Rapid Reactions Week 1: 31-29 Win Vs Cowboys

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Rapid Reactions Week 1: 31-29 Win Vs Cowboys

Post by Snake »

“Tom, which ring is your favorite?”

“The next one.”

He says it every time. He really doesn’t care that he’s won before.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don’t think we win Dallas game with Winston

No chance in hell
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:09 pm I don’t think we win Dallas game with Winston

No chance in hell
Of course not. They probably lose by 20.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Our RB's will be fine. Jones shouldn't have been in the doghouse. The fumble was frustrating, but it was more a great play by Lawrence than a blunder by Rojo.

Our biggest challenge is the same as last year - our long Corners struggle covering underneath and in space against quick receivers.

We compensated for that on the Super Bowl run with an elite front 7.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:12 pm
Phantom wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:09 pm I don’t think we win Dallas game with Winston

No chance in hell
Of course not. They probably lose by 20.
Jesus, at least.

Imagine adding Winston's 4-5 weekly horrible decisions into that mix. Tommy made one, really, and it was a catch anyway.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:54 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:56 pm Sweet Baby Jesus. Please bless SMBs arm. Make it better ASAP.

Amen

Hope he's better but he's the weakest player on the defense.

Yes, I know he got 3 picks in the playoffs but was burnt more than anyone else in football last year.

Without more pressure up front we are going to make a lot of average/decent QB's look like Hall of Famers.
You must have never heard of Jamel Dean.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:17 am
Noles1724 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:15 am

that pass to LF as TB was falling down was very JW-ish... had that been picked the fanbase would have needed to do a Scooby Reveal
That was a bizarre moment from Brady. But the difference is, Brady will recognize it as the terrible decision it was. Jaboo would blame someone or something else.
Well that's just not true. Jameis sucks but he usually takes the 'that's on me I gotta do better' approach. Have never seen him blame or put down a teammate.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Neither SMB nor Dean are very good imo.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Nice to come out with the W, but definitely some stuff to clean up. I'll chalk it up to Week 1.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 am I'm really looking to more of this 3rd down pre-snap look on defense.

7 defenders at the LOS

Vea and Suh as the EDGEs to push the Offensive Tackles backwards

Then have 5 guys (Shaq, JPP, Tryon, Devin, and LVD) in-between them that the 3 interior + 1 RB have to identify correctly and block.

Lord have mercy..

I know it was commented on last night, but kudos to Zeke in passpro last night. He was basically their 6th OL and did a good job keeping Devin and LVD off of Dak.

Bowles’ defense gets more and more complicated as the year goes on. I think he has some nasty shit dialed up out of that set.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I think it's clear if we could add one player to this team, a true #1 CB ala Jalen Ramsey would be it. Davis would be an excellent #2, and everyone could just slide down a spot.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:20 pm
Patrick McIrish wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:54 am

Hope he's better but he's the weakest player on the defense.

Yes, I know he got 3 picks in the playoffs but was burnt more than anyone else in football last year.

Without more pressure up front we are going to make a lot of average/decent QB's look like Hall of Famers.
You must have never heard of Jamel Dean.
Heard of him, didn't know he was the starter.
Patrick McIrish

Snake wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:26 pm Neither SMB nor Dean are very good imo.
I agree.

Although for it being an almost 500 yard performance against us I thought Dean played decent last night.....

Certainly better than I expected.
Patrick McIrish

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:30 pm I think it's clear if we could add one player to this team, a true #1 CB ala Jalen Ramsey would be it. Davis would be an excellent #2, and everyone could just slide down a spot.
Definitely the weak spot on the team.

Everyone back and we absolutely blew a couple coverages early in the game.

You can get away with that playing Dallas but not against the better teams, we need to clean that up.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:38 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:30 pm I think it's clear if we could add one player to this team, a true #1 CB ala Jalen Ramsey would be it. Davis would be an excellent #2, and everyone could just slide down a spot.

You can get away with that playing Dallas but not against the better teams, we need to clean that up.
It's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hammer the CB position in the draft next year. Not only are our guys not very good, but they are starting to come off their cheap rookie deals as well.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:10 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:06 am

It is not as bad if we are being a consistent quick scoring machine, it turns bad when you punt and give turnovers and the other team is controlling the clock and keeping the ball away from your offense.
FWIW, I'm going to predict that -3 on turnovers is the worst mark we'll see all year, and none of them were of the Jaboo "herp a derp" variety. Only the Rojo fumble was really concerning. The Fournette thing...we can not target him 10 times in the passing game again. The Hail Mary, whatever. The Godwin fumble was one of those things. Coming out of a spin, perfectly timed helmet on the ball.

