

That said, I do think his original tweet was just shite composed.
It's one thing to be insensitive about mental health like he was with Dak, that's a problem with his entire generation and how they were raised, it's another to be callous about what was obviously a life or death situation. That's the only reason I think his apology was actually genuine. People can be uncharacteristically compassionate when faced with something that forces them to consider the fragility of human life.

Shit, even Suzy Kolber who is one of my favorite sports journalists ever kind of sucked at handling it. Booger was by far the best on the broadcast team, which made me proud but also didn't surprise me. I've had limited interaction with Booger over the years through charity golf events and shit and he has always struck me as a really normal, genuine, and thoughtful guy. Schefter did well also. And Ryan Clark's words were similarly moving.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:22 am
The Outsider wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:18 am

Their upbringing was pretty rough iirc. Abusive alcoholic household, chaotic.

Both went on to success and fame.
Sounds about right for kids that grew up with parents that owned a restaurant.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

I saw the tweet before all the backlash started and didn't think much of it. Are people taking the "irrelevant" part the wrong way? How I read it, he was saying everything game/competition wise is now deservingly irrelevant because a man's life was on the line. I didn't see it as him saying it undeservingly took a back seat due to the situation. And I don't like skip at all.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Heisenberg wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:49 pm I saw the tweet before all the backlash started and didn't think much of it. Are people taking the "irrelevant" part the wrong way? How I read it, he was saying everything game/competition wise is now deservingly irrelevant because a man's life was on the line. I didn't see it as him saying it undeservingly took a back seat due to the situation. And I don't like skip at all.
It was a less than elagently phrased tweet that anyone with even room temperature IQ should've been able to accurately interpret, but the smooth brains and virtue signalers/pearl clutchers used it as a way to spew hate and vitriol.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

He even tried softening his words in his original tweet with that last line, "...which suddenly seems so irrelevant." Instead of that line, however, hindsight dictates that, before hitting the send button, he should have deleted the tweet and started over. Or even better, deleted it gone to bed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Heisenberg wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:49 pm I saw the tweet before all the backlash started and didn't think much of it. Are people taking the "irrelevant" part the wrong way? How I read it, he was saying everything game/competition wise is now deservingly irrelevant because a man's life was on the line. I didn't see it as him saying it undeservingly took a back seat due to the situation. And I don't like skip at all.
Exactly how I read it. "How will the NFL reschedule this game if they postpone it? Regardless, it's irrelevant in the face of a young man's health."
Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:57 pm Or even better, deleted it gone to bed.
You just described the entire problem with Twitter. Mash the keys as fast as possible because "I have to be first!"