Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
nybf

Re: Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

Post by nybf »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:38 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:31 pm

This was 1971. I can understand that. I'm sure the was no announcement that he had passed away. People didn't have cell phones or social media either. I wonder how it impacted players.
I am sure they noticed, despite the absence of social media, that a man was dead. I mean, come on.
You think it's easy moving goal posts? Especially when the easiest move was already taken?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:38 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:31 pm

This was 1971. I can understand that. I'm sure the was no announcement that he had passed away. People didn't have cell phones or social media either. I wonder how it impacted players.
I am sure they noticed, despite the absence of social media, that a man was dead. I mean, come on.
You're probably right. Hard to speak on something from 52 years ago that I had no knowledge of before today
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Nobody wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:40 pm My nonprofessional understanding is that the longer someone is continuously intubated, it becomes decreasingly likely that things change.

So far as I can tell, he isn’t undergoing procedures that would require continued intubation? If they have tested to see if he can breathe on his own then I’m not seeing where its been reported (neither have there been any leaks about brain function).

Has there been any information about either of those things?
From what I’ve heard on tv from doctors, the biggest concern is brain damage and if he has had neurological setbacks from this. No one knows because they haven’t released much information, but if he has suffered some brain damage from this, it’s obviously a concern. I pray that is not the case.
Snake

Post by Snake »

They will not know the extent of that until he is woken up, right?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

And that's the last time anyone at that medical center will say anything to him, ever. But lung damage, like that which can happen with extended CPR, would necessitate a ventilator and that alone might be a good reason to keep him under a little longer.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

From reports coming out from Matt Parrino, Bills reporter who says he talked to Hamlin’s uncle, he is now breathing 50% on his own compared to 0% last night. On a ventilator still. If true, that is trending in the right direction.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Navybuc wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:23 pm From reports coming out from Matt Parrino, Bills reporter who says he talked to Hamlin’s uncle, he is now breathing 50% on his own compared to 0% last night. On a ventilator still. If true, that is trending in the right direction.
I'll confess utter ignorance here, but that's a thing? I thought you either had a tube down your throat doing your breathing for you, or you did it on your own. No percentages involved?
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Moozician wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:53 pm
Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:02 pm There is one other option.

The Bengals were ahead.

Give them the win and move on. Yes the Bills fans will howl, but they were in fact behind when the game was called.
What is the cutoff for a "complete" game?
Some sports (NASCAR for instance had rules for calling a race due to weather, and if the race was over 50% complete, the leader at that time was awarded the race. This was sometime ago, when racing wasn't all butchered up like it is now.

Does the NFL have a similar rule?
) ?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Dang it sounds like he was very close to death. They had to resuscitate him again at hospital. Thank God it appears he’s trending up.

https://kion546.com/sports/cnn-sports/2 ... am-says-2/
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Navybuc wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:23 pm From reports coming out from Matt Parrino, Bills reporter who says he talked to Hamlin’s uncle, he is now breathing 50% on his own compared to 0% last night. On a ventilator still. If true, that is trending in the right direction.
This is great news. He may never play football again, but at least he'll be able to meet his kids and grandkids.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
reagan SMASH

Post by reagan SMASH »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:31 pm
I'll confess utter ignorance here, but that's a thing? I thought you either had a tube down your throat doing your breathing for you, or you did it on your own. No percentages involved?
No, there are varying degrees of ventilatory support. Before a patient gets weaned off a ventilator, they prove they can breathe on their own while still being intubated. Basically, the ventilator provides less and less support as the patient breathes more on their own with the goal eventually being removing the tube.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

reagan SMASH wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:07 pm

No, there are varying degrees of ventilatory support. Before a patient gets weaned off a ventilator, they prove they can breathe on their own while still being intubated. Basically, the ventilator provides less and less support as the patient breathes more on their own with the goal eventually being removing the tube.
He might have a trach in right now.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I know I'm usually the optimist on here, but if he pulls through I will be stunned.
reagan SMASH

Post by reagan SMASH »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:09 pm He might have a trach in right now.
Why do you say that? I would put the chances of him having a trach at close to 0% based on the information that's public. Trachs are usually done for longer term ventilation support and for airway compromise. Someone who had an acute event 24 hours ago would not need a trach unless they had a obstruction or trauma requiring them to bypass the upper airway.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think he’ll pull through. My question is whether or not he’ll be the same person.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Good article touching on general protocol and the injury.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/a-co ... 478be.html
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

reagan SMASH wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:14 pm
_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:09 pm He might have a trach in right now.
Why do you say that? I would put the chances of him having a trach at close to 0% based on the information that's public. Trachs are usually done for longer term ventilation support and for airway compromise. Someone who had an acute event 24 hours ago would not need a trach unless they had a obstruction or trauma requiring them to bypass the upper airway.
If you say so.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:33 pm Good article touching on general protocol and the injury.