Without the -3, the TOP issue goes from -8 minutes to a lot closer to dead even.
I disagree on the turnovers. Of all the turnovers the Godwin fumble was the worst. RoJo had it punched out perfectly. It was a damn good defensive play. Fournette’s tipped pass leading to the interception was too high from Brady although he still should have caught it.

Of those 3 Godwin’s fumble is what nearly did us in. He has to play smarter than that in the red zone. You know a TD seals the game here and you’re surrounded by defenders…be smart. Godwin’s fumble reminded me of the Browns playoff fumble against the Chiefs. The WR should have been smart and protected the ball.
Patrick McIrish

BLT wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:23 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:17 am

That was a bizarre moment from Brady. But the difference is, Brady will recognize it as the terrible decision it was. Jaboo would blame someone or something else.
Well that's just not true. Jameis sucks but he usually takes the 'that's on me I gotta do better' approach. Have never seen him blame or put down a teammate.

Absolutely correct.

Plenty to get on Winston about but that's just not one of them, he's almost positive with his teammates to a fault.

Brady jumps on team mates much more often. The good thing about that though is he's always right, they deserve it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Very scary to think CD3 is a free agent after the season.
Patrick McIrish

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 pm

It's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hammer the CB position in the draft next year. Not only are our guys not very good, but they are starting to come off their cheap rookie deals as well.
Holes are going to start sprouting up but I agree, just can't imagine we don't strongly address it next draft.

I don't know if the philosophy is we focus up front and with all that expected pressure from blitz-happy Bowles we can get away with average corners or what?

It's a problem though, for example you aren't going to dominate the LOS against the Chiefs this year like we did in the SB.

BTW that pick to LF was high and behind him. Not just stone hands, plenty of RB's would have struggled with that ball.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:46 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:10 am

FWIW, I'm going to predict that -3 on turnovers is the worst mark we'll see all year, and none of them were of the Jaboo "herp a derp" variety. Only the Rojo fumble was really concerning. The Fournette thing...we can not target him 10 times in the passing game again. The Hail Mary, whatever. The Godwin fumble was one of those things. Coming out of a spin, perfectly timed helmet on the ball.

Without the -3, the TOP issue goes from -8 minutes to a lot closer to dead even.
I disagree on the turnovers. Of all the turnovers the Godwin fumble was the worst. RoJo had it punched out perfectly. It was a damn good defensive play. Fournette’s tipped pass leading to the interception was too high from Brady although he still should have caught it.

Of those 3 Godwin’s fumble is what nearly did us in. He has to play smarter than that in the red zone. You know a TD seals the game here and you’re surrounded by defenders…be smart. Godwin’s fumble reminded me of the Browns playoff fumble against the Chiefs. The WR should have been smart and protected the ball.
Godwin’s fumble could've been a backbreaker. By far the worst of the 4 we had. He deserves credit for fighting for extra yards but this is the NFL. Things like that come at a cost sometimes and the Cowboys made him pay.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

That would make this defense unbelievable.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Anybody check on @LUGZ today? We won so I want to make sure he's not too depressed.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:57 pm
Primeminister wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:46 pm

Godwin’s fumble could've been a backbreaker. By far the worst of the 4 we had. He deserves credit for fighting for extra yards but this is the NFL. Things like that come at a cost sometimes and the Cowboys made him pay.
Exactly. Credit for fighting, but not if you’re going to put your team in danger of losing the game. It was simply a stupid play.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 am This defense is very flawed if it can't get to the QB.
Flawed is a decided euphemism for what it is if our pass rush doesn't improve by leaps and bounds.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 pm

I seriously doubt our corners look this bad later in the year. This same group looked bad in several games last year, yet went on to play great football for 8 straight games to win the ring. This was just game 1. Everyone needs to relax.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

LUGZ wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:04 pm Any corners we could make a trade for by chance?
Zero chance
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

LUGZ wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:04 pm Any corners we could make a trade for by chance?
I'm sure we could if we're prepared to give up some significant draft capital.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

One positive for sure was STs. Succup hit his kicks, Pinion had some amazing punts, and Mickens really flashed as a returner…

When was the last time we had a returner who was consistently making stuff happen like Mickens did last night?
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:18 am
Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am This was that 3rd and 16 play that got Dallas into FG range after they had just got called for holding Vea on the previous play.

This is fucking holding and way more obvious than any push off Godwin might have done to a CB already on their heels.

The NFL office is controlling everything and the on field ref's are just puppets. Camera work also, they control what they want us to see and what they don't want us to see. Side line plays at the marker are being decided very quickly (it's short or first down). Stopping it from bring a process and quickly moving forward.

The neutral zone infraction on Suh was wrong, the o-line did move and they sped things up where it didnt even get looked at till after another play was done and still got ignored by the announcers.
What was up with the refs giving the Cowboys two yards in the second half? They ran a running play, and the running back was stopped two yards short of the first-down line (I realize that line is superimposed by the broadcast, but it's never two yards off). Michaels or Collinsworth said it would be third-and-two, and the next thing you know the ref is walking the ball up to the superimposed yellow line and placing it...I've never seen a more incompetent/corrupt moment in all of sports.

Anybody else catch that? I was stunned.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

LUGZ wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:17 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:10 pm

I'm sure we could if we're prepared to give up some significant draft capital.
Well...I mean...why not? We just had a big weakness potentially exposed that could literally cause the demise of our super bowl run.

I won't bang the drum but it should be an option to consider.
Should we try not to overreact after 3 quarters without him or should we go ahead and invest future draft capital in a different player?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I think the bigger issue is our depth at the position. Dak had a QB rating of 19 when targeting Carlton last night (including 3 forced incompletions and a INT), it was Dean and Cockrell getting picked on. Dallas getting Cooper in the slot against Cockrell was baaaad for us.

Obviously getting a Jalen Ramsey would be wild but Carlton is a good enough #1.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

LUGZ wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:03 am Well if the NFL is truly scripted, then everything we've ever seen is completely invalid and fake. Is that truly the direction anyone wants to go? Because there is no other logical conclusion.
I don't like to consider that possibility, but there were a couple plays last night that made me wonder. One was one in the second half when the Cowboys RB was stopped two yards short of a first down on a run, one of the commentators commented that it would be third-and-two, and then, inexplicably, with no comment or explanation from the announcing team, one of the refs took the ball and walked it two yards up to the first-down line, spotted it, and signalled first down as the broadcast scoring window at the bottom changed to show it was first down.

The second was less obvious. We were on defense, and on one play one of our D-linemen or linebackers got around his blocker and had a straight path to Prescott...and then stopped, for a full second at least, to wait for Prescott to throw the ball...

I was watching a college game, with my Vols, a few years ago, and the team we were playing had a long play - I don't remember whether it was a completed pass, or a run. What I do remember is that the player with the ball was running down the sideline, only had one guy to beat...And the guy he had to beat, got to the spot before he did - but ran straight out of bounds, didn't even try to tackle him, as though he were communicating to NFL scouts, "Look, I'm in position here to make this play but it's not in the script."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:22 pm
LUGZ wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Well...I mean...why not? We just had a big weakness potentially exposed that could literally cause the demise of our super bowl run.

I won't bang the drum but it should be an option to consider.
Should we try not to overreact after 3 quarters without him or should we go ahead and invest future draft capital in a different player?
Exactly. I thought my response to LUGZ that we could if we gave up SIGNIFICANT draft capital would've been an indication that going that direction would be less than ideal. I want to see what this pass rush is able to do 1st before we react on Jamel Dean and Ross Cockrell sucking ass and SMB being out for a few weeks.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

I really was thinking this during the game. Can't we just convince somebody to take half our practice squad in exchange for a ballhawk?
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Dread wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:23 am
Digital_Damage wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:17 am Was Mike Evans stoned out there? Several very catchable balls he was slow to react to.
There were two that I recall. Both I believe were deflected by a diving defender.

I think Evans would admit he should've caught both since they reached his hands, certainly that first one.

Not his best performance, but with our weapons we can absorb a C- type of game from Evans once in a while. It's a nice luxury.
The first one wasn't touched. You can see on the replay Mike thought it was picked off and didn't even try to catch it, he was so surprised it got through.