Rapid Reactions Week 1: 31-29 Win Vs Cowboys

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Dread

Re: Rapid Reactions Week 1: 31-29 Win Vs Cowboys

Post by Dread »

This was that 3rd and 16 play that got Dallas into FG range after they had just got called for holding Vea on the previous play.

This is fucking holding and way more obvious than any push off Godwin might have done to a CB already on their heels.

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 am I think our defense is better than we saw last night. The game plan sucked on defense. Yes, Dak is the best QB against the blitz. But that doesn't you continuously drop your best pass rushers into coverage. I don't know what Jamel Dean is good at. But bail coverage ain't it. He got picked on big time. And Ross Cockrell? Yea, I don't buy the "he put up good snaps last season" defense. He's got to step it up with SMB like to miss a couple of games.
Meh, I think the game plan to put the game in Dak's hands in his first game back was the correct one. We were just sloppy with the execution along with penalties. We know Bowles wants to make offenses one dimensional and the Cowboys were exactly that as their 58 pass attempt would indicate.

100% on Dean in bail coverage, or playing off in general. He's a guy that needs to be in press man where he can utilize his length and speed, the guy runs in the 4.2 range so he can keep up/close like all good press man CBs must. He's just a much better CB when playing press man vs the game plan last night.

Maybe when SMB went out we didn't feel comfortable playing as much press man since Cockrell would be exposed (which he was on that TD).

Hopefully SMB doesn't have to miss much time, we should know more today. Glad we have some extra days off before Atlanta.
I would've liked to see more variety. We didn't confuse him or their Oline presnap at all. They knew where all of our rushers were coming. They knew the coverages we were playing and knew where Jamel Dean was. I probably would've believed SMB being out effected the coverage if not for the fact that even when he was in we were in a lot of bail looks. That's how he got scored on when he was injured. But I'd still take him over Cockrell. It's crazy to think we got away with him being the 4th corner. I know 4th corners aren't going to be superstars or anything. But damn! He did not play well last night.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:01 am The game against the Rams last year was worse IMO. Bears game also but that was on the road on a short week with a beat up team. That Rams game though was more brutal than the score would indicate.
For sure, we played many worse games than this last season. I'd argue most of those first 12 games last year were worse than last night.

Last night on offense we were pretty fucking efficient. Stopped ourselves more than anything. But miles ahead of where were at the beginning of last season.

AB and Gronk look to be in much better shape and more in sync in the offense. Godwin and Evans look fine. The Oline kept Brady clean and was getting consistent push in the run game.

Bucs just need to clean some things up. Some penalties and a couple sloppy plays here and there, but 31pts will win most weeks for this team.
And no run game to speak of I might add. This shocked me most. Dallas was terrible against the run last year. I thought for sure we'd see some lanes for Rojo & Fournette to run through. They turned out accounting for 2 of our 4 turnovers.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brady is throwing 45+ TDs these year.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:35 am
Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 am
For sure, we played many worse games than this last season. I'd argue most of those first 12 games last year were worse than last night.

Last night on offense we were pretty fucking efficient. Stopped ourselves more than anything. But miles ahead of where were at the beginning of last season.

AB and Gronk look to be in much better shape and more in sync in the offense. Godwin and Evans look fine. The Oline kept Brady clean and was getting consistent push in the run game.

Bucs just need to clean some things up. Some penalties and a couple sloppy plays here and there, but 31pts will win most weeks for this team.
And no run game to speak of I might add. This shocked me most. Dallas was terrible against the run last year. I thought for sure we'd see some lanes for Rojo & Fournette to run through. They turned out accounting for 2 of our 4 turnovers.
Rojo's fumbling is now officially a problem. That's 6 fumbles on 457 scrimmage touches. Not sure we can just memory-hole him the way we did Vaughn, either. He's going to have to figure it out. He's sitting on the Rashaan Salaam razor right now.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Not to pick on our own guys, but when LVD almost intercepted that pass on third down, how did he not get called for a 15 yarder after taking his helmet off and slamming it on the ground? I though that if you willingly take your helmet off it is a penalty?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Anyway, my takeaway is this:

We were -3 in turnovers.
We had over 100 penalty yards.
We were outgained (I believe.)
We lost the TOP battle big time.
We had no running game.
We had back-breaking drops.
No aspect of our team was especially sharp or impressive, though our special teams looked much improved.