Good read. Much better than the wild speculation some are doing. We are so used to instant gratification we can't even wait for things like this to sort out.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

Really hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling they are keeping him alive long enough for family to get to Cincy.......

Maybe some team mates that want to say good-bye and so on.

If it was cardiac arrest and his heart is beating again that is no longer the issue, right?

The issue becomes how long was his heart stopped. If it was too long he could be brain dead, a vegetable.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but that's where I'm leaning.

I wouldn't be surprised if his family and the NFL already know the outcome, they're just managing the situation best that can now.

Prayers to the man and his family.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

On a more positive note, over 5.7 million and counting.....

Kid was wise beyond his years.

https://gofund.me/01e78364
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Welcome! Good to see you here!
I said what I said

Wharf Rat

Post by Wharf Rat »

It means that, on Monday night, his FI02 (fraction of inspired oxygen) was 100%. Yesterday they were able to wean him down to 50% FI02, which is good news. Nearly ready to be weaned off completely.

Also, I imagine that they performed a "code cool" after reaching ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation). They do this primarily to protect the brain from any further damage.
Last edited by Wharf Rat on Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wharf Rat

Post by Wharf Rat »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:09 pm
He might have a trach in right now.
It's too early for that. Generally speaking, that happens at around 10 days of being intubated.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Navybuc wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:58 pm
Nobody wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:40 pm My nonprofessional understanding is that the longer someone is continuously intubated, it becomes decreasingly likely that things change.

So far as I can tell, he isn’t undergoing procedures that would require continued intubation? If they have tested to see if he can breathe on his own then I’m not seeing where its been reported (neither have there been any leaks about brain function).

Has there been any information about either of those things?
From what I’ve heard on tv from doctors, the biggest concern is brain damage and if he has had neurological setbacks from this. No one knows because they haven’t released much information, but if he has suffered some brain damage from this, it’s obviously a concern. I pray that is not the case.
One thing to consider is that there is no need for them to rush. They've probably done structural scans of his heart and brain by now, so the fact that he hasn't apparently had any surgeries is a good thing. Some of the more precise brain scans take time and specialized equipment/personnel to perform and then subsequently interpret the results.

Given the fact that this is such a high profile case and patient they definitely don't want to rush and fuck something up.

That said, anything could be happening right now. We simply don't know, I just choose to try to look for silver linings.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:35 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:33 pm Good article touching on general protocol and the injury.

Good read. Much better than the wild speculation some are doing. We are so used to instant gratification we can't even wait for things like this to sort out.
People have always speculated amongst themselves about events they've witnessed but not had part in.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The Outsider wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:24 am That said, anything could be happening right now. We simply don't know, I just choose to try to look for silver linings.
I am just hoping that things turn out well for him. Waiting for official reports and ignoring wild speculation.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:20 am
The Outsider wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:24 am That said, anything could be happening right now. We simply don't know, I just choose to try to look for silver linings.
I am just hoping that things turn out well for him. Waiting for official reports and ignoring wild speculation.
This.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Well I think the statements from the uncle are encouraging. It sheds light on just how close he was to losing his life. The fact he had to be resuscitated twice is difficult to overcome and why I’m sure he’s still in very critical condition and nowhere near out of the woods.
Snake

Post by Snake »

nybf

Post by nybf »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:51 am

Well I think the statements from the uncle are encouraging. It sheds light on just how close he was to losing his life. The fact he had to be resuscitated twice is difficult to overcome and why I’m sure he’s still in very critical condition and nowhere near out of the woods.
Maybe we should stop depending on reports from an uncle who heard from someone else who heard from someone else.

GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

What I hope to hear soon is that Hamlin's condition has been upgraded to serious, he is breathing without aid and his brain functions appear normal.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Who saw this as a possible resolution to the Bills Bengals game dilemma?

nybf

Post by nybf »

13F11B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:20 am Waiting for official reports and ignoring wild speculation.