Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
uscbucsfan

Re: Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

Post by uscbucsfan »

Moozician wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:53 pm
Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:02 pm There is one other option.

The Bengals were ahead.

Give them the win and move on. Yes the Bills fans will howl, but they were in fact behind when the game was called.
What is the cutoff for a "complete" game?
Some sports (NASCAR for instance had rules for calling a race due to weather, and if the race was over 50% complete, the leader at that time was awarded the race. This was sometime ago, when racing wasn't all butchered up like it is now.

Does the NFL have a similar rule?
Rule 17 covers this:
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Article 6 doesn't apply because the game WAS started at its scheduled time. That means with the NFLPA's consent, and that of all of the other teams in which seedings or even playoff possibility are brought in, The Commissar can do whatever the hell he wants. It's getting all those consents that are likely the problem now. Considering the term used is "terminate", not "cancel-after-the-fact" or "give-both-a-win", it looks like the Bengals won the game unless they can reschedule the whole damned league for the playoffs.

Edit: They could do just that. Kill the week between the AFC and NFC championship weeks, push all the other games back one week, and let the Bills-Bengals game be the sole attraction of what had been wild-card weekend. It is the ONLY option I can see in which the game could be finished with no one being adversely affected as per Article 4.
Last edited by Xandtar on Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:09 pm Article 6 doesn't apply because the game WAS started at its scheduled time. That means with the NFLPA's consent, and that of all of the other teams in which seedings or even playoff possibility are brought in, The Commissar can do whatever the hell he wants. It's getting all those consents that are likely the problem now.
Correct. And the Commissioner doesn't have the ability to declare a winner or tie in this situation, right now, because by rule as it impacts competitive standings. It seems, after next week if the Bengals lose, Ravens lose, Bills lose, and Chiefs win...he could declare it a tie, because things would be locked in.

If the Ravens win and the Bengals lose next week, it seems the game will have to be played.

Right now, according to the site below the only options are to play the game or not count it for either team (no win/loss/tie) and the player pay would be prorated 16 games and the playoff positioning would be based on win % by the rules.

https://www.footballzebras.com/2023/01/ ... nded-game/
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:14 pm
Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:09 pm Article 6 doesn't apply because the game WAS started at its scheduled time. That means with the NFLPA's consent, and that of all of the other teams in which seedings or even playoff possibility are brought in, The Commissar can do whatever the hell he wants. It's getting all those consents that are likely the problem now.
Correct. And the Commissioner doesn't have the ability to declare a winner or tie in this situation because by rule as it impacts competitive standings.

It seems the only options are to play the game or not count it for either team (no win/loss/tie) and the player pay would be prorated 16 games and the playoff positioning would be based on win % by the rules.

I edited my post. There is ONE possibility. The NFL moves the whole playoff structure back one week, so that the NFC and AFC championship games are only one week before the Super Bowl. Most playoff teams get a bye week as what had been Wild Card Sunday becomes Bills vs. Bengals possibly for the #1 Seed.
nybf

Post by nybf »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:14 pm and the player pay would be prorated 16 games
I can't see the Union being ok with that
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:19 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:14 pm and the player pay would be prorated 16 games
I can't see the Union being ok with that
That's the crazy part, they have to approve it too...or the game will have to be played.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:19 pm

Correct. And the Commissioner doesn't have the ability to declare a winner or tie in this situation because by rule as it impacts competitive standings.

It seems the only options are to play the game or not count it for either team (no win/loss/tie) and the player pay would be prorated 16 games and the playoff positioning would be based on win % by the rules.

I edited my post. There is ONE possibility. The NFL moves the whole playoff structure back one week, so that the NFC and AFC championship games are only one week before the Super Bowl. Most playoff teams get a bye week as what had been Wild Card Sunday becomes Bills vs. Bengals possibly for the #1 Seed.
That's what was suggested on ESPN today and killing the Pro-Bowl week.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I'm with ESPN. Let's get rid of the flag football game and give all playoff teams except at least one of the two teams, Bengals or Bills, a bye week.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I actually think this is the most likely scenario. In fact, I've been listening to the radio pretty much all day today at work and heard Boomer Esiason, Adam Schefter, and a couple others pretty much say they this is the most likely option. One way or another, there's going to be a pushback, whether it be postponing all the games this week and playing Cincy/Buffalo Monday or Tuesday night, or playing the regular schedule this week and rescheduling Cincy/Buffalo the following week, and pushing the playoffs back. The game is too important, and not just for Buffalo and Cincinnati. This impacts Baltimore and KC. And if Buffalo doesn't play NE this weekend, it impacts Miami. It's unfortunate, but this is like the most important game of the whole season in terms of home field advantages for the AFC. I'm not sure you can just cancel it or hand out ties. Too much rides on it.

Of course, this is all assuming Hamlin recovers. I'm nervous and worried that he could be in worse condition than we think. No one's really come out and said much other than that "he's fighting" and he's still in intensive care. They're being very quiet on it. If the worst happens, I would assume the games this week would all be postponed and I don't know if Buffalo can mentally recover to even play the following week. I hope and pray that's not the case.