And we won anyway. Against a decent team.

Any good team can win when they're playing well. Winning when you play like trash is the mark of a great team. Though I hope we don't have to test the theory very often.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We have a tendency to give up long drives with high percentage of QB completion %. Last night Dak was 72%
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Our defense looks like it is way more advanced than some teams in planning for CTE avoidance.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:43 am We have a tendency to give up long drives with high percentage of QB completion %. Last night Dak was 72%
I mean, we do, but keep something else in mind:

Dallas mounted one legit drive that ended in a TD.

Lotta FGs.

One TD as a direct result of a turnover by the offense.

But only one actual "Drive down the field for 6" drive. Despite one of the most talented offenses in the NFL playing pretty darn well.
Let's roll another joint
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

We held Zeke to 33 yards rushing, if we don’t turn the ball over twice in our own end the game isn’t that Close imo .
1st game and it’s impressive what we can do when we fix a few things.

Kellen Moore is a helluva a OC and gonna be a good coach

Interested to see what TE Pitts is gonna be like Sunday

Bring on the dirty birds, this game was a great wake up call and we still got the W
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:50 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:43 am We have a tendency to give up long drives with high percentage of QB completion %. Last night Dak was 72%

Lotta FGs.

But only one actual "Drive down the field for 6" drive. Despite one of the most talented offenses in the NFL playing pretty darn well.
2 of their TD drives were 75 yards. We only forced them to punt 3 times in 13 drives. Also had a 72 yard drive and a 60 yard drive that ended in FGs yes. Bigger picture though for me was 53% on 3rd down. We couldn't get off the field. To mdbs point, and it's a good one, we had a number of long drives. That will have to be cleaned up.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:59 am

Lotta FGs.

2 of their TD drives were 75 yards. We only forced them to punt 3 times in 13 drives. Also had a 72 yard drive and a 60 yard drive that ended in FGs yes. Bigger picture though for me was 53% on 3rd down. We couldn't get off the field. To mdbs point, and it's a good one, we had a number of long drives. That will have to be cleaned up.
I'm not saying it's ideal by any stretch. Our pass rush didn't get home often enough and our coverage often appeared too soft with that in mind. We played poorly and beneath what we're capable of. I don't think anyone would argue any of that.

But Dallas, with their offense generally clicking, Dak not missing a beat, and three of the most dangerous receivers in the league, managed to drive down the field for a touchdown once. That's all.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:03 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:59 am

I'm not saying it's ideal by any stretch. Our pass rush didn't get home often enough and our coverage often appeared too soft with that in mind. We played poorly and beneath what we're capable of. I don't think anyone would argue any of that.

But Dallas, with their offense generally clicking, Dak not missing a beat, and three of the most dangerous receivers in the league, managed to drive down the field for a touchdown once. That's all.
Where's this "they drove down the field for a TD once" coming from? They literally had 2 TD drives of 75 yards. Do one of them not count as driving down the field or something?

We had TD drive of 75 yards or more. It went 94 yards. Our other TD drives were shorter fields. I wouldn't say Dallas D deserves credit for allowing only 1 "drive down the field" TD drive.
Last edited by King Bootz on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Lotta FGs.

It is not as bad if we are being a consistent quick scoring machine, it turns bad when you punt and give turnovers and the other team is controlling the clock and keeping the ball away from your offense.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I was at the game…

Oh my god!

Brady is the god
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:06 am

Lotta FGs.

It is not as bad if we are being a consistent quick scoring machine, it turns bad when you punt and give turnovers and the other team is controlling the clock and keeping the ball away from your offense.
FWIW, I'm going to predict that -3 on turnovers is the worst mark we'll see all year, and none of them were of the Jaboo "herp a derp" variety. Only the Rojo fumble was really concerning. The Fournette thing...we can not target him 10 times in the passing game again. The Hail Mary, whatever. The Godwin fumble was one of those things. Coming out of a spin, perfectly timed helmet on the ball.

Without the -3, the TOP issue goes from -8 minutes to a lot closer to dead even.
Let's roll another joint
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:10 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:06 am

FWIW, I'm going to predict that -3 on turnovers is the worst mark we'll see all year, and none of them were of the Jaboo "herp a derp" variety. Only the Rojo fumble was really concerning. The Fournette thing...we can not target him 10 times in the passing game again. The Hail Mary, whatever. The Godwin fumble was one of those things. Coming out of a spin, perfectly timed helmet on the ball.

Without the -3, the TOP issue goes from -8 minutes to a lot closer to dead even.
that pass to LF as TB was falling down was very JW-ish... had that been picked the fanbase would have needed to do a Scooby Reveal
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am
MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:03 am

Where's this "they drove down the field for a TD once" coming from? They literally had 2 TD drives of 75 yards. Do one of them not count as driving down the field or something?

We had TD drive of 75 yards or more. It went 94 yards. Our other TD drives were shorter fields. I wouldn't say Dallas D deserves credit for allowing only 1 "drive down the field" TD drive.
They had 2? I only remembered 1 such drive. Mea culpa.

With Dak in mid-season form already, it's *possible* we don't play a better offense NFL all year. We gave them 4 turnovers (3 of which mattered, 2 of which handed them instant scoring opportunities.) We had way too many penalties on defense, and our defense did not play well on the whole. We still held them under 30.

This is not doom and gloom. This is, "We did not play well and beat a good team that did play well despite losing the turnover battle, losing the yardage battle, losing the TOP battle, and having one of our key starters go out early."
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Noles1724 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:15 am
MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:10 am

that pass to LF as TB was falling down was very JW-ish... had that been picked the fanbase would have needed to do a Scooby Reveal
That was a bizarre moment from Brady. But the difference is, Brady will recognize it as the terrible decision it was. Jaboo would blame someone or something else.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am This was that 3rd and 16 play that got Dallas into FG range after they had just got called for holding Vea on the previous play.

This is fucking holding and way more obvious than any push off Godwin might have done to a CB already on their heels.

The NFL office is controlling everything and the on field ref's are just puppets. Camera work also, they control what they want us to see and what they don't want us to see. Side line plays at the marker are being decided very quickly (it's short or first down). Stopping it from bring a process and quickly moving forward.

The neutral zone infraction on Suh was wrong, the o-line did move and they sped things up where it didnt even get looked at till after another play was done and still got ignored by the announcers.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Brady threw at 68% till those last three throwaways for the field goal.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

@mdb1958 How many rushing 1st downs did we have?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:20 am @mdb1958 How many rushing 1st downs did we have?

Yes! I do know.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:18 am
Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am This was that 3rd and 16 play that got Dallas into FG range after they had just got called for holding Vea on the previous play.

The NFL office is controlling everything and the on field ref's are just puppets. Camera work also, they control what they want us to see and what they don't want us to see. Side line plays at the marker are being decided very quickly (it's short or first down). Stopping it from bring a process and quickly moving forward.

The neutral zone infraction on Suh was wrong, the o-line did move and they sped things up where it didnt even get looked at till after another play was done and still got ignored by the announcers.
If "they" control what we see, then wouldn't this imagine not be viewable?
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Noles1724 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:30 am

Checkmate.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Maybe this was a cell phone camera? :P
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bucs defense…. Yikes
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Rocker wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am

Checkmate.
Control what we see and whether or not anything gets done about it BEFORE THE NEXT PLAY. Another words conditioning you to accept "that's the way it is".

On my TV the view on that play was a millisecond. In fact I don't even remember seeing it. I do remember thinking Dallas has holding down to where it doesnt get called.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

I hate when we try so hard to lose!
Push the damned button already!
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

It was captured but not in the timeframe for them to do anything about it that they already knew they didnt want to do anything about it
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Why so salty?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Because he’s Lugz
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:56 pm Sweet Baby Jesus. Please bless SMBs arm. Make it better ASAP.

Amen

Hope he's better but he's the weakest player on the defense.

Yes, I know he got 3 picks in the playoffs but was burnt more than anyone else in football last year.

Without more pressure up front we are going to make a lot of average/decent QB's look like Hall of Famers.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

LUGZ wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:39 am Question: Why was our banner ceremony such dogshit? Why was everyone just standing in the tunnel? Why did we not even have a banner? Why is our 2020 campaign displayed with the same gravitas as a hamburger advertisement?
Because only chicks, casuals and kids care about that stuff.

It's 2021, focus on getting another one rather than living off past success.

Brady is keeping the boys head on right for a repeat.....