It's uncharted waters. First things first, we need to see how Hamlin is doing.
Last edited by Navybuc on Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:20 pm

Oh, Fuck the Pro-Bowl. Fuck a bunch of Pro-Bowls.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Bucs join every NFL team in changing their Twitter avatars

Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

This is what I was talking about above. Boomer Esiason thinks the playoffs will get pushed back.

https://awfulannouncing.com/radio/boome ... edule.html
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Moozician wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:31 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:20 pm

There are certainly a number of pro bowls that weren't worth a fuck.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

13F11B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:11 pm
Moozician wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:31 pm
There are certainly a number of pro bowls that weren't worth a fuck.
Once they moved the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl, I stopped giving a fuck. I actually enjoyed it the week after the Super Bowl because it had a purpose. It was a nice "cool down" game where fans could see their favorite stars playing together and having fun one last time before settling in for the long offseason.

Moving it to the week before the Super Bowl defeated that purpose and also took players from four teams out of it.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Kress

Post by Kress »

The Pro Bowl should be the skills competitions and that's it. Those things are (were) the only fun.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Tom Brady donated 10K to Hamlin's toy drive fund. The amount of generosity after the hit has been quite astounding. It was at like 4k before the game last night. Now, it's at 4.7 million. Just gotta hope that Hamlin will eventually be able to see it.
Last edited by Nano on Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:19 pm The Pro Bowl should be the skills competitions and that's it. Those things are (were) the only fun.
I’m pretty sure that’s actually what the pro bowl is this year.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:41 pm
Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:19 pm The Pro Bowl should be the skills competitions and that's it. Those things are (were) the only fun.
I’m pretty sure that’s actually what the pro bowl is this year.
For real? Huzzah!
Nano

Post by Nano »

Yeah, that got rid of the actual game for a bunch of skill competitions. They realized that nobody actually cared about the game lol
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

People gave Skip a lot of shit for his poorly worded tweet, but I took it as him expressing just how unmovable the NFL is. They didn't stop for Ryan or Tua... now in the air is millions in fantasy betting, playoff seeding, etc... I was honestly shocked the league didn't force a continuance. While it would've made the league look just awful, that would've eventually blown over. At least that's usually how the league plays these sort of things.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:57 pm People gave Skip a lot of shit for his poorly worded tweet, but I took it as him expressing just how unmovable the NFL is. They didn't stop for Ryan or Tua... now in the air is millions in fantasy betting, playoff seeding, etc... I was honestly shocked the league didn't force a continuance. While it would've made the league look just awful, that would've eventually blown over. At least that's usually how the league plays these sort of things.
"Sorry your teammate almost died but the bookies said you should keep playing."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:57 pm People gave Skip a lot of shit for his poorly worded tweet, but I took it as him expressing just how unmovable the NFL is. They didn't stop for Ryan or Tua... now in the air is millions in fantasy betting, playoff seeding, etc... I was honestly shocked the league didn't force a continuance. While it would've made the league look just awful, that would've eventually blown over. At least that's usually how the league plays these sort of things.
The league has never had "this sort of thing" occur before.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 pm
"Sorry your teammate almost died but the bookies said you should keep playing."
Unless stopping play will help your teammate... Pretty much yeah. If he had walked into the locker room first, I promise that's how it would've gone.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote: ↑Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:57 pm
People gave Skip a lot of shit for his poorly worded tweet.

It wasn't so much poorly worded as it is that there are so many people who are severely lacking in comprehension skills.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:15 pm
Chuck Hughes died on the field. Full stop. Died.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pm

But he died! He didn't almost die! Checkmate. [\boots]
Kress

Post by Kress »

nybf wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:03 pm

But he died! He didn't almost die! Checkmate. [\boots]
I think I still hit the goalpost.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I've never heard of this before.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

And they finished the game.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:15 pm And they finished the game.
Because that was back in the 1970s when players were making five figure salaries as opposed to seven/eight figures.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

This was 1971. I can understand that. I'm sure the was no announcement that he had passed away. People didn't have cell phones or social media either. I wonder how it impacted players.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:28 pm
Because that was back in the 1970s when players were making five figure salaries as opposed to seven/eight figures.
Yeah, I am sure there were people over there with abacuses doing the calculations.

What in the actual fuck, dude?
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:31 pm
This was 1971. I can understand that. I'm sure the was no announcement that he had passed away. People didn't have cell phones or social media either. I wonder how it impacted players.
I am sure they noticed, despite the absence of social media, that a man was dead. I mean, come on.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

My nonprofessional understanding is that the longer someone is continuously intubated, it becomes decreasingly likely that things change.

So far as I can tell, he isn’t undergoing procedures that would require continued intubation? If they have tested to see if he can breathe on his own then I’m not seeing where its been reported (neither have there been any leaks about brain function).

Has there been any information about either of those things?
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

No. I think the lawyers got to every employee in the place to say nothing to anyone about anything going on in the Cincinnati Medical Center